• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

LARGE doses of DXM and/or Gabapentin do not effect me.

Jazaazi

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, I just registered to this site with the entire purpose to ask these questions. I am very desperate for someone that might have some answers.

A little background first:
About 4 years ago, I took about 240mg of Dextromethorphan (Which I will call DXM from now on) to see what would happen. IIRC it was a good trip. After that, I got HEAVILY HEAVILY addicted to it. I was taking it every single day for a few months, increasing the dose some at various intervals. Eventually I was caught by someone that strongly disapproves of it, so I had to stop cold turkey. Still however, I managed to sneak in DXM at various times, and still was hooked on it for the next 3 years, and was taking it at least a few times a week. I was actually caught numerous times by various people, but kept finding ways to get it. After said 3 years, I was in a situation were getting would be totally impossible for the next several months. During those months, I developed SERIOUS mental problems including severe depression, anxiety, attempted suicide, and other similar problems. That however is best suited for another topic in another forum here, which I have created here. Please help me out there too if you can.

Now onto the current DXM situation:
I am back in a situation where I can pretty easily get DXM. I have gotten DXM, and tried a very large dose that most people would think is crazy (960mg), but it did basically nothing. My vision looked just a little odd for about an hour eventually, but otherwise literally nothing happened. How the hell is this possible? I know that DXM tolerance builds, but is it possible that I literally built my tolerance so high after so much hard abuse of it that it is impossible to take a dose large enough that it will actually cause the desired effects, but not large enough to kill me? From what I have researched, 960mg is basically already an unheard of large amount, even for strong DXM users. Even worse, despite the fact I know it does not seem to effect me, I still strongly crave it and waste money on it several days a week. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good replacement/alternative for DXM I could try that is sold OTC at stores?

Now the Gabapentin:
In short I was prescribed Gabapentin for some of my mental problems. It seems to do nothing to me even at the prescribed dose. For the hell of it, I tried taking an enormous dose only 1 week after starting the prescription. I took the dose (9000mg, 30 pills at 300mg each), then followed up with a lesser enormous dose about 30 minutes later (6000mg, 20 pills at 300mg each), then another pretty large dose 30 minutes after that (3000mg, 10 pills at 300mg each). The only thing that happened was my mood improved some. I was not remotely in a euphoric state, and no hallucinations or any other desired effects happened to me.

So to summarize my questions:
1 - Why does a 960mg dose of DXM not effect me, except for a very very slight vision impairment? Also does anyone have a suggestion for an OTC alternative?
2 - Why does a 18000mg dose of Gabapentin divided into 3 parts and taken over 1.5 hours not effect me when I was never even on it before?

Last edited:
It sounds like a fun drug but not worth the misery of repeatedly being caught and experiencing crippling depression on end. Sometimes drugs are just like that. I wish I had an answer for you.. but I suspect that the new DXM you're getting is too weak.

As for DXM alternatives--the not recommended alarming amount of adderall I've taken in the past 24 hours is okay. It kind of sucks at the same time though lol. Does this drug have powerful affects? (DXM) For you to repeatedly be caught is bizarre for me. I've repeatedly gotten away with opiod addiction but I hid it because my life literally depended on it. I don't even know why people would care that someone is on DXM. Jesus go smoke some weed and worry about your own lives people lol! Interfering with an addicts habits--no other way will anyone shut you out of your life so quickly teehee. Try to take some heroin away from a heroin addict because drugs are "morally wrong" and watch how that works out. Sorry getting off toic.

Gapanetin tolerance raises ridiculously quickly. It first came out as a miracle drug and everyone and their mom was getting gabapentin (for anxiety and pain relief). Turns out the substance just possesses diminishing returns too heavily (when the drug stops working after repeated use). I like gabapentin personally--but I'd never want to be prescribed it. Good luck!

As for DXM alternatives--the not recommended alarming amount of adderall I've taken in the past 24 hours is okay.
I have absolutely zero access to that, or any prescription medicine that is not related to depression basically. I can only access depression related prescription medicines or OTC ones sadly. Thank you for the suggestion, but do you know of one that I might actually be able to aquire?
Gapanetin tolerance raises ridiculously quickly. It first came out as a miracle drug and everyone and their mom was getting gabapentin (for anxiety and pain relief). Turns out the substance just possesses diminishing returns too heavily (when the drug stops working after repeated use). I like gabapentin personally--but I'd never want to be prescribed it. Good luck!
Yea, I read in many places that gaba tolerance raises very fast, but I was only on it for a week before trying the enormous mega dosing. Even with the fast tolerance build up rate of gaba after a week, that 18000mg dose should have really really messed me up and caused me to hallucinate wildly. That is why I am so confused.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I just registered to this site with the entire purpose to ask these questions. I am very desperate for someone that might have some answers.

About 4 years ago, I took about 240mg of Dextromethorphan (Which I will call DXM from now on) to see what would happen. IIRC it was a good trip. After that, I got HEAVILY HEAVILY addicted to it. I was taking it every single day for a few months, increasing the dose some at various intervals. Eventually I was caught by someone that strongly disapproves of it, so I had to stop cold turkey. Still however, I managed to sneak in DXM at various times, and still was hooked on it for the next 3 years, and was taking it at least a few times a week. I was actually caught numerous times by various people, but kept finding ways to get it. After said 3 years, I was in a situation were getting would be totally impossible for the next several months. During those months, I developed SERIOUS mental problems including severe depression, anxiety, and other similar problems. That however is best suited for another topic in another forum here, which I have created here. Please help me out there too if you can.

I am back in a situation where I can pretty easily get DXM. I have gotten DXM, and tried a very large dose (960mg), but it did basically nothing. My vision looked odd for about an hour eventually, but otherwise literally nothing happened. How the hell is this possible? I know that DXM tolerance builds, but is it possible that I literally built my tolerance so high after so much hard abuse of it that it is impossible to take a dose large enough that it will actually cause the desired effects, but not large enough to kill me? From what I have researched, 960mg is basically already an unheard of large amount, even for strong DXM users. Even worse, despite the fact I know it does not seem to effect me, I still strongly crave it and waste money on it several days a week. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good replacement/alternative for DXM I could try that is sold OTC at stores?

Now the Gabapentin:
In short I was prescribed Gabapentin for some of my mental problems. It seems to do nothing to me even at the prescribed dose. For the hell of it, I tried taking an enormous dose only 1 week after starting the prescription. I took the dose (9000mg, 30 pills at 300mg each), then followed up with a lesser enormous dose about 30 minutes later (6000mg, 20 pills at 300mg each), then another pretty large dose 30 minutes after that (3000mg, 10 pills at 300mg each). The only thing that happened was my mood improved some. I was not remotely in a euphoric state, and no hallucinations or any other desired effects happened to me.

1 - Why does a 960mg dose of DXM not effect me, except for a very very slight vision impairment? Also does anyone have a suggestion for an OTC alternative?
2 - Why does a 18000mg dose of Gabapentin divided into 3 parts and taken over 1.5 hours not effect me when I was never even on it before?
Dude, I posted on your other thread and I say this with all due respect and fucktons of kindness and care for you: You have to stop taking DXM, it cannot help you even though you crave it. Moreover, without some serious abstinent-time (from almost everything, save for prescriptions and maybe something like cannabis), your brain will have a very hard time healing. It needs this abstinent time, and though it is monumentally hard, you will have to get through it, as I did too.

Nothing OTC can replace the effects of DXM anyway, trust me (if something could it would still be bad). The only things that would work are stronger drugs like maybe ketamine, which are obviously not OTC, and would be a terrible idea for you to get into at the moment. When you heal from all this, later, if you still want to try, it might be a good idea. Not now, though. I know it's maybe not what you want to hear (I didn't want to either ;) ), but you deserve *honest* feedback and not coddling lies.

As for your questions:

2. Gabapentin sometimes doesn't effect people very strongly. Some really love it, but many don't (I'm one - it's mildly "ok" but nothing special at all, for me). It tends to be pretty damn subtle in the first place for recreational purposes, unless combined with other GABAergic substances. I've never hallucinated from it either, even from massive doses. It won't help you in the long term to try to abuse it, and you would be much better served by trying it therapeutically.

1. This happened in my case of DXM abuse aftereffects, too. It does go more back to a normal tolerance level with more normal effects after very, very, long absence. But I find that after overuse, it never goes back to how it originally was. You can never catch that dragon, so it doesn't help to try (from experience). Even when the effects are possible to feel at a stronger level again, there seems to be a lingering weird/dysphoric feeling when one uses it that is now permanently there every time. I've used 1000+mg doses back when I was addicted, and now I can only use it below 100mg, more like 30-60mg, for potentiating other drugs and helping tolerance to amphetamines/opiates/etc. And even that only rarely.

I don't know exactly why it's like this. No one probably really does. But my educated hypothesis would be that either some amount of damage occurs from DXM use that takes away the "magic" as with something like MDMA, or else one's brain changes and adapts with great intensity to the DXM high after chronic long-term abuse (especially in teenage years) in order to function, and starts to solidify in this adapted state. It tends to become nigh-permanent, if not actually so, because your brain needed to in order to be able to survive, and since these are very stable lingering adaptations, your brain never returns or heals fully to a pre-DXM state. This shouldn't be interpreted as meant to be scary, though, it doesn't mean you are hopelessly brain damaged or anything. With time, effort, nutrition, and maybe some pharmacological assistance, you will still get exponentially better and will be able to thrive in your life once again. You simply won't be able to get high on DXM anymore... Is that so bad? It IS what got you here already, no?

It's been almost 20 years since I started using DXM and I still can't feel effects even close to that first year of use, and even after years of abstinence. Apologies, but that ship has sailed for ones like us. :/

Last edited:

About 4 years ago, I took about 240mg of Dextromethorphan (Which I will call DXM from now on) to see what would happen. IIRC it was a good trip. After that, I got HEAVILY HEAVILY addicted to it. I was taking it every single day for a few months, increasing the dose some at various intervals. Eventually I was caught by someone that strongly disapproves of it, so I had to stop cold turkey. Still however, I managed to sneak in DXM at various times, and still was hooked on it for the next 3 years, and was taking it at least a few times a week. I was actually caught numerous times by various people, but kept finding ways to get it. After said 3 years, I was in a situation were getting would be totally impossible for the next several months. During those months, I developed SERIOUS mental problems including severe depression, anxiety, attempted suicide, and other similar problems. That however is best suited for another topic in another forum here, which I have created here. Please help me out there too if you can.

I am back in a situation where I can pretty easily get DXM. I have gotten DXM, and tried a very large dose that most people would think is crazy (960mg), but it did basically nothing. My vision looked just a little odd for about an hour eventually, but otherwise literally nothing happened. How the hell is this possible? I know that DXM tolerance builds, but is it possible that I literally built my tolerance so high after so much hard abuse of it that it is impossible to take a dose large enough that it will actually cause the desired effects, but not large enough to kill me? From what I have researched, 960mg is basically already an unheard of large amount, even for strong DXM users. Even worse, despite the fact I know it does not seem to effect me, I still strongly crave it and waste money on it several days a week. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good replacement/alternative for DXM I could try that is sold OTC at stores?

Now the Gabapentin:

Gabapentin isn't really going to get you all that "high" as far as recreational substances go, also your body is only able to absorb a certain amount of it at a time. So it's better to take doses of it separated by spans of 45mins-1hour. You can only get so "mildly relaxed".

Also, it's just generally not a good idea to take alllll that amount of gabapentin in that span of time.

It's not quite the same as dxm, but after having built a pretty big dissociative tolerance myself, it generally takes me a higher dose to get where I want to go.

I have absolutely zero access to that, or any prescription medicine that is not related to depression basically. I can only access depression related prescription medicines or OTC ones sadly. Thank you for the suggestion, but do you know of one that I might actually be able to aquire?

Yea, I read in many places that gaba tolerance raises very fast, but I was only on it for a week before trying the enormous mega dosing. Even with the fast tolerance build up rate of gaba after a week, that 18000mg dose should have really really messed me up and caused me to hallucinate wildly. That is why I am so confused.

Adderall is quite easy to obtain. It's not harmless but as far as drugs go it's not anything compared to the higher tier ones that most people ruin their lives over. Not the best suggestion I've ever given but I suppose legal stims could replace DXM somewhat. I've never tried DXM but it sounds like a fun time if you're struggling existing without it i'm sure lol. What about the effects make it so enticing for you? I find it ironic that you have access to anti-depressants and such but you're still struggling to cope without DXM. To me it sounds like the hellish cycle of most addictions--depressed with and without them and there's never any in between.

Gabapentin is actually really fun and the effects are so unique and strange so I can't tell you why. It is definitely true that tolerance to it raises so insanely fast that having a script for it inevitably ends up being a bad time for a lot of folks (accompanied by a mystical benzo-like withdrawal that BL'ers seem to be in denial about). The withdrawal doesn't always occur in every patient but some people complain about it like it's heroin sickness or benzo cessation.

To answer your gabapentin question. Gabapentin has a really low bioavailability, anything over 600mg at once is pretty much a waste of time. You literally wasted all those capsules. In order to get anything out of gabapentin you need to dose 300mg every 45mins until you’re feeling you’re at a good place. Less is more with gabapentin.

To answer your gabapentin question. Gabapentin has a really low bioavailability, anything over 600mg at once is pretty much a waste of time. You literally wasted all those capsules. In order to get anything out of gabapentin you need to dose 300mg every 45mins until you’re feeling you’re at a good place. Less is more with gabapentin.

Lol! OP how dare you waste those capsules they will never get the justice they deserved! #gabapentinarepeopletoo

I admit gabapentin is fucking weird when it comes to the effects and manner of using it recreationally. No other drug is so bizarre in the ritual required to take it to get high.

Lol! OP how dare you waste those capsules they will never get the justice they deserved! #gabapentinarepeopletoo

I admit gabapentin is fucking weird when it comes to the effects and manner of using it recreationally. No other drug is so bizarre in the ritual required to take it to get high.
Well the transport mechanism for gabapentin becomes totally saturated at higher doses so it’s literally a waste to take more than 300mg really. 300mg - 65% absorption, 600mg - 40% and 1600mg - 35% or thereabouts.

It is a weird feeling, that gaba high. It honestly made me super motivated and a little tipsy maybe? I dunno, it just made me feel good. It however caused me to gain soooo much weight that it wasn’t worth it.

edit to add: you’re so right! Gabapentin are people too damnit! 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Well the transport mechanism for gabapentin becomes totally saturated at higher doses so it’s literally a waste to take more than 300mg really. 300mg - 65% absorption, 600mg - 40% and 1600mg - 35% or thereabouts.

It is a weird feeling, that gaba high. It honestly made me super motivated and a little tipsy maybe? I dunno, it just made me feel good. It however caused me to gain soooo much weight that it wasn’t worth it.

edit to add: you’re so right! Gabapentin are people too damnit! 😂😂😂

Nobody every mentions it--but anything benzo or benzo-like--even gabapentinoids--make me eat so much it's unbelievable. Food suddenly tastes incredible and I have no idea why or if other people find that to happen? lol

Gabapentin is a fun time as it allows you to live anxiety free without the sedation and dysfunction of xanax. Xanax makes me turn from professional adult into slurred speech retard in an hour. I think that gabapentin helps relieve my slight anxiety but the fear of withdrawing from obtaining a script for it makes me cringe. Other drugs it is!

Hey Jazaazi! I hate to say it, but I think it is unlikely you will get the answer you're looking for here, but that doesn't mean we cant try.

Some of this stuff is rare and/or unstudied. Some people are immune to Opiates completely. Some people experience disproportionately severe hangovers from Alcohol use (although this, we do know a little bit more about, but that's not relevant here.

The point is, issues like what you are describing are rare. Addiction is also not a particularly studied phenomenon compared to say, cancer. All of this is kind of working against you finding your answer.

At any rate, I'm going to move this over to pharmacology in the hope that their superior brain power can help you!

@Jazaazi, I answer after Keif' Richards. I don't get alcohol hangovers and I also don't get anything out of gabapentin or DXM. I got something from gabapentin when I had it in detox from benzodiazepines, but it was mostly placebo even though the doses were moderately high. With opiates, I have a high natural tolerance to those as well. I can actually get something from them, but it takes a lot and by then I'm worried I took too much

I don't think there's an answer either. I guess it boils down to genetics. Maybe at some point scientists will have our answer but for now I'll just sit and read threads about codeine out of interest since it's another drug that doesn't work for me

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good replacement/alternative for DXM I could try that is sold OTC at stores?
Just to be absolutely clear: there are no such drugs, period.

Why does a 18000mg dose of Gabapentin divided into 3 parts and taken over 1.5 hours not effect me when I was never even on it before?
DXM blocks the N-methyl-D-aspartate sensitive, glutamate-activated nonselective cation channel that allows Na+ and Ca2+ to enter a neuron, contributing to depolarization (firing). Gabapentin inhibits CACNA2D1, usually known as alpha-2-delta, which allows calcium ions to enter a neuron, contributing to depolarization.

It appears that your neuronal physiology has adapted to conditions of lower calcium flux. It is therefore likely that other drugs which work by inhibiting excitatory ion channels will also have diminished effects. One possible reason for this could be that your brain reacts to intoxication by releasing excitatory neurotransmitters. Alternatively, your neurons have developed additional vesicles that store calcium. Alternatively, [something else].

Ultimately you must accept being sober sometimes. It sucks, but it sucks equally for everybody, which is "fair".

The same thing happened to me with DXM. I used 1200 mg daily, sometimes twice a day, for months. All told I used DXM for about 20 years. At the end I could take the 1200 and be fully functional to the point that nobody could tell I was on it. There was no point to taking it anymore. I ended up being forced to take a 5 year break and when I tried it after that I did 900mg and it got me high as hell. However it wasn't fun anymore. It was just the same old shit that I've done countless times. I tried again a few months later and just hated it. I trip now but it's no longer pleasant. It just feels so...old to me. There's nothing exciting about it anymore. I doubt I'll ever use it again. As for alternatives I haven't found anything like DXM. Traditional psychadelics are not the same but you can experience some of the same effects such as ego death with them.

The same thing happen to me with Nitrous Oxide, after 5 years of abusing it daily or atleast a few times week i then had a 3 or 4 year break from it.

Figured when I went back to it years later my tollerence would be gone alas it has not. I also think its fucked with the way my body produces and stores b-12. I can have 10 nangs one night and the next day I wake up with sores on the side of my mouth which is a sign of severe b-12 deficiency.

I know it's not DXM but they are both NMDA antagonists.

The same thing happen to me with Nitrous Oxide, after 5 years of abusing it daily or atleast a few times week i then had a 3 or 4 year break from it.

Figured when I went back to it years later my tollerence would be gone alas it has not.

If you use a lot of alcohol there's a cross tolerance with N2O.

I once was in a detox facility and they gave me gabapentin for benzodiazepine withdrawal. It did something but it was mostly a placebo effect. It's nothing like pregabalin, which actually does work for me. Gabapentin was similar to taking the supplement GABA

I tried dextromethorphan a few times and it never did anything for me either. It didn't even help me get to sleep, which is why I tried it. My sinuses got dried out and it just felt gross. I'm not sure what it's meant for but there are a lot of drugs like that in my experience. They're not interesting to me