• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is Oral morphine really that weak ?

Just to confirm, A person who has never had morphine definately gets high on 20-30mg...That was my mums first dose or first script, I think it might be a common starting dose...200mg as pointed out could/would kill someone with no tolerance ...Dont hand any of them around if i were you, Them there are deadly pills you can get....Do be careful...:(

So if morphines bioavaiabilty oral is about 30% and i take 100mg, does that acctually mean I am getting only 30mg of oral morphine??

No. If you eat 100mg of morphine it means that you are getting 100mg of oral morphine. Once it is absorbed and metabolized then you end up getting about 30mg of morphine due to the oral BA. If an opiate conversion chart says that 10mg of oral oxycodone = 20mg of oral morphine then the oral doses listed are the initial doses of the pill taken since the BA is already factored in. It doesn't mean that you would have to eat 66.7 mg of morphine (30% of 66.7 = 20) to equal the 10mg of oxycodone. I'm not sure if you just worded your post wrong, but I wanted to make sure that you don't go and take 70% more morphine thinking that it will equal out to the oral dose equivalencies on opiate conversion charts. If you are using a different ROA then you have to factor in the BA, or if the chart compares IV doses then you have to use BA% to figure out equivalent oral doses.

Just to confirm, A person who has never had morphine definately gets high on 20-30mg...That was my mums first dose or first script, I think it might be a common starting dose...200mg as pointed out could/would kill someone with no tolerance ...Dont hand any of them around if i were you, Them there are deadly pills you can get....Do be careful...:(

Even with a low tolerance you can get high off of that 20-30mg dose. When I was in the hospital they gave me 5mg IVd first and then 3mg later, and those doses equate to about the same oral doses as your mum, so it probably is the common starting dose. The 200mg pills that the OP is talking about can be very dangerous if they are in the wrong hands. Eating one of those pills is like eating 100mg of oxycodone so it's only for the people with very high tolerances.

If you get "very high" off 20mg oxy, then I'm guessing you won't notice morphine's terrible oral BA, and should dose a bit lower since it's your first time and all.

This...i can feel very buzzed off of 20-30 mg of oxy.....30 mg of morphine would literally do nothing (especially with all the new formulations)......i would need at least 90 mg of oral.....HOWEVER, everyone is different i am not suggesting anybody taking 90 mg's of morphine.

Morphine isn't weak orally. It just has a low oral BA. In the right doses however, no other opioid has proven itself to be superior to morphine for pain relief. That's just a fact.

The OP is fairly unclued about these drugs and hes got 200mg tabs!!!!I just hope he dosent kill someone with them....It such a dangerous think and hes got no clue...I am glad you came here to do some reasearch dude! ANd im not putting shit on you personally its just what Dr would do this?....200mg tabs are for people that are on the verge of death as far as im concerned!..If you do take any advice whatsoever friend, just dont go giving them to anyone else or you could be charged with there death...If you really are not sure about them check out this link mate...

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/forums/89-Bluelight-Shrine

Saddest place you will ever go...Please before you fuck with these monsters, learn learn and learn some more, cause ,i cant say it enough, THESE WILL KILL YOU!

I am NOT salivating at all by the way!!!!

Last edited:
Morphine isn't weak orally. It just has a low oral BA. In the right doses however, no other opioid has proven itself to be superior to morphine for pain relief. That's just a fact.

Thank you! I see way too many posts saying that a drug is weak just because it has a low oral BA. Fentanyl has about the same oral BA as morphine, and that is certainly not weak. Oxymorphone has an even lower oral BA than morphine, it is potent. All that it means is that you have to take a higher oral dose of the drug compared to the dosage needed to feel the same effects with other ROAs that have a higher BA.

Also, people compare strength to how high they get, when the strength is really determined by analgesic effects. They don't necessarily go hand in hand since euphoria is subjective, and with a drug that a person does not find that recreational/euphoric it can result in the person taking dangerous doses to achieve the desired euphoria from the drug, yet the desired analgesic effects can be achieved at much lower doses. This can also work the other way in which case a person can take a drug they find to be very euphoric so they will achieve the desired euphoric effects before feeling sufficient analgesic effects.

I get high off of oxycodone before reaching the dose I need to get proper pain relief, whereas I can take morphine and have adequate pain relief before reaching the doses I get high off of.

Last edited:
There are plenty of conversion charts, and just to be safe, always take a cautious dose on your first time trying a new drug.

I haven't had morphine orally, but completely tolerance-naïve 10mg IV did absolutely nothing for me.

So ive been reading about morphine alot lately because i can get the 200mg tabs. Why are so many people saying its so weak? I saw on conversion charts that 20-30mg morphine is like about 10mg oxycodone. So if a person who takes about 20mg oxy to get very high, would 50 mg oral morphine be a good starting dose.

According to people here even a non tolerant person to opiates needs at least 40-50mg oral morphine for a first time rec dose, is this true?

It's true!I've been on 30mg.'s 3x's a day and unless you're clean,the first time you get a nice high which doesn't last long.So I got a script for 10mg.'s Lortab b/c I just couldn't take morphine anymore-there's no high at all-you can't abuse it! And forget it for pain relief.

yea, morphine not doing ANYTHING for pain relief? that must be some sort of disorder/killer tolerance (but then again, that high of a tolerance would preclude the use of hydrocodone).

for all you nieve people out there, just because "morphine has a shitty oral BA of 30%" does NOT MEAN it is weak, an opiate nieve person can OD quick on oral morphine pills (MSCONTIN).....i been using opiates for 12yrs, i can handle 100mg of methadone and nod, but not be too high, thats where my tolerance is at..when im in WD 240mg morhpine gets me out of WD and catches a nice buzz

i take 500-700 mg of oral morphine a day,i get it as maintainance drug in an addiction center.
2 200 mg pills and 1 100 mg extendet release.but i have a good tolerance,for a slightly tolerant i would reccomend 100 mg oral morphine to get a really good high and for opiate naive person 60 mg is enough to nod out

Chronic oral morphine is more potent than a single dose.

Actually, w/ chronic administration, 30mg Morphine PO= 20mg oral oxycodone(range 20-40mg morphine) or 10-15mg IV Oxycodone;(still just ~10mg IV morphine, though, although

With acute administration, it would take twice as much

It is also dose dependent, it can reach 50% I think, though it typically is 15-30%.

Although, oxycodone only averages ~50%BA , so go figure

BTW, oral diamorphine can actually reach a whopping 70% bioavailability of morphine, though with "larger doses) and repeat administration

Last edited:
Many years ago my pain doc had me try MS Contin, I don't remember the dose but it definitely wasn't low based on the level of the other drugs I'd been on, and it did very little for me. At the time I would have been comparing it to oxycontin and opana. So far my preference is for the opana. I take the ER version and basically keep a steady level of the medicine in me round the clock. Just my two cents guys.

I think that for actual pain relief there is nothing like morphine. Thank God for the numbing action it has.
I am writhing in pain, sweating, begging for death without the morphine. I'm really injured though.

I did try the "plugging" once and it was pretty amazing but only lasted for maybe four or five hours in comparison to 12 hours when taken orally and it did not help much more for actual pain. However, it did give me "the nods" and I felt great on half the amount I regularly use.