• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide (Imodium) Megathread v. 2

If you aren't already, start doing a daily workout regimen. 30 minutes or more of cardio (could even be brisk walking), and some weight training. Working out every day is the difference between having PAWS for weeks or months and feeling like shit and having a really hard time, and recovering quickly and feeling increasingly good pretty fast. It makes a tremendous difference. The only times I have successfully gotten off opiates and stayed off more than a short while was when I started working out daily as soon as I wasn't withdrawing too hard to do so.
This 100%

When i got on testosterone after getting out of prison, i was back on suboxone due to relapse issues, but had 'minor' hopes that the Test would help me get off all opiates for good.

And believe it or not, after a few weeks on the Test, I said "fuck it" and cold turkeyed my subs no issue off 4mg a day. Only reason i ended back on them was because i got shot in the gut with a .357 but im back off of them now almost 2 years later.

Actually took a suboxone about 2 weeks ago, and have had MAJOR irritable bowel issues so I ran and snagged some Lope to take with some GFJ and cimetidine.

To add to what I said,

Working out is the key to reversing gene expressions that negatively impact and reinforce our addictive behaviors alongside with restoring the neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin back to normal..working out can most literally rewind the damage that has been done. Almost entirely and completely, at virtually any stage with exceptions of people with very bad heart conditions..

In which case, you have to take a very specific approach to working out, but is NOT a reason to not "work out." You just have to work out differently than normal people. But there are workouts designed for people with heart conditions. It doesnt matter what condition it is. If you arent on Hospice with a terminal illness, you should be working out to SOME capacity and being a drug addict is no excuse to me at all. Im by far the most experimental drug addict i know with the exception of one (dying) friend, (sidenote he doesnt work out even though his mind is brilliant). He does the same shit. He even takes testosterone..but only because he has taken everything ive done, and went further, for longer, and harder, with no rest, no recuperating, and has probably not worked out in all his adult life.

The parallels are quite unreal, the similarities between us, but the difference in where our physical and mental health is currently at because I focused on my diet and exercise all of my years of abuse while he didn't despite the knowledge to know better.

Last edited:
I just used 238mg of loperamide to completely eliminate withdrawal from 120mg methadone daily.

I’ve read about it for years but desperation (which seems to be the driving factor for most) is what finally led me to try it. Took 1000mg cimetidine an hour before I started dosing (50mg staggered every hour and a half or so).

I was slightly disappointed at first thinking my tolerance may just be too high, but it took a good 7 hours before I noticed I was almost completely well.

I had no doubt it was active but am totally surprised it covered methadone withdrawal.

Zero euphoria just peripheral effects. I was able to eat, sleep, clean myself up etc which also made a world of a difference. Not using as maintenance, just bridging a gap in my prescription.

Last edited:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE EVERYONE,
Do not use loperamide in high doses. You will eventually DIE.
It is true it will cover and eliminate any withdrawal from every drug in this world, fentanyl, heroin, methadone, Suboxone, no matter how many years, on any drug you have been on, again it will completely eleminate the withdrawals. But believe me when I say this, you will die. And it is not a pleasant death, it will stop your heart and not right away, it will start beating and stoping few times from zero heartbeat to 150-180 heartbeat's it is fucking hell. Cannot describe the feeling you get in this process, but it is the worst thing any human can experience. And I did.
I tell you this because even the worst human being there is out there still doesn't deserve to die like this. I came back from Dad literally it was extremely lucky because the first time I lost consciousness there was an ambulance right next to me and the hospital few minutes away the doctors didn't know what was happening and put a cathedral in my heart electronically controlled to not let my heart go below or too high the normal limits. Even then they couldn't explain how I was still alive. Anyway it is a long story if I go into details but I write this and I beg you to not take loperamid more than the normal limit.

Last edited:
Can I ask why people wouldn’t just use Kratom/extracts? What would be the point of taking a lot of this stuff when you can legally achieve a decent affect from Kratom or even tianeptine?

Just took 72mg Loperimide with 60mg Omeprazole, after no amount of kratom extract combined with any amount of codeine with Lyrica helped my PAWS from my DOC (1g IV'd of extremely pure diacetylmorphine china white tested by myself in Lab per day and a half, sometimes 2 days) which, yes, is an insane amount of opioid. It was a 5 month habit that just kept going and going higher in dose. The loperimide is somewhat alleviating my withdrawal, it's a dirty high - but at least the restlessness which was hellish has become tolerable. Most aspects have become tolerable. I do not want to increase Lopermide dosage as I have read about its toxic QTC effects on the heart, and noticed some weird behaviour by my heart at this dosage. I will not be repeating this dosage. I will be going to what's called an OAT Clinic (OAT = Opioid Agonist Treatment) here in BC Canada, and going on Hydromorphone and taper that while starting a Suboxone micro-induction (starting very small and slowly rising dose of suboxone over the course of a week until desired dose, while still using Hydromorphone, and avoiding any Precipitated withdrawal), then tapering the Hydromorphone (IV) and eventually stopping IV, switching to a weaker ROA (route of administration), and then tapering the weaker Hydromorph ROA until I am just on Suboxone, and then tapering the Suboxone over the course of a few weeks or a month, and finally getting out of this Hellish opioid prison i have made for myself, and getting back to being my best self, in the eyes and with the support of the most high. My god is pure diacetylemorphine IV'd addicting. Holy shit. I had no idea. It just locked me right into prison and I didn't realize for months. so powerful. My god. Don't ever engage your curiosity when it comes to wondering how the more powerful ROA's feel. You'll be right in prison instantly.

Micro dosing works. I switched from 1.5g of fentanyl a day to Suboxone without any withdrawal.

Well, call me an outlier, but having tried Loperamide while WD from several opiates, including Morphine, Fentanyl, and Oxycodone, it did nothing at all in terms of mitigating WD symptoms. And yeah, I took as much as I thought would be safe (and more) and again, nothing. In fact, I can't even taste it anymore or smell it, because in my case, I believe it made me feel even worse. It wasn't until I discovered Kratom many moons ago that actually helped and made coming off of opiates reasonably manageable. That was years ago and wouldn't touch an opiate again unless it was absolutely necessary. I suffered enough and fuck that noise. Anyway, Lope was completely useless for me and lord knows I tried...more than once then just forgot about it. And in many ways I looked at it as "Well, if Loperamide was the answer to this question, why is anyone going though withdrawals, ever? If having Loperamide was so sound, why would anyone ever go through withdrawals if all you need was an OTC medication?" Again, that's just me...

I am withdrawing from loperamide at this moment it's so intense and not a pretty site

It should be prescription only imo

Should be able to start my prescribed daily dose of bupe later today though so hope I get some sort of relief

I am withdrawing from loperamide at this moment it's so intense and not a pretty site

It should be prescription only imo

Should be able to start my prescribed daily dose of bupe later today though so hope I get some sort of relief

I'm curious, what doses and for how long were you on it?

Were you able to get a bupe script without dropping dirty for other opioids? Did they know it's for lope?

good luck man

I'm curious, what doses and for how long were you on it?

Were you able to get a bupe script without dropping dirty for other opioids? Did they know it's for lope?

good luck man

so i have been on a weekly bupe script for 3 years and have got down to 1.2. but about 7 days ago I got sick of always being in the edge of WD, so I have dabbled with lope before and decided to take around 72mg a day for about 7 days along with PPI's as I get a nice buzz out of it. I stopped the bupe during this 7 days but realised i am killing myself slowly probably and need to get back on it. But as Lope has a long half-life i am trying to micro-induct so I dont go into PWD (which I have done before with lope/full opiates), its not as bad as full blown WD's but still havent slept for 2 nights and last night i was a trembling mess, full body aches miserable etc but managed to get to work today.

Lope doesnt test dirty so its a bit of a trick

Thanks man Ill keep on it, got to get it right this time

so I need some advice, I am down to 24mg of lope a day now as I have done a quick taper as need to get off this shit ASAP . there has been a HUGE change of direction in my life in the past 3 weeks as I start a senior tech consultant role on 8th Jan in London for a huge IT firm and need to be on the ball and with it so I dont screw it up for me and for mostly my family who I fucked over that many times I need to do this for them so they start trusting me again, Im nearly 50 and cant keep acting like a teenager. its the chance of a lifetime for me, new title, double the money i am on at the moment so I need to deliver, shit i could even be on over a 6 figure income in a year if I nail it. i know i can i just need to be totally clean (apart from the mirtazapine and prescribed baclofen for muscle spasms) and on the ball and i will do well i know it. I will be working with an ex colleague that left my current company a couple of years back so he knows i know my shit and can deliver and we deal with a very niche subject in the cloud world so he contacted me and things just started rolling.

I have stopped the bupe totally now been off that for nearly 3 months now (roughly) and dont take any other opiates apart from lope

so I have been on 24mg a day for about 4 days now. i take it in the morning but by 5pm ish i start to feel shitty, and then I go to bed take my mirtazapine and get about 5 hours of weird vivid/lucid/trippy dreams and wake up feeling not that bad but still in moderate WD

how long do you think it will take me to stabilise ? as soon as i have on 24mg can i just stop ? or shall i go to 12mg for a week and then stop ? I can handle taking 12mg a day for a while if needs be i just want off this shit as quick as possible, i cant afford to screw this up, it would be so embarrassing and I have a 3 month probation period in my new role, which i am sure i will pass as long as i am not in any discomfort from lope wd

pretty sad state of affairs when i am addicted to an anti-diarrheal drug thats also toxic as fuck for your heart but hey ho i am where I am at with it, wish i never read about its benefits during opiate WD, they should fucking be prescription only IMHO that would solve a lot of peoples problems

Last edited:
I'm currently trying to stop taking Loperamide so I read thru this entire thread. I'll share my experience.

- The Why: It started 10+ years ago when I had major surgery and the Dr. abruptly cut me off Dilaudid. I have Crohns and he removed some of my small intestine, it was actually the second time I had the surgery, 1st time was when I was 18 and diagnosed with Crohns. So after reading about Loperamide for withdrawals online I picked up a box and sure enough 2hrs later I started feeling good again. From then I just kept taking it, I felt good on it, motivated, talkative, it was a positive experience. Fast forward to now and I have to take it or else I feel like garbage. I get bottles of it and go thru around 600 tabs a week, usually taking 70 tabs upon waking then maybe a few more throughout the day. I wanted to get off but there always seemed to be a reason/excuse to stay taking large amounts. Around 2 weeks ago I got so depressed at where my life is and finally feel very motivated to stop. I dont have to leave my house to make money so i became a hermit, stopped seeing friends and family, basically dropped out of life. I think taking Loperamide made me content and not caring, makes me numb, but also embarrassed and not wanting to go out.

- Finally Trying to Stop: I was addicted to pain killers previously, like 20yrs ago after getting introduced to oxy 80s off the street, I went to inpatient detox twice and was also taking suboxone and tapered off successfully back then, so I had an idea what it will take to detox. I figured I will need Clonidine this time so i made a tele-health appointment with a Dr. 2 sundays ago. The dr. was good, she never heard of anyone taking large doses of Loperamide before so I explained my situation. I was totally honest with everything. I explained my wanting to stop CT and how I feel Clonidine would help with withdrawal and she agreed so called in a script.

- Withdrawal: I stopped taking loperamide last Moday and started the Clonidine, I have a home blood pressure monitor so used it to make sure my BP wasnt getting too low. I will say my BP has been around stage 2 for at least a year now, I never checked it before I got the monitor so could be longer. Im wondering if it is caused by the loperamide? Monday and Tuesday i was fine, then Wednesday started the tingling in my arms and no sleep, from then on it just got worse. It wasn't severe withdrawals, I wasn't on the bathroom floor wanting to die, but more like just felt like garbage, no sleep, no energy, no showering, no eating. I started reading thru this thread and got scared seeing just how long everyone says the withdrawals last. I couldnt function, afraid to drive to the store to get food. I happen to have a bottle of cabaser/Cabergoline so took a 1mg tab Thursday night thinking it may help with the tingling arms and sleep, it didnt and I think it just made me feel weirder. So I started taking loperamide again, 12 tabs every 2 hrs and felt zero relief. I also stopped the Clonidine since i felt it was making me so lazy, like walking thru mud. Moday morning I took 35 tabs of Loperamide and a few hours later i felt ok, I finally wanted to shower and eat. This morning i woke and took 35 tabs again and now i feel ok, I will even say I feel good.

- So I failed to completely stop but it feels like I have at least lowered the dose by half and for that I am very happy. I now know my limits and jumping off completely is not an option. I think the week of feeling like garbage was worth lowering the dose. Now my plan is to slowly taper, 1 tab every other day maybe? I write the question mark because im going to have to take it one day at a time, I just don't know.

I will say I think i lasted that long withdrawaling because I have bottles of Loperamide to take if i really needed to. In my head I was telling myself just wait 5 more minutes, 5 minutes at a time. If i didnt have any on hand I probably would have been worried about the withdrawals getting worse and gone to the store much earlier. If that makes sense?

I just had another telehealth call with the Dr. as a follow-up. I told her what happened and she recommended Gabapentin for the no sleep/RLS. She called me in a script for 300mg capsules X 90. She said start with 1 a day and see how I feel. I also still have plenty of Clonidine that i can take as needed, i figure take 1/2 a tab of it the days i lower the dose? I remember when I had tapered myself off Suboxone before the Dr. put me on Gabapentin and Wellbutrin and i was able to stop, but i seem to remember it making me very happy when first starting them.

I have also been researching what supplements will be good, my diet isnt the best. So far i bought some gummi multivitamins and gummi Magnesium to take. I hear vitamin C/ascorbic acid may help also?

I really hope my motivation to stop keeps up, I realized im where I am right now because of my own actions, i put myself in this position and need to change. Its hard to not dwell on the past, being angry at myself.

I will also add that even with having Crohns I never seemed to have any issues taking the large amounts of Loperamide, in fact i think it helped regulate me and I went to the bathroom once a day, instead of having diareah. I cant ever remember thinking my stomach was messed up and i couldnt go to the bathroom.

Last edited:
So finally after 10+ years taking Loperamide I'm on day# 6 no Loperamide.

How long do the acute withdrawals last for people? I keep reading stories of people saying its been 5 weeks or 8 weeks, to me that sounds insane.

Im taking a few 2g doses of kratom a day and a 300mg gabapentin as needed, maybe once during the day then at night before bed. Plus Wellutrin to hopefully help with depression.

Are people saying its 5-8 weeks of hell, or is that 5-8 weeks of insomnia and no energy type of thing? Im just wondering if I need to order more Kratom because i dont want to stop and feel like garbage.

How much do you have to take to get an opioid butz. I’ve heard that you have to take massive doses and I’m very wary about that