• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS:400 rail users searched for drugs

haha, thank god, I thought it was just me.

I normally wouldnt bother but I think PD had an important msg in there somewhere and thats wat i want.

the view of the figures sounds about right. ie, 75% of people searched via dogs. therefore a 75% success rate for the dogs.

I'll try to put things a little clearer this time.

CynaKill
28.gif
speculated, and others were nodding in agreement

I think p_d has been smoking crack again

If anything, it's actually it's a lack of drugs that has me writing in the above fashion, as apart from me and the odd wee bit of pot, we are in the midst of an intended long break phase atm :p

rasberrywatergirl wrote^^^ Hmmm, arent federal and state elections coming up and so p_d is urging us to enrol to vote, and actually vote sensibly. Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick...

Yep. that's all. I was simply trying to raise awareness regarding youth enrolment.

JJJ and the event mentioned have also been raising awareness and encouraging people to enrol. Why? Because there are so many young people not enrolled. Their vote could swing things any-which-way, particularly as many young people are unhappy with the major parties.

The series of events mentioned provides a place to register to vote (enroll). Intention to do this has resulted in some conservative or marginally elected politicians feeling rather threatened. And why shouldn't they feel threatened? It changes the whole voting landscape. Political advisors have to reassess directions and the policies with which candidates big note themselves.

If a greater percentage of the vote is in the hands of young people, then the issues which they consider important, suddenly become important to politicians whether the politicians like it or not. To conservatives, it spells big trouble. To some independents and forward thinking party members, it's great news.

With many of the issues concerning drug policy and youth centered activities yet to receive any mention by election candidates, upping the register of young people almost guarantees these issues will get addressed, and more importantly, that young people will be listened to when shaping those policies or proposals.

The future of large events in Aus is in jeopardy. H & S regulations, insurance costs, police and emergency responses, concerned or objecting locals etc, have all increased pressure on promoters. It would be nice to think kids of the future (and their keen parents) will get to experience the atmosphere of a Great Day Out. Some things have already become culture in Australia, yet present politicians hardly notice. But then again some who should know better, don't appear to support the arts unless it involves their arts. Or so it would seem.

So, I hope that wasn't too much of a "crack anxious" sounding post :)

Last edited:
MazDan wrote
Something about your inclinations, preserving positions and something about something to do with marijuana in the federal vote?

Sorry forgot to address this one.

Last Federal election there were 2 voting options.

1) Easy quick way, 1st.... 2nd .... etc.

2) Long way, containing several pages of people I'd never heard of and issues which could be voted on. One was the decriminalisation of marijuana. It didn't stick out at you, but it was there.

So I wonder if was pure coincidence that cannabis was decriminalised in most states within a year. As I said I could argue both ways as to whether it did or not. But isn't it good to know about such things in time to register if you feel strongly about the issue? After poll day, so many people said something like

"What! If I'd known there was a dope vote, I would have enrolled"

Well now there's no excuse is there :)

Please pull me up on anything too cryptic. I'm a much better puzzle maker than solver, so give me a hot stir if you're ever left feeling like you've just read the writings of a crazed whatever....

sydkiwi said:
heres a tip leave drugs like pot that have a distinctive smell at home or in the car. simple

Not everyone wants to smoke at home or in the car. :)

Thanks PD, it all makes sense now.

Yeah get out there kids and have your say. Dont ever think that your one vote wont count for much cos if everyone felt like that then nobody would vote.

Your one little vote can make a difference.

what i think is interesting is that the operation over the weekend has culminated in the realisation that dogs at dance events will be standard from now on (unless the law changes..........)

in sydney, we have known about dogs for a couple of years, and they have popped up at randon venues and on inner city streets and train stations, now and then. i've probably seen them about half a dozen times and every time, apart from last friday, they were on a shortish lead and not really being that intrusive or offensive - basically just walking along at their own pace with their policedog person.

in contrast, on friday, the dogs were on leads of at least 3 metres and were aggressively darting quickly from one person to the next.

i agree with groovstar. gone are the days when you could have your fun in the sun without your civil liberties being violated. gone are the days when you could carry your couple of pills for your own use without the stress of potentially going to jail.

the fact that dogs may turn up at a venue used to be in the back on my mind. now, in sydney, i expect it. preparing your pills is an absolute necessity. and i guess the nervous and apprehensive 15 mins before getting into a venue has become a standard part of a good day/night out (although, ironically, i find that the whole ordeal gets my adrenelin going just as good as a pill would!! on friday i probably dropped an hour after i would have ordinarily cos i was high from the excitement!! btw - i work in a profession where if i get a criminal record, i'm basically fuked).

travel safe!!

ps - my friends and i cabbed it in and prepared our gear properly. no dramas at all. interestingly, when i got through the ticket place one of the dogs lunged at me and (so a friend behind me said said) i quickly stepped in the opposite direction. it wasn't because i was concerned of the dog sniffing my drugs, it was because a large dog was going for me!! i would have argued that i have a dog phobia!!

Hahahah nice post^

Yeah, every major event I went to in Sydney last year had drug dogs. Even Sublime has drug dogs some weeks. I agree, its an exciting start to an event...you are so stoked to even make it into the venue that you're already pumped and happy :) You really have to think about it now-days.

My friend who got busted (above link) was on the train from newcastle. I often carry weed from Newcastle and get off at Central...during the rugby world cup there was a heavy presence and some dogs (maybe trained for explosives). Dogs are getting way too common! An underground drum and bass party I went to got raided by drug dogs in November last year. I really wish they needed probable cause before having the dog sniff you, but unfortunately dog signals are probable cause in itself. I agree, its an invasion of civil liberties.

a friend of mine's brother got caught by the dogs with weed (am not sure exactly how much, but am sure it was more than what's deemed to be personal use).

he was found guilty. he appealed with the help of either a community legal centre or some law firm supporting a pro bono scheme, (it's good to know that some organisations believe this to be an issue of public interest) and the matter got special leave to go to the High Court on the issue of 'probable cause.'

from what i hear, he was a bit of an arse and walked past the dog several times to 'test' it. not smart, but the basis for an interesting test case.

there's no court in Australia that can overrule the High Court and there are some hc judges who are known to be vehemently in favour of upholding civil liberties. having said that, i would not be too optimistic that the outcome will be favourable to those against the dogs. it is a very political topic!

it'll probably be ages before the hc decides on the issue. all we can do in the meantime is take the necessary precautions and encourage people to think about how they vote. (although voting won't affect the decision made by the hc, it will make the politicians be accountable for our views)

bear in mind that this is relevant to everyone (not just those in nsw)because any ruling made by the hc is very persuasive in other australian states and territories.

I really hope there isnt going to be a crack down in Perth.
I just want to be able to roll a fat one in peace during (a concert) !

[Edit: Reference to party/venue removed. BigTrancer]

Last edited by a moderator:
did anyone hear HACK on JJJ a short while ago? they had quite a few interviews on the situation.. quite interesting really. i'm going to hunt around for a transcript/recording.. if i can.

I see it as being absolutely crazy! Maybe even a waste of police resources? Hopefully it does not make its way to Perth but I am sure it will happen sooner or later.

that's why it 's important for ALL australians to think about their vote and make sure their vote counts.

if that means reading up on parties policies before you vote, so be it.

if that means spending 5 more minutes in the voting booth (even knowing your friends a sinking beers at the pub next door), so be it.

i'll be ringing my fat lardy State MP some time this week and I'll be questioning his thoughts on this issue. I urge others to do so. I deliberately didn't change my address when i moved last as i prefer voting in a marginal seat.

As for voting i love filling out every number on the senate form - not so much for who you first but what bastard you put last - it's damned pleasurable!! ;)

Last edited:
Hey

I have commented on this in previous threads and the issue really needs to be resolved. The NSW legislature has basically removed our common law right to privacy and quiet enjoyment of public space. It is almost a complete inversion of our right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty! I only do pills occasionally and really don't see the harm in them. I have read up everything I can find on them and know the risks when I put the substance into my body. I dare say I know way more about MDMA than do people who drink huge amounts of alcohol. So, if I know these facts and take on the risk willingly, why have the police hunt me down like a murderer? And now, even when I am just walking along I have to be harassed by dogs just so the government can appear to be winning the war on drugs. HA! www.drugwarfacts.org and have a look at the economic section - scary to see the figures.

I am interested to hear that a case is being put to the High Court. That I will watch with a keen eye. Happy Puppy, as it is now a matter of public record, would you mind finding out the name of the case and posting it here? The case name in the NSW Supreme Court or High Court would be fine.

The argument, I guess, would be that the NSW Government is acting outside its power with its drug laws. As HappyPuppy said, the issue will turn on the requirement of probable cause. In essence, the NSW laws remove this common law requirement of police interjection. Would be most interested to hear how this comes out. Lets hope one of the many excellent QCs from Sydney steps up to defend the lad.. God knows many of them love a good bickie and Red Bull.

On the economic front, good God! Was it worth it? 30,000-40,000 attendees and of these 400 people searched. I am guessing.. a few thousand were actually sniffed by the dogs. From all that effort of over 550 civil servants getting weekend pay, the largest haul was a guy with 46 pills. Well, that will really put a blow in the organized criminal's books for the week. There must be a better way and surely making things more illegal and involving more police is not it.

Well, enough of my rant but please do post that case name.

kks

rasberrywatergirl said:

I *think* that in order to do a strip search, of all clothes, they need to have you at a police station and surely they need a warrant?

I think probable cause does away with any need for a warrant, but always ask what they are looking for/why they are looking for it. If they can't give you straight answers, then call a lawyer and don't agree to the search. If you are being strip searched (this is for Vic, don't know about the rest), it has to be in private and done by an officer of the same sex as you. The really good thing is you can actually request the search to be done by a doctor, even specifically your GP. So if you get strip searched, have nothing on you and nothing better to do, tell them you want a doc to do it, no need making it easy.

Here's a thread I made a few years ago, has some links RE: your rights.

Yeah! I'm pretty sure they need a warrant..

I was arrested awhile back and they said they were organising a warranty to strip search me and search my apartment...

Shal :D