• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ How do YOU feel about Leary, the McKennas and Shulgins, RamDass/Alpert, Kesey, etc.?

PriestTheyCalledHim

Bluelighter
Do you believe they are accurate about psychedelic drugs, crackpots/basketcases/burn outs, a combination of the two, or something else?

I remember as a teen and very young adult reading their books, and while they were entertaining and fun to read in class, and well meaning, they did not really accurately describe tripping on LSD or mushrooms. Ram Dass or Alpert was actually better at describing meditation techniques than writing about LSD or mushrooms. I never believed his claim some Yogi or guru in India took 250ug of LSD and claimed that nothing happened as he was so adept at meditation and yoga.

I tried reading the narcissistic word salad of Dennis McKenna and his 2012 theory in the one book he apparently wrote, but he is burnt out and full of shit.

Last edited:
The reports of their experiences don't match mine exactly, but you say "accurately describe tripping on LSD or mushrooms"--I think everyone has such a broad range of experiences on these types of drugs. Who's to say if someone describes the experience "accurately?"

I agree that Mckenna's 2012 theory is BS and I don't put stock into it, but I do find that certain insights from Ram Dass and Terence Mckenna have been really helpful for me in processing my psychedelic experiences. For instance, on a high dose of shrooms I experienced a strange awakening in which I remembered that I am the eternal one, the universe, that I created everything from myself because I was all alone and eternally in pain. That I will live out every life, that I'm telling myself stories to keep myself company. After I came down I dismissed this as a bad trip and it was lightly traumatizing to be honest, but years later listening to some of Ram Dass' ideas about the self and the universe, I realized there may have been value to what I saw and it helped me work through my anxiety about the experience.

As for Terence Mckenna, he had a lot of wacky ideas but I think some of his perspectives on history are quite interesting. The one that stands out to me is his idea that we used to be in an "age of the feminine" when we were living more in tune with nature, more reliant on the seasons and the land, and female deities were worshiped for fertility and prosperity. Now we're in "the age of the masculine" where it's all about domination, conquest, and plundering the land of its resources. The emergence of singular male kings in history coincides with the rejection of pantheistic religions and female deities in favor of a "one God" who is always represented as a patriarch. Not to say that this theory is super solid, but I find it interesting to think about.

TL;DR I don't take their word as gospel but they can be useful or interesting especially on a personal level.

mckenna was a good speaker and writer but not to take him serious.

Ram dass later said that the yogi had tricked him and instead hidden the lsd somewhere else and did not take it. Ram dass the most level headed of them all.

Leary was a fucking revolutionary genius who loved to stir up debate and hated followers he wanted people to think for themselves not listen to him or anybody else. He was a cultural icon of the era listen to his interviews he is fucking really smart.

Shulgins are amazing sasha and ann are truly special people.

Kesey loved to loss his mind taking a min of 400 ug every trip truly mad crazy guy love him aswell.

Kesey had absolutely no allusions of spiritual illumination, the Pranksters were hedonistic. When Kesey and the Pranksters visited Leary in 1964 Leary didn't want to even talk. Although Kesey and Leary were at opposite ends of the psychedelic spectrum during the 60's they came to a meeting of the minds before they died and even tripped together at least once. I would have loved to have met the Shulgins as AL-LAD and ETH-LAD are some of my favorite molecules.

Eh.
I do enjoy McKennas books, and lectures, but he's so far out there I need to eat a tab or a fistful of shrooms first.
O'Leary was, at least from what I've seen and heard about him, kind of an ass, selling acid as some sort of all encompassing healing experience at 10 bucks a pop. I think he was just out to make a dime for himself. And he seems like the guy who'd ravage girls that pass out.
Kesey, nothing but creds.
Shulgin, that's the motherfucking king right there.

Can't say anything about the others.

mckenna was a good speaker and writer but not to take him serious.

Ram dass later said that the yogi had tricked him and instead hidden the lsd somewhere else and did not take it. Ram dass the most level headed of them
Did ram finally admit this? I thought he doubled down and claimed he did it again "and I watched really carefully" so he couldn't possibly have been fooled. I remember thinking "what does every sleight of hand guy tell a mark? "Now watch this really carefully". By the time you are are watching carefully the con has already been done. I never liked his idea that Hinduism is the next step after psychedelics - I think he was unstable and insecure and looking for an identity in religion.

McKenna - good to read but pushed the aliens angle way too far - contacting entities is just one part of mushrooms/dmt not the whole point.

Leary was an interesting guy - particularly his first wife's suicide - but his writing is too much about God and again he relates acid to man made religions that have no relevance.

As for Terence Mckenna, he had a lot of wacky ideas but I think some of his perspectives on history are quite interesting. The one that stands out to me is his idea that we used to be in an "age of the feminine" when we were living more in tune with nature, more reliant on the seasons and the land, and female deities were worshiped for fertility and prosperity. Now we're in "the age of the masculine" where it's all about domination, conquest, and plundering the land of its resources. The emergence of singular male kings in history coincides with the rejection of pantheistic religions and female deities in favor of a "one God" who is always represented as a patriarch. Not to say that this theory is super solid, but I find it interesting to think about.
I got really into the literature swirling around this topic in college. The idea of villages, where in the center was a temple with all the women living there, employed at teaching and spiritual life and tending gardens and fruit trees and colonies of bees; whilst the men lived in small camps or individual home stead’s surrounding the area, providing protection for the village and serving as base camps to extend the range of hunting and gathering. When the women got too horny from mead and sacred preparations they would grab a man from his camp and lure him into the temple for lustful activities. Periodically envoys would leave with a platoon of men, to visit far off temples to trade goods and provide foreign semen for good fortune with babies. Who knows, sounds idyllic in many ways.
I gotta remember some of the other books in particular.

Shulgins are amazing sasha and ann are truly special people.

I would have loved to have met the Shulgins as AL-LAD and ETH-LAD are some of my favorite molecules.
Shulgin, that's the motherfucking king right there.
I was gonna say something like this, as to me they are a different class of drug pioneers. If you have not read their autobiographies that are half of each of Pihkal and Tihkal do yourself a favor and put down what your were reading.

I love that all these PLUR party kids and hippies sent the phish and happy hardcore and what have you all through their lives, yet they only listened to what is commonly called classical music. I don’t know many other fans of classical music but come on now, there must be a thread here somewhere.

“pairing music enhancing compounds with great composers”

I remember as a teen and very young adult reading their books, and while they were entertaining and fun to read in class, and well meaning, they did not really accurately describe tripping on LSD or mushrooms. Ram Dass or Alpert was actually better at describing meditation techniques than writing about LSD or mushrooms. I never believed his claim some Yogi or guru in India took 250ug of LSD and claimed that nothing happened as he was so adept at meditation and yoga.

The reports of their experiences don't match mine exactly, but you say "accurately describe tripping on LSD or mushrooms"--I think everyone has such a broad range of experiences on these types of drugs. Who's to say if someone describes the experience "accurately?"
I agree with @matador2r, the experience is so subjective and our baseline perspectives are so various. On top of that you got bad writers and good writers and great writers and then you got raw ability and no editor ever like poor old CD.

I like Kesey’s writings about the big Indian guy’s insanity. Best writing that resembles a psychedelic perspective, IMO.

The time I read it I had been in the tank for about a week already, totally dried out and taking 800mg of Seroquel every day to just sleep it away. I had flashbacks that were intense and undeniable when reading it. Only time I’ve had flashbacks for certain.

You have to remember that a majority of the second wave of pioneers and explorers in psychedelics were predominantly from middle class backgrounds, some even moreso.
Ram Dass for example was from a rich affluent Jewish family whose father owned a railroad company (I think? Or something similiar anyway) and his entire life prior to turning on to psychedelics was one of complete detachment from everyday reality of the average person that most of us still today experience. He lived with sufficient wealth and access to resources most people today would never afford. Tim Leary was just the same. McKenna was no different. They talk about their lives being average but compared to most, they were priveleged.

That often creates a double standard whereby you have well-to-do people telling people not to be well-to-do when they themselves wouldn't give up their lives to become less than what they already were/are at the time. Many of them simply got richer and enjoyed the riches from telling people about psychedelics while getting further and further away from reality for many other people, which inevitably would have left a smaller demographic who could relate. That demographic has always been middle-upper class people who can relate to the middle class struggles many face and this is reflected in their philosophies, beliefs, memories, experiences shared etc. Try telling a poor person to spread love not war when their entire life has been one that resembles war more than peace. But you can quite easily tell a middle class student studying at university whose had the privelege of enjoying a more than adequate upbringing with financial security and opportunities abound to spread love, peace but not war. The hypocrisy is slightly disturbing and it took me a while to realize it.

Many of the psychedelic pioneers most look up to lived prosperous lives and had come from prosperous upbringings which puts the average person listening to them at a disadvantage straight away because their lives are not the same nor ever will be. Alan Watts for example was priveleged and enjoyed private schools which at the time he was a kid was like having an automatic ticket to Harvard today. Shulgin was no different. You can't emulate these people and yet that's what most people have tried to do, at least in their 'world' view of psychedelics. They bought into the lifestyles without really understanding what those lifestyles infer. Whatever come as a byproduct of filling in the gaps with just be overcompensation. In many ways you're falling in love with the romance of it all, and not actually understanding defining your reality based on what YOU believe and what YOU think. That's also where you find a lot of contradictions in what most psychedelic teachers were preaching back then - think for yourself but also buy my books, attend my lectures and make me money. In the end people inevitably just end up following these leaders without really getting beyond the romance and the idealism they promote.

There is a big disconnect from the ideals they were teaching the philsophy that comes from that period of time, and the reality of their lives, backgrounds and their self perceived standing in society. They can talk the big talk about all the good things we all want to hear but the reality was very different.

That's not to say I disagree with them. I just think people need to know the middle class privelege that comes about that particular generation of psychedelic leaders. In fact, ALL psychedelic leaders from all waves/generations have come from middle-upper class backgrounds. This isn't a bad thing but it does reflect the detachment from their life experiences and their social standing and that of everybody else. Aldous Huxley for example, one of the first generations, was from a very reputable family in the UK whose name carries weight in various academic fields and who among the so-called elite of society. He was barely a guy you'd meet at a festival and share a joint with. He wouldn't be seen at a festival with all the regular folk. This is just the reality. You might like his talks but that's about as far as it goes.

Many were in a dream world that was held up by the fact they had enjoyed enough privelege in order to live in that dream.
It's very hard to promote your message when who you are and what you're about goes in a different direction.

In order for psychedelics to be understood, they have to be brought down to a level that is relatable to everyone. Regardless of what people think, psychedelics still come with the same elitist academic nuanced culture that unfortunately restricts many people from fully being able to integrate with what is being taught.

I think each and every single person mentioned in the title contributed great things. But, they should be understood within the context of the persons frame of reference and their own perceptions based upon their own life. How many people have been able to live the lives these people have lived? And so, you might be able to glean some great insight from them but you might never be able to understand it fully because it inevitably includes more areas of life than just assuming we are all the same and we all belong in the same group.

Last edited:
You have to remember that a majority of the second wave of pioneers and explorers in psychedelics were predominantly from middle class backgrounds, some even moreso.
Ram Dass for example was from a rich affluent Jewish family whose father owned a railroad company (I think? Or something similiar anyway) and his entire life prior to turning on to psychedelics was one of complete detachment from everyday reality of the average person that most of us still today experience. He lived with sufficient wealth and access to resources most people today would never afford. Tim Leary was just the same. McKenna was no different. They talk about their lives being average but compared to most, they were priveleged.

That often creates a double standard whereby you have well-to-do people telling people not to be well-to-do when they themselves wouldn't give up their lives to become less than what they already were/are at the time. Many of them simply got richer and enjoyed the riches from telling people about psychedelics while getting further and further away from reality for many other people, which inevitably would have left a smaller demographic who could relate. That demographic has always been middle-upper class people who can relate to the middle class struggles many face and this is reflected in their philosophies, beliefs, memories, experiences shared etc. Try telling a poor person to spread love not war when their entire life has been one that resembles war more than peace. But you can quite easily tell a middle class student studying at university whose had the privelege of enjoying a more than adequate upbringing with financial security and opportunities abound to spread love and not peace. The hypocrisy is slightly disturbing and it took me a while to realize it.

Many of the psychedelic pioneers most look up to lived prosperous lives and had come from prosperous upbringings. Alan Watts for example was priveleged and enjoyed private schools which at the time he was a kid was like having an automatic ticket to Harvard today. Shulgin was no different.

There is a big disconnect from the ideals they were teaching and the philsophy that comes from that period of time, and the reality of their lives, backgrounds and their self perceived standing in society. They can talk the big talk about all the good things we all want to hear but the reality was very different.

That's not to say I disagree with them. I just think people need to know the middle class privelege that comes about that particular generation of psychedelic leaders. In fact, ALL psychedelic leaders from all waves/generations have come from middle-upper class backgrounds. This isn't a bad thing but it does reflect the detachment from their life experiences and their social standing and that of everybody else. Aldous Huxley for example, one of the first generations, was from a very reputable family in the UK whose name carries weight in various academic fields and who among the so-called elite of society. He was barely a guy you'd meet at a festival and share a joint with. He wouldn't be seen at a festival with all the regular folk. This is just the reality. You might like his talks but that's about as far as it goes.

Many were in a dream world that was held up by the fact they had enjoyed enough privelege in order to live in that dream.
It's very hard to promote your message when who you are and what you're about goes in a different direction.

In order for psychedelics to be understood, they have to be brought down to a level that is relatable to everyone. Regardless of what people think, psychedelics still come with the same elitist academic nuanced culture that unfortunately restricts many people from fully being able to integrate with what is being taught.

I think each and every single person mentioned in the title contributed great things. But, they should be understood within the context of the persons frame of reference and their own perceptions based upon their own life. How many people have been able to live the lives these people have lived? And so, you might be able to glean some great insight from them but you might never be able to understand it fully because it inevitably includes more areas of life than just assuming we are all the same and we all belong in the same group.
You’ve convinced me you are right with you facts, but I missed the point after reading it twice. Is it that their experiences are too detached from the experiences of the average person as to be promotable and the basis for a movement to “mainstream” the proletariat’s interests and access to psychedelic compounds?

You’ve convinced me you are right with you facts, but I missed the point after reading it twice. Is it that their experiences are too detached from the experiences of the average person as to be promotable and the basis for a movement to “mainstream” the proletariat’s interests and access to psychedelic compounds?

My point is people buy into these beliefs, philosophies, lifestyles, call them what will, because they want a romantic relationship with the idealism and escape from reality they provide. They put people on pedastals because they think it will take them away from something they themselves have in their life right now that they don't want and bring them closer to things they do want. It's a form of escapism essentially and it very rarely works out.

There is a difference between the romance and glitz and glamour and pop culture myth and Hollywood sparkle, and the reality behind the scenes. The former and latter are two very different things. When the red carpet is rolled away, everything is normal but that's when most people don't give a fuck and that's where they are mistaken. For many people they bought into the script without understanding what it implied. It was a break from reality, not an opportunity to transform their own realities beyond the psychedelics themselves.

And from a perspective of privelege, it was the illusion that you could transcend the structure of society and make everybody the same and we could live in an ideal world that broke down all these boundaries. Sounds great on paper but it didn't actually work out. The hidden history of the psychedelic revolution some years after will tell you that. Societal problems still existed, even when they were psychedelic. Still though, that's something a priveleged person will always make the mistake of doing because for the priveleged person they are naturally out of touch with how the rest of the world who are not priveleged function. They profess a way of life that only people among their nuanced demographic may be able to enjoy and afford themselves.
But when you've got people not priveleged following those that are, you also have an equally concerning dynamic where they are wanting for another life that gives them this escape from their current one while offering absolutely no opportunity for that to happen. People are full of all the mantras and positive philosophy and psychology and perhaps even insights, but no actual applicable practical way of applying it to their lives and to others lives as well. They say all the right things but cannot actualize and realize the end goal. And in many ways, it's because it was never meant to happen as they thought it was.

You have the priveleged pretending they don't want to be priveleged anymore while still enjoying their privelege while saying this. And then you have the poorer people trying to be priveleged and trying to resonate with the teachings of the priveleged teachers and finding the idealism and romanticism and dreamy vision of the world doesn't match the reality no matter how hard they try. You have people believing the teachings of these leaders was universal but in reality their teachings were specific to a very inflexible and rigid niche. Their teachings were projections in most cases as opposed to universal truths and where they were universal truths, what use are they in the bigger picture? That isn't to say they aren't or weren't transferrable but it goes without saying much of what was taught was done from a position of already assumed security, wealth, prosperity, social status etc and with the grandiose vision of changing the world. Again, it sounds good on paper. But when you're integrating this into the big wide world, reality soon comes creeping in.

I mean, a lot of the stuff preached during those times was valuable but it's how that value is added to your life, not as a consumer of the culture you're involved in ie the psychedelic culture because then you're immediately a victim just like you were before you decided to escape from one reality to another. When you simply assume there is a new world waiting for you in some mystical, romantic and surreal escape like with the psychedelic sixties you're setting yourself up to lose your footing pretty quickly. And that is what happened, if you ask lots of people who fell for the grand vision yet never fufilled it. Sure it was an adventure but a short lived one. Challenge everything and don't settle for the charm and intellect of those who speak well and know how to string words together. Find a way to integrate it into the world around you and for you to be at that point grounded in who you are, what that means and where you are going. And to understand much of the psychedelic movement was set in a period in time where people really believed they could live in that world forever based on their romantic visions and idealism, detouring away from reality (because they were priveleged enough to do so) and believing the rest of the world could simply follow suit to regardless of all the other inevitable factors involved.

The psychedelic counter culture was a drop in the ocean, not the actual ocean itself. People are often transported under the illusion they are now in another world only to find that their psychedelic trips have to end at one point and all the audiobooks and lectures of Alan Watts won't last forever, all the books on comparative religious studies and philosophy etc can't sustain you forever, the honeymoon period has to end eventually. The drop in the ocean cannot keep them afloat yet they hope for something new to keep them going. Little do they know it was not about the being involved in the movementt but about the underlying awareness they represented. And for many people they were never able to get this message in the first place, let alone get past the first hurdles of understanding what it all means. There is the innate and grandiose flaw in the psychedelic mindset many people seem to have.

It was never intended for all audiences despite the mistaken belief they were.
What was intended for all audiences though was the material gleaned, not the actual superficial relationship to an identity. What bugs me the most are people who grow long hair or have interesting facial hair and wear weird clothes and call themselves hippies or hipsters. They are probably the most corrosive people you can meet. They have absolutely no idea what they represent other than the fact they assume dressing a certain way automatically infers they are a certain type of person. The psychedelic movement and the literature attached is very much like that in lots of ways and it takes quite a lot of restraint, self awareness, congruence and self acceptance not to buy into the superficial stuff. Lots of people acting but very people actually being and becoming. That's another typical middle class dilemma - the belief that you can simply assume a role and it becomes reality, or you can buy into one. That's present in the undertones of what represents the psychedelic movement and it's usually one of narcissism instead of what it should be, which is the opposite.

Leary: smart, but too smart for his own good. Full of shit. Cultist. Set this whole thing back decades with his bullshit. Was involved with a lot of sketchy shit from the CIA to the Weather Underground. The Psychedelic Experience is a foundational text but really, fuck that guy. The book was more Metzner really and it shows in the places where it is sane.

Alpert: put his Leary energy into religion. where Leary was grandiose and messianic Alpert was very much the opposite, wanted to find something to submerge himself in instead of making it all about him. Found that in Hindu charlatans who were all to eager to mold his brilliant mind. Leary started a cult, alpert joined one. Naive but well intentioned. True believer. Be Here Now is iconic and the book my hippie mom bought for me when she found out I was doing acid.

Kesey: an absolute mad lad.. also iconic, but very much a product of his time. Foundational to the counterculture though, set a pattern that continues down to this day with regards to how the drugs are used, distributed, and viewed within a cultural context. With Leary, although they were not connected, very much the opposite, pretty much created a lot of the cultural baggage that surrounds psychedelics. As we can't take them void of context, this informs our tripping down to this day.

Terrance McKenna: lunatic, but also smart. Less culty energy than Leary but presented his own shit too. Theories aren't worth a dime but are fun to talk about when you're high. Was way ahead of his time with his cyberdelic-techno-utopian shit (anticipating shit like early Wired magazine and John Perry Barlow) but look where all that optimism about technology got us. The Internet is a nightmare and drugs are a nightmare, turns out Terrance was wrong about both. He was full of shit but came by it honestly, drank his own Kool Aid so to speak, had an unusual, bright and inquisitive mind that went down some bizarre paths.

Dennis McKenna: more staid than Terrance. Still believes some weird shit. More grounded than his brother though, has some good "hard" type research. His work on cultivating P. cubensis was seminal for the hobby and the industry. Smart, very nice guy. Approachable. Will talk with you about stuff at length if you pique his interest with something.

Shulgin: obvious favorite for Bluelight. Rare non-lunatic but prone to flights of fancy. I could do without the more whimsical aspects of his books but they are obviously foundational and one of a kind. Absolutely brilliant, a unique mind. Without him none of the modern scene would exist. Legitimately changed the world, without a doubt the most influential figure in the drug culture since Leary. Weird connections (Bohemian Grove, military-industrial complex) for the conspiracy minded. Was a very nice guy, also approachable. Humble and had a sense of humor. Towards the end was not all there cognitively sad to say but even with all that was a brilliant guy to hear give a talk or to speak with. Was doing his thing till death did him part. RIP.

Last edited:
My point is people buy into these beliefs, philosophies, lifestyles, call them what will, because they want a romantic relationship with the idealism and escape from reality they provide. They put people on pedastals because they think it will take them away from something they themselves have in their life right now that they don't want and bring them closer to things they do want. It's a form of escapism essentially and it very rarely works out.

There is a difference between the romance and glitz and glamour and pop culture myth and Hollywood sparkle, and the reality behind the scenes. The former and latter are two very different things. When the red carpet is rolled away, everything is normal but that's when most people don't give a fuck and that's where they are mistaken. For many people they bought into the script without understanding what it implied. It was a break from reality, not an opportunity to transform their own realities beyond the psychedelics themselves.

And from a perspective of privelege, it was the illusion that you could transcend the structure of society and make everybody the same and we could live in an ideal world that broke down all these boundaries. Sounds great on paper but it didn't actually work out. The hidden history of the psychedelic revolution some years after will tell you that. Societal problems still existed, even when they were psychedelic. Still though, that's something a priveleged person will always make the mistake of doing because for the priveleged person they are naturally out of touch with how the rest of the world who are not priveleged function. They profess a way of life that only people among their nuanced demographic may be able to enjoy and afford themselves.
But when you've got people not priveleged following those that are, you also have an equally concerning dynamic where they are wanting for another life that gives them this escape from their current one while offering absolutely no opportunity for that to happen. People are full of all the mantras and positive philosophy and psychology and perhaps even insights, but no actual applicable practical way of applying it to their lives and to others lives as well. They say all the right things but cannot actualize and realize the end goal. And in many ways, it's because it was never meant to happen as they thought it was.

You have the priveleged pretending they don't want to be priveleged anymore while still enjoying their privelege while saying this. And then you have the poorer people trying to be priveleged and trying to resonate with the teachings of the priveleged teachers and finding the idealism and romanticism and dreamy vision of the world doesn't match the reality no matter how hard they try. You have people believing the teachings of these leaders was universal but in reality their teachings were specific to a very inflexible and rigid niche. Their teachings were projections in most cases as opposed to universal truths and where they were universal truths, what use are they in the bigger picture? That isn't to say they aren't or weren't transferrable but it goes without saying much of what was taught was done from a position of already assumed security, wealth, prosperity, social status etc and with the grandiose vision of changing the world. Again, it sounds good on paper. But when you're integrating this into the big wide world, reality soon comes creeping in.

I mean, a lot of the stuff preached during those times was valuable but it's how that value is added to your life, not as a consumer of the culture you're involved in ie the psychedelic culture because then you're immediately a victim just like you were before you decided to escape from one reality to another. When you simply assume there is a new world waiting for you in some mystical, romantic and surreal escape like with the psychedelic sixties you're setting yourself up to lose your footing pretty quickly. And that is what happened, if you ask lots of people who fell for the grand vision yet never fufilled it. Sure it was an adventure but a short lived one. Challenge everything and don't settle for the charm and intellect of those who speak well and know how to string words together. Find a way to integrate it into the world around you and for you to be at that point grounded in who you are, what that means and where you are going. And to understand much of the psychedelic movement was set in a period in time where people really believed they could live in that world forever based on their romantic visions and idealism, detouring away from reality (because they were priveleged enough to do so) and believing the rest of the world could simply follow suit to regardless of all the other inevitable factors involved.

The psychedelic counter culture was a drop in the ocean, not the actual ocean itself. People are often transported under the illusion they are now in another world only to find that their psychedelic trips have to end at one point and all the audiobooks and lectures of Alan Watts won't last forever, all the books on comparative religious studies and philosophy etc can't sustain you forever, the honeymoon period has to end eventually. The drop in the ocean cannot keep them afloat yet they hope for something new to keep them going. Little do they know it was not about the being involved in the movementt but about the underlying awareness they represented. And for many people they were never able to get this message in the first place, let alone get past the first hurdles of understanding what it all means. There is the innate and grandiose flaw in the psychedelic mindset many people seem to have.

What was intended for all audiences though was the material gleaned, not the actual superficial relationship to an identity. What bugs me the most are people who grow long hair or have interesting facial hair and wear weird clothes and call themselves hippies or hipsters. They are probably the most corrosive people you can meet. They have absolutely no idea what they represent other than the fact they assume dressing a certain way automatically infers they are a certain type of person. The psychedelic movement and the literature attached is very much like that in lots of ways and it takes quite a lot of restraint, self awareness, congruence and self acceptance not to buy into the superficial stuff. Lots of people acting but very people actually being and becoming. That's another typical middle class dilemma - the belief that you can simply assume a role and it becomes reality, or you can buy into one. That's present in the undertones of what represents the psychedelic movement and it's usually one of narcissism instead of what it should be, which is the opposite.
Like this post very much. The class based insights are very thoughtful and accurate as far as they go. I'd slightly differ about some people's backgrounds though. The Psychedelic Movement, capitalized, is extremely bourgeois, but people take drugs in different contexts depending on their backgrounds. The workhorse of the psychedelic movement, at least prior to being able to get whatever you want shipped to your home, were the gypsy-living tour kids and their counterparts in the rave scene, they are often from more of a lower middle class background and do bring a different energy to it. They sort of perform the hippie thing but not necessarily inhabiting the universalistic peace and love thing and the more introspective analysis paralysis trap. They bring a more primitive, tribal energy sometimes with a gangsters swagger. Their whole attitude towards the actual subjective experience of taking psychedelics is different too, hard to quantify but I'd say it definitely features less intellectual masturbation and grandiosity, but still definitely chasing peaks.

All this shit is worthy of a PhD thesis. The effect of the Internet drug trade has got to be big, too. I got out before this was a thing (at least for the end user, something that started with the Silk Road) so I don't know what effects it's having on the ground other than a lot of kids probably getting put out of work. If you're ordering shit online and your only context is reading sites like this or Erowid or whatever then that's going to have a profound effect on how you experience the drugs. Not only will reading endless trip reports and discussions of drug effects shape your subjective experience but doing it without IRL social context I would imagine heightens the mental-masturbatory effects on the ego. I imagine a scenario from to the beginning of ordering shit from an email address to taking it by yourself and constantly within the trip contextualizing it based on shit you've read. I sort of used to do this in the sense that I'd read up and post on BL about doing new drugs but by necessity my interactions with drugs touched the real world and interacting with people rather than having it all "automated" as you might say. Not having even this sort of grounding aspect does seem a gateway to the sort of effete, bourgeois pseudo-intellectualism and ouroboric navel gazing you discuss.

I didn't really like that book "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test", but one part I did enjoy in the book was that anecdote about when Kesey and the Merry Pranksters went up to visit Alpert and Leary in (iirc?) Millbrook NY. Leary wouldn't even meet his pilgrims; Alpert did come down to meet and interact with Kesey and co, but he was portrayed as kind of being cold and seemingly uncomfortable during the experience...it was definitely a situation portrayed as the intellectuals being scandalized by the gauche hedonists

I don't know much about Kesey other than what was in The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, but he seemed like kind of a cool guy...definitely a flawed person, but everyone has flaws, and he seemed to have some strong personal qualities, a very charismatic individual it seemed like. He was an excellent writer, too, at least judging by the single book I've read of his ("One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest").

This is all very true. 👍

I didn't really like that book "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test", but one part I did enjoy in the book was that anecdote about when Kesey and the Merry Pranksters went up to visit Alpert and Leary in (iirc?) Millbrook NY. Leary wouldn't even meet his pilgrims; Alpert did come down to meet and interact with Kesey and co, but he was portrayed as kind of being cold and seemingly uncomfortable during the experience...it was definitely a situation portrayed as the intellectuals being scandalized by the gauche hedonists

I don't know much about Kesey other than what was in The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, but he seemed like kind of a cool guy...definitely a flawed person, but everyone has flaws, and he seemed to have some strong personal qualities, a very charismatic individual it seemed like. He was an excellent writer, too, at least judging by the single book I've read of his ("One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest").
It has been almost 20 years since I read the book, but didn't Leary go onto the furthur bus and talk to Kesey and everyone else? He did not invite them into the Millbrook estate.

Alexander Shulgin is way up there with Nichols and Hofmann, a league miles above and beyond the others.

McKenna is a perfect reason NOT to take psychedelics.

The Pranksters were the precursors to rave culture.

Leary.. I loved him as a teen interested in psychedelics and reading his stuff but.. seriously.. he was so incredibly irresponsible, using his psychological arsenal to entice kids to run away from home to become homeless drug users in San Francisco. A pied piper and self proclaimed High Priest of LSD.