• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Naltrexone? What should I do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King J

Bluelighter
I have a prescription to Naltrexone. What should I do with it? Is it good for getting clean with? I heard it's better than Subutex/Suboxone and Methadone because it allows you to get clean with no mental or physical withdrawal or cravings and you're not substituting one high or substance with another. I also read that low doses of Naltrexone daily can help your body become more immune to bacteria, viruses, and even deadly diseases like HIV/AIDS and cancer.

Do you think Naltrexone is also a worthwhile drug if you wanted to get clean persay? I have someone that wants to get clean, I mean would it be worth their while to "somehow get it" ;) and if so will it work and help people get clean? How many would be necessary, 3? I have 14x 50mg. Can you break it in half or in quarters like how people do with Suboxone? And also, can you initially only take it for 3 days to get clean since it's 72 hours for your body to detox?

Help appreciated. :)

It has its pros and cons when comparing it to suboxone. Since I have heard that you do not get a buzz off of this, it would make sense that it would also have a lower potential for abuse. However, since it does not give you any kind of buzz, it may not satisfy any of you cravings for opiates like suboxone does.

The naltrexone is just blocking other opiates from working, and since it may not do much for cravings, it might be more tempting to stop taking it and go back to using other opiates.

no mental or physical withdrawal or cravings
That's a lie.

Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist, plain and simple. It blocks the effects of any drugs at the mu opioid receptor, rendering them useless. Including your body's endorphins. It will not make you feel better in any way and in fact will probably make you feel like shit. if you've got a habit and you take naltrexone... bam. withdrawals.

The best use for your prescription is to "enforce" sobriety on yourself, or save it for rescuing someone who has overdosed. But otherwise you're simply holding onto a bunch of "anti-opiates" that come nowhere close to methadone or suboxone.

You guys seem to be confusing this with Naloxone.

I am talking about naltrexone:

Wikipedia said:
Naltrexone is an opioid receptor antagonist used primarily in the management of alcohol dependence and opioid dependence. It is marketed in generic form as its hydrochloride salt, naltrexone hydrochloride, and marketed under the trade names Revia and Depade. In some countries including the United States, a once-monthly extended-release injectable formulation is marketed under the trade name Vivitrol. Also in the US, Methylnaltrexone Bromide, a closely related drug, is marketed as Relistor, for the treatment of opioid induced constipation.

Naltrexone should not be confused with naloxone (which is used in emergency cases of overdose rather than for longer-term dependence control) nor nalorphine. Both nalorphine and naloxone are full antagonists and will treat an opioid overdose, but naltrexone is longer-acting than naloxone (although neither is an irreversible antagonist like naloxazone), making naloxone a better emergency antidote.

Naltrexone helps patients overcome urges to abuse opiates by blocking the drugs’ euphoric effects. While some patients do well with the oral formulation, there is a drawback in that it must be taken daily, and a patient whose craving becomes overwhelming can obtain opiate euphoria simply by skipping a dose before resuming abuse.

The FDA approved Vivitrol, the long-acting version of naltrexone, on October 12, 2010 for the prevention of relapse to opioid dependence, following opioid detoxification. “This drug approval represents a significant advancement in addiction treatment,” said Janet Woodcock, M.D., director of the FDA’s Center Drug Evaluation and Research.[17]

Nora Volkow, M.D., Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), stated that: “As a depot formulation, dosed monthly, Vivitrol obviates the daily need for patients to motivate themselves to stick to a treatment regimen - a formidable task, especially in the face of multiple triggers of craving and relapse. This new option increases the pharmaceutical choices for treating opioid addiction, and may be seen as advantageous by those unwilling to consider agonist or partial agonist approaches to treatment. NIDA is continuing to support research on Vivitrol's effectiveness in this country, including a focus on criminal justice involved populations transitioning back into the community.”[18]

The phase 3 clinical study upon which the FDA granted approval for Vivitrol in treating opioid dependence had an enrollment of 250. Primary outcome measures were percent of weekly urine tests that were negative for opioids and the length of the study retention during the double-blind period. The study began in June 2008 and was completed in November 2009.

Alkermes presented positive results from the phase 3 clinical study of Vivitrol for the treatment of opioid dependence at the American Psychiatric Association 2010 Annual Meeting in May 2010. The study met its primary efficacy endpoint and data showed that patients treated once-monthly with Vivitrol demonstrated statistically significant higher rates of clean (opioid-free) urine screens, compared to patients treated with a placebo, as measured by the cumulative distribution of clean urine screens (p<0.0002).[19] The results of the study are expected to be published soon.

Another option for the treatment of opiate addiction is the naltrexone implant, which may be surgically inserted under the skin. The implant provides a sustained dose of naltrexone to the patient, thereby preventing the problems which may be associated with skipping doses. It must be replaced every several months. Naltrexone implants are made by at least three companies, though none have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration.[20]

I really want personal user experiences and/or feedback. User reviews @ Drugs.com for opiate dependance is fantastic.

You seem to be confused yourself King J. Naltrexone is a long acting full opiate antagonist, naloxone is a short acting full opiate antagonist. If you give it to somebody who is dependant on opiates, you will be subjecting them to torture, plain and simple. "No mental or physical withdrawal", you're very misinformed. It is used as a form of rapid detox, and the withdrawals are fucking horrendous.

The dosages you need are nothing like 150mg, that is fucking insane! I honestly think you need to research this drug a hell of a lot more!

Added: Do NOT give this to someone who is addicted to opiates, especially in the doses you mentioned. I honestly can't believe I just read this.

Because you were using heroin/full agonist opiates, you will go through withdrawal.

However... once the acute withdrawal (then PAWS if you get it) are behind you on naltrexone, I don't believe naltrexone by itself should have any withdrawal effects.

Taking an antagonist while dependent on full agonists, assuming the dosage and affinities are normal, it WILL cause you to go through precipitated withdrawal. Therefore, to use naltrexone, you would have to get clean on opiates for about 2 weeks (maybe a week and a half) so as to avoid precipitated withdrawal.

At such a point in time, no opiates will be in your body, and the naltrexone will basically act to block extra receptors that were grown during up-regulation of said receptors. This helps get it so that whatever receptors remain open, will be a more appropriate # of them for your endorphins to act on.

That is essentially why so few people use naltrexone. You have to go through most of acute withdrawal before it won't cause precipitated withdrawal. Most people going through heroin withdrawal don't want to have to wait that long to take something to feel better.

If you are dependent on full agonists, and you take an opiate antagonist, you will go through precipitated withdrawals. As mentioned above.

Because you were using heroin/full agonist opiates, you will go through withdrawal.

That is essentially why so few people use naltrexone. You have to go through most of acute withdrawal before it won't cause precipitated withdrawal. Most people going through heroin withdrawal don't want to have to wait that long to take something to feel better.
^This.
Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist, plain and simple. It blocks the effects of any drugs at the mu opioid receptor, rendering them useless. Including your body's endorphins. It will not make you feel better in any way and in fact will probably make you feel like shit. if you've got a habit and you take naltrexone... bam. withdrawals.

The best use for your prescription is to "enforce" sobriety on yourself, or save it for rescuing someone who has overdosed. But otherwise you're simply holding onto a bunch of "anti-opiates" that come nowhere close to methadone or suboxone.
^and this, also.

That's a lie.

Or alternatively, a huge misunderstanding. They 'heard' 'it allows you to get clean with no mental or physical withdrawal or cravings', right? Not necessarily that they were 'told'. Noone with any sense in their head would have told 'em that, would they? Not someone I'd wanna be taking advice off of, eh? ;)

King J, first off, I am not confused as to the difference between Naloxone, and Naltrexone. Nor was anyone else on this thread far as I can see? :? Glad we cleared that up.

Naltrexone can be massively useful for someone who's got themselves clean and is determined not to relapse. It does nothing whatsoever for cravings. All it does is prevent opiates working should you give in, making that whole scoring / preparing / using cycle a complete waste of your time and energy.

It's effects are cumulative, in that it has a relatively long half-life as an opiate blocker. You take it for a few days, then if you wake up craving your tits off and give in you'll get no opiate reward. The idea then is you take it when you're feeling strong, in the hope it protects you when you're feeling weak. The Naltrexone will protect you for at least a couple of days after you've stop using it, so you will have to conciously plan a relapse.

It is sometimes used in detox centres to force a managed withdrawal in those under additional treatments that typically render them only semi-conscious and moderate withdrawal symptoms. Google suggests there are vague inklings in a very small number of cases that that kind of ultra-rapid, forced detox can prove fatal.

Excepting the above paragragh, you must ON NO ACCOUNT use it until you have fully completed an opiate detox. Do not ever think forcing anyone with a proper habit into detox with it so they can't turn back will ever be a good idea, ok? It will be fucking horrendous beyond words.

Last edited:
Naloxone and naltrexone are both strong opioid antagonists, the major difference is in the duration and onset speeds. Naloxone is a rapid-onset drug that wears off quickly, naltrexone takes longer to onset but lasts much longer. Hence why naloxone is used for "emergencies" and naltrexone is for "maintenance". Both are antagonists that will make you feel shitty though.

yeah I was told that this shit actually blocks your own endorphins. FUCK that! When they say it helps people with cravings, they just mean that people don't bother using because its impossible to get high, but they don't mention that they're probably miserable. I've heard of so many people that would have naltrexone implants and then rip them out. IMO, this is basically a worst case scenario drug, for instance if you just absolutely don't trust yourself and you're going to lose your job/house/partner etc, then maybe take this, otherwise don't.

Guys,

I appreciate the feedback but I am not very pleased with the feedback thus far. I have received no actual user experience and no evidence, articles, quotes, or sources other than the article I posted from Wikipedia.

I am more interested in this medication as it was prescribed FOR withdrawal, NOT post withdrawal. Can anyone tell me out of experience how it is? I thought this medication, and after researching and reading about Naltrexone, that due to the medication's long duration of effect, that it would be absolutely fantastic. I'm saying this in the sense that this medication seems like a medication that depletes physical withdrawal and activates the mechanisms in the brain that cause urges and cravings to get high.

This medication is also used for alcoholics with a tremendous success rate. Much like opiate users, alcoholics too have a physical and mental dependency as well as the urge to get intoxicated.

Does anyone have any solid sources other than biased opinion on this medicine's success especially for opiate withdrawal? Also linked to above, it has a high user rating and reviews for opiate withdrawal on Drugs.com.

I understand that this medication, much like Naloxone but NOT nearly effective nor successful, can be used for overdoses. However, this medication would not save a life. It would block the effect of an overdose but it's not Naloxone or any medication that actually reverses/blocks the overdose "entirely."

After researching this medication, I feel that this is a gold mine unless anyone can quote or link me to sources that state otherwise. I mean Suboxone etc and Methadone, yes, can help you detox, but you're still getting high and/or chasing a high. In most cases, such medications are a lifetime experience or very long 6+ month program. In comparison with Naltrexone, it seems that a opiate user can detox and be withdrawal free after 3-5 doses.

I only have 50mg pills as well, not 150mg.. And it's only 14 of them for a 2 week detox regime.

I'd really like some user experiences of the medication as well as sources linked to or quote. Please respect what I am requesting in this thread without any biased opinions or flaming. And YES, I do understand that some clinics use this medication - though mostly Naloxone - for rapid detox. The desire for sobrietary does play a serious factor and I do understand that. However just note such rapid detox clinics try to use this medication via injection for 1-3 days only or even one does. I want factual actual sources so that I can study whether or not this medication actually can be effective and its superiority over other detox regimes. I am not trying to knock off any other detox medication like Suboxone by no other mean(s) - it's just that the regimes are typically not dosed or administered correctly, ie tapering down etc.

Hoping to hear some information rather than statements or opinions, unless they are factual, quoted, or clinically tested.

King J, what would you rather have: factual, objective, evidence based answers, or purely anecdotal subjective experiences? Googling for 'Naltrexone success studies' will give you more proper medical studies and stats than you could usefully digest as to its effectiveness in helping motivated users stay off H, and booze, some claiming success rates with opiates as high as 60% or so of those who stayed on for the duration of the study. For those who didn't stay on it, which I suspect would be the majority in any sample, some will have stayed off opiates anyways regardless, some will have relapsed, so figures are open to wide interpretation.

I am more interested in this medication as it was prescribed FOR withdrawal, NOT post withdrawal. Can anyone tell me out of experience how it is?

Prescribed by who, for who? Yourself, or another user in your acquaintance? Either way you have still not grasped that no, it will not have been prescribed by a doctor intending that someone still physically dependent on opiates take it as a means to force withdrawal and come off. No competent Dr would prescribe it on that basis. It is always, only, ever prescribed as a prophyalctic for use during the post-acute withdrawal phase when the likelihood of relapse is at its highest, except where used with in-patients in a clinical setting under constant medical supervision, as per my previous. So, hardly noone is gonna be able to answer your question as to how was it for withdrawal because noone in their right mind would use it that way. :bangshead:

From http://www.heroin-detox.org/heroin-detox-naltrexone.htm said:
No one with a physical dependency to opiates can use naltrexone until they are completely free from opiates and opiate withdrawal symptoms. Ridding the body of opiates usually takes seven to 10 days after the last consumption, but depending on the drug the waiting time can be longer.

Naltrexone has a very strong affinity for the opiate receptors, and can easily push out any opiates that are currently occupying and activating these receptors. If an opiate-dependent person takes naltrexone, all opiate receptors become inactivated, and the net effect is an immediate crash into withdrawal.

If you require more evidence Googling 'Naltrexone for fast opiate detox' will back up every word I've said here, and you might even stumble across the odd horror story of users like you who thought it would be a good idea and then went through a coupla days of hell before they'd eliminated enough of the drug to be able to bring themselves out of withdrawal with a fix. Some of them have even posted here before on this very subject if you need a wider range of opinion.

Why are you so adamant it's the way forward. There's no easy fix for a habit if you're thinking once you take the first pill everything's out of your hands and there's no going back? There are hard ways, and less hard ways, and moderately ok ways to detox, but there are no easy ones, and Naltrexone sure as hell ain't it.

Last edited:
I have taken naltrexone myself in order to do an at home rapid detox. It was hell, it did nothing for cravings and here I am, almost a year later with an even bigger addiction. This is not biased opinion, it is fact that naltrexone will put you into instant, hellish precipitated withdrawals.

This is still an ongoing problem within this thread. You all are referring to a RAPID DETOX. The doctor did not prescribe this medication for rapid detox but instead for withdrawal and detox. Rapid detox is a myth, unless IMHO you were able to filter out all of your blood as well as your digestion system (though mental cravings may still be present).

I am trying to compare this medicine or even try to figure out if this is better than the mainstream Suboxone and Methadone. Though mental cravings may always be present no matter what circumstance due to anxiety and urges, I want real live clinical trials and tests; not of rapid detoxes.

To opi8: How long did you take the Naltrexone for, what dose, and what time per day and how many doses per day? Why did it put you into a withdrawal state? My questions are still not answered nor any facts actually conclusive. :(

This is still an ongoing problem within this thread. You all are referring to a RAPID DETOX.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

No! FFS, no! You think that's what we're referring to because you're not listening to what's being said, selecting only that which supports or does not directly contradict your erroneously held beliefs! Noone AFAICS has even hinted at the type of rapid detox you mean, the type advertised by clinics who promise you they'll have flushed all the opiates out of you within a matter of hours of going in leaving you feeling so well you'll be skipping and singing about the place that very same evening, the very same type of rapid detox in fact that I have gone to some lengths to distinguish from the altogether different sort of rapid onset full withdrawal we're actually discussing it being the one you're asking about and thinking of doing.

As for the clinical trials the search terms I gave you earlier are not specific to in-patient rapid detox, and bring up the results of all kinds of different trials with the implant, with oral maintenance, with different combinations of drugs, with different prescribing regimes, yadda yadd ya. All you have to do is read the ones that look relevant, how hard can it be? Tell you what, I'll even do the first bit of donkey work for you. If you should manage to find even one study discussing or advocating use of naltrexone to force withdrawal in unsupervised, physically-dependent out-patients I'd be interested to see it.

Last edited:
I've been very interested in LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) for a while. This is my understandin, ( and I think what the OP is looking for):

once off opiates/opiods, a dose of 2-5mg Naltrexone is given nightly, to partially block the bodys endorphine production. In the morning, you're body will have responded to the partial blockade by producing (not technical here, Obv) more endorphines, leading to a sense of well being akin to excercising, meditaing, etc..

I was stoked on this idea for a while, but, as I round the corner into 45 days off Bupe, I'm realizing that, we all have the tools we need to stay healthy. Eating well, plenty of excercise, and meditation. OP, let me know if you try the LDN, am curious to know if it's any more effective then a healthy lifestyle.

Sorry to veer off-topic a bit...

I took half of a 50mg tablet, so 25mg, once. I was already in withdrawal when I took it, I waited about 24-36 hours from my last dose of opiates from memory. It kicked in after about 10 to 15 minutes and it was the worst 8-14 hours of my life. Almost immediately after it kicked in I was violently vomitting while shitting jets of water out my ass. When I wasn't on the toilet, I was in absolute agony on my bed, unable to stop myself from screaming all night. This was followed by at least 24 hours of intense stomach cramps that came on in waves of absoulte agony, diarrhea and all the other lovely opiate withdrawal symptoms. It took several days to feel somewhat normal. I relapsed shortly after, and here we are.

I know people who have taken naltrexone in order to get off opiates under medical supervision, and the naltrexone is introduced slowly, diluted in water until the agony is completely unbearable. They are hooked up to machines that monitor their blood pressure, heart rate etc. and it is not something I, or any doctor in their right mind, would advise someone to try themselves, at home.

Naltrexone can be used once you are off opiates, as has been said above, as it prevents you from being able to get high from any opiates as it's high affinity for your opiate receptors means you won't feel anything that you take.

I know people who are prescribed 50mg naltrexone daily to prevent relapse. This is not the same as using it while you are currently physically dependant.

I was prescribed Naltrexone a while back to help with heroin addiction. It was the most miserable I think I've ever felt. And what some doctors will fail to tell you is that Naltrexone isn't just an opioid receptor antagonist, but it can also create anxiety and depression because of its ability to disrupt your neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine. It works for some people and it's kind of like cutting your dick off if your a sex offender, but the problem I've always saw was the simple fact that addicts will still want to get high even when they know they can't. So basically the feeling of need is still there. I think it's great for rapid detoxification, but that's it.

wowo this thread is hilarious...

Having Naltrexone is well... worse than not having naltrexone lol...

The most evil useless drug ever...

THe fact that is can disrupt natural endorphin production should be enough to not use it...

What the OP doesn't understand about opiate addiction is anyone can stop or quit opiates...

THe difficulty is staying stopped..

ALSO OP i think your really confused on what exactly Naltrexone is and what it does... Rapid detox aint no myth; it is real.. Scientific explanation opiate receptors are being ripped and causing extremely fast de/regulation of receptors... 1 week withdrawal would occur in 24 hours...

... If you are addicted to opiates taking naltrexone will cause rapid detox to occur..

Let us know how naltrexone works for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.