• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Learning to dance.

• Thread starter Cantdanceforshit
  • Start date
C

Cantdanceforshit

20 year old male.
Australia.

Ok well im 20 years old and i cannot dance. I listen to heavy metal (slipknot, killswitch engage etc etc) and even though i dont mind listening to the radio and pop music i never feel like dancing.

Ive got a relativly large group of friends and they listen to trance/pop etc etc so whenever we go out to pubs / clubs a fair few of them like the dance. Especialy the girls.

Now this is where it sucks, I never feel like dancing and i have no idea how to dance even. Chicks come up and ask me to dance and i decline and i generally get the impression they take it as some kind of rejection.

Dancing makes meeting new people and hooking up so much easier - i MUST learn. Always have chicks offering to teach me but i just feel stupid and shit. Tried watching otherguys but a video or website would be soomuch easier lol.

"just follow the music you say?" I dont feel the rythem or any of that shit.

Does anyone know any good videos or websites with hints on how to dance lol?

I'm going to put this in Aus Social, but mods if you think it would be better for Second Opinion pls feel free to move it!

First thing is to stop worrying about what others think and just close your eyes and let go.

Two bits of advice I really liked:
massive said:
practice bad dancing, and enjoy to dance bad
It sounds weird, but when you're TRYING to look like a dick you don't stress at all about it...I used to have a bunch of friends and all we did when we went out was danced like idiots; acting like extras in one of those 60's Top of the Pops shows or doing interpretive dance moves like a wanker, or acting out like every single line in the song....it was heaps fun, and more often than not other people would join in or at least we'd get comments about how much fun we were having. Being able to actually dance is all well and good, but you'll make just as much of an impression if people think you're funny too.. :)

OhSoBec said:
First thing is to stop worrying about what others think and just close your eyes and let go.
...and if you don't wanna go the dickhead route, then this too is an awesome piece of advice. I got over my paralysing fear of dancing when I used to go to goth clubs, because there pretty much anything goes and nobody is going to judge you if you don't have mad skills...and then I just carried it over to any other type of nightclub.

I wouldn't stress about the dancing thing; you don't have to be good at it as long as you're having fun. :)

Most people who dance, aren't particularly good at it - myself included.

The trick is to dance regardless of this, and not be afraid of how you look to other people. Chances are they don't really care anyhow. Even if they do notice that you're godawful ;).

Just remember that many people who dance had a time when they were 'the worst' [or close enough]. When your friends offer to teach you, let them, if you want to learn to dance. And don't give up when you don't get the moves first time round. Hardly anyone does.

The reason you don't feel the rhythm of the music is because you're not yet able to get lost in it ;).

Last edited:
Videos to study:

1. Footloose- bad 80's Frankenstein is taught how to dance (Let's hear it for the boy!)
2. Funky Monks- Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Pepper's is the king of "letting it all go and no one will care" funk dance
3 Micheal Jackson's History- As long as you don't groove near a kindy, the man can move. Also highlights the fact that any poor dance move looks sharp when a group of people pull the same move in unison (if thats your thang).

If all else fails, try the "white man's overjet" ;)

^^^ All pretty good advice. However, if dancing in public still sounds too bold, I would suggest putting on your favorite tune in your bedroom after dark and turning off the lights. Dance every night like this for awhile, thinking of your body as being one with the beat, (sounds corny, I know). Simply surrender to the tune, allowing yourself to move as if you are being controlled by the beat and rhythm. As Raz said, there needs not be any notion of what's cool or uncool. Then try it one night with the lights on.

As a final step, try placing a body length mirror in the bedroom. If you're not shocked at the sight of yourself, confidence will rule, and you'll be on the podium in no time :D

A funny but kinda sweet thing happened during a 3 day dance event we did in '98. It was a sleepy hinterland town, where dance music was practically unknown. During the night, on the edge of the main outdoor dance area, an old local farmer said to my mother-in-law (also first aid nurse) that he was really pleased to see young people dancing again. He said he hadn't seen anything like it since the old barn-dance days. However, he was perplexed.

"No one seems to be dancing with anyone else" said the old boy

"That way, no-one has to worry about being rejected" replied Nursy

"Oh, right!" he said, I like that idea...

Some time later he was spied in the shadows at the back of the crowd bopping away to hardcore trance. It was a moment to behold. Later again he was seen talking with a bunch of young ladies. Rejection was no-where to be seen :)

^ cool story.

and yeah I dont think its so much about moves as it is confidence

I disagree with the mirror thing... I'm generally quite happy to be the only person on a dancefloor, in full view of everyone, off in my own little world. But if I catch ever site of my reflection while I'm dancing, I lose all confidence and I think I look funny. Good thing there's not many mirrors in the bush!!

aaww thats the sweetest thing i've heard in quite a while --- about the old boy and the nurse

oh so bec - im the same!!!! i worry that i look silly and need to sit down 8)

watch the melbourne shuffler DVD heiheihei

I love when boys ask me to dance and usually they have absolutely no idea what they are doing .... but that isn't the point - the reason we dance is to have fun ---- and fun is impossible when you are self conscious

i love to dance ... i go raving quite a bit so i always get a chance to practice .... but towards the end of nearly every rave i always get really self conscious about the way i dance --- after i have let go all night!! on the weekend my ex deigned to tell me i looked like some chick that apparently does some crazy shit at the end of one of the blade movies .... much like a wiggling dying spider .... i was quite hurt cos im so sensitive about it ..... but considering he is definitely no moves man himself ..... well, who is he to judge

phase_dancer said:
Some time later he was spied in the shadows at the back of the crowd bopping away to hardcore trance. It was a moment to behold. Later again he was seen talking with a bunch of young ladies. Rejection was no-where to be seen :)

^how cute :) it's awesome to see people try something new to them and love it.

about the dancing, i agree with p_d, crank your stereo and just jump/groove around the house, something will click and feel 'right', then if you want check your moves out in the mirror and refine them. the main thing is to feel comfortable, just let it all flow =D

^^^ i love dancing around the house!!

ok - big secret - when i need to clean my house .... i pump the trance and house and dance around cleaning ---- great fun and great exercise!! heihei

That's the only way to clean the house!! Music makes you move...

Though my big secret is that I pump cheesy cd's from my hidden collection of "crap that I really should throw away but won't" and dance around singing along.

I hope I never have an unannounced visitor while I am doing that.

^hahaha
i do that, but to metal and sing (badly) at the top of my lungs, my neighbours must hate me, lol

^^^ i do this too ..... i just pray to god that my apartment is soundproof .... i also like singing and dancing in the shower ----- best way to unwind after a horrible day =D

Don't worry - when I am intoxicated I always end up doing some retarded hybrid between the robot and melbourne shuffle. I have no interest in learning the proper club dancing techniques... I have no interest in meeting anyone during some neo-primitive procreation ritual.

Or maybe I just can't dance. oh well.

^^^ aaawwwww dont be like that

I was just actually talking all about dancing with my friend at work.

We realised the funniest thing .... those who don't dance stand out more than those who do usually!!!!

dancing isn't about looking good and executing moves (although these are added bonuses) its all about enjoying the music and spreading the love :D

Just get drunk (or otherwise fucked up) and run around attempting to dance and weaving in and out of people and pissing the absolute fuck out of everyone (who isn't laughing). It works for me...