Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS:400 rail users searched for drugs

Ultrasonic Deterrent

KII_Dazer_300x204.jpg

These are about $45-00, but could easily be built for around $10-15 in parts. Small disposable caseless types could be employed with suitable concealment, or simply be carried in the pocket. I'm not saying the device wouldn't rouse the attention of the dog owner/trainer, but how easy would it be to pick the person carrying the device in a crowd of hundreds? Besides, they might be carrying it simply to ward off the neighbors dog when walking home.

I can draw up a circuit diagram if anyone is keen to build one; only to be used for repelling dangerous dogs of course.

For the technical boffins, the output should be sinusoidal, and the level above 120db @1 meter, if possible. The range of frequencies (sweep) of the commercial models is generally between 21-26kHz. A report also listed 16kHz, but this was possibly due to poor design.

Circuit is simple. A VCA can be used to drive a sweeping oscillator. Peizo transducers are very efficient (energy in to energy out), and generally have a very high maximum frequency response. It may be worth checking an old mobile phone for a suitable second hand transducer.

All components are available through one of the larger electronics parts shops. Nothing should be expensive, so shop around if you have to.

Health warnings have been expressed concerning long term exposure to ultrasonic frequencies. For you conscientious objectors, the ultrasonics radiation warning label is a square containing cascading crescents, growing from a point source.

I wish to state that I don't recommend anyone break any law, particularly when it may have been erroneously viewed that I'm encouraging the serious crime of interfering with an officer carrying out his duty. I am NOT. A cab is a much safer all-round option if you can afford it.

However it may turn out that if the emitted ultrasonic field was localised to around your body, and levels of emision were below health concerns (~60-90db), it may turn out to easily defended in court. But then I'm no Lawyer.

As far as Bluelight is concerned, the most crucial thing is the reports of people necking several pills when confronted by police dogs.

This is a classic example of policy incompatibility; Zero Tolerance is clashing head-on with Harm Reduction. If you don't buy, sell or use drugs, then there may be little to be concerned about sniffer patrols, apart perhaps from the indignant feeling of personal invasion. The ethical issues have been covered before, as have concerns regarding users resorting to unsafe practices - desperation? Or feeling in their own mind it's "safer" to risk short-term safety- rather than to face the possible outcomes from getting busted.

We should continue to focus on this important issue, which sometimes feels like a step backwards for HM workers. They're generally busy enough without extra work assisting users who have been faced with this catch 22.

here's the link.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/disp.pl/au/cases/nsw/supreme_ct/2002/1157.html?query=~+darby+dogs

basically the law at the moment says that using ‘sensory perception’ (ie: a sniffer dog smelling you) is not a search unless the smell on you is so strong that the ordinary person could have easily smelt it (read the judge's comments on the american law!). because it is not a search, the police do not need a warrant, they only need reasonable suspicion, and they can get this from a variety of sources, including the information given to them by a trained dog.

that's kind of a simplistic analysis of the law as it stands. i've nearly finished a case summary, which is a billion times more complicated. i'd be happy to post it if ppl think it would be useful (it basically compares what the magistrate said with what the judge said and i'll also try to get the grounds of appeal to the high court).

so the magistrate said that using sniffer dogs was an illegal search. the dpp appealed to the supreme court and the judge said that glen had not actually been searched. glen appealed to the high court. they still have not listed the appeal. it most certainly won't be for at least three months. it'll be interesting if it gets heard before the federal election.....

i can see kidz rocking up at hardware stores all over .au covered in raver candy buying all the dog whistles to be found....

Happyguppy,

Great stuff and thanks for the link. I think you should definitely post your case note once you have finished it. Probably as a new thread called something like "Over zealous NSW police" ;) I would be happy to proof read it for you (Bluelight IM me if you want).

As I said, I am very interested in this area of law given that Australia does not have a bill of rights. It is always hard to argue that parliament has tried to overrule a common law right but let's hope they can do it.

Ciao

kks

Hey again

Well, I have read the NSW Supreme Court decision and I tend to agree that a dog sniffing you does not constitute a "search" under the act. A search really does require a phyisical intervention.

I woiuld submit however, the justice erred in his reasoning. The judge missed (or perhaps avoided?) the main issue brought up by the Magistrate. That is, does the use of a drug detection dog constitute a breach of those personal rights "recognised by the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights"? That is the big issue and the one that the High Court should (and hopefully will) deal with.

Using sniffer dogs is plainly a breach of the international covenant. I am not a huge dog fan. If a German Shepherd came up and sniffed me, I would freak out. I have a fear of being bitten and if I am walking down the street, sitting in a park or going to watch my favorite band, I don't want to have to deal with that fear. I should, as a basic human right, be free to comfortably walk down the street. The use of a sniffer dog is depriving me of that right. Surely even the police can't argue that some people would be pretty scared if they were sniffed by a big dog.. even those little Beagles at the airports make me jump.

Anyway, let's hope it all gets sorted out.

kks

no probs kks - will send you case note when it's done (am a bit busy at the moment so it'll be a few more days)

for those of you who are unaware, covenants and treaties are used to gain world unity on certain issues. they need to be ratified before they have any real standing, which involves getting a certain number of signatures from countries.

kks is right about the stuff on the 'international covenant on political and civil rights'. it's worth reading the link, but for for convenience sake, the convenant says;

1. no one shall be subjected to arbitrary or unlawful interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to unlawful attacks on his honour or reputation.

2. everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.”

even though australia has ratified the covenant, it does not make it australian law. it needs to be passed through parliament in the usual way for it to be legislation. however, it is still persuasive.

let's not forget that australia has a habit of ratifying treaties and covenants so that they are seen to be doing the 'right thing.' there is proof that our government has ignored the basic principles of ratified covenants and treaties to suit themselves (the tampa crisis automatically springs to mind).

i hope the high court give the covenant the recognition it deserves, but i would not be surprised if they don't. from a legal perspective, it just isn't australian law.

btw - rocky (or a friend of his) was out and about in the inner west last night. it's funny cos i saw two fare evaders running up the stairs to get away from some police at the train station, only to be met and searched by their colleagues, including a dog, further up the street. walkie talkies - a modern miracle of science!! (didn't wait around to see the outcome - had a date with a glass of wine, which turned into a bottle, but why my head hurts is another story).

Cool.. no rush.

Re international treaties.. the Tasmanian Dams case is fairly persuasive there.. even though it is more to do with the Commonwealth and State separation of powers. But still, they used the environmental treaty in that case even though it wasn't Australian law. You could make a strong argument for saying that as the Australian Federal government had ratified the international treaty, the States could not legislate laws that went against it.

I also think the appelant should argue that there is a common law right to privacy. Again a hard argument but it is certainly not unheard of to see the High Court find for common law rights.. not all legistlation is lawful let's not forget!

Anyway, take your time, have a good weekend and I might ask a few legal friends their POV on the issue.

Cheers

kks

Is this a sign of the future? It reminded me of American style policing, can just see the next installment will probably be a helichopter hovering above. You wouldn't see drug dogs being used in this mannor in Europe. I hate it when Australia copies America.
lets hope this leads to the comeback of masses of underground parties where you dont have to pay, theres plenty of drugs and fuck off to the next party when you hear the sirens comin..

btw.. dont waste your energy arguing about politics.. doesnt matter who is in power.. there is a higer plan.. and governments are there to CONTROL the people.. they are FOR the people.. something happening on a much larger scale that very few people can fathom.. you'd shit yourself if you knew.. when i found out thats all i thought about for months.. (www.davidicke.com has lots of interesting stories to do with government and mind control.. try the Superman story.. very compelling)
i totally avoid anything to do with goverment and control.. have just barred tv for good hopefully.. havent put a tax return in for about 7 years... i pay tax coz they take it out of my pay for me.. probably wouldnt if that didnt happen..

btw.. going to events.. it's always nice to have clean shoes on the day.. I find that washing them with ammonia is a really good way of getting them clean and also a deterrent for any sort of little creature that might be thrust into your ass.. ;)
As far as Bluelight is concerned, the most crucial thing is the reports of people necking several pills when confronted by police dogs.
also too true.. i have seen this happen to so many foolish friends of mind.. silly buggers.. lucky most of em pulled through not bad.. a lot of em were fucked though

Last edited:
Ha! Is David Ickie the best person to be listening to though? I mean as a goal keeper he was great - and when writing stories in football365 about the phsyc of footballers he had some awesome points - but a man hwo talks about reptilian shape shifters really does lose my respect. I see where you're coming from but talk of the illuminati and of the royals being shape-shifters really puts a dent in his credibility for mine! ;)

Re: Re: NEWS:400 rail users searched for drugs

pinkanga said:
So I take it the cops had a post-operation party? :D

Well i mean who carries 46 tablets, surely he was carrying 50 and 4 went to the party:)

Four to a police party? Give them *some* credit. The guy was most lilely carrying 100. Well, at least the sentence is reduced along with the number of pills.

This was my first enounter with the dogs in blue, not being from Sydney. A lot of fun to be sure. First heart attack was at Central Station coming to the platform, where there were about 6 cops and a dog. Cool as a cucumber, I muttered "Oh shit!" and swerved suddenly around it to get some distance. Way to be subtle! The dog then lunged at the 50 or so people behind me and the chickie cop laughed and chased after it.

A very tense train journey followed, then relief surged over me once we got to Olympic Park. Those fucking shipping containers, or was it after the tickets were collected? Suddenly I find myself head to head with about 6 dogs...another "subtle" swerve (surprised I wasn't checked due to dodgy behaviour) and I was giggling maniacally after I passed without incident. What a rush.

The dogs were doing fuck all at the time. They weren't sniffing people unless they walking right next to them and the cops were just standing in the one spot. They couldn't reach everyone and didn't even try. My guess is the cops themselves singled out people to be sniffed. Dunno what they looked for.

Someone I knew there there would've had quite a bit of stuff on him, but he didn't seem remotely concerned. A lot of pot around to. Whatever they were trying to achieve, it didn't stop copious amounts of whatever being consumed.

The Greens stall had some info on the dogs.

just do what a lot of drug fucked kids do at raves

go and try and pat the dog it fucks the cops off thats for sure