• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Hopeless How easy is it to end up homeless?

In America, it's pretty easy to end up homeless if the person has no social support system, an inability to find employment and/or figure out how to navigate the social services. If you have at least 1 of the 3, I'd say the probability significantly decreases. Unfortunately, there are way too many who end up homeless here, especially in urban areas.

A lot of times navigating the system for help is a duanting task and requires a professional, and I think that becomes a huge barrier to people most in need sometimes.

I'm 22, live in Ireland and struggling to get a job. I'm in college studying computer science but never worked. Sent like 120 CV's to no avail. My parents are giving me the hint that if I don't find a job, they'll move out of the country and I'll essentially be homeless.

Would you say many are in my situation or not? I think I'd be the first out of my friends in secondary school to become homeless. Even the worst performing students in my school still have some employment/friends from looking at them on Facebook/Instagram.

I also fear that when I get a job, I might lose it all as I've read you're only one paycheck/mistake away from being on the streets. Others though say this is false and those on the streets tend to be addicted to drugs along with having severe mental issues. My friends from the Netherlands say it's almost impossible to end up on the streets there unless you want to.

Is homelessness something that can happen to anyone or do you need a specific set of circumstances to end up there.
oh dea

I am sorry to hear of your troubles ...I assume your relationship with your parents is not so good? Or if you are able to talk to them, can you not explain how terrible the job market is (COVID!) and ask for a moratorium?

Dublin was voted the worst city out of 82 sampled across the world for housing. link...lol.

You know, this should be a good PSA for why kids/teens should take school seriously. Almost all the kids I know who dropped out/didn't get good grades are working menial jobs/living in shared accomodation. The guys I know who got high marks in my school are generally know studying to be pharmacists, lawyers, bankers, accountants.

Isn't it true that nearly all of the 'working poor' involves people working minimum wage jobs? I don't think I've ever heard of a Biologist who is homeless because they can't afford rent.
Omg dude, honestly the Irish do whine a fucking shit load. Yes it’s hard to get a house in Dublin but fuck me dude we have a whole country. I know for a fact to that you don’t need to be uni educated to make money. Labourers in Dublin are making €19 an hour and it actually could be more. If you got a trade and did an apprenticeship you’d be making way more. Dublin is in expansion mode at the moment, they’re building everywhere.

If you need to make money the opportunity is there. You just might have to do some hard work though. If you got your SAFE pass and contacted a construction company they’d take you on no problem. There is construction companies with apprenticeship training programs and you can get onto them through job seekers. There’s loads of options. Open your eyes!

Do everything in your power to not end up on the streets. Ask around and speak to friends or family members. If that's a no go then downsize as much as possible (ask some people if you can keep a few belongings in their she'd/basement).
What I would do next is check my bag, I got a change of clothes,and some comfortable clothes. Along with tolitires. Next look into transition houses, or places that will help you with a place to stay, if that's a no go then look for shelters in your area, if still no luck you can sometimes get help from churches, and if all else fails then grab a tent or look for some type of shelter, try your best to find a job or something to get out of the situation.

I don't know about your home country but out of experience I can say that homelessness can sneak up on you very quickly. Actually, no matter how long the lead up may be in retrospect there's nothing quite like the finality of that moment when you have nothing left to lose except maybe your life wandering the street or whatever.

You'll find a job, you'll make money, you'll even save money due to this intense fear I bet. I think you can take these fears and turn them to some good use. It's that survival instinct kicking in, and when you get going on that it's amazing what can come together in a snap. I've been in and pulled myself (with help of course) out of homelessness multiple times. Doesn't even have to get that far, just do what you can to make it, no matter what, with reasonable expectations, and you'll find yourself someday exceeding that most likely.

US Postal workers make good money $$$.
Yes!! That is my point!! and they are so much better than most homeless , they have benefits!1 Way too many Americans are just One medical emergency away from total Financial Destruction. Getting Sick is Not a choice people make, and getting care should NOT be a choice of a Roof over your head, and feeding your family!