Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

morning glory seeds

DeSpise

Bluelighter
ok, so after giving up my long, ess search for morning glory seeds i stumbled across the sacred plant in a garden store

WTF!!! THATS morning glory??? ARRGGHH i have about an acre of it in my garden LOL

so how do i go about getting the seeds?? searched flowers at various stages in their lifecycle but nothing 'seed like' was to be found...

considering the way it roots the vines into the ground at regular intervals... are the seeds those small lumps around the bases of the leaves??? or do i have to wait until a certain time of year or something??

any help greatly appreciated!! :)

trying to stop smoking the bathtub meth thats costing me an arm and a leg, as well as my health... so im trying to get started on some natural plant stuff. im not expecting some insane drug experience, just something to fill the hours and make stuff a bit more interesting...

after i figure out this moring glory its going to be a pchadelic trail of destruction as i eat cactus and mushroom alike!!! then bring on the wattle lol

hmmm i wonder if the species of morning glory i got is one of the usefull ones... it grows everywhere and is regarded as a pest so i dont like my chances.... if i find anyting good like pics ill post them here

hrrrm alright seems like i have a useless strin of MG... it has purple flowers, whilw the good ones have blue or white flowers... so the search continues...

I grew heavenly blue one year many years ago at my mums place. They climbed a trellis, flowered beautifully and aged gracefully......then died. No seeds, not one. Since then I've seen it growing - on parts of the local coast road MG grows wild on the roadside - and I've looked, but have never seen seeds. I grew the right variety, it was a Yates seed brand, so I knew it was Ipomoea Violacea.

the search continues....

went searching though nurseries today...

it seems that 'morning glory' is also misused for some sort of other plant called 'moonflower' or something....

they then told me the type of morning glory i was after (i asked specifically for a blue flowered variety) was considered a weed in WA and therefore illegal to sell them. thought that was odd... went to another nursery and they said they didnt have any for sale, but they had some growing wild out the back and i was welcome to rip it out and take it! :)

this must be one hardy plant!! so i got a nice fat root stock with a fat stem and some green vines growing out. however sadly i dont think its the right type either... erowid names 4 varieties, and it doesnt seem to match any of them :(

flowers are supposed to be a nice sky blue, this ones bluey-purple. closer to blue, but no cigar yet ;)

however, on a side note my garden is looking great lol :D

i also am notticing alot of leaf variation between pictures of the supposedly pschoactive morning glories and the ones im coming across. the purple type has five fingered leaves not unlike a cannabis plant. the blue-purple one has a 3 pointed leaf like ivy. but the 'heavenly blue' 'flying saucers' 'blue star' and 'pearly gates' varieties that have a high LSA content have a heart shaped leaf with a single point.

anyone know about the leaglity of buying seeds online? seems like it should be alright, but if they'd get through quarantine thats another story... it IS considered a weed and all...

perfectly legal to buy the seeds online. Thats how i got mine. The MG experience is great, but there is only ONE major disadvantage to it.... nausea!

I say you keep that shopping bag handy :)

may i ask which stain you obtained? im thinking of gettig heavenly blue, pearly gates and flying saucers all in one big order (found a place that has all 3)

no reason other than making my garden look nice :)

and i figure that planting heaps of MG might just put me in good stead with 'the plant'

actually, my ex got it. i think it was the heavenly blue variety. Are you a first timer or experienced? if you're a first timer, try out 100-150 seeds first. i've only tried it twice, one with 100-150 seeds, the other 250 seeds i think. 100-150 is great, since the nausea is relatively OK and bearable. but 250 i puked my guts off, and so did my ex. but after the puke, everything was all good and dandy :)

NOTE: Pregnant Women must NEVER use any morning glory, Hawaiian Woodrose or ergot sourced products or preparations. Besides some compounds being very toxic to the liver and kidneys, many of these substances can also cause uteral contractions. There are other contraindications you should be aware of if you're new to the idea of eating these seeds or preparing an extract.

Stomach discomfort with morning glory is common. Many years ago, it was common for the seeds to be coated with strychnine to prevent rats from eating them. A good scrubbing with a brush was supposed to fix that, but one night in a fit of wild abandon, we hastily prepared 14 pkts of seeds between 2 of us by quickly scrubbing them in water. It didn't work and we both got mild (which is still VERY painful) strychnine poisoning. However, a search in attempt to explain the stomach upsets experienced with untainted seeds, reveals that strychnine and closely related chemicals are actually naturally present in the seeds themselves (although strychnine itself is listed only under "Sliver Morning Glory" or Woodrose).

Before that time, at ~ age 17, I once extracted the resins and alkaloids for the purpose of making a (then) legal drug for self administration. To be the only drug making I was ever was involved in, it was a simple exercise, although for some reason I could never remember the solvent I used for extracting other nasties (responsible for the tummy pain).

After reading the FAQ from Erowid I decided it must have simply been water. It would explain a lot as I didn't have a great variety of solvents to choose from. I did keep good notes from that period (like any aspiring scientist) but I lost the lot (and many books) in a flood in 83 - a year after retrieving them from my mums garage :(

The procedure was to soak the seeds in Pet ether for a couple of hours, drain and keep the solvent, dry off and keep the goo. The seeds are dried and further soaked in Methanol for a week, shaking the jar each day. This is evaporated and the 2 extracts combined. The added extracts are then soaked in water overnight. The result was an ~ 1cm cube of gummy resin. It worked a treat and no stomach was noticed, although, a while later I was to try acid and found the trip to be quite different. After the seeds fiasco I could never be bothered again, and my stomach goes funny at the mere thought ;)

There are several other alkaloids of interest in Morning Glory, explaining perhaps why the trip is considered so unique, although as Shulgin mentions, some are not thought to be contributing to the effects.

Although there are many other chemical treasures in the ergot fungal world, I would like to wrap this commentary up with a return to the topic of morning glory seeds. Four additional alkaloids of the ergot world must be acknowledged as being potentially participating factors in the MGS story. With each of these, the primary ergoline ring system is largely intact but the amide function is completely gone. The carboxyl group has been reduced to the alcohol to give elymoclavine. There is the related molecule present which is the isomer with the double bond moved to be conjugated with the aromatic ring; it is called lysergol. There is the same molecule but with a hydroxy group attached to the 8-position carbon atom (an ethyleneglycol!) ; it is called penniclavine. And lastly, that D-ring can actually be opened between the 5 and 6 positions, to give us a secondary amine tryptamine derivative, chanoclavine. To be completely anally retentive in this Ipomoea inventory, mention must be made of five alkaloids that are present in truly trace amounts, all of which have no oxygen atoms present whatsoever on that substitution on the ergoline 8-position. These are the 8-methyl isomers agroclavine, setoclavine, festuclavine and cycloclavine, and the methylene analogue lysergene. These structures in effect define absolute obscurity, and most probably do not contribute to the morning glory intoxication state. But the others, some present is sizable amounts, may someday help explain why the pharmacology of these seeds is so different than that of the major isolates, the ergines.

From
Tihkal 26 - Erowid

Here's a rather deep (chemistry) but excellent paper on the
Progress and Prospects of Ergot Alkaloid Research

Other refs:

Dr Dukes Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Database:

Chemicals in: Ipomoea violacea L. (Convolvulaceae) -- Ololiuqui, Tlitlitzen

Chemicals in: Argyreia nervosa (BURM.) BOJER (Convolvulaceae) -- Silver Morning Glory, Wood Rose

just an update, i aqquired a buch of MG seeds online and am germinating about 56 of em. they are a purple/blue variety from the west indies and said to have a high alkaloid content, they are not any of the four (american??) varieties mentioned on erowid.

alot of them have popped up a stem with a single heart shaped cotyledon on it. cant wait to see how these babies grow :)

Last edited:
About where you find the seeds for Morning Glory, Erowid says that MG produces an oviod shaped fruit about a 1/2 inch long. The seeds are inside. ;)

So guess you now need to work out when MG fruits, and if anything *special* has to happen for it to bear fruit.

Light 50 - 100 seeds 1.5 - 3 g
Common 100 - 250 seeds 3 - 6 g
Strong 250 - 400 seeds 6 - 10 g
Heavy 400 + seeds 10 + g
(taken from Erowid.org)

Jeeze... taking that many seeds cannot be good haha, there must be some nausea, no?

ashaman said:
perfectly legal to buy the seeds online. Thats how i got mine. The MG experience is great, but there is only ONE major disadvantage to it.... nausea!

I say you keep that shopping bag handy :)

But becareful if it's an international site, someone i know had his package of MGS seized by customs recently

there are aussie ones too. found a very reputable one, though the prices are alot higher than can be found overseas, no doubt because its a restricted plant :(

but yeah got seed with no problems, they seem about 70% viable so far, but has only been 3 days so probably higher.

i have read to start them indoors before the end of winter, i guess they grow, bloom and bear fruit in a similar cycle to mary jane?

hopefully will get some seeds back ill keep yas posted as to how they grow.
also plan to compile a picure guide to help people weed out the useless varieties and find the good uns :)

OK, yes, that green vine with purple flowers that grow ALL OVER MELBOURNE, and quite possibly other areas, i dont know, ARE MORNING GLORY. However, the part of the plant you seek is the seeds and unfortunately for the vine to polenate and seed a certain MOTH is needed, Australia is not a home to this moth so Im afraid those vines every where are never going to seed and hence, never going to help you out.

Other parts of the plant to contain alkaloids, but low concentrations and eating this plant material will just make you sick, not trip.

While i cannot post sources, i can assure you that you can LEGALLY aquire MG seeds in Australia. However, people are much more akin to Hawain Baby Woodrose Seeds. These seeds are bigger and have a far higher alkaloid content, the trip is essentially the same. While you need to take 500+ MG seeds for a decent trip, you only need to eat from 5-15 HBWR seeds. Do some research and you should be able to track down a supplier without to much worry. Hint; It aint nurserys that your after.

I remember readin in the Jolly rodger a while back that you soak the crushed seads in a good wood alcohol(for 48 hours I think) and then strain the seed as much as possible then allow the fluid to evaporate in a place away from direct sunlight and heat to leave a gell that is concentrated LSA..

i dont need luck, but thanks :) ;)

ive got 150 odd 'west indies' MG seeds tucked away for safe keeping and 100 woodrose seeds on their way here in the post somewhere. as well as some 'flying saucers' seeds (gonna have a morning glory garden :D ) just ordered the heavenly blue, pearly gates, as well as 'ipomoea nil', ''ipomoea mulleri' and 'rivea corymbosa'

that should give me a wide range of psychoactive flowering vines to choose from ... i figure i may as well go all out since growing seedlings is very therapeudic and my gardens gonna look spun out with all these creeping flowering vines allover it...

now have 38/53 morning glories germinated.

chucky you are probably thinking of 'ipomoea indica' or something, its not the violacea species. check the leaf shape and get back to me on it ok? there is a species of MG that doesnt make seeds here but utilises very good vegetative reproduction, im pretty sure its indica and isnt psychoactive anyway.

ill wait and see if any seeds come about, i have heard that you can reproduce MG definately in queensland i guess time will tell on this one ... im confident with the sheer number of species and plants ill find something that works, and report my findings of course. perhaps ill plant alot in a public park and say where so i can laugh at the perth BL'ers gathering seed like underpants gnomes :)

Last edited: