• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Inquiry into Amphetamines and Other Synthetic Drugs (AOSD)

johnboy

Bluelight Crew
Recently the Parliamentary Joint Committee on the Australian Crime Commission held an Inquiry into Amphetamines and Other Synthetic Drugs (AOSD).

Enlighten was asked to make a submission. We hadn't spoken about it publicly before now because we weren't allowed to until the Inquiry was finished but now all of the submissions are online here.

The copy on their site is not the best scan, so here is a link to a better version on our site.

We've also just been invited to speak to the Committee at a public meeting in May. Hopefully we'll have more details of that soon.

So please read through our submission and tell us if we have missed anything, as this is your chance to voice your opinion to those in power.

Here is a list of the groups and organisations that also made submissions:

1 West Australian Police (PDF 29KB)
2 Australian Federal Police (ACT Policing) (PDF 76KB)
3 Australian Institute of Health & Welfare (PDF 94KB)
4 South Australian Police (PDF 221KB)
5 Australain Customs Service (PDF 421KB)
6 Australian Federal Police (National) (PDF 408KB)
7 Alcohol & other Drugs Council of Australia (PDF 477KB)
8 Enlighten Harm Reduction (PDF 1180KB)
9 NSW Police (PDF 985KB)
Attachment A NSW Drug Misuse & Trafficking Amendment Bill 2005 (PDF 396KBAttachment B NSW Legislative Assembly Hansard (PDF 30KB)
10 National Drug Research Institute, Curtin University (PDF 241KB)
11 Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions (PDF 386KB)
12 Queensland Alcohol & Drug Research & Education Centre (QADREC) (PDF 320KB)
13 National Drug & Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC) (PDF 1008KB)
14 Drug & Alcohol Office in Western Australia (PDF 274KB)
15 National Law Enforcement Policy Branch, Attorney-General's Department (PDF 269KB)
16 Department of Health & Ageing (PDF 191KB)
17 Confidential Submission
18 Australian Crime Commission (PDF 659KB)
19 Families & Friends for Drug Law Reform (ACT) Inc (PDF 571KB)

A very interesting report, which contains a lot of details I doubt the Inquiry have seen before! Well done you two!

I'm going to the Perth hearing:

PARLIAMENT OF AUSTRALIA
PARLIAMENTARY JOINT COMMITTEE ON THE AUSTRALIAN CRIME COMMISSION
PARLIAMENT HOUSE
CANBERRA ACT 2600
Telephone: 02 6277 3598
Facsimile: 02 6277 5866
Email: [email protected]
Internet: www.aph.gov.au/senate_acc

MEDIA RELEASE

Inquiry into Amphetamines and Other Synthetic Drugs (AOSD)

The Parliamentary Joint Committee on the Australian Crime Commission is conducting an inquiry into Amphetamines and Other Synthetic Drugs (AOSD).

The Chair of the Committee, Senator the Hon Ian Macdonald has announced that public hearings would be held in Adelaide (3 May), Perth (4 May), Brisbane (15 May), Sydney (16 May) and Canberra (5 June). Details of the first two public hearings are:

Adelaide, Wednesday 3 May, Prince Alfred Room, Town Hall, 128 King William St, Adelaide. Witnesses:
10.30 am South Australia Police
11.15 am National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction

Perth, Thursday 4 May, Level 39 Conference Room, Commonwealth Offices,
Stock Exchange Plaza, 2 The Esplanade, Perth. Witnesses:
10.30am Western Australia Police
11.15 am National Drug Research Institute
12.00noon WA Drug & Alcohol Office

Terms of reference and copies of submissions received are on the Committee’s website at

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/acce_ctte/aosd/index.htm

Great submission - extensive and thorough. I just checked out the ADCA submission (#7). It's not too bad - nice support for harm reduction and peer education, plus limited support for pill testing. Unfortunately none of this harm reduction stuff gets into their list of recommendations...

^ Don't worry ayjay, harm reduction will be well represented.

However, I'd advise all BLers interested in the legal position of recreational drugs- should be everyone - to read through the submissions to this inquiry. Recommendations from the outcomes of these hearings will likely affect proposed legal changes, which could very well shift the focus of policy even more in the direction of supply reduction - at the expense of Harm Reduction.

It would seem that users so far have been conveniently [?] left out of these hearings, so Steve Cannane from Hack is offering users a chance to voice their opinions and tell their stories.

The last minute of Hack-Thurs 4th May suggests users contribute (give evidence to the inquiry). This can be done through the Hack page on JJJ.

It will be followed up this arvo on JJJ.

From comments by those who attended the Adelaide & Perth hearings, I believe there's a need for more evidence from occasional users, those who don't do drugs very often. Considering this represents a high percentage of users, it's vitally important that the committee be made aware of those who don't suffer adversely from the occasional E or line etc. The committee is made up of mp's and senators from across Australia.

So leave the "closet", come out and be heard. Like those who don't vote, you can hardly justify any moaning at a less than optimum outcome if you haven't bothered to add your 2c worth.

p_d

I was there as a witness, and yes it was very much focused on supply reduction... although I found the senators were interested in more innovating proposals, they did ask a number of questions about pill testing.

They found it very hard to understand the idea that most drug users don't come into major trouble with their use. This was a difficult concept for them to grasp. I agree with phase_dancer, we MUST let them know of the existence of such people. the senators were keen to listen to different voices, drug users included.

phase_dancer said:
The last minute of Hack-Thurs 4th May suggests users contribute (give evidence to the inquiry). This can be done through the Hack page on JJJ.

It will be followed up this arvo on JJJ.

I just heard Steve on triple J just then say to ring up this afternoon as well (friday), he said all calls are anonymous and even manufacturers of amphetamines are encouraged to voice their opinions.

Im not 100% though if its going to be on todays show, but I'm pretty sure it is.

an interesting submission - at least the only one written by an individual

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/acc_ctte/aosd/submissions/sub25.pdf

To Whom It May Concern,

In regards to synthetic drug use, I am a twenty year old infrequent user, but I know people who use on a much more frequent basis, and amongst these groups it seems to me that there is little fear of what damage drugs will do. Most are aware of the dangers but claim either that they 'don't care' or simply that 'some people can handle it and others can't'. They use these drugs because they don't see any real reason not to.

Amphetamines and other 'party drugs' are the ultimate hedonistic activity, used in order to ensure a good time. They are an escape from the mundane reality of real life, and especially the day to day monotony of the generally banal positions of employment young people occupy.

While these drugs have a huge stigma amongst mainstream society, for the vast majority of environments that stimulants are used there is no stigma at all. What has been created for both sides is an 'us and them' dynamic, whereby mainstream society perceives drug users as the degenerates in the government ad campaigns, and the users themselves scoff at these portrayals as the misperceptions of the establishment.

While there may be people that are not functional within society because of their habits, this is most certainly not true of the vast majority; and even less true of the users young people encounter, people that form the happy example of drug takers in the minds of potential new users.

Part of the us and them dynamic stems from the duality of what is experienced firsthand: happy users; and the mainstream stereotype: the degenerate. The vast majority of people in clubs are only weekend users, and eventually grow out of their habits without ever really becoming heavy users. The heavier (problem) users are generally less social and are not experienced firsthand.
This duality needs to be combated through a more acceptant, less judgemental education. For example, if people never come into contact with someone whose brain has been 'burnt out', then let one of these people spread the word in schools. Let them spread the word of why they used, why they didn't stop, and what effect drugs have had on their life.

There needs to be a perception of the law as understanding and trying to help, rather than an unneccessary restriction of liberty. The key to this is in not merely providing the reasons against, but also the positive side. People will find out why people use drugs one way or another, it may as well be from a controlled source, and at that it may as well be from someone who has used, and is able to communicate firsthand the problems associated.

I don't have a problem with occasional users (I only take pills maybe 2 times a year, i am just lucky enough not to have got addicted) infact I think to a certain extent pyschotropic substances can be helpful in understanding, or at least acquiescing with one’s lot in life. If someone needs a release, then I think it is fair enough to give it to them, the problem is when their life becomes a continuous 'release' in the form of an, even weekly, addiction. In the case of addiction, if a person is willing to admit that they have a problem, then I think that rehabilitation should be available to them, and I am not sure that it is practically available at present.

Harsher penalties for users will do nothing to deter them, and will only exacerbate the us and them dynamic. Increased prices might somewhat deter, but only in the direction of cheaper, more dangerous drugs.

People must not just hear stories of how drugs are bad, they must understand the drugs and what is actually happening, as well as experience firsthand what drugs can do.
[Name withheld]

That was a very good submission!! (I had missed it when I read through the formal organisation ones)

Transcript of the Triple J session is now available from the official site: click here

Personally I think that it can be hard to get opinions and info across in a radio show - I think this medium, this forum - would be a better way of addressing the inquiry as a group of people who use drugs.

I've suggested this to the inquiry. We shall see what they say. I don't want to set up a thread without the guarantee that it will be used as evidence... although I'm sure it would still be insightful either way!

Johnboy - Fantastic submission, lets just hope it does some good.

My only criticism would be there are some basic spelling mistakes, some doubling of information during dot pointing and also whoever completed the version that is from your site seems to have had their dictionary on English - US.

I'm not sure if the submission was handed out or these are just your copies but either way it is fantastic work.

Two thumbs up

Well, feel free to offer your services as a proof reader...

I cannot speak for Michael's sections but my pill testing part was largely made up of direct quotes from other papers, which could account for apparent doubling up and non-Aus dictionaries. For example the dot points are from European papers and I have included them in full.

I'm sure if the committee has any problems with this they will let me know on Monday :)

Drug capital
By ANGELA KAMPER
May 17, 2006

AUSTRALIANS use more ecstasy than any other nationality and are the world's second-heaviest users of amphetamines.

A day after experts denounced the use of the term "party drugs" as lessening the impact of illicit substances, the state's top drug police attacked Australia's "culture of acceptance" as driving the disturbing statistics.

A federal parliamentary inquiry in Sydney yesterday heard a United Nations study put Australians at the top of the international list for the consumption of MDMA – also known as ecstasy. Australia also had the highest use of amphetamines in the Western world and was second only to Thailand.

"Even though we are isolated we have developed a culture of acceptance of these types of harmful substances," NSW drug squad Detective Inspector Paul Willingham told the inquiry into amphetamines and other synthetic drugs.

The National Drug and Alcohol Reseach Centre estimates 500,000 Australians have used amphetamines – including ecstasy – in the past year.

Of those, 73,000 are dependent on the drug, with up to 66 per cent using ice – a more potent crystalline form of methylamphetamine.

Insp Willingham said while ecstasy was more expensive here compared with Europe and the US, users continued to take it due to an increased supply from Asia and a culture of acceptance.

Drug squad Detective Superintendent David Laidlaw said a drop in heroin use had increased the market for amphetamines.

"To us it wasn't a heroin drought. They (users) just decided to go with an amphetamine type," he said.

"We as a law enforcement agency have to educate people (that) it is illicit." He said this should begin with students as young as those in Year 6.

A UN report released in 2003 estimated 2.9 per cent of Australians aged over 15 were using ecstasy. That rate was the world's highest, with Ireland the next highest (2.4 per cent), then Britain (2.2 per cent), Spain (1.8 per cent), Belgium (1.7 per cent) and the US (1.5 per cent).

Australia also had the second highest rate for amphetamine use at 3.4 per cent, behind Thailand (5.6 per cent).

From Daily Telegraph

hoptis said:

What I'd like to know if they remove the term "party drugs" then what exactly will they be calling them? The name party drugs comes from the fact that pills, coke etc are generally associated with parties which are in most peoples recreational time.

sydkiwi: the term used at the moment is "Ecstasy and Related Drugs", that is, ERDs.

:)

Meh. ERDs is what people who worry about their funding call them ;) We know they are party drugs.

I can't put up the whole transcript of our presentation to the Committee yet, but I thought I'd give you a taste. This bit I love because just like we got Christoper Pyne to admit he doesn't need research, we got two Liberal Senators to admit their ad campaigns are a failure:

Senator FERRIS—But why don’t you say, ‘Do not take the drug,’ if you know the chances are that they will die?

Mr Davidson—No, this is exactly the point. It is about giving information in a neutral way, not in a parental way by saying: ‘Just say no. Drugs are bad.’ You have spent $100 million on those ads. Are they working?

CHAIR—No.

Mr Davidson—This is what we have to address. We have to address the fact that no, they are not.

Senator FERRIS—Do you know that?

CHAIR—Usage is increasing.

Mr Davidson—We would not be here today, with four per cent of the Australian population doing ecstasy, if the $100 million worth of ads was effective.

johnboy said:
Meh. ERDs is what people who worry about their funding call them ;) We know they are party drugs.

I have a question about this which has bugged me for a while. Who first starting grouping these drugs together and calling them party drugs? Was it drug users? or was it researchers? or the media?

I mean, I never remember thinking "Mmm let's go get some party drugs" back in the day! then again, WA can be a bit different regarding its terms, being so far away from the rest of Oz!

The first time I remember hearing the term was around the first PDI. Yes I agree it wasn't a common "street" term before then, if at all.

I reckon if you search BL for the term you'd probably see if it came from the PDI or before it. Otherwise Google away :)

That is exactly what I remember thinking at the time.

Did a Bluelight search, find this old thread, notice "party drugs" is used once, but most of the time, people just spoke about "drugs".

Maybe it's because people who use drugs know what kinds of drug they are talking about, whereas researchers/journalists want/need to discriminate between "party drugs" and "addictive drugs" (even though if you overuse the so-called party drugs, addiction/dependence can occur) ...