• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How long did it take you to quit opiates (actually?)

I'm still working on it. Switched to opiates since 3y after 20+ years of mixed usages (psy, disassociative, but mostly stims/emphatogens). One reason to NOT quit is that opiates "saved" my life, meaning that all the physical issues I suffer from my past, can be tampered from a low/moderate opiates usage.

But it took a lot of those 3 years to set some "golden rules" and actually follow them. Luckily a Keeper and/or a time-safe helped me to sort it out and I've found a good balance for now, but it's really hard to keep it. Most difficult substances ever to control opiates. And the fact they have less to none side-effects (if not abused), other the daily addiction, is difficult to find a true reason to quit.

But i'm still determinate to "quit", or at least, give up my daily usage and try to keep my health under control with other substances non-opioids non-drugs, an healthy lifestily with good food and sport, and just allow myself 1-2 times in a month a nodding to release the stress or the current modern society ;)

and to "answer" the OP, who is actually in a very similar usage/situation like I am (except I managed to drop to 20-30 of oxy) - based on my researches of reduction / wd / alternatives, doing a cold turkey won't bring much.
The best way is to get a professional help and get a "detox" therapy suiting your body/mind/situation.
Most friends I have managed to quit with oxycodone doing a therapy with Buprenorphine (Subutex), exclusively taken orally, because if you snort it you will just get the recreational effects.
Some other went for methadone, some other "do it by yourself" with Kratom (not that is easy to stop kratom then).

IMO the key is the balance, know the reason why you do opiates, if you have a possibility to pay yourself this addiction, and considering the long term effects or if you will end in hospital for an incident or sickness - knowing that you will need to ask a definitely higher dosage of whatever they will feed you.

I think I've been able to recover the original post from A_W. Not sure why things went sideways (editing issues and/or civil discussion), but hopefully this puts things back to where they should be a bit.

I never quit even though i had been sober for months in between. Although it doesnt involve a needle anynore nor high toleramces to drugs like oxy.

I was a PhD student when i discovered my love affair with opiates. I can tell you that being a heavy user, while works as a phd student since yoymu can make your own hours and sleep all day or miss the whole day to chase opioids, as long as your research is working...this lifestyle does not work in the professional world.

This is true. There are motivating factors and functional reasons for opiates depending on the user's brain chemistry. It's way more complex than just a feel-good situation for alot of folks. For some people heroin is a hardcore downer, and for others it is absolutely a stimulant. I appreciate all the replies, there aren't too many ppl in my life who have a similar problem as I have.

This in some ways is a harm reduction thread... I'm asking questions that normally aren't brought up. Most ppl are obsessed with the mechanics of withdrawals and getting high, but when it comes to long term consequences/social consequences alot of information is missing that is available from users who have already posted in this thread. It's so easy to walk into this trap, no one ever considers how unfathomably hard it can be to get out. You think you can quit until 5 months later you're still in a room alone putting whatever into yourself. It did help me greatly to see how others have managed or struggled with the lifestyle too. I had hoped others could see from real people that it's a long haul mentally/physically to escape. I don't see how that is irrelevant to harm reduction even if I'm not asking "how much should I administer through so-and-so method?" There are social/personal ramifications to the drugs that are unique to the class of opiates. It's a fact that people often overdose during "quitting" times because of lower tolerance and the high relapse rate. That can't be overlooked.

Last edited:
7 years, ive wanted to quit forever but cant seem to stop...3 rehabs, 3 sober homes, 2 wrecked cars, so many relationships later...
i think my brain is fucked up.