Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News Kids smoking cane toads

speedygonzales

Bluelighter
CHILDREN as young as 12 are licking cane toads in an attempt to get high, the Northern Territory News has learned.

Some juveniles and young adults in Katherine and Arnhem Land are even drying out the skins of cane toads and rolling them up as joints to get a hit.

But Territory health authorities have warned that those who lick or smoke cane toads are dicing with death and stress that there are no hallucinogenic effects possible from bufo toxin, the toxin excreted by the introduced pest.

Director of emergency medicine at Royal Darwin Hospital Didier Palmer said anyone who ingests bufo toxin is more likely to die than get high from it.

``These are very foolish and dangerous acts,'' he said.

``Anyone who does this runs the very serious risk of seizures, a rapid loss of consciousness, cardio-vascular collapse and death.''

Researchers investigating what substances petrol sniffers in Arnhem Land abuse were shocked to be told that some were skinning cane toads, drying them and smoking them.

Maranboy police also report they had to take a road worker into custody last month after he licked a cane toad while intoxicated.

It is understood the man's eyes rolled in the back of his head and he became extremely aggressive, and began shaking uncontrollably after licking the bufo toxin.

Officer-in-charge of Maranboy police, Brevet Sergeant Angelo Denale, said it was unclear whether the man's aggression was caused by alcohol or bufo toxin but warned against experimenting with the dangerous substance.

``Whether or not he became aggressive from licking cane toads, smoking cannabis or alcohol, it is a recipe for disaster,'' he said.

``Licking cane toads gives off some form of poison and it's obviously bad for your health.''

from
http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,16745130%5E13569,00.html

I find that heleriours what some people do to get high can toads are disgusting I would not even want to touch one let alone lick one but hey I'v never tryed it it might be good

must have watched homer do it on the simpsons. hope they could see jebus!!!

bloody tv!!!

I've heard of licking toads but smoking them?

I can only imagine how smooth the flavour would be ;)

speedygonzales said:

Some juveniles and young adults in Katherine and Arnhem Land are even drying out the skins of cane toads and rolling them up as joints to get a hit.

Haha, I can see it now.
Kid one: "hey mate, have you got a ciggie for the mix"
Kid two: "nah, but I've got a couple of toads"
Kid one: "yeah that'll do"

I just found this.
Not sure how accurate it is.

Licking these toads is a bad idea.

These toads, and many others in the Bufo family, exude the toxic chemical bufotenine, (also called bufotenin) which is, as stated in the node of the same name, not psychoactive in reasonable doses. It is psychoactive in "unreasonable doses", but the effects are not pleasant, and a psychoactive dose will have very unpleasant physiological effects as well. Cane toads in particular kill a lot of dogs and other pets every year in Australia. These deaths may be a result of the animals ingesting lethal doses of bufotenine and other chemicals when attacking, harassing or eating the toads, however, recent studies show that many poisonings are a result of toads leaving residual traces of their exudations in the pets' food bowls while attempting to eat their food. Bufotenin is chemically similar to serotonin; another name for bufotenin is dimethyl-serotonin.
From here.

And also this:
BOSFELD, JANE
Toad Tripping
OMNI; Dec 1989
It's not exactly a craze, but licking toads is the latest - and certainly the wierdest - way to get high. ''It is not a big problem, but when people hear about it they try it,'' explains Robert Sager, chief of the US Drug Enforcement Administrations's Western Regional Laboratory in San Francisco. The toad of choice is the Cane Toad, a tropical green and red toad that's a favorite among aquarium habitues. It secretes a toxin, called bufotenine to ward off predators. Ingesting bufotenine - by licking the toad, or killing it and boiling it's skin for a foul-tasting tea - will give you a high similar to that of psilocybin (a hallucinogen found in certain mushrooms). But, Sager warns, bufotenine will ''make you ill, and it is not terribly hallucinogenic. It's just not that great a high.'' Of course for those who don't mind licking a tailless amphibian, it might be possible to buy several and keep them on hand: Once a toad has been licked it secretes more bufotenine, so replenishing the supply would not be a problem. Although four Australians croaked last summer after drinking an especially strong batch of Cane-skin tea, no fatalities have been reported in this country. But, says Sager, a number of people have been hospitalized. Nevertheless, possessing a Cane Toad is not illegal if you do it for reasons other than getting high.
From here.

Strange, strange people.

There was an episode of Family Guy that dealt with kids licking toads to be cool. Piss funny! :D

I don't think it's very comman as regular poster on this site are 99% real drugies and we have never hear of people we know doing this

isn't the only way to take 'toad' smoking it(vapourisng)? from what i know u have to extract the venom(5-meo-dmt) then vapourise it, licking doesn't work

^^right you have to vapourise it in a base pipe, from what i have read the venom of the bufo alvarius (spelling might be wrong im high as fuck) is squeezed out from the venom gland above the eyes onto something flat and glass, it dries out and you have an impure form 5-MeO-DMT, there may be some bufotenine in there also as it is a bufo alvarius toad, and also that is not a cane toad, bufo alvarius live in america.

if someone want more info pm me but im wasted so im not typing anymore right now.

if i had a toad i would do it, as long as it doesn't harm it

as long as they kill plenty of cane toads, who gives a shit what people are doing with them? I say spread the word it gets you high, help thin out the numbers

speedygonzales said:
but has anybody on this site tryed it

*raises hand*

I own a male/female pair of Bufo Alvarius, not these Cane Toads, if the Cane Toads dont secrete 5-MeO-DMT then the kids wouldnt get fucked. But I know for a fact Bufo's do, along with bufonetine and other constituents. But these can all be removed with some simple solvent work to yield the pure 5-MeO-DMT. These kids 'getting high' off bufonetine are more likely getting high off 'dying'.

sourlemone said:
as long as they kill plenty of cane toads, who gives a shit what people are doing with them? I say spread the word it gets you high, help thin out the numbers

Haha, the cane toad numbers or the idiots who believe this actually gets them high?

^_^

Homer count: 2 (Possible 3)

Anyway... :)

I'm not sure what other chemicals these evil Australian deformed cane toads I see every night contain, but they befinately do contain 5-Hydroxy-DMT. Hang on, don't get too excited..... and go out snorting toad feces just yet! This chemical is what the toad wants it to be.. a poisen.. Does it have slight psychedelic effects? More so in the schizophrenic.. but yes.. But I'm sure poisenous snakes give you some geometrical shapes to look at before you die also..... There is no solid proof I am aware of that says 5-HO-n,n-DMT is indeed a neurotoxic drug (EVERYONE has boroowed my good books atm) to humans, but it does the following by memory: Very repressed breathing, inability to breathe consciously, slipping in and out of confused trances, dehydration, extreme nausea and body load.... It looks like this chemical was designed by mother nature to induce harm, not pretty colours and self-revelations.

These toads may also contain small amounts of 5-MEO-DMT, but I'm not sure. I'm sure phase_dancer will fill us in :). But, This parts interests me

It is understood the man's eyes rolled in the back of his head and he became extremely aggressive, and began shaking uncontrollably after licking the bufo toxin.

Maybe he was on MAOI anti-depressant medication but I don't see how this could work orally. Maybe there are some simular chemicals to harmine (I forget the family name atm, just woke up) so that not as much poisen needs to be created/used at once, and it has a lot better chances of working orally (or at all).

Sorry I haven't done the most research in this field, but I always assumed "licking toads" was a myth. I knew the Bufo frogs had tryptamines that were in their poison, but I assumed they had to be prepared into a brew with some native plants, or smoked as a residue/extraction.

Last edited:
The Cane Toad (Bufo Marianus) here in Australia is not a toad that you'd be wanting to lick or smoke, it doesn't contain 5 MeO-DMT from my understanding, but the most prominent chemical is 5 HO-DMT (bufotenine I think) which is not pleasant at all. There is a toad in America called the Sonoran Desert Toad (Bufo Alvarius) which you can collect the venom then dry it and smoke, the chemical in this one is 5 MeO-DMT which will get you real high

I saw Jonathan Ott last year and he spoke at some length about Bufo marinus. He stated that as well as the bufotenin, the cane toad venom contains Bufagins that are cardiotoxic. Aside from this, I've found bufotenin to be a very unpleasant chemical. I've not tried it from an animal source, but the few times I've used Anadenanthera colubrina seed have been horrible. I felt distinctly poisoned.

There's more info on the other chemicals found in bufo venom here.

Last edited: