Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Ketamine

babysnakes

Bluelighter
I'm quite new to Australia. Just came over from the UK, where Ketamine is plentiful, dirt cheap, and easy to get hold of. From speaking to people at work, out and about in town and stuff, it seems that it is still a very underground drug here. In fact, hardly anyone has heard of it (even the regular drug users).

Whats the deal with it here? Whats the law regarding it? Wheres it imported from (India? Cambodia)? Trying to be careful with my language here

I'm also interested in drug trends (whats popular in certian areas and why etc). Any info would be class

Last edited:
It's around, and I would say if anything it's growing in popularity - but it's nothing like the UK (as you well know).

As for the law it's illegal - not sure how it's classed in the scheme though. Ditto nfi where it would actually come from.

The UK in general has a greater scope of drugs regularly used by people. Whereas in the UK Coke and K are plentiful and cheap - here they are either too expensive (Coke) or just not as common (K).

Aus drug culture, esp in the 'standard' out-and-about partying sense, still revolves around Ecstacy. Varies types of amphetamine and methamphetamine make up the bulk of the rest.

In certain cities I've found certain things easier to get (i.e. Acid in Adelaide), but I'd hazard a guess that's just my contacts and not strictly related to the city itself.

K was rescheduled and made Schedule 8 back in 2005. Prior to that it was simply Schedule 4 and was much easier to come across than it is now.

Generally speaking, K is not imported, rather, it is diverted from its legitimate use in the veterinary profession.

Check out the link below for a little bit more information.

Ketamine to go S8

Like anything it's all about who you know when it comes to drug supply. Sadly, K availability is one that has declined significantly in the past few years.

Try and keep this one within the guidelines guys. :)

K is probably the easiest powder i can obtain, when talking about speed, meth or coke. I never buy stims, but ive never had trouble getting K in the last 3-4 years. Recently vials have been around too, and in decent quantities according to the guy who had them.

Cooked one up a month or so ago and had alot of fun.

Im in Melbourne by the way.

I read somewhere that it is becoming more and more popular in the Sydney clubbing scene. Its a wonder why it isn't imported to a significant degree as the Australian authorities, from all the arrest reports I've read, do not seem to be targeting it.

Oh, went back home to see friends and family last month. Got stopped at customs at Brisbane airport on the way back. Scanned and searched everything, got everything but a finger up the bum. You guys have some tough tough immigration officials here!!!

I remember going back a few years, maybe '00 - 03', it was really easy to come by and had a pretty strong persence in the rave scene. (Melbourne)

But year, don't hear much about it now. But people more into speed/ice these days. Its still around enough that it's not that hard to get, but in different scenes now.

No one knows if it isn't imported or not, its like trying to determine where our pills/coke comes from. Sure, ketamine is used legally and can be obtained that way, but im sure there are organised groups obtaining it in large quantities through other methods other than robbing vets or knowing shady veterinarians.

There was a 10kg bust in the Western Suburbs of Melbourne a few months ago from memory, so people are obviously trying to import it and i imagine 1/10 is successful, if not more.

Pair in horse drugs probe
February 19, 2007 - news.com.au

A MAN and a woman from Melbourne are under investigation over a major seizure of a dangerous animal tranquilliser used by nightclubbers.

The pair were questioned after 10kg of the horse anaesthetic ketamine were seized from a house at Sunshine, in Melbourne's west, on Saturday.

It is believed to be Australia's biggest haul of the drug, which goes by the nickname Special K.

The ketamine would have had an estimated street value of between $1 million and $2.5 millon.

The investigation began on Wednesday when Australian Customs Service officers became suspicious of a package that had arrived at Melbourne airport's cargo section from the African country of Malawi.

They X-rayed the package, which contained two large ornamental timber panels, and allegedly found the ketamine.

Investigators then substituted the drugs for another substance and put it under surveillance as it was delivered to the Sunshine address. They then moved in and arrested three people before searching the property.

A man and a woman were later released without charge and a third person, who is an illegal immigrant, was handed over to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and is being detained.

Investigators are trying to establish whether those arrested are the principal players in the importation or were just receiving it.

Ketamine is frequently used in the manufacture of ecstasy.

It is often taken by itself by users in the nightclub scene and overdoses have been recorded.

Drug counsellor Richard Smith of the Raymond Hader Clinic said ketamine was commonly used by people "coming down" from the methamphetamine "ice".

"It's called the K-hole. It's a near unconscious state. They're conscious but they can't do anything," he said.

Mr Smith said he had also heard of instances of ketamine being used as a date-rape drug.

The maximum penalty for the illegal importation of ketamine is a fine of $110,000.

ACS investigations manager Richard Janeczko said authorities were determined to detect and prevent illegal shipments of the drug bound for Australia.

I wont touch it unless its the S isomer now.
Fuck racemic dried vials.

What you mean by racemic dried vials. I had a fully unopened vet vial that i had to use a syringe to inject the liquid onto a plate so i could powder it.

Ketamine is racemic, as in both R and S isomers. S is purely ecstastic and psychedelic and recreational while R is more the fucked up effect and total memory loss and just feeling dead. racemic = 50/50 of R and S.

I'd never use ketamine vials again after using S isomer its just so clean.
ie. it has to be synthed. not commercially available

Ive never had total memory loss or felt "dead". I dunno what your getting at. K for me is always fucking awesome and psychedelic. If it was like you described, then i obviously wouldn't do it.

You're missing the point. Like MDA there are two different isomers of Ketamine, both have different effects (Like one MDA is smacky for hours, some visuals, while the other has a more speedy feel to it and is very stimulating after the initial smack out and causes lots more colour changing, wall melting type visuals etc.). Dried vials have 50% S isomer, Im just saying I prefer the beautiful experience of S-isomer Ketamine. Things like MDMA though however are always going to be racemic (50/50 R and S) no matter what route of synthesis I believe?

Things like MDMA though however are always going to be racemic (50/50 R and S) no matter what route of synthesis I believe?

No, there are stereospecific routes, they're just not used very often. The racemic mixture can also be separated using chromatography, and resolution should be possible using tartaric acid.

Immortal Teknique said:
Im in Melbourne by the way.

K is pretty uncommon here, ive only ever had medical vials once and it was very, very different to the K in pills these days, its sad that most people think K is uninteresting because of all the speed/k pills.

[EDIT: Availability. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
I sort of figured seperation would be possible, but figured most MDMA is racemic, and doing otherwise would be time consuming for a criminal who wants to sell ecstasy.

Wouldnt mind trying a pure version of each isomer.

the_ketaman said:
Honestly, what drugs arent common in Melbourne? it seems that everything is available there. You lucky banana's :p

K is pretty uncommon here, ive only ever had medical vials once and it was very, very different to the K in pills these days, its sad that most people think K is uninteresting because of all the speed/k pills.

Yeah K in pills feels different too me. I dunno why.

K up the nose though when its pure is great =D

K + Acid is even better :D

I agree with the comments that it was free and easy several years ago. It wasn't very common in that not many people knew what it was, so it was very, very, very, very cheap to get huge quantities, I knew guys who would have a bake off at least once a week and just pass the stuff around to anyone who wanted some in the club, as it was so cheap.

I also know more than a few people who got caught thinking they were taking a bump of coke. Boy where they surprised.

In UK you get 'bottles' which are basically 500ml water bottles full of liquid K, which I believe are sourced from gipsy ladies in and around Goa (I was there earlier in the year :D ). You then dry this out using whatever method you prefer (add flavoring if you like), and you get about 35 grams! No price discussion, but it works out laughably cheap!