• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Meds, Herbs, and Supplements that help during opiate W/D

supermarket

Bluelighter
First off, I know there are TONS of threads relating to this topic, and very similiar, and I assure you I have read probably 75% of them from start to finish.
However, this thread is basically asking , what is currently in your stash box for opiate detox. I always add to it whenever I find something to contribute, and in the past month this is what I've managed to scavage together.

Tomorrow is my first day of detox from 240mg oxy/day for 7 days , and a previous opiate tolerance before that. With this kit, I really do expect very minimal w/d symptoms.

So, just curious what everyone else uses to assist them during withdrawals...

Personally, over the years I have created a nice stash box that I use for whenever I decide to go through withdrawals. Tomorrow will be my last day on oxycontin, and this is what I have stashed:

Herbs and Supplements:

kava kava(helps with anxiety)

melatonin ( aids with sleep)

sleep tincture (bought at the local health food store, and has several herbs in it, including valerian root, skullcap, and hops)

Whey Protein shakes (has all amino acids in it, and keeps me from losing weight since I cant eat too much)

Multi-vitamin and mineral (important due to loss of vitamins and minerals, and poor diet during opiate usage and w/d)

Chomper and Herbal Formula (Part of a natural detoxification program that I have, around 30 herbs that are in capsule form taken 3-4 times a day - GREATLY helps restore the digestive tract, and regulate bowel movements)

Fish Oil (Have omega fatty acids in it, very important during detox)

Kratom: Works wonders for tapering, and that is exactly what I use it for.

Prescription Meds:

(Disclaimer: I am in NO ONE condoning using prescription meds without a prescription - and most of the meds can easily be acquired if you talk to a doctor. Again - TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR AND GET A PRESCRIPTION)

Klonopin(Clonazepam): a benzo that works great during days 1-5, especially during the day. I find klonopin is the best benzo to take during the day when detoxing because I can still function, I'm not too zoned out or sleepy, and it gets rid of RLS and restlessness so I can function.

Xanax: the best benzo for night during detox, IMO. 1-4mg knocks me out within 30-40 minutes at the latest, allowing me to get some sleep, no matter how bad the w/d is. Also helps get rid of RLS at night.

Neurontin (Gabapentin): A med used for nerve pain, it is not an opiate and works wonders for RLS. It works on the GABA in your brain - and it helps with depression, anxiety, and RLS. Not the MOST helpful med during w/d, but surely it does its part.

Prescription Sleeping meds (Lunesta, Ambien, Trazadone): All of these work WONDERS because as anyone who has had severe W/D knows, sleep is next to impossible. Usually a VERY SMALL amount of a benzo (xanax) combined with ONE tablet of ONE of these at night will give me 4-5 hours of decent sleep each night, even during days 3 and 4 (the worst)

Suboxone: The MOST useful med during w/d. It is an opiate antagonist, and gets rid of all withdrawals. If taken properly, and during days 2, 3, 4, and 5....you will avoid most withdrawal symptoms, and after day 5 when you quit suboxone, you will be mostly back to normal, especially with the help of the rest of the meds.

So, what do you guys have stashed away for withdrawals? What do you guys use.....anything from supplements to meds. Share!

Some others I have used in the past, but don't currently have are: Darvocet (for tapering, works better than kratom IMO), Soma (for relaxing the tension , its a muscle relaxer and works wonders during detox), and Clonidine

Let me know what you guys think
Edit/Delete Message

Not that I would condone it since it was illegal, but if somhow you could obtain a marijuanna script, that it the only thing that your kit really lacks. you could actually do it w benzoes and subs alone, but weed would help. heres a very unconventional method, that worked by chance for a "friend", but in all probably will not work for anyone else e3ver again. probnably a fluke, but youre welsome to try... as said "friend" experienced pretty much zero withdrarakl......

friehd detoxed and WDed 4 times, each getting increasingly easier. heres the last and proabably most unconventional/dangerous method, but 95% of WD symptoms were never experienced....

friend was using .5 g herion a day.
day 1-after 24 hours of non use, friend smoked a fentanyl patch, as he had to attend little cousnins graduation, and forgot and felt bad thinking he had t start over.
24 hours later (day 2), friend smoked weed and took some temezapam... that is allo
Day threee, was wondering what happened to wD, as he never got any. so he IVed a suboxong hoping to precipitate WD just in case the fentanly affected how soon it would work. sweated for 5 mins, then felt fine. in fact, felt great.
Day 4 did iy again day 4, still feel fine.
Day 5- friend gonna IV again, but then after today iseither gonns SL it or stop taking it and get a narcan patch

hey supermarket...questions?
why kava kava over st. john's wort?
and about timing of using kratom and bupe.. can they overlap, or do you have to be off the kratom for long enough to be in w/d's before touching the bupe? (i know next to nothing about kratom, just heard about it yesterday and started reading).

ps. can you look at my thread (kicking this weekend) and my list of w/d supplies and help? (no i can't get any rx drugs besides the ones i have).

hey supermarket...questions?
why kava kava over st. john's wort?
and about timing of using kratom and bupe.. can they overlap, or do you have to be off the kratom for long enough to be in w/d's before touching the bupe? (i know next to nothing about kratom, just heard about it yesterday and started reading).

ps. can you look at my thread (kicking this weekend) and my list of w/d supplies and help? (no i can't get any rx drugs besides the ones i have).

1. I choose Kava Kava because of two main reasons. 1) Kava, unlike st johns wort, works more directly with anxiety instead of depression, whereas st. john wort is the opposite. 2) The kava kava I have is 30 dollars for a tincture, and it is a concentrated extract that is alcohol based. You drop 1 dropper full in some water and you are ALL set.

St. Johns wort, like SSRIs , is not an instant aid. Instead, st johns wort generally only works if you take it daily, at 300mg 3x a day for 3-4 weeks. This is the proper, most effective way to take it. Even doing so, I never found it effective, and since I worked at a Health Food Store, I had access to very good quality st johns wort.

2. Kratom is, in mine and most others opinion, and opioid. Although I have no experience taking it with suboxone, I personally NEVER would. To me it would be like taking a small dose of hydrocodone or oxy with sub - pointless, and contradictory to my detox process.

Kratom is mainly used in detox without suboxone - or in my case (which I didnt do , but was going to) using kratom to taper from oxy, then after stopping kratom, waiting for w/d to kick in, and taking sub.

Instead, I just went ahead and jumped into sub. I'M going to use as LITTLE sub as I possibly can, just enough to avoid w/d....and for no longer than 5 days.

I'm going to look in, and post in your thread right now. Good luck with kicking :)

Supplements: Vitamin C, and L-tyrosine! From thomas's recipe... gives a kind of energy boost.
A big bag of nice crystally chronic buds for sure.

As for prescription meds that could be used in absence of the ones you have, or in addition? Skeletal muscle relaxants like Robaxin (methocarbamol), Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine), etc, are quite helpful for the restless legs I have found.
INCREDIBLE PRESCRIPTION MED ALERT: If you get stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting or anything at all the like during withdrawal, ONDANSETRON aka ZOFRAN is a fucking GOD SEND. Better than compazine, I think better than phenegren. There was a study done showing the potential of this strongg antiemetic in opioid withdrawals; results were positive. How to obtain? I would recommend asking the doctor, and refer to the medication by name. It is in no way indicative of substance abuse, and it has no abuse potential. I'd recommend 4-8 mg every 6 hours.

Also... Immodium, Burts Bees bath crystals in a piping hot bath, fabulous. And I suppose chocolate always makes me feel better for whatever reason, and maybe throw a carton of cigs in your stash box as well!

Last edited:
I decided to kick heroin and have been off it for 4 days now and withdrawals are kicking me hard from headaches, waking up with a swolen throat, fevers, chills, muscle pains, nausea and sore stomach. Needless to say I wasn't prepared for this although my body feels the pain, I do not. I do not want to take a painkiller or another drug, I am stronger than what I'm going through. After reading this I prepared a cuppa St. John's wort because that's all I have at hand. I'm hoping it helps for the things it says on the pamphlet and it won't be long until I'm feeling fit and healthy again.

I prepared 1 cup St.johns wort and left it for 10 minutes with a kid covering it otherwise the medicinal properties are lost. Feeling a lot better but still feel like shit. Thinking of getting valerian root as well to help ease my body but I'll just keep preparing St. John's wort for now and see how it goes. All my nausea symptoms have disappeared but still have a runny nose and headache.

I am currently on day 3 of detox from a week long binge of dros. Was taking about 40 mg every day. Before that it was a week of percs. And a few weeks ago I was doing about 180 mg or Roxy for about 2 weeks. I'm tired of needing stupid pills just to be Happy with life. anyways I've decided to quit for good!!! Earlier today I was feeling AWFUL! I managed to get my hands on a xanax bar which obviously helped with my anxiety but I still just wasn't feeling "normal". I forced myself into wal mart and bought vitamin c and st johns wort. Took them and one of my prescribed 800 mg gabapentin and believe it or not I feel like a regular person again. I still have a few body aches but my mind, which was my biggest problem, feels wonderful. I have hope that I'm going to be able to get through this. I can't believe how well that combination worked. I was losing hope and then I figured out what works!!