• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Inner monologue

MsDiz

Bluelight Crew
I couldn’t find the previous post discussing what type of inner monologue we each have.

I found this article today and it’s quite interesting. One woman’s inner monologue is an Italian couple arguing about the decisions she needs to make… yes, you read that right!

Worth the read.

Mines at least 3 or 4 versions of myself
For example
Me1 "leave the rest of that k for tomorrow now"
Me2 "or you could you know, just do it"
Me3 "yeah go on just do 1 big hit out of it"
Me1 "shut up you cunts hes obviously going to do it"
Me4 "yeah course he is"
Me2 "what are you waiting for you pussy"
Me1 "oh ffs yeah im obviously going to"
Etc

It can get pretty lively up there. Sometimes i think some of the versions of me are my dead mates communicating with me, but its always my voice

That Italian couple thing is mad lol @MsDiz

i have a dirty mind and im glad youre in it so here goes , i want CENSORS nevermind, loving the read , goes back to it so i dont have to listen to my inner thoughts argue

Last edited:
Interesting read, however I disagree with the article about how common a phenomenon internal dialogue really is.

I think most people simply have zero internal dialogue.

Really? I thought everyone did
The article made it sound like the inner monologue is happening unwillingly. In other words, intrusive voices.

Everybody can have an inner voice/monologue if they want to, they just have to willingly create/use it.

Intrusive voices however, that's something else. I'm surprised the article never mentioned schizophrenia, because most medical establishments would label them as that.

This reminds me of a girl that went viral on Twitter a year or two ago because she couldn't believe people can visualize an apple in their mind. It was a scale of 1-5 where 1 was no apple, 2 was like an Atari pixelated apple, 3 was blurry, 4 was pretty close to real life like a crayon drawing or painting, and 5 was a real apple where you can see light reflecting off of the wax layer. I remember being surprised how many people were a 1 and 2.

This reminds me of a girl that went viral on Twitter a year or two ago because she couldn't believe people can visualize an apple in their mind. It was a scale of 1-5 where 1 was no apple, 2 was like an Atari pixelated apple, 3 was blurry, 4 was pretty close to real life like a crayon drawing or painting, and 5 was a real apple where you can see light reflecting off of the wax layer. I remember being surprised how many people were a 1 and 2.
So cool. So I take it reading a book she wouldn't have been able to picture a character or place etc in her mind? I thought everyone could picture things really clearly like that. I can literally create pictures in my head that are like HD TV. Changing landscapes, people's faces who I've never seen before etc. So I'm defo 5 don't know about anyone else?
My inner dialogue is more active sometimes than other times. It can be quite negative and criticizing unfortunately also rushy, and then mostly it's just random bits of music or melody. Intrusive thoughts come in too which at this point I tell to fuck off lol.

So cool. So I take it reading a book she wouldn't have been able to picture a character or place etc in her mind? I thought everyone could picture things really clearly like that. I can literally create pictures in my head that are like HD TV. Changing landscapes, people's faces who I've never seen before etc. So I'm defo 5 don't know about anyone else?
My inner dialogue is more active sometimes than other times. It can be quite negative and criticizing unfortunately also rushy, and then mostly it's just random bits of music or melody. Intrusive thoughts come in too which at this point I tell to fuck off lol.
That's what I thought about too. So, if they read The Big Bad Wolf, they really are unable to visualize a wolf blowing a house down? That seems crazy to me.

I remember the original thread and have given this subject a lot of consideration.

I have a voice when I'm thinking of something I'm going to communicate, like before writting this post and during the process of writting it. This voice is my own. If I'm considering a conversation, it will have both participants and will involve full body language, only my half will be in my voice. Its very visual and can contain a host of participants while i watch it and actively edit various parts as they seem incorrect.

My thought process however isn't a monologue or voice in my head. It is a visual process that involves an understanding of ideas and moving them about and altering them. If im making a recipe for example I start by looking at my available ingredients and in a very quick moment have a huge list of posible directions that i refine by visualizing products until the picture i see fits the need i see visually as well.

Often trying to communicate my plans verbally without thought I will not use the right terms and fumble for the correct word for something like cornmeal and use a descriptive phrase like "sprinkle little yellow gritty stuff on it".

The questions I've tried to focus on are:

How is this voice benefiting or hindering me in the thought process?
How large an influence does this voice play in my relationships?
Am I the source of my inner dialogues or is there some validity to the beliefs that its not just me?
How can i change this situation to improve myself?

With regards to the first question it slows me down considerably because it involves moving ideas into language and often rewording them multiple times until I am able to move forward. However it often shows me other peoples perspectives, so slowing down is essential if i'm to be considerate.

Initially i feared how large a place this inner dialogue had in my life and relationships but by focusing on what is happening and actively making my own inner voice justify its ideas and words I feel I've moved forward in a huge way.

There is now zero conflict occuring in my inner dialogue. This has resulted in a calm life with little stress despite currently being on an island in the fraser river in the lower mainland of BC. Thankfully our pumps never failed and the power stayed on during the whole event.

Glossolalia is where it's at
A few years ago a (former) facebook friend showed a gif of what appeared to be a group Muslim men carrying on and freaking out in a temple. He said they had recently discovered heavy metal music. Recognizing the implied racism of the gif and comment, I said "Naw, they're just Pentecostals." Didn't sit well with him. lol

Intrusive voices can sometimes be of benefit to a person.

Not everybody that hears intrusive voices should seek out medical help. Sometimes it's a "gift", and you should keep it.
Could be madness,whisper of an angel...or devil.Could be your own thoughts....those intrusive voices

I only have an internal monologue when I am modeling conversations or trying to work through something language-related. It is strongest when I'm angry and I find myself talking to myself in several versions of myself that are conversing/arguing through what I'm angry about.

Most of my thoughts are wordless and sort of like a series of conceptual/sensory packages. Or it's wordless logic based, or music-based.

I only have an internal monologue when I am modeling conversations or trying to work through something language-related. It is strongest when I'm angry and I find myself talking to myself in several versions of myself that are conversing/arguing through what I'm angry about.

Most of my thoughts are wordless and sort of like a series of conceptual/sensory packages. Or it's wordless logic based, or music-based.
It's strongest when I am angry too. Also when I am fearful/worried.

Lol, I found the Apple Girls tweet. I had the 1-5 scale reversed.

I don't actually see anything behind my eyelids, but I can envision an apple nonetheless.