• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids *Impossible* to get a cold/flu while on opiates?

Beerman

Bluelighter
I wanted to ask if someone had noticed that while being opiate-dependent is impossible -almost for me- to get a cold/flu or even feel the symptoms.

Maybe I had but because of the opiate (heroin most of the time, or buprenorphine nowadays -ORT-) effects quit the symptoms of the flu, -or maybe the body is too intoxicated with drugs that don't allow influenza grow =D- I don't know, but that is what I've realised in my more of 4 years of opiate use, I've never had a cold/flu while on opiates, the closest I've felt are the withdrawals..:\

So if anyone had experienced this I'm curious to know :)

Come to think of it, I haven't gotten the cold/the flu since I've been on my too-many-months-to-count opiate binge of late (I've been addicted to opiates for the past five years, but its been an on-again-off-again thing). My guess is that most of those viral infections that cause colds and the flu and such things come and go and for many people don't even cause symptoms. And, lucky for opiate addicts, most of the symptoms include pain, coughing, generally feeling like shit and problems sleeping.

These are all things that opiates treat quite well. These are also reasons why my PC doctor likes to script people Tussionex so much :p.

I dunno man, its interesting to think about. A buddy of mine from high school that was seriously into DXM (taking it every day for months on end sort of deal) swore that he hasn't gotten sick since because he's taken enough cough medicine to last him his lifetime. Go figure.

I'm not sure if any formal research has been done on this subject, but its a phenomenon that has been discussed a few times around here and nearly every respondent has the same experience. I suspect symptomatic relief probably plays a role but it seems that people are getting sick from common colds and the flu less often still. I wish I had more definitive information on this.

Maybe it's because opiates raise your body temperature, idk just throwing that out there.

Maybe it's because opiates raise your body temperature, idk just throwing that out there.

love2party...you may have a point there, I know the point of a fever when you're really sick is to aid the immune system in destroying the virus/bacteria in question.

EDIT:

Did a quick PubMed search for "influenza morphine" and found this. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9666259. Which actually shows the opposite occuring, at least with rats and influenza...hmm.

Last edited:
Before I started using opiates I used to catch everything that went around. Within the last 2 years of opiates use I haven't gotten sick once, even my allergies (which were horrible) haven't been an issue. I was thinking about this the other day.

Hehe thanks everybody, my suspicions were true...%)
Sooo.. why Drs says "there's no cure for the flu, just lay in your bed..." LIARS!! =D Give them some codeine! hehehe

wow! i was just thinking about this the other day.. my whole stretch as a heroin addict i dont remember being actually sick (rather than dope sick) once. which seems kind of weird because if anything i would assume that opiates would depress your immune system. so i kind of came to conclusion that i probably did get sick but i was so doped out i didnt even notice it.

so do opiates boost the immune system? this could be a key factor in trying to get rid of a chronic illness that I have. my body temperature is also low when not on opiates (96.4).

I got a wicked cold while I was hooked on oxy. Couldn't snort it because my nose was so clogged, so I'd grind up half a pill and hold it under my tongue for a while (I don't recommend this)

Hmm.

I'm leaning more towards you're actually getting sick just like anybody else but the opiates are destroying the symptoms. Oh, how I wish codeine was OTC in the United States.

i read a study a little while ago about opiates lowering the immune system. ill try to find it again when im back on my computer (i hate using laptops lol i miss my mouse)
has anyone else heard of this?

I was discussing this with my friends the other day..I used to get the most intense flu/strept throat/etc about a week before my birthday like clockwork and then I also just got plain sick several times throughout the year. But since opiates I haven't been actual "sick--sick"

Maybe we all still get sick we just don't notice is or don't care since we are so doped up haha. Or maybe since we have been through hellish WD the common flu/cold goes unnoticed?

Yup. I realized this a long time ago, but wasn't sure if it was just me or what. I've never really had anyone to discuss this with, but thats why BL is great. I have never, EVER gotten sick while being dependent on a substance. Whether it be opiates or alcohol. I've also read that using opiates or alcohol weakens the immune system, but i'm guessing that is more specifically in regards to casual/moderate users. I could be wrong of course, i've never studied it scientifically, obviously, but it doesn't change the fact that ive never gotten a bad flu or cold while using a physically addictive substance heavily. Nice observation OP.

Well I find this flu rejection true about colds/flu. So has Keith Richards, per several interviews back to 1972. It's true. May be homeopathic.

I'm simply chuggin' in to report on opiods email order. Seen several mentions here, want to just put down my first hand experience.

Ordered thru a supposed Canadian Pharmacy. Expected to get ripped off. Didn't really. The products are from India. But 80% of the pharmaceuticals in the USA are of foreign origin. Seems USA just gets the shit, they add FDA required fuck you goober stuff, and they press them. These India pills come without the goobers.

I genuinely need these for back pain, but certainly enjoy a little excess. Local Doc tried 4 things out on me. Hydrocodone, Methadone, Oxycodone, Morphine. Each one was 3 days worth. I waited a month to see her again to get a new trial! Eight months and I got 18 days worth of coverage. This just blows me. I've got a seven year history of problem. And top flight insurance.

Fellas, I'm starting to believe these experts, that I'm just auto-tolerant to opiods. Tomorrow I start some program at University of Washington. CPAIN. Not sure if they want to help me, or just enter me in a database. It's a long going international program.

I'm really getting around to the point where you figure out nobody in the big city is going to help because pain killer abuse is the current media "darling".

The "80mg" Indian Oxys came in a 3"x1" blister pack. Pro package, no doubt...even tinted the clear side dark brown for sun protection. I don't know these drugs well enough to give a quality answer. Something happened, but not as delectable as I was expecting. Insulfate 80 mgs...4 huge lines, and it's no problem. More is a waste. Won't be buying again. Mailed to me in a manila envelope. Took 10 days.

As far as scientific stuff goes, I did the cold water extraction. I'm an engineer, and well aquainted with the precipitation thing. I got absolutely nothing thru a coffee funnel. Nothing. The guys talking the coca-cola thing should realize this will bring more "unwanted" stuff too.

This was just a report. Need someone local I guess. That's a crap shoot.

I got a wicked cold while I was hooked on oxy. Couldn't snort it because my nose was so clogged, so I'd grind up half a pill and hold it under my tongue for a while (I don't recommend this)

I was actually sick about a week ago, not dope sick or nothing actually sick, so sick that I didn;t even do any of my oxy for like 2-3 hours because of the same reason my nose was so clogged up. But when I eventually crawled my fat ass out of bed and did a nice 40 rail my nose cleared up within 20-30 mins.

I've found this to happen when you first wake up and your a little dope sick and your nose is clogged, do a rail and your nose will clear up.

Wish this were true for me. I'm an opiate addict and I have the flu like a bitch right now. So does my boyfriend.

I used to have this theory. i still believe it. I have been an opiate addict for 8 years.

When I was at the clinic last week picking up my weekly takehomes, literally 90 percent of the people in there were saying how they have been sick with some stomach virus shit, and low and be hold two days later i come down with this fucking stomach virus for three days. Horrible. As for the common cold or the flu, I have NEVER once came down with a case of them since my daily opiate use 3 years ago or so. Before that I would get sick quite easily. Strange