• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Modafinil - Thoughts?

pharma-sutra

Bluelighter
Hello BP community,

I need some constructive opinion on this compound. Currently on a 30-day Modafinil trial period for chronic fatigue (and more or less for ADD) as I had requested from my Dr. noting that I wish to steer clear from amphetamines after being on Dexedrine and Vyvanse for 5+ years. For me, amphetamines has reached a point of diminished returns, tolerance is high and peripheral effects exacerbated. Specifically GU and GI complications and nasty vasoconstriction in extremities due to sympathetic stimulation.

Today is day 4 on Modafinil 100mg and I have no complaints except this consistent, persistent nagging headache! Not dissimilar to what one would describe as Racetam-headaches that ensues without choline supplementation. Initially on day 1-3 I had observed mild skin reaction that seems to be a rosacea break-out or my seborrheic dermatitis acting out ( My skin flares up easily from most stimulants due to epidermic pre-conditions and allergies, except for the odd ball of caffeine. With MPH/EPH producing the worst breakouts ever). I had also experienced diarrhea alongside the breakouts. However, on day 4 all of these symptoms have drastically subsided, EXCEPT the headaches.

These headaches only occur after peak plasma (t+4 hrs) and gradually worsens. I've read that it will only get worse and grow into migraines? Would switching to Armodfinil be of any compensation in this regard?
I also take Pregabalin for GAD and social anxiety, however I'm abstaining to see the full unadulterated effects of Modafinil. I know ofcourse the PGN will counteract the negatives of MOD and vice versa, but I hope I can use medications that aren't going to be co-dependent of one another.

Last edited:
it's a rather "common" side-effect with a lot of stims... maybe your dose is a bit too high (maybe you are "intolerant" physically to this particular stim), also drinking lot's of water helps me with headaches i get relatively often from my meds, and obviously aspirin and paracetamol will help, but you can't overdo them....

oàtherwise dunno really, maybe switch to ritalin, which is probably not what you want to do if you were deep into amps for a long time, but i would still consider Ritalin as less strong than d-amp, but stronger than modafinil...

Try reducing the amount you're taking. I took 50mg the first time I got Modafinil as I heard about issues getting to sleep. 50mg did exactly what I needed as far as getting me more focused on the tasks at hand. I didn't feel any side effects that I recall and got to sleep at a decent hour. I still took my xanax so that helped me sleep I should note. The next day I thought I'd take 100mg. I had the same reaction except I did feel a little on edge. I also got a headache later in the day. So now I make my Modafinil last longer since I cut all my tabs in half.

I think it was just my body getting used to the substance. It has subsided to very subtle headaches and only towards the end when it wears off (I suppose it does have a "come-down"). Other than that it's quite good. I don't get any disruptions with my sleep so need to reach for any benzos or anything of that sort.

@phat, Modafinil is not your classical stim. You should look into it. Therefore I'm not expecting anything remotely close to an amphetamine or methylphenidate experience. I will never, ever switch to Ritalin. It can only utilized for specific occasions when you need to rush deadlines in a very short period of time or writing exams. Very anti-social, anxiogenic, and leaves you with a huge migraine and mood swings when you crash. The only good experience I had were sustain-release preparations by Sandoz. Concerta is even worse than Ritalin in the regards of side effects.

I always wondered about this stuff, had a chance to try it one day, but passed because I didn't think it was a stimulant of any sort...But, does anyone know anything of it's cousin Adrinifil(probly not spelled right). Was looking for something to give me energy on the days I need it, but something thats not recretional really, so I don't do it all in a week...

I have eczema and get the breakouts from stimulants for awhile if/when I switch generics. I take Dexedrine for hyperactivity and I seem to deal okay with it. I have no issues with tolerance that doesn't later go the other way for reasons I am unaware of but I use it to be more down to earth and less wound and I have spent most of my life and I didn't like the Modafinil when they tried it because like the rest, including Desoxyn or Vyvanse (oddly, it feels nothing like Dexedrine does), they did little to nothing to help with that. There is a honeymoon period with them all where I am super patient, quiet, über polite and hardly talk a lot but then I get to be a little more normal and somewhat better off. Modafinil scared me because it made my urine smell funny and I was just freaked out.

Dexedrine itself has variance in forms and even generics of them and there are some of those that work well, others that work horrible but later on for whatever reason it differs. Are you drinking water and eating right because I get rotten headaches with Dexedrine if I don't force feed and drink to nourish my body.

I always wondered about this stuff, had a chance to try it one day, but passed because I didn't think it was a stimulant of any sort...But, does anyone know anything of it's cousin Adrinifil(probly not spelled right). Was looking for something to give me energy on the days I need it, but something thats not recretional really, so I don't do it all in a week...

from what I gathered, most people seem to think Adrafinil is a waste of time..but if your short on cash then you might have to resort to it. It is pro-drug of modafinil, however it is much much weaker. Anything other than narcolepsy the insurance companies will not cover for your Modafinil. What I'm looking into now is Armodafinil, its supposedly stronger and lasts longer in duration than Modafinil. Don't expect any recreational effects, unless you're one of those odd ones that think caffeine is recreational..

Sry to bump. Was curious if substance would be safe and produce any positive effects when taken in concomitant with d-amphetamine? (half the doses of both substances; ie: 50mg mod + 10mg dexedrine IR)

@pharma-sutra - not sure about those combos since I've not taken d-amphetamine. Recently started Modafinil. Started low and increased to 200mg a day which seems to be the most effective for me. Have you thought about increasing Modafinil instead of combining w/d-amphetamine?

I live in the US and take a generic Modafinil w/script from my pain management Dr. I did however try Modalert (India) and the difference was astounding. To me the Modalert had horrible side effects - I felt totally wired. It was a dirty drug. Had I only tried Modalert I might never have considered generic Modafinil. Ideally, I'd like Provigil (brand) but the ridiculous cost for off-brand use is cost prohibitive. I suffer from chronic migraines, fatigue and depression. And I take oxycodone for the pain which makes me exhausted. Prior to Modafinil I could barely get anything productive accomplished. At least now I have hope which helps the depression and ultimately the pain.

Like you, it does give me intermittent headaches. If having a headache (not a migraine) is what I must endure in order to have some energy then so be it. Hopefully you can find relief without having to incorporate the d-amp. Maybe give the increased Modafinil a try.

I was prescribed Modafinil once. I honestly didn't see much recreational potential in it at all, but if you are the type that sees recreational potential in something as worthless as Wellbutrin (not saying you do or anything by the way), then Modafinil may be the prescription drug for you. Otherwise, another pharmacological dud far inferior to amphetamine.

I find it useful for insomnia. Does anyone know how effective it would be in counteracting benzo sedition?

I find it useful for insomnia. Does anyone know how effective it would be in counteracting benzo sedition?

I took modafinil once and absolutely hated it; nervousness, chest-tension, palpitations, sweats etc etc.
10mg diazepam certainly countered the stimulation - assume it would work the other way round?

I am inundated with modafinil commercials. ... however in my doctors office is covered with Vyvanse propaganda and of course that's what I'm on. I enjoy it But feel that while it does help my ADHD there might be more to it I wish that the doctors would supply. More alternatives. I have to imagine for now . Keep posting.

@pharma-sutra - not sure about those combos since I've not taken d-amphetamine. Recently started Modafinil. Started low and increased to 200mg a day which seems to be the most effective for me. Have you thought about increasing Modafinil instead of combining w/d-amphetamine?
Yes I've tried, increase in dosage will render the headaches unbearable. Nothing more than 50mg is my sweet spot.

So just to update. I tried out the combo. It wasn't half bad, but sleep was no longer in the picture for the next three days. Don't get me wrong, I did sleep. in a total of 3 hours. By the end of it, there was a discernible mental fog, but I was still functioning at a mental capacity that was far beyond my normal self. Was able to deliver in a meeting and had great results. Ended the work-intensive bender that was followed by a 3-hour meeting with a 8 hour sleep. Woke up like a new-born baby. Duly noted that I upped the ante on my piracetam/nootropic regime during this period.

I was prescribed Modafinil once. I honestly didn't see much recreational potential in it at all, but if you are the type that sees recreational potential in something as worthless as Wellbutrin (not saying you do or anything by the way), then Modafinil may be the prescription drug for you. Otherwise, another pharmacological dud far inferior to amphetamine.

I agree. hence my disclaimer earlier in the thread. Mod is a great cognitive enhancer and (for some people) it could be some what euphoric (subjective).
the histaminergic properties is whats troubling to me.
I wouldn't even put modafinil in the same playing field to amphetamines. its like apples to oranges.

let me break it down for you. amps will only hinder a high-performing individual in the long run.