• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction How to Get Needles Mega Thread

For anybody that lives in Nebraska, I just walked into my local Walgreens, grabbed some alcohol wipes, some lancets, proceeded to the
pharmacy counter and asked the pharmacist for some 1ml 30 gauge
syringes and he sold them to me no questions asked.
Provided they know me there, I'm kind of a regular. Hope that helps!

In toronto, canada. u can get needles at any pharmacy, they range from 3$-5$ for a 10pack. But i was curious, what do you prefer??? Long tip? or Short tip?? I have always used 1cc long tip insulin syringes. But the pharmacy i get them only has the 1cc short tips...are they harder to hit a vien with?

In toronto, canada. u can get needles at any pharmacy, they range from 3$-5$ for a 10pack. But i was curious, what do you prefer??? Long tip? or Short tip?? I have always used 1cc long tip insulin syringes. But the pharmacy i get them only has the 1cc short tips...are they harder to hit a vien with?

IMO, the best needles I use for IV injections are 31G 5/16". Volume is irrelevant to me really; I can fit whatever I want in 30 units. I generally get 1cc because they tend to be better produced (after having gone through many thousands of new needles of several different brands I noticed some similarities among all manufacturers).

There are finer gauge needles but I couldn't honestly see myself using them as I haven't ever found them in insulin syringe form just luer lock tip form (not exactly convenient IMO).

A 10-pack here costs between $3 and $5 too, unless you stop by the local needle exchange. If you bring your old ones, they'll give you an equal number of new ones, as well as any other harm reduction supplies you might need that they have for free (sterile water, cottons, cookers, tourniquets, comdoms and lube, etc.).

Im in MI and around these parts every store has a policy to not sell needles with no script.

Got so bad people were buying veterinary syringes to IV 23 guage. You got that right 23, mightve been 22 even. And that seems to be what the shooters are doing around here.

Very not harm reduction. I have quit IV'ing for now, untill I man up and internet order some and just make sure Im there when they arrive.

I never really understood, why can't you use the same needles over and over again if you were to say boil them or sterilize them by soaking them in some sort of non toxic alcohol between uses?

I live in Minnesota and so for any other semi-Canadian Bluelighters, you can get syringes here by just going to the pharmacy.
Also, there are many needle exchanges in the metro area here.
Another option is to go through an online diabetic supply company like Liberty Medical or others. [Google search the term to locate ones near you.]
Some can ship directly to you, with an Rx; others can provide lower cost options for pick-up.

Another option is to talk to a doctor, as a vast majority of them will help with harm-reduction strategies, even if it's not exactly "ethical".

Hope this helps!

I never really understood, why can't you use the same needles over and over again if you were to say boil them or sterilize them by soaking them in some sort of non toxic alcohol between uses?

You could, hypothetically, but the metal used in the needle is not designed for repeat use and gets dull or bent very easily.
Imagine going to shoot and having the point break off in your arm; not a pleasant thought but it does happen.

Reason being, the metal starts to break down and gets covered in microscopic "burrs" which can:
A.) Hurt like a son-of-a-bitch when you go to inject from being dull.
B.) Can the needle to weaken and break after repeated use.
& C.) Bend and fuck up in other ways that are not fun.

So, be careful. You're better off using a clean rig; you don't have to go through the process of sanitizing and it's a lot safer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im still confused i still dont no what people prefer if they use the 1cc needles, the short tip, or long tip...the needles i get are:

"BD Ultra Fine II 1cc, 8mm needle length, 30 gauge" (Short Tip)

and i cant find an empty bag of the long tips but i think maybe the needle length is 12mm?

in British Columbia, Canada, you can purchase syringes without a prescription at the discretion of the pharmacist.
If you straight up admit that you need clean syringes to administer drugs, they will sell you what you want without hassle. This depends on the pharmacy. Some pharmacies will not sell you anything if they know it's for drug use. Some pharmacies will still sell to you, under the umbrella of harm-reduction. Also, pharmacies here hand out free sharps containers, and accept closed, and filled sharps containers for disposal.

Im in MI and around these parts every store has a policy to not sell needles with no script.

Got so bad people were buying veterinary syringes to IV 23 guage. You got that right 23, mightve been 22 even. And that seems to be what the shooters are doing around here.

Very not harm reduction. I have quit IV'ing for now, untill I man up and internet order some and just make sure Im there when they arrive.

21 gauge needles are the standard size used for phlebotomy procedures, and are most appropriate for a large vein, like the ones you find in your antecubtial area (crock of elbow)

by no means are these needles HUGE. a 21 or 22 gauge needle is PLEASANT for large volume injections (above 3cc's), also registering with them is a breeze. Sometimes the pressure inside your vein automatically makes the flash appear when you hit the vein. i have poked hundreds of people with 21 gauge needles, and if your technique is good, they will leave no bigger mark than, say, a 25 or 27 gauage.

I never understood how people can shoot up with 30 or 31 gauge needles. First, you must have a very clear solution, since the small lumen clogs very easily. Furthermore, i have trouble registering with a 27 gauge, i can't imagine how painful it would be trying to register with a 30 gauge. I only ever used one once, and it was such a pain in the ass... Also, the needle seems so thin and fragile, like an accident waiting to happen almost.

I love my 25 gauge, 1 inch needle. Even this is a bit on the small side for 3cc injections i find. a 23 gauge (standard needle used on toddlers and babys in phlebotomy procedures, and hand veins) gives the most comfort and ease of use, since you can push fast and register easy. The 25 gauge chokes the flow a bit, and it's hard to see if you're still in the vein, because you have to push slowly. But it makes up for the small mark it leaves on your arm after. 25 gauge is small enough that i can hit veins on my foot, hand and arms. It's my universal goto-choice, if i am not sure where i am going to inject.

Last edited:
You can.It's best to use a fresh rig if possible, but you can use it again. It's like disposible razors or contact lens, cheap but reuseable(to an extent) and marketed as one use. I know about the BD pics designed to scary you.It's designed to penetrate twice, first a rubber stopper on a vial, then your skin, it's probably overbuilt like many thing.One reason why it gets harder to use after each use is the special lubricant rubs off the needle.Anyone know what lubricant is used?I think it may be proprietary. In the book 'Worst Pill, Best Pills" Public Citizen says you can reuse syringes for diabetes if you can't afford new ones.I think they recommend cleaning it with bleach.

Best would be to use an autoclave to sterilize it(pressure cooker might work), but some plastic syringes might be weaken by the heat.Next best is bleach, don't dilute it.Rinse out the rig with water a couple times, then suck up some bleach(not from the container, in a cup), shake for a least 30seconds, squirt out into a toilet, repeat at least once.rinse out with water a couple times. Alcohol(isopropy/ everclear), hydrogen peroxide, even detergent water or a 15min boil in water(might not work with some plastic syringes) may also work, but bleach is best.Bleach and the other sanitizes, not sterilizes, the rig. It will reduce but not eliminate the risk of infection.

Some will use a matchstriker pad to sharpen a dull needle or earwax to lubricate the plunger, but if you at that point you should just get a new one if possible. An alternative to using earwax for the plunger is put a eyedropper bulb or even a pacifier bulb on the syringe. That use to be popular when syringes were harder to get and more expensive, you'll probably only see it in prison or with older users now. Again, does anyone know what lubricant is used on the fresh plunger?

Why tell anyone this when there's a needle exchanges and OTC cheap syringes? This is an international form. Some states/countries/cities don't have legal syringes. Some users can't afford even the cheap syringes sometimes, what little money they have goes to food or more drugs.Sometimes the pharmacist/pharmtech is a douchebag who refuses to sell even though it's legal.Maybe the pharmacy/needle exchange is closed.Or they can't get a ride.It might not be practical/cheap to use a new one for short-acting drugs like cocaine or fentanyl.

It is always best to use a fresh syringe, this will drastically cut down on the risk of infection, bruising, and vein damage(very bad for cocaine, some pills, and black tar heroin), and more and more governments and healthcare professionals are becoming aware of the benefits of OTC syringes and needle exchanges.

I remember when i first came to the Melbourne area and didnt know about PANCH in Preston, i found it almost impossible to get syringes...Once in an area about an hour or so out of Melbourne i went to 7 chemists and ended up driving home to have a hit there...It was impossible...I asked chemists where the needle exchange was and they didnt give a fuck. Now i go to PANCH and get a few free packs at a time...i only use say 5 needles a month...But i still have to reuse them...I put some (2) away that have only been used once and keep them for emergencies now...But the feeling of rejection you get when the chems look at you and basically tell you to get the fuck outta my shop junky, sucks....feel for those who have probs getting them....Anyone in Melb area....PANCH in PRESTON gives 5 packs with alcohol wipes and water vials free no questions...Thanks for a great thread El Capitan...

Why can't you use the same knife every cut? Oh, that's right, it gets DULL.

When a needle dulls down, you can still use it, but with every puncture past the first one, the tip is going to start curling backwards... eventually, you won't be able to get the bevel even part of the way into your vein. Continuing to use needles past that point, will just lead to subcutaneous injections and further vein damage. As someone else mentioned, the needle can actually break off too, this is nothing you want to experience.

7e261_ORIG-needle_deterioration_icbg.jpg

Thanks for a great thread El Capitan...

You're welcome Miss Kirsty! I just want to know that people are benefiting from this information, and are somewhat able to use one method to get new needles if they must inject at all. :)

I also hope you all are going to be able to better guard yourselves against HIV/Hep B/C. This is nothing the United States government does for its citizens (whereas in Australia, needle exchanges are roughly spread out evenly throughout the entire country, whereas in the United States, many metropolitan areas have no needle exchanges).

Last edited:
No fucken wonder it hurts!!!WOW..8o8:)o:!:(:\8o8o8o...Those pics are amazing...I knew they burred and such but fuck i had NO IDEA that its to that extent...I mean of course i burred the tip on the spoon in the early days..and only ever did that once!.Those pics are freaking amazing dude...Im off to thro my used ones away now!!...

No fucken wonder it hurts!!!WOW..8o8:)o:!:(:\8o8o8o...Those pics are amazing...I knew they burred and such but fuck i had NO IDEA that its to that extent...I mean of course i burred the tip on the spoon in the early days..and only ever did that once!.Those pics are freaking amazing dude...Im off to thro my used ones away now!!...

Definitely! I'm the kind of person who only goes for a new needle now because of seeing pictures like this one.

Some new needles can be that bad too, some brands tend to be worse than others.

Congratulations on throwing out your used ones!! :)

There are needle clipping devices you can buy, very inexpensive, and this way it completely deters you from wanting to re-use one as it's impossible once you've clipped it immediately after use. I have enough new ones on hand, so it just doesn't make sense to re-use them to me.

For those of you in the US that are just talking about being able to purchase syringes from your local pharmacy or not, you may want to read/post in this thread.
I think that this thread is more for other ways of getting syringes, and/or what kind to get/ask for.

i just walked to like 5 pharms, legaly their supposed to sell to me but every one turned me down, this shit pisses me off so bad i just want to slam an issue whats wrong with that

Little trick I use at wallgreens.... Pretend like I'm on the phone with my woman as she gives me instructions on what her father needs for his insulin injections.... Never hurts to grab one of those pokers they use to test their glucose levels also (don't have to buy that but it makes it look a bit more legit with one in your hand) hope this helps someone!

publix and walgreens here in florida give them to me no questions asked. But then randomly places like k-mart or mom and pop places say they need an RX. I went off on one lady at a pharmacy back when I use to IV. I told her what the law was and she said I was wrong and did not know what I was talking about. I told her this was not over, I went home printed out the Florida state statute that says pharmacies must sell their syringes without a RX unless it is obvious that the person asking is a drug user. (I was sober as a bird, wearing a suit because of my job at the time, was just driving home and needed to pick up a set). So she kept reading it over and over and over, and then she said well you look like a drug addict! BOOM I had her on discrimination and profiling. I started calling all sorts of people I called the corporate HQ and threatened to call the police. Then the store manager came over and asked what was going on I explained, so she called the head pharmacist who wasn't there that day, and he said to sell them to me because that was the law and that if she didn't have reason to believe I was using them illegally then she had to sell them. Me being too young was not reasonable enough so I got them.

I was a little rebel before I joined the army I did not do this because it was the only place I could get them, I did it because of the principle. Because if I get in trouble for breaking the law I have to deal with the consequences, so I am going to make damn sure she follow the rules in a public setting (even though I was using for totally illegal reason lol, it was the principle!) I know I didn't look like a junkie I looked like a young professional that went to the gym all the time. I never fit the typical description of a junkie in my life. Which is why nobody could ever tell everything was going horribly wrong. So I know she was just discriminating against age. I even had a perfect story. We had just moved, always used a mom and pop pharmacy most of our stuff was still packed, we had not had a chance to get a new doctor yet, etc... even the pharm tech was about to sell them to me when the temp pharmacist came over and stopped her. The cunt. So when she finally gave in I bought like 100 of them so I wouldn't have to deal with it again for a while.

i just walked to like 5 pharms, legaly their supposed to sell to me but every one turned me down, this shit pisses me off so bad i just want to slam an issue whats wrong with that

I've recently moved to Nevada and there are only two local pharmacies in the town I've relocated. State law states any person over the age of 18 need not furnish a prescription to garner the sale of needles, and yet both pharmacies asked to see my prescription and then denied me service based upon me not having one... Now, I understand that all stores reserve the right to refuse service to any individual (not sure that applies to pharmacies so much, but let's just assume it does) however - asking for a prescription when it legally has NOTHING to do with whether or not a person qualifies as able to buy a product seems like a form of discrimination to me.

I intend to go back in a day or two and ask to speak to a manager if I get the same treatment, or just spell out my concerns to the pharmacist themselves if they do sell to me without a prescription so they may pass word along to coworkers. In the mean time I emailed the state pharmacists board explaining the situation, adding how it not only seems like a civil suit waiting to happen, but is completely irresponsible from a community health perspective. Let's be real, cdc has shown clean needle access reduces hiv and hep c transition rates among users significantly, and to the people who say users deserve such diseases? We are still very capable of spreading them to normies via accidental pokes or sexually transmitted disease. My end goal by emailing him is to have more widespread policies forcing pharmacists to sell to people in accordance with the law and not on their own individual discretion.

Point being, know your states laws, and if they are refusing you service when they shouldn't be, don't just accept it because you are a drug user and you feel like you have no rights. Or do, whatever that's an individual choice. Regardless, all it takes is one person to enact the change that will allow potentially thousands of junkies in the future access to the equipment they need. Yes buying online is an option (I already ordered some, but not everyone is internet savvy so there are people that online markets aren't an option for based upon their current knowledge/access) and I planned to let the issue rest... But then I saw the above post, and it makes me mad to see uninformed judgemental pharmacists basically condemning people to disease and infection simply because they don't like drug users. If your state has enacted laws giving you access to syringes, you shouldn't have to go and try multiple pharmacies hoping one of them simply fulfills a right you are legally entitled to.

End rant.