Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Insomnia and doctors

JimiHawK*

Bluelighter
I was going to post this in healthy living - but thought this was a better place for more relevant advice as im in NZ

I'm 17 and my final exams are coming up very soon (4weeks). Since about two weeks ago i started getting insomnia where i would just lie in bed for like 2hrs before falling asleep.

When i wake up i still feel tired and my concentration+school work is greatly affected.

This really isn't the right time for this so i booked an appointment with my doctor on thursday.

Ideally, i would want to be rx'd benzos. What im afraid of is that the doc would refuse to rx me any drugs at all and recommend therapies/etc which i dont have the time nor effort to do.

My old doc retired so i don't have any experience with this doc at all. What are the chances that i would get something useful (ie benzos) And is there anything i can do to maximise these chances?

It'll only be for like a month or two, then i won't give a shit about any WD or rebound insomnia because it will be holidays!!

Last edited:
I'm not allowed to tell you how to get Valium as its agaionst the guidelines I think, and wouldn't make this forum look good in the eyes of the professionals that read this forum of informing you how to doctor shop.

But all you need to say is you have exams coming up, extreme stress and cannot sleep. You are going to Uni as a zombie wqith no sleep because of all the stress off assignments and exams etc. because this is true.. don't lie about it, dont think you're doc shopping because you aren't.

You may get Stilnox 7 or 10 tablets, which aren't covered by PBS, but they do have Stildem and Dormizol from Sanofi which by law have to be 10% - or + the 10mg dosage. Its doubtful you will get 20 tablets. Although there are new Stilnox CR 12.5mg. I dont recommend them if you don't want to wake up drowsy.

Play with doses. the doctor may only want you to take half of 10mg. try that, if that doesnt nod you off (make surew your stomach is pretty empty and u have it just before bed.. a tv show playing on your pc helps u nod off on stilnox i find, but lying there trapped in thought brings on visuals and weird stuff and makes it hard to knock out. 10mg is the standard dose though. Theyre not to be used every night, only when needed. And they do build tolerance, you'll end up needing 15mg or 20mg etc, or more if you use them long term.

Its more likely though you will get Temazepam. which I think is pretty useless. I don't want to spoil a possible good medication for you but it's very weak, the weakest benzo you can get. 10mg won't do shit, The label usually says take 1-2. Temaz and other brands are cheap and PBS/healthcare card, and you get a bottle of 25 x 10mg tablets. If one or two tablets dont do the job, especially since you'd be under a lot of pressure, taking a few more won't be that bad, just use them as needed. Most people who are naturally or chemically tolerant to benzos will need 100mg of temazepam for any effect.

But 100mg will make a normal person forget what tyhey did and pass out for about 4-6 hours and wake up wondering what all the mess was about and forget the last hour before u crashed out.

For some people, Dramamine works (or Restavit or Unisom) which are OTC, or S3 at best. meaning you just ask a pharmaciost for it and they print a label. They are all either diphenhydramine or dimenhydramine, one is twice as potent as the other (dramamine being the weakest). These may help you sleep but make u not want to wake up, and sometimes for some people don't even let you sleep, just create weird visuals or sleep paralysis.

Theres Dozile (doxylamine) which is also OTC but also requires a pharmacist to ask you questions and label it. No big deal. Its just some people use them for abuse. As they have similar effects to Datura-like delerium. These have a shorter half life and dont make you feel as tired and hungover in the morning. But some people have bad sleep paralysis. My girlfriend had sever nightmares and sleep paralysis and weirdness on it and so did I. thinking I was on train tracks, busy roads, and not being able to move and generally waking up with a heart attack feeling and sweat! But my friend loves them.

If the doctor is unwilling to prescribe anything, try ask for Doxepin. Say your old doctor gave it to you (spin any name), its unabuseable, and one oir two capsules before bed will knock you out, just make sure you have water nearby as it gives HORRIBLE dry moutrh, and also causes opiate-like turds.

If they are still unwilling, act anxious and generally dissapointed. Say SSRI's are na no go because you dont have time to get into a sleep pattern, you have bad insomnia, say Valerian and shopping mall and chemist herbal remdidies did not do a thing.

Most of the drugs above, you will wake up with dry mouth, and drinking with them isn't a good idea if you're taking them medicinally.

Thanks for the detailed reply Splatt. :)

JimiHawK* - Bluelight isn't here to help you score drugs through circumventing the RX procedures of your doctor. Splatt has given you a brief overview of what is out there and has also made a good suggestion in regards to what you should tell your doctor - The TRUTH.

I'll keep this thread open as others may have some suggestions in regards to overcoming your insomnia problem, however, if any Dr shopping advice is given, the thread will be closed.

As you can see in my reply, the after effects of stilnox CR didn't really help my typing skills, so driving on them at 6-7am in the morning just after waking up can be dangerous.

Thanks splatt :)

I assume stilnox (zolpidem) is similar to zopiclone? because i've taken 15mg of zopiclone before to no effect (except for a crappy metallic taste)

If nothing useful comes out of the appointment on thursday, i'll probably resort to diphenhydramine/benadryl , although i do despise syrup D:

you dont need to use syrup you can buy tablets, dramamine being the weakest, then restavit and unisom. and doxylamine is a capsule too.

theyre kind of related but i haven't tried zopiclone.

stilnox will knock you out guaranteed, just dont have a full stomach.. i know its unhealthy but i usually take it an hour before bed, eat dinner and pass out watching family guy to get my sleep on using stilnox.

Last edited:
Splatt said:
Do you have any history of Epilepsy?

Nope.

I DO however have anxiety. You should've seen me when i was making the phone call for the appointment - my heart beat could've been heard in the next room! :\

Also, i go through periods of depression (feeling as though theres not really a point in anything, etc)

But i think i'll leave all these issues later till when i can't really manage them and i can be bothered doing something about it. Right now its just that goddam insomnia :|

just tell your doctor your situation and ask for something to help you sleep.

it's not that big of a deal. you're not trying to score oxy or dex (schedule8 drugs)

he should give you temaze or stilnox at least (and stilnox is now PBS btw Splatt).

temaze is what is given in hospitals to help patients sleep, it's the main insomnia medication although short term.

just tell him your story and if he doesnt give you what you want (need) then go to another doctor, no big deal. I've done it. Plenty of medical centres around here, just dress nice and keep your mannerisms so you don't come across as a drug seeker. Just keep trying persistance is the key and it's free anyway so just keep trying, once you get a doctor who is understanding then stick with him/her

since when has stilnox become PBS, all i knew is that there are non0-brand versions costs about half the price. Have you got a link because lately ive been paying the nonPBS price and when i hand my healthcare card over they always say "this one isnt PBS you know that right?"

I could of sworn it was on there..

I just checked the pbs schedule and it's not there, my mistake, sorry.

I must of got confused with ritalin or something.. damn

oh well stilnox is crap anyway :p

you can download the pbs schedule in pdf format from the pbs site just so you know.

pbs, is this australian? because im in NZ and i've never heard anything about it beforeO_O

i didnt sleep for a week and told the doctor and he gave me temazepam. put me rrrrrrrright to sleep. perfect for insomnia!

also kinda cool for recreational use as well.

Pharmecuticals Benefits Scheme.. yes Australian.

You can apply for it with unemployment, or low income and stuff like that.

Basically makes a medication cost no more than a macdonalnds hamburger even if full price cost is more like a 5 star buffet,

(avoiding price rules here)

If you are truly looking for a good night's sleep rather than benzo's for recreational use, I would suggest trying some over-the-counter antihistamine/sleep aids which I find to be very effective. In particular, I suggest dimenhydrinate (dramamine). You could also try doxylamine succinate (restavit), but I find this takes far too long to wear off although it knocks my fuckin socks off every time I use it.

I dont find them very good for sleeping.. Bad hangover and sleep paralysis. Super dry mouth. But after a while benzos don't help you sleep anyway, you need more and more to knock out, and then you're addicted..

He gave me a months script of Amitriptyline (5mg a night)

hmm, im in two minds tbh @_@

glad i got something, disappointed it's a crusty old antidepressant.

We'll see though...

Yeah thats a TCA (trycyclic anti depressant).. They'll tell you to have it nightly but I find it fuck ruins your next day. It does provide a knock out in the anti histamine fashion but its got side effects and the mouth dryness is horrible. Its a drug more so prescriubed in less humid and hot places because of the side effects. He probably gets paid to prescribe you that. Go in in a few days and say you cant handle the non focus issues and its the end of uni and its making you not wake up and gives you horrible dehydration. you'll probably get Temazepam.. a short lasting weak benzo, basically what you need. Not an anti depressant like that, I thought they would of at least gave you doxepin if theyre giving you TCA's.

so benzos dont have lingering next-day effects?

should i approach him like "ive been reading about insomnia and anxiety on the internet and discovered these things called benzodiazepines"?

He seems to be quite keen on writing scripts tho...before i even finished with the symptoms he says "Yeah ill give you something". also said "if your mother was here we could discuss this. you might need some more grunty stuff" Although i think he meant SSRIs