• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos I cant find a Doctor to help me taper my benzos

Hi Sandoval... I completely understand the situation and it is astonishing your Dr will not taper you properly. Did the two of you have a falling out? Do you still see this Dr?

Sorry for all the questions...I CT'd a 6 mg. a day Xanax habit in 2013. It was stupid, and it was hell. I would take the above posters advice.. Go to the ER if needed. Even if they only give you a few adys of meds, you can think better and figure this out. Gabapentin would definatley help. But you can't just drive to Publix and purchase it. It would help with seizure control and make you feel much better. But I believe if you're on day 3...you IMO are past the seizure point. I know it's rough..Hang in there. The body jolts and shocks can be scary.. I now have a mega Etizolam habit...soooo I'm back to square one again..

As far as the ER, about a week and a half ago I was withdrawing from a decent benzo habit (about 3-4mg of Xanax a day plus large amounts of Etizolam ranging from 4-10mg a day). The withdrawal was pure help with the worst mind blowing anxiety I've ever had, little to no sleep with horrible nightmares when I did get sleep I had super unpleasant dreams, racing heart, and palpatations etc.

By about day 5 I felt it was putting way too much of a strain on my body and was feeling psychotic so after much deliberation I decided to go to the ER and come clean for fear of seizure and just not being able to cope with the craziness.

The doc I ended up seeing (a nurse practitioner actually) gave me a world of shit and it was embarrassing but they ended up giving me 2mg of Ativan IM and after a stern lecture cut me loose with a script for about 6 days worth of 2mg Ativan 3x a day to hold me over to my doctors appointment which luckily was on Monday (was Wednesday when I went to the ER) so it worked out in the end.

Luckily my doctor wasn't too pissed and ended up upping my Xanax and thankfully the pharmacy filled the script even though it was way early.

I have to say benzo withdrawals were by far the worst withdrawals I've ever experienced and make opiate withdrawals seem like a trip to Disneyland. According to the NP I was lucky the ER even helped me as she said they never give out or adjust psych meds in the ER. I'm so glad to have put that situation behind me, it sucked ass majorly.

Having said all that, OP try the ER and if you have to threaten your benzo prescriber with a lawsuit if they won't help you at least taper. Obviously this is just blowing smoke up their ass but if they continually prescribed you the benzos and facilitated you getting dependent on them then they should be duty bound to taper you off them in my opinion.