• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Long term Health Consequences- Binders and Fillers.

Treyderaid

Bluelighter
Hello All. I am a 27 year old recovering addict. To make a long story short, I am concerned about my truth and my health. I am afraid of the consequences of a decade of on again off again intravenous pharmaceutical opiate abuse. We all know about the dangers of injecting pharmaceuticals without micron filters. I for many years abused oxycodone and other pharm. opiates. I had a sort of suicidal ideation associated with my drug abuse that I'm not here to talk about. But basically for many years I was aware of and embraced my likely demise as a part of my addiction. However, I had a change of heart in which I now view life from a brighter perspective. I am concerned about the long term consequences of the fillers and binders I undoubtedly injected. I want to hear from other recovering addicts who may have similar concerns and experiences. I am afraid. I am filled with regret. I know there is no going back in time and changing anything and that all I can really do is eat well and exercise and hope for the best, so I'm doing that, but this does not change my desire for knowledge and my desire to relate to others in similar shoes. I thank you all for your time and attention and pray that few of you can relate. This has been a hellish rollercoaster and I'm thankful for every day I have left, I know that It could have been worse and that I am entitled to nothing. But here I am, curious and concerned- Trey.

Hi there,

First, kudos for taking back control of your life. Stressing on what permanent damage you may have done is definitely something, addict or not, can torment any of us, even if it meant binging on ice cream the previous night.

You didn't specify exactly the frequency of injecting or how--or how long you've been clean. But, generally speaking, if you didn't notice significant physical changes that didn't heal or didn't have constant cellulitis, I think you may be overthinking this. What you did was certainly unhealthy and dumb, but if you are otherwise healthy right now, get your checkups, get out some and do some light exercise, can move and ambulate like a normal 27y/o, and eat decently, you're going to be fine.

I haven't been exactly in your shoes in that I have never injected, but I do also wonder/worry what previous drugs have done to my brain and such.

I think the best advice any of us can give you is: If you don't notice anything objectively wrong with your body right now, know that you got over it, be proud of yourself, and move on. If nothing is affecting you now because of it, I would think lasting damage that would really matter is unlikely. You're young enough. Get off this forum, be happy, and live a great life that others may not have been so lucky to have.

Best of luck to you.

Pretty solid advice, thanks friend. I was thinking along the same lines in terms of my positive thinking, but then I am a type 1 diabetic and I'm specifically worried about kidney damage. Type 1 diabetes is very rough on the kidneys, and so is intravenous drug abuse. So naturally I worry, but yes I am active and as health as I can be. You're probably right about the course of action regardless of the absence or presence of permanent physical damage. But stories like some medical documentation I've Read about individuals who inject pharmaceutical opioids, got clean, and died years later from the long term affects of binder and fillers are a little scary to say the least.

And you could also get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that you’re suffering from diabetes. Just add “get regular labs” to my initial response. If your labs show good kidney function and continue to do so, you should be confident that you’re in good shape.

But otherwise nobody can know what may suddenly happen based on your previous use, but given your current healthy state, I’d definitely say the odds are in your favor.

Enjoy your life my friend.

Chances are good that if nothing acute has happened yet, it won't in the future (at least directly related to your drug use)

Some of that stuff can stay in your body a long time, but as soon as you stop doing it, your body cleans itself and finds homeostasis surprisingly quickly.

You've already done everything you can (stop shooting pills) so no need to worry about this another minute unless you start having obvious cardiac/pulmonary/disturbing symptoms

can you get a kidney function test?

i was super worried about my kidneys for different reasons (drinking so little water i wouldn't pee for days while i was using) and a simple blood test but my mind at rest. i do feel that if there's a medic you can confide in, they can give you more solid advice than you can get from any anecdotes on here. i feel you about the worry about permanent damage etc etc. i am petrified of what i've done to my health through using. there's nothing either of us can do now apart from try and be healthy, including working on our mental health to reduce the probability of relapse.

well done on quitting.

the human body has a tremendous ability to heal and detox itself ..once we stop putting in the chemicals ...i have known so many who have quit drugging whose bodies healed very quickly and are now in great health...it's our minds that is the tough part!!! ...keep doing what ur doing, drink lots of water, exercise if you can as much as you can, and indeed listen to the wise advice above ..no sense in worrying. someone told me worrying is like praying for what you don't want .it has its own way of causing bad health I know sometimes it is hard not to worry- but try and find a visualization to distract yourself from it...i think of of that old end of Warner Bros cartoon episodes -when i notice I am ocd worrying i picture bugs bunny saying 'th-th-th-thats all folks!' I swear every time I do it I laugh a bit and it takes away some anxiety!! congrats on coming this far ...!!!