• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Insomnia and doctors

Well.. I don't have any trouble sleeping - but have serious panic and anxiety disorders... and it took me through a plethora of medications and wrongful diagnosis of other illnesses before any doctor figured out what was going on - or more so till i began having panic attacks.

Now i get benzos pretty easily.

Temazepam sucks - go for stilnox.. someone earlier mentioned zopiclone, i took 7.5mg of that once - copped major visuals and the crappy metalic taste... then passed out

Side effects

Common side effects of using amitriptyline are extreme weight gain, drowsiness, nervousness, dizziness, and insomnia.

Some rare side effects include tinnitus, hypotension, mania, psychosis, anticholinergic effects, heart block, arrhythmias, extrapyramidal symptoms, depression, and hepatic toxicity.

There you go. It keeps you awake instead of putting you to sleep...right? ;)

Persistence my friend.

lil angel15 said:
Keep it away from doctor shopping tips guys. :)

heh sorry, it's just so tempting :)

5mg of amitrip was taken last night about 5hrs before bed. i had a noticeable drop in anxiety, getting to sleep still was quite hard. I only got like 7hrs but instead of the usual tired/grogginess im actually feeling quite refreshed 8o

Impressed with amitrip so far...

Splatt said:
Pharmecuticals Benefits Scheme.. yes Australian.

You can apply for it with unemployment, or low income and stuff like that.

Basically makes a medication cost no more than a macdonalnds hamburger even if full price cost is more like a 5 star buffet,

(avoiding price rules here)

To OP: When I started taking sleeping pills / Benzo's (Early 30's) they left me with a hangover until after lunch the next day. When I was in college, they left me hung over until 3:00 P.M. the next day. It took weeks of use to lose the hangover. Keep that in mind regarding exams. For me, I would rather get NO sleep and take a test rather than sleep 8 hours and have a pill hang over.

[EDIT: Check your PM's. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
Splatt said:
Yeah thats a TCA (trycyclic anti depressant).. They'll tell you to have it nightly but I find it fuck ruins your next day. It does provide a knock out in the anti histamine fashion but its got side effects and the mouth dryness is horrible. Its a drug more so prescriubed in less humid and hot places because of the side effects. He probably gets paid to prescribe you that. Go in in a few days and say you cant handle the non focus issues and its the end of uni and its making you not wake up and gives you horrible dehydration. you'll probably get Temazepam.. a short lasting weak benzo, basically what you need. Not an anti depressant like that, I thought they would of at least gave you doxepin if theyre giving you TCA's.

He probably got payed to prescribe that? one of the main reasons why TCAs are still used clinically is because of their cheap price. They are virtually free. The side effect profile is low in small doses (ie 5mg). It should also be noted that TCAs are still the first line treatment for depression, it is just that SSRIs are more popular and better tolerated in the young. There is still little evidence to show that SSRIs cause a significant difference in outcome. TCAs are not shitty old drugs, they may be old but they are VERY useful, and in low doses they should not cause insomnia, so no your doctor did good. Benzos are addictive and one forms a tolerance very easily. Zopiclone could be used?

I don't know iot seems each time I get prescribed something, they've got a office full of a certain brand like Roche, Pfizer, Sanofi.. etc. whatever... and when you get to the chemists.. surprise.. the drug you got was printed all over their opffice in pens, note books, medical gear, sun glasses, you name it. Sif half of them don't take the money from pharm companies to prescribe one drug over another.