Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: Tasers to target ice addicts

Xihias said:

that seems a lot of volts ay !!
I was told that it was the amount of amps that determines how deadly a bolt of electricity is?

I was told that it was the amount of amps that determines how deadly a bolt of electricity is?

Yes,

The ability for current to flow is governed by "ohms law" or V = I x R

where V = voltage, I = current (amps) and R = resistance

Rearranging ohms law

I = V / R

we see that current flow is dependant on the voltage divided by the resistance. For a moment we will consider the resistance to only be the body - in this case determined by the saline nature of the skin i.e. skin resistance.

So, voltage is like the ability to push electrons - the Electromotive force - resistance is the opposition to the push, and current the amount of electrons flowing.

On that basis, with skin resistance being typically ~ 50,000 ohms and the voltage of the devices being ~50,000 Volts

Using Ohms law;

I = V / R = 50,000 / 50,000 = 1 amp

BUT, 1 amp would fry you.

However, like the maximum current available from a battery, the maximum current from a taser is also limited by the internal resistance of the taser, which determines the power of the device or how many watts it can deliver.

P = I x V where P = power in watts.

Tasers use a pulsed DC current, where the delivered amount of power is measured in Joules of energy; i.e. the amount of energy released as watts per second

Joules = P (watts) x Time (seconds)

So, the internal resistance, (as seen in batteries or any non-constant current power supply) sets the maximum current.

Circuit design can also produce a current limiting effect. Put simply, if the resistance at the body end is low, this current limiting results in a voltage drop, and according to ohms law, if the voltage drops and the load (body) resistance stays the same, the current will drop also.

OK, we now know that tasers produce a pulsed current which is limited. This pulse, while not producing an alternating current (AC) nevertheless delivers approximately 0.3 joules of energy, well within the range of a 9V battery.

There is some controversy however on the safety of tasers. The most pertinent points/questions are:

1) Is the current limited solely to the skin i.e. does it circulate through internal organs? i.e. does the skin behave like a faraday cage with the pulses used?

2) Can fibrillation occur at below normal levels through the action of the taser (taser =0.3 joules, fibrillation normally requires 10-30 joules)

3) Are the puncture wounds produced by the taser - which redden after the barbed ends are removed - rightly classified as first degree burns?

4) Does someone with certain medical predispositions present an increased risk of death or serious injury?

What is being asked here in relation to this topic is whether - because of the stimulant effects of methamphetamine - drug users who are tasered will be more prone to heart attack or related problems. I believe the Jury is still out on that one, although there have been several instances where death has resulted from the use of tasers.

Well before tasers were commonly [?] seen in Australia, while at a party I had the displeasure of seeing one in action. A friend was intentionally shot by another dude who wanted to see what this new "toy" could do. The poor guy's feet simply shot out from underneath him and he fell backwards hitting his head hard on the ground. Very Nasty Stuff. He recovered, but was shaken for some time and worse still, he had to abstain from drinking for a few minutes ;)

Building high voltage gear was once one of my favourite past times. I built devices such as Tesla coils, Van der graff generators Wimshurst wheels, Layden Jars, monster spark generators..... and I received quite a few shocks, one or two of which should have killed me. Despite my survival rate, I still have very strong reservations about the across the board safety of tasers and talon type devices. I would rather see police use some of the other "non-lethal" weapons such as the net gun or the sticky foam which, while disabling, do not inflict pain nor have the potential risks of the taser.

Personally i think it should be reserved as a very last resort, and only for meatheads (by that i mean big mother fuckers)

The police should be able to use their own force to detain them. But when you have skinny 5ft 2 policewomen walking through the streets of kings cross, what good are they gonna do?
Police on the beat should be solid, and well trained to take out a person in a rage IMO. Sexual equality is dangerous. For both the police person and the trouble maker.

oh and im pretty sure police in the US used a taser on a drugged up guy (on stimulants and acid i think).
It didn't floor him, it just pumped him up more, and so they repeatedly shocked him.
Then his heart went into those fast palipitations/convulsions (or whatever its called) and he died. can anyone confirm this?
there was a video of it i think (couldn't really see it on the video though), and the police just left him alone on the floor to die.

phase_dancer
Building high voltage gear was once one of my favourite past times. I built devices such as Tesla coils, Van der graff generators Wimshurst wheels, Layden Jars, monster spark generators.....
Sounds like my mates in 1st year physics.. what is with physics geeks and wanting to electrocute everything ;)
I would rather see police use some of the other "non-lethal" weapons such as the net gun or the sticky foam which, while disabling, do not inflict pain nor have the potential risks of the taser.
I agree. There hasn't been one mention of the these less extreme devices which in all probablility would be as equally as effective than a taser. The cops seem to go to extreme lengths to introduce new harmful weapons while in the background exists a range of less drastic/non-harmful weapons. It seems - at least from media reports I've witnessed - that these other options were never even considered 8)

LOL the police here are currently trialling tasers as well, only time and stats from oz govt will tell when they can start doing it on the ice people :(

Teen dies after police shoot him with a stun gun

JERSEYVILLE, Ill. -- A teenager carrying a Bible and shouting, "I want Jesus" was shot twice by police with a stun gun and died at a St. Louis hospital, authorities said.

In a statement obtained Tuesday by the Associated Press, police in Jerseyville, about 40 miles north of St. Louis, said Roger Holyfield, 17, would not acknowledge police who approached him in an intersection, and he continued yelling, "I want Jesus."

Police tried to calm him, but Holyfield became combative, the statement said. Officers fired the stun gun at him after he ignored their warnings, then fired again when he continued struggling, police said.

Holyfield was flown to St. Louis' Cardinal Glennon Hospital after the confrontation Saturday. He died there Sunday, police said.

After a preliminary autopsy Tuesday, deputy chief medical examiner Dr. Phillip Burch told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the boy might have died of "excited delirium" and that "he could have dropped dead without being Tased." He said he didn't see overt signs of injury or foul play.

Excited delirium can be brought on by mental illness or drugs, Burch said

(Source)

What the hell is excited delirium and how does one die from it? I'm guessing they mean a heart attack. I'm having a hard time believing that he'd likely have "dropped dead without being tased".

If this can occur on a 17 year old who is not under the influence of drugs but is having what appears to be a psychotic episode why the hell are the police even considering using it on people who would not only be having a psychotic episode but have the additional physical strain produced by methamphetamines?

"I want Jesus"
I'm trying really hard not to make really bad taste jokes here... Imagine how freaked out the cops/anyone would be with an insane guy running at them with a bible screeming about jesus... sounds like a fanciful acid encounter ;)

Teen dies after police shoot him with a stun gun

JERSEYVILLE, Ill. -- A teenager carrying a Bible and shouting, "I want Jesus" was shot twice by police with a stun gun and died at a St. Louis hospital, authorities said.

In a statement obtained Tuesday by the Associated Press, police in Jerseyville, about 40 miles north of St. Louis, said Roger Holyfield, 17, would not acknowledge police who approached him in an intersection, and he continued yelling, "I want Jesus."

Police tried to calm him, but Holyfield became combative, the statement said. Officers fired the stun gun at him after he ignored their warnings, then fired again when he continued struggling, police said.

Holyfield was flown to St. Louis' Cardinal Glennon Hospital after the confrontation Saturday. He died there Sunday, police said.

After a preliminary autopsy Tuesday, deputy chief medical examiner Dr. Phillip Burch told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the boy might have died of "excited delirium" and that "he could have dropped dead without being Tased." He said he didn't see overt signs of injury or foul play.

Excited delirium can be brought on by mental illness or drugs, Burch said

(Source)

fark how many people need to die before they realise that stun guns are STUPID.
there are seriously some dumb people in this world.
that's the second death ive heard from stun guns in america now.
i suppose the police could argue in this case, that he WAS asking for it :p

Why are all these meth heads worried about BPM while copping a taser? if your heart was really a concern u wouldnt use the shit in the first place. If the cops are dealing with a violent meth head u can be assured its already gone past the last resort or they wouldnt even be there. Does 4-MAR cause the same psychosis. sorry i presume people are refering to meth when they say ice?

FYI guy died here not long ago from a choke hold(police yes). should they ban that too? give them pink featherdusters to chase the addicts out of your suburb.........

What are you guys talking about? The police know tasers kill people, they call them "less lethal weapons". That's why they want them. They can get away with fucking people up without any investigations. If they shoot someone in the leg with their gun to disable them, they have a huge investigation, paid leave, etc. If they taser someone 6 times and scar that person for life because they were resisting arrest, it's business as usual.

Coolio said:
What are you guys talking about? The police know tasers kill people, they call them "less lethal weapons". That's why they want them. They can get away with fucking people up without any investigations. If they shoot someone in the leg with their gun to disable them, they have a huge investigation, paid leave, etc. If they taser someone 6 times and scar that person for life because they were resisting arrest, it's business as usual.

couldnt of said it better myself..fucked up po-po and there shit systems and laws..
im out..

Coolio said:
please explain to me how shooting a teenager who was wandering around the streets shouting out "I want jesus" with a bible in his hand, warranted him getting shot with a "lesser LEATHAL weapon"
fucking bullshit. as i said earlier, the cops need to learn how to fucking detain a person without resorting to weapons in those sort of situations.
as i said before, a big reason for this problem is problably quite likely due to sexual equality with women on the beat.

Mr TIMO... did I say anything was warranted? I'm explaining why the police like tasers - because it enhances their ability to brutalize people and reduces officer liability for their sick behavior.

Coolio said:
Mr TIMO... did I say anything was warranted? I'm explaining why the police like tasers - because it enhances their ability to brutalize people and reduces officer liability for their sick behavior.
fair enough.
i wasn't getting angry at you btw. it's just the system. fuck the system, fuck the government etc... LOL