• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide withdrawal.... horrible... suggestions please!!

oneswtwld

Bluelighter
I have been taking around 220 mgs of loparamide per day for a few months...

I tried to stop cold turkey 4 days ago and the withdrawals are HORRIBLE....

worse than suboxone, worse than IV heroin... for me...

What do I do?

I can not afford to lose my job, I would go to rehab, but I can't

Should I taper down a few mg's per day?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

thanx and love

Tapering would be my suggestion. Can I ask why you started taking that much lope in the first place? bTW I have seen some evidence on the net that using that much lope for any period of time is really bad.

Georgie: When high doses of Lope are used it overwhelms the defense systems of the blood brain barrier, and gets into the brain causing central opioid effects. When normal doses are used, the brain exports all of it. You'll notice that boxes of Imodium say not to use it on children under 3 and that side effects for sensitive persons include drowsiness.
---

Loperamide withdrawal is long and intense, sometimes lasting weeks. Transition to a short acting opioid for awhile then detox preferably after a taper if you wish to do so.

thank you all... any suggestions on how to approach a taper anda suggestion of a short-acting opiod?

thank you so very much again

Take the lowest dose needed to make you feel 'normal'. Decrease that dose slowly. Eventually you'll be down to e.g. 50mg lope where you can just droop it entirely.

Take your time, the process can take weeks.

I'm sorry but i'm so lost... Who in their right mind would take that much? Sure it's potency is that of Fentanyl, but it barely crosses the BBB.

If you can't get "Real" opiates, don't do OTC shit. I wouldn't be surprised if you hurt your body with 30x more immodium than needed.

200mg+ Immodium??? This is absolutely sickening. What made you think this would be okay in the first place?

No high DOES NOT EQUAL no w/d.

yeah loperamide wd is awful. worst i've ever experienced. said many times by methadoners and bupers.

worst withdrawal ever.

taper down is the only way. btw have you noticed any parkinsons-like symptoms?

To everyone who's saying they know what immodium WD's are like, I just have one question:

Why? Just... Why would you take something that's supposed to help the shits to get high? And at ridiculous doses like that?

I would not want to know what it's done to your bodies, and talk about a fucking embarrassment if you had to go to rehab over Immodium WD.

This is the first time I've been shocked at some bluelighters, and I have read some crazy shit on here.

Before I ever did any opiates, I would take Imodium for for obvious reasons & it would make me feel at ease & do its job on my stomach but never knew someone could actually get high from it when taking high doses until reading it on this site..........

My question is how much money did you spend a week on Loperamide & I hope you get through your withdrawals.......its crazy the the withdrawals are worse than some strong opiates.

I believe the W/D's are due to it's similarity to fentanyl, and fentanyl W/D are a nightmare.

And this is definitely one of the most shocking threads I've found on BlueLight.

Why? Just... Why would you take something that's supposed to help the shits to get high? And at ridiculous doses like that?

I use Loperamide because I am not going to subject myself to driving 30 miles a day to get a bupe tablet when I can with a budget well within my means use Loperamide to maintain both physically and mentally my addiction without having to wait around in an office for it to be given to me one dose at a time. I am willing to risk Parkinson's for this until the day comes where the government gets out of my life and as a result semi-synthetic opioids become affordable to me. Laudanum was cheaper than beer when it was unregulated by the litre. The main problem that fucks with addicts is financial in nature. If the government would fuck off, then opioids would again be widely accessible and addicts could maintain in the privacy of their homes in peace. If the government stepped away from controlling opioids, Oxycodone would become as cheap as any other storebrand analgesics sold OTC. UN's limitations on poppy production, and U.S.' war on opioids stifles supply and artificially inflates prices. Shit, I'd be happy to just be able to grow a field of poppies without being persecuted. I would rather take this risk than subject myself to the deliberate punitive system put in place for methadone and suboxone dispensation in most states, whereby they make you spend hours a day waiting for your dose, and oftentimes the pharmacist will screw with you because they think of you as scum. No, I take my treatment into my own hands with the tools I have available.

I take a normal dose of Miralax every OTHER day and I am regular with no discomfort whatsoever. If I take Miralax daily I actually can end up with loose stool even with 200-300mg doses of Loperamide taken daily. Yes, depending on circumstances you can end up with an impacted bowel but this can happen with any opioid regimen.

Loperamide is an opioid. An opioid that is far more active in GI vs the brain, yes, but still an opioid. It will take years for the stigma around using it as a maintenance drug to fade. Eventually the FUD about not shitting for a month and its a placebo effect etc will fade, and when that happens it will be a Schedule II drug so in a way I am grateful that many people still put down Loperamide maintenance as it creates doubt in the government apparatus who watches for these things.

Last edited:
God... given it's action I can't even imagine how shitty loperamide w/ds must be... I like the high, but considering how long a large dose of loperamide fucks me up (similar to methadone, 24-48hrs I feel it in my system playing with my opioid receptors), the w/d must not only be intense but long long loooong lasting...

I feel for you OP. Good luck!!!

p.s. if you don't mind DXM try that for the w/d. the way it reduces your tolerance can actually make w/d a walk in the park. Although you case dose present us with an extreme example of dependency.

loperamide is an opioid. An opioid that is far more active in gi vs the brain, yes, but still an opioid. It will take years for the stigma around using it as a maintenance drug to fade. Eventually the fud about not shitting for a month and its a placebo effect etc will fade, and when that happens it will be a schedule ii drug so in a way i am grateful that many people still put down loperamide maintenance as it creates doubt in the government apparatus who watches for these things.

^yes!^

Wait your in cinncinati you should be able to get a script for bupe where you dont have to go everyday but thats niether here nor there. What I dont get is why risk parkinsons disease when you could budget a better maintenance opiate to maintain with I cant imagine a hydrocodone habit would be much more expensive then eating 200 mgs of loperamide a day what is that like 100 pills a day? Im not trying to lecture you just genuinly interested in your reasoning. But if I was you I would switch to a short acting full agonist and either use it to maintain or taper.

Well I buy lope in bulk amounts, sometimes from raw material suppliers. I did use pods for awhile but the price became too prohibitive. Consulting with those in the area it's been made clear that 1. I will be documented as an addict and if I develop chronic pain in the future I will be limited to 5/325 hydrocodone/apap given 10 at a time with drug testing at best because doctors will see the "addict" scarlet letter in my medical records for life. Many doctors, at least in this area, assume all addicts to be drug seeking patients and due to DEA auditors constantly auditing practices many docs want nothing to do with such patients -- association alone puts them at risk of prosecution. and 2. When I considered subs it was made abundantly clear that nobody is giving me scripts for at least the first 6 months. Plus I am uninsured which makes things even more complicated. There's ways to prevent getting the addict scarlet letter in your records but it requires having a lawyer.

And if that ain't bad enough, congress is far from done waging war on opioid users. It will get even tighter and doctors will be even more tightfisted with opioids. It'll get worse before it gets better. The onslaught of RCs has the federal government in a disarray of how to deal with it. It is the "second front" of the offensive on drug prohibition, which I believe will eventually result in the dissolution of the war on drugs at the federal level.

Since there's a no price rule I'll simply say that Loperamide is the only maintenance method I got that doesn't ever go above 4 figures a month. I hold out hope that there will be a cheap opioid RC at some point that has readily available precursors, and that'll be the rescue ship. I know the 72 count and lower bottles of Lope are expensive indeed, but i buy in bulk, sometimes not even tablets just raw drums.

Last edited:
Consulting with those in the area it's been made clear that 1. I will be documented as an addict and if I develop chronic pain in the future I will be limited to 5/325 hydrocodone/apap given 10 at a time with drug testing at best because doctors will see the "addict" scarlet letter in my medical records for life.

Not to get off topic, but are you sure about this? The only type of monitoring that I know of is the prescription monitoring program. I don't think that there is a database that has everyone in the state who has been prescribed suboxone listed as addicts, so that they won't ever get strong pain meds if needed in the future. It sounds absurd. The patient files that suboxone Drs have don't leave there unless the patient gives consent.

The only way that any doctor would find out that someone was previously prescribed suboxone is if they look the person up in the prescription monitoring program, and see "suboxone" as one of the drugs the person was prescribed recently. However, these systems are purged of their data after a certain time period, so I wouldn't worry too much. The stare of Ohio purges the prescribing records after 2 years as seen on page 7 here. Also, doctors that are going to prescribe someone narcotics are only encouraged to check the system if they think the person is suspicious, but they don't have to because the person wouldn't make it past pharmacists they tried Dr Shopping.

It's not anything that's hard fact or from regulation or policy, no but its anecdotes from people who would know and they all are consistent with the info they relay about how doctors choose to deal with increasing pressure from the feds and the news media's "pill mills are murdering fluffy kittens" ridiculousness and thats by avoiding patients with, in particular, opioid addictions. Staying away from the Schedule IIs to save the hassle and stress, etc. Some of these are people in my family with chronic pain ailments.

Good to know about the purge. Will keep it in mind if i find a program that does takehome subox from the get-go (or subutex).