• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Is it possible to experience heroin withdrawal despite being on suboxone maintenance?

I just want to clarify, when you're talking about 60-80mg of methadone being the equivalent to the ceiling dose of Buprenorphine, you're talking about an acute dose of methadone right? Because someone who takes 60-80mg of methadone everyday has much more than that dose in their system, and I can't imagine even the highest dose of Buprenorphine being able to maintain someone switching from 80mg of methadone/day.
Thats a good point. Yes I am talking about an acute dose of methadone. When discussing equivalent bupe doses we must always consider how the ceiling effect plays into the issue of dosages stacking from opiates with a long half life. Methadone and most other full agonist opiates do not have a ceiling dose or they are relatively high compared to bupe. What I think is really important to remember is suboxone will only hold a person who's tolerance is less then or about equal to the ceiling dose during the first 2-10 days of induction. Calculating dosage equivalencies becomes complicated when working with bupe and especially methadone.

I too did NOT feel the full intensity of my (IV'd) heroin while on methadone - it was almost always anti-climactic, and I was shooting good dope: Vancouver late 90s China White. If I wasn't so opiate-fixated at the time I would have spent my money on some crystal, but I suppose the methadone was shutting down the old u-opioid receptors, and my opiate loving brain still wanted to feel that warmth. I really came to despise methadone over those 15 years and finally managed to get off it 18 months ago - when that fog finally cleared I felt like I had been released from an institution. We need to move away from this antagonist form of "therapy"; it seems such a primitive way of dealing with opiate dependence - and I'm not even talking about the abject humiliation of "Daily Witnessed ingestion", urine tests, the stigma and the "privilege" of a "weekly carry"

RE: Sub vs Methadone, aren't both agonist/antagonists? Suboxone is Buprenorphine and Naloxone.