• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Mercury in MDMA

Jaredborgetti

Bluelighter
Recently I read on the "What is wrong with todays ecstacy" thread about a guy who supposedly tested a sample of MDMA and found methylmercury in it and said that ingesting it would cause severe health consequences however this study

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11419-006-0017-z

Seems to point to the fact that the amount of mercury in street MDMA is laughable not even a small part of what a can of tuna has, so I want to know if it is true what that guy said and if MDMA is contaminated with hazardous doses of mercury at least some times.

I've been interested in this topic too at some point, remember reading that there's a way to make mdma where a Mercury waste is very likely, but no one is using the technique because it's harder and more expensive, in other words not reasonable.

However, MDMA can give Mercury poisoning alike symptoms.

But even if that was the case, wouldnt the amount of mercury be laughable in a reasonable dose of MDMA? You would have to consume grams upon grams of MDMA tainted with mercury before mercury poisoning happens, at which point you would die from MDMA toxicity much sooner.

And just to clarify, do you mean that a single responsible dose of MDMA can cause hronic mercury poisoning like symptoms or that acute intoxication can resemble some symptoms?

I'm not a chemist and don't know how to synthesize it. :/ However I believe if it was a thing, would be way more recognized issue and the media will blow it out of the proportion too.

I wouldn't worry, yet you can research further. However, not having a clue how complicated the topic is.

Idk where you're at but America specifically the SE has completely shit quality cheap pills, not really even worth buying imo. And Molly is either stepped on or obscure RCs off darkweb.

The long term comedown that many describe mirrors mercury poisoning in regards to symptoms. Considering the huge variety of synthesis methods being used and the quality of labs, chemists etc. I don't think it is unreasonable to think that at least SOME MDMA contains mercury. Perhaps, for most people, the amount is manageable. However, adding complexity to the issue is that some people have methylation mutations in their genetics that may make them less capable of properly eliminating mercury from the body.

So, I do think it is possible that some vulnerable individuals are more susceptible to damage from minute amounts of mercury. Maybe this is where the long term comedown issues are coming from.

But according to that study, the amount in an MDMA tablet is not even 1% of that found in a can of tuna, and this is considering MDMA tablets that actually had mercury in them, so Im wanting to know if this is true because it scared the fuck out of me and if true its pretty severe since the guy that posted that said it would cause severe health issues.

The question of how much mercury is "dangerous" is certainly a hot topic, as it is used in dental materials, vaccines, etc. I guess it depends on your point of view. I personally do not want to take any amount of mercury (or any metal for that matter) into my body if it can be avoided. But, I also know I have a mutation and am not able to properly handle it.

Which study are you referring to? (Nevermind, I see the link in post 1).

Last edited:
The problem with mercury is that once it enters the body it never leaves, so it will accumulate in you for all your life.
There are therapies though.

What do you mean by that Phobos??? Then why do people recover after mercury toxicity from for example eating only fish for several months (like several case reports of fishermen getting mercury toxicity from eating fish for several months all day and recover just fine after switching diets) if that was true anybody who eats fish in any kind of regular basis even once or twice a week would accumulate dangerous levels of mercury in their bloodstream which isnt the case, also I believe that it has been proven that the body adjusts to eliminating more mercury in chronic exposure, so even people who eat fish daily in reasonable quantities dont build up mercury to cause symptoms due to the kidneys increasing the elimination rate of mercury.. there are plenty of people who eat fish daily with no problems with mercury toxicity and just eliminate.

My question was more pointing to the fact that this person seemed to imply the quantity of mercury in a sample of MDMA which he bought from Amsterdam had a high enough dose of Mercury to even be dangerous just by itself, and my question is if this is true and if it is does this happen with any sort of regularity or is it extremely rare? Because as I said the article I just linked which analyzed the quantity of mercury and arsenic in MDMA tablets in europe in 2006 seems to imply that you would need to consume grams upon grams of MDMA tablets before mercury toxicity could happen, basically "MDMA tablets were found to contain .050 to 1.230 micrograms of mercury PER GRAM of MDMA tablets. The US EPA finds up to 145 micrograms of mercury in a 6 ounce can of tuna."
A can of tuna = 118 grams of MDMA tablets.

According to the EPA:
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends consuming a daily maximum of 0.1 micrograms of mercury for each kilogram of your body weight. That would limit a 176-pound adult (the national average) to 8 micrograms of mercury each day.

Link: https://www.ecowatch.com/mercury-in-seafood-how-much-is-too-much-1881943337.html

I believe you are referring to a post from Glubra in the other thread. Would you quote it? I trust that whatever he said is accurate. He is using advanced lab equipment to analyze the samples. Did he say how many micrograms were found in the sample?

Is it common? Who knows. If mercury was found in one "Dutch MDMA" sample, then it is probably in other similar samples, because they may be using similar synthesis routes. Testing for metals and mercury is not common, and I don't think that companies like Ecstasy Data or Energy Control are really looking for those types of issues in the samples (although, I do think you can request it from Energy Control.)

Again, I can only emphasize that different people have different perceptions of how much mercury is safe. Some people (like pregnant women) are not supposed to eat tuna fish at all.

You can detox mercury, and there is a whole internet rabbit hole about that (chelation is a term that is used to refer to that process). Beware, lots of false info hiding out with the accurate info on this topic. If you are worried about it, send in a hair sample for testing and see if you have high levels of mercury in your body.

I understand what you are saying but what im trying to say is that, obviously if the small handful of us that are on this forum, meaning the small tiny amount of MDMA users who actually give a shit to trying to find good quality product, testing, harm reduction etc, if even us are largely unknowledgeable about this topic, and even us with relatively good connects are finding mercury contaminated MDMA samples, then the average user would get much shittier product, I dont know if im making sense, basically its a little bit hard to believe that this really happens with any sort of regularilty because the consequences would be severe, and he said the sample had something like 0.003% I believe.

And I bet that even among us, 99% are completely in the dark about the amount of mercury in our MDMA and how it was really made for a fact, or where it even comes from, and I dont mean that by secondhand but actually knowing by absolute fact how the MDMA was made where it comes from and the amount of mercury in it, I bet almost no ones knows that about their mdma for a fact even on here.

And im not really worried per se, ive been eating 3 cans of tuna daily for over a decade and I feel great, I know its too much mercury but all my family has done it their whole lifes and they are healthy and fine so im not worried about that, im not worried about the MDMA as long as the amount of mercury in a normal dose is less than a can of tuna, but this person seemed to imply the mercury in the sample he found could by seriously hazardous thats why im worried.

Mercury accumulates in the liver mostly, but also other organs.
It doesn't stay in the blood.
When I said there are therapies, I meant that you can get rid of it.
But not without therapies.

Then why do blood levels of mercury rise and fall according to exposure without any therapy? Such as in the case reports I mentioned where after discontinuing fish in diet fishermen recover completely from mild and moderate mercury poisoning without intervention?

Just anecdotally, ive been eating 3 cans of tuna daily for probably almost 12 years now, my dad eats the same amount and has been doing so for almost 40 years, and I have a friend who is a bodybuilder who eats at least 3 cans daily sometimes much more and has been doing that for several years now, and also takes copious amounts of steroids and MDMA and he is fine... I think it comes down to the individual but personally im not really worried about the normal amount of mercury exposure one might have from diet im worried because this person said that the amount of mercury in that sample of mdma could be lethal and also it was dimethylmercury I believe which is much more toxic, so if this is happening in any kind of scale I think its not unreasonable to be kind of shocked by this, meaning people are dying from mercury exposure due to eating MDMA, if as I said before this person who has testing equipment and access to better quality than average MDMA is coming across samples like these.

What I mean, can we agree that anywhere in the planet if you had to pick a city where the average person would have access to better quality and more pure MDMA would be Amsterdam, before anybody says they have a connect who gets them 100% pure MDMA and they know exactly how the mdma was made and the precursors and the chemists mothers name and whatever BS, im talking about the average person, meaning 99.999% of drug users, meaning the average street dealer in Amsterdam probably has product that is more pure and clean than any other city in the world in average probably, so if this person is finding MDMA with lethal doses of methylmercury in Amsterdam, can we agree that at least in a lot of Europe and probably the rest of the world there are MDMA batches tainted with lethal doses of methylmercury if what this person is saying is true?

I am no chemist, or even remotely close to being one. However, I do know that there are some synths that require aluminum or mercury as part of the synth itself. And, if the chemist using that synth does not purify their product, then yes, you could have some serious and dangerous contaminants. Yes, including mercury.

Is it shocking? Yes. But, when you really start thinking about it, it is not that surprising. Many of the producers only care about profit. They don't care about the health or experience of the end user.

Almost all of the DW product claims to be "84% Dutch." It is not good product. It is not better than average product. Based on everything I have been reading for the past year or so, it is actually shit and causing a lot of health issues.

IMO, you should always assume that your product may be dangerous. There is way, way too much garbage going around and people are experiencing unusual side effects and consequences.

One thing that has become clear from the other thread is that we need better testing options, because what is currently available is not cutting it or really getting to the bottom of the variations from one batch of MDMA to the next.

If you want someone to re-assure you that you will never come across ecstasy/MDMA with a dangerous amount of mercury in it, I don't think anyone can do that. It is definitely possible, even if it is rare.