• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids hoping to get help with oxycodone withdrawal

Kevin_W

Greenlighter
Hi all. I hope I am in the right category, if not, MODS, please put my thread where it belongs. Thank you.

In early February i was in a car accident. i was a passanger. Long story short, after morphine they put me oxycodone 10-20 mg every 4 hours. I helped to the point that I thought I dont need them but I was wrong, So months passedand tolerance built.I was using 40 mg 3x per day. My doc was OK with it. I never went higher than that. I noticed where it is leading me. I figured I will get hooked mentally because I got anxiety and depression. My pain is almost completely gone. It gets worse when I stop the drug but thats normal. The pain from the car crash is gone. So it is time to quit.

Cold Turkey attempts only lasted 1 day and i felt like a shit. I also take higher doeses of klonopin which I have for 10 years, for anxiety.

My doctor is no longer here and his replacement doctor has no triplicates. I went to another doctor, explained my situation and he said he will give me 120 pills x10 mg each to withdraw. No direction on how to. he even have me ordered 40 pills x10 mg each every week but i understand him and that will start on friday because I told him I have some pills left which I do.

I have 18x10mg pills left until Friday.If I take 4 pills(40 mg) sunday, monday, tuesday wednasday, and 20 mg on thursday, will that help with my withdrawal?

Would that be better than cold turkey? Hospital is out of question as i got my job recently and have family to support.

Any suggestion on how to spread these 180 mg for the next 5 days? Anything to take with it? I am 41 but I never smoked nor drank alcohol but was thinking to have a beer at evening?

Please someone help me.

PS. I will quit my benzos too but THAT will be hell. But at least I have my shrink to monitor me.

Hi,

Welcome to BL.

Great you have a shrink … as primary docs can be quite naive about addictive meds.

I would definitely taper down, that's what I did… I would call your doc though for withdrawal medications. If you are taking benzo I'm not sure about Gabapentin, but Clonidine would be very helpful.
I would really ask your doc to switch you over to a longer acting opiate to taper with for 7 days or so, instead of those pills.
If he/she won't do that…. there are many otcs available. Cough medicine really helps, but don't take it for too long. I absolutely wouldn't drink, there will be a rebound effect with alcohol involving blood pressure. That's what Clonidine is for.

You could do a rapid taper or spread them out and do a longer taper.

The Thomas Recipe is somewhat helpful when you do quit and could start some of the vitamins now.
I did it all, as I wanted OFF opiates! I would google it.
Here are some supplements. "L Glutamine" I highly recommend also.

Immodiun AD
L-Tyrosine
Mineral supplement that contains at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium. You may not find a supplement that contains all of these together. If not, then buy separately.
Mag64 or Slomag is a good source of magnesium.
Vitamin B6 or the more bioavailable P-5-P.
Access to hot showers or baths.
Gatoraid, or liquid with electrolytes.

Good luck,
Smoky :)

Your best bet is to do a quick taper you say you have 180mgs? You say 40mgs will hold you for a day? If so take 40mgs one day then take 35mgs the next day then 30mg, 25mgs, 20mgs, 15mgs, 10mgs, and lastly 5mgs. This would be the best way to taper if you don't have access to Suboxone. It will be tough that's an extremely fast taper with short acting meds which make things even harder you really should have more meds to make a longer taper plan like a month or so but if your doctor won't help you then I guess that's not possible. Its easier to taper with longer acting meds such as buprenorphine but if you don't have that this is your best bet. I would ask your doctor for clonadine to help after the taper and even during the taper to help you sleep at night and keep your blood pressure stable. Clonadine is not a narcotic it is a blood pressure medication but it should be tapered if taken for a over a week so you don't have any issues with your heart beating too fast.

Your detox will be a week of no sleep and lots of pain/depression but just keep in mind it only gets worse if you don't stop the hole only gets deeper. Whatever you do don't give up and switch to heroin like I did. I was stupid once i found out heroin was basically the same thing as oxy i started in on that but I regretted it soon after. Not good for body and soul. Your mind will create pain (phantom pain) to make you think you need meds but that passes after detox is over with so stick through it and tell yourself its the pills trying to trick you.

Good luck any more questions or if you need support I'm always here for you:D

We also have a recovery support forum section that may be useful for you.

Last edited:
i'm assuming you have a job since you said you have a family to support, so when you run out i would request an additional 2 or 3 days off that are connected to a weekend, like thursday and friday. i would do this because you can pretty much guarantee that you will not be getting any sleep for the first night or two due to RLS and bowel issues. hopefully you have completed some sort of taper like the one listed above, otherwise you will be doing a full-blown cold turkey, which is nothing short of being thrown into hell. luckily the physical withdrawal should not last more than 4 or 5 days, but of course this varies from person to person.

the daytime won't be nearly as bad as the night, every time i've gone through a withdrawal i usually do most of my sleeping during the day. to help with sleep i would opt for lyrica over gabapentin if you can get it prescribed, but be careful if it's your first time taking either one because this shit will put you on your ass and you will not be able to function correctly for a few hours. the loperamide will help with the shits.

my sleep ritual is always the same: i take 225mg of lyrica and wait for about an hour until i feel like i could nod off(but of course i can't because my legs are hurting), then i run a hot bath with epsom salt and sit in there for about 30 minutes(DO NOT FALL ASLEEP IN THE TUB). when i get out my legs don't hurt anymore and i'm still super sleepy from the lyrica. this relief only lasts about 5-10 minutes before my legs start to hurt again though. so i use this 5-10 minute window to try to nod off and once i'm asleep the lyrica keeps me asleep. this is the only way i can get sleep during withdrawal.

good luck

Last edited:
^^thats great advice I have never used lyrica myself but hear it works wonders for opiate withdrawal. That's a good way to fall asleep we all know how hard the night can be when its just us and our thoughts driving us crazy.

^^thats great advice I have never used lyrica myself but hear it works wonders for opiate withdrawal. That's a good way to fall asleep we all know how hard the night can be when its just us and our thoughts driving us crazy.

if someone ever creates a topical lotion or something that mimics the relief of a hot bath that person will become a millionaire overnight

So you are getting more pills on Friday correct?18 divided by 5 = 3.6 so you could take 4 pills the 1st day and 3 or 3 and a half the others until you get your new script.I've done a LOT of opiates for a long time and would strongly suggest that you speak with your doctor about getting more than 120 pills for your kick.After a surgery I had years ago the surgeon had me on lots of high dose oxycodone for months (it was a very invasive,painful surgery followed by a lot of painful physical therapy in an effort to make it so I could walk halfway normal again) and he knew I would have some issues with coming off months of oxy so he devised a pretty neat taper plan to make it as easy as possible.Once it came time (in his mind) for me to taper from the oxy he first started by giving me a couple of prescriptions for regular Percocet 5s (I can't recall exact numbers of pills per script or even how long I was on each med because it's been a long time).He then gave me a couple of scripts for Vicodin ES (extra strength) followed by a couple for regular Vicodin 5/500s.Finally he gave me 2 scripts for Tylenol 3 with codeine.The 1st was for I don't know how many but I think the second was for 12.I would speak to my doctor about a similar plan since it gradually gives you less and less of weaker and weaker opiates until you are opiate free.It was still rough though,and I was much younger then,in my early 20s then (your age now).Both the withdrawls and the pain are much harder on you the older you get so If I were you I would definitely speak with my doctor about a similar taper,1200mg of oxy isn't much of a taper plan,especially if you've been on it for a while (several months or more).I hate to be the one to tell you but,depending on the nature and extent of your injuries and surgeries,you may find that you have chronic recurring pain down the road from now and may even find yourself eventually needing some form of chronic pain management.Also,and I know many will not be able to disagree with me fast enough,but if you suffer from chronic anxiety I would not be so quick to want to stop Klonopin if it helps you.I hope your recovery goes well and you don't end up needing medications for life.It sucks to actually need medications but unfortunately some of us find ourselves in that condition.May your taper and recovery go well.Feel free to PM me if it starts getting tough.I've kicked lots of different opiates many times over the years and have a lot of experience with such matters so I'm here if you need me.

Sincerely,downerhead.

Hi all. Thanks for replies. I didn't expect so much support.

Well, 18 pills didnt last long so today is day 1 w/o oxycodone. Its noon and sunny. I feel OK. Too early for the storm. I am not too prepared. 3 days ago another doctor gave me gabapentin for nerve pain. I didn't know it MAY be helpful for withdrawal. It say take 100 ml 1x3 a day for a week then 2x3and then 3x3. Yeah right I took 700 ml just an hour ago. Took an aleve. clonopin and 400 mg of tramadol. I will see when my doctor is in to ask for lyrica. I will not quit klonopin. that will be a year long taper. if you think oxy withdrawal is hard, try clonopin withdrawal from higher doses. People did die from it. Those who dont some hallucinated and had no peace. IDK how long it lasted.

downerhead, if my symptoms are that bad by friday, i will do a different taper plan.

I will mentin this. I believe most of you know it. Brain plays a major role here. See, I locked my mind that i will never touch opiates again and my symptoms are minimal if any yet. When I switch my brain that i will get some on friday, i start shaking, So I will try and think positive. I know once i ran out day earlier and until the next day i had no piece. When I went to pharmacy they said wair 1 hour all my symptoms were gone because i knew im getting it in an hour. If she said come tomorrow i would continue to suffer.

I still 3 maybe even 3 options here. 1.Tommorow I could ask the pharmacy to ask the doc to give me the pills before friday. 2 I could wait until friday and continue with tapering or quit forever.

Thanks everybody, your help means a lot to me.

Update. ( now i need help from you)

I went to the doc and said i want to wean off and cant do it with the quantity he gave me. I said how can I withdraw with 120 pillsx10 mg of oxycodone when I take 12 per day, thats still almost cold Turkey or a painful wean off. He said ok I will give you more and we are done with oxycodone. (means dont come again to ask for it). He gave me 400 pills x10mg plus 60x60 mg each of oxyneo. (similar to oxycontin but harder for abusers).

Having take 120 mg daily (sometimes more especially a month ago) I need a plan to wean off. so having 4000 mg oxycodone and 3600 mg of the long lasting one I think should be enough.

I took this morning 400 mg of tramadol and even they shouldnt get mixed i took my dose of 40 mg od oxycodone.

I need you guys if you can, if you are willing, if you have time and if you know how, to write a chart on how to safely wean off.

Thank you.

PS. To the person who sent me a PM offering to sell drugs, the answer is, I would rather go through hell than purchase illegal drugs and if I knew you with evidence I would report you to the authority. I have family, daughter and mother with cancer and you trying to sell me drugs? SOB!!!

Hey,

First off feel free to PM me at anytime. I am not sure what country you are in however tomorrow the first thing you should do is get ahold of a doctor that has a license for suboxone (buperenorphine), also please please read up on Opiod-induced Hyperalgesia here is a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid-induced_hyperalgesia

Opiod induced hyperalgesia is similar to how the human body makes callus's on the hands and feet. Callus's are formed when the skin and certain area of the body are stressed, now relate this to opiod use.

With the amount of oxycodone you are taking this is what is happening; every pill you take will work your receptors and they will in turn your spinal cord will develop more μ-opioid receptors. This means you need more medication and withdrawal is much more difficult.

Suboxone may save your life if you have a family and are taking opiods and benzo's you do run the risk of heart failure.

Best of luck and just think of your family and hang in there.

Pls stop taking 400mg. Of tramadol at a time , that's borderline seizure inducing ..... (And tram will make wds worse )
K - with that off my mind ; )
You have plenty at hand to use to ween down if you need to - it's hard to not just eat them up every day , but it will put you right back in the boat you were just in. You are lucky to have a family that depends on you for motivation !!
Just drop 10 mg - go 5-6 days - drop another 5-10 - go 5-6 days ....... On & on - you just have to fight those Friday evenings you want a little more buzz - occupy yourself , take the fam. To the movies , for a hike - whatever the fuck you need to do to keep busy

Keep those gabapentin & benzos you mentioned , start eating vit. C daily , eating healthy ....... When you do jump off , gabapentin during the day & bedtime - benzo for sleep ...... The feeling you get of Being free of them is a huge help within itself - you'll see

You just need to fight for it man , it's easier than your mind is letting you know - just fight that feeling in the meantime and get weened down !!
Give them all to your wife and have her give you a daily supply every morning if that's what you have to do , whatever it takes !!

Dear earthbounded. Thank you for support. I dont know anything about hyperalgesia and why should I have it. Some people take higher doses than me and I am one of those who is determined to quit.

May I ask why do I take suboxone? Ther are just like opioids and habit forming like opioids and can overdose on it and have problem getting off. Isnt it better to simply wean off to the dose where I can quit for good?

Klonopin I take for 10 years and would give my hand to quit it but I cant. I doubt its a good idea to quit them together. After I quit oxycodone then I will quit klonopin. Klonopin doesnt help me, its just that my body is used to it. But I have a shrink who will guide me. Then I will quit celexa.

I have depression and and anxiety since I was 12 and now im 41. Will I be able to manage it without antidepressants? We will see but I doubt it.

I WILL quit oxycodone starting tomorrow and klonopin is next. I hope I can live without benzos. If I dont get a suggestion here on how to quit opioids, I will do it on my own, 20mg down every week.I have a huge willpower to quit. My pain is gone I have no reason to stay on it.I get only pain all over my body when I try to quit.

They say people cant taper down because their body needs it and they grab more. As long as I have no horrible pain (original pain) I am not gonna grab for more. I can take mental pain if it happens. I have mental pain for almost 3 decades. Whats 2 week extra?

Thank you thank you thank you I cup. Thats how I will do. Since I take them 3xday, I will first eliminate the noon time. Then will work on morning and evening at the same time.

I just need to correct you that I dont do it for "buzz". Once im off of them completely then a beer ever once in a while will give me buzz although I never drunk. Some ppl with depression find narcotics to help them. In my case side effects are horrible.

Also I will add this. If I lived alone I would quit cold turkey.I would suffer cty and whatever it takes. But having 3 kids 1 with cancer and mother with cancer I cant afford to suffer at the moment. Wean off is the way to go.

Btw, no more tramadol. I will keep gabapentin and see what else is good. The mefs will be in my wifes posession. Not that I dont trust myself but feels better when you have support. I owe her so much.

Look at all the reasons you just posted to do it ! Really , good for you man !

I tried trams to cut down once , their serotonin re uptake shit is no good at all for anyone seriously trying to clean up .....

Do some google searchin on the gabapentin , since using them to quit opi's , I talked with my dr. And got a script for them , they have sooo many off label uses - major help w my depression , anxiety and migraines ....... But just for wd , they were an absolute lifesaver - unreal
I'm almost 40 - 2 kids , have to be " super dad" after work ( or at least fun ) - I just did this 10 mos. ago after a 5.5 yr run - it really is easier than your mind will let ya know ...... Honestly it is - weaning down is the key - you are all set up mr.

Interesting comment above about the spinal analgesia. I've had surgeries in my cspine section as my arm was affected and still sometimes can't feel it, and my hand. But, when I was on opiates… my whole upper left side of body would be numb, tingling and in pain… all the way down my arm til I took my first dose from withdrawal, in AM, sometimes waking up at 4 am to use to make my arm have feeling in it.
Only one side where my injury once was in spine. 10 times as bad as is now…
And nothing would bring the feeling back in my arm until I used. Thus I had to taper down slow before I quit..

So so glad that is over… Still have a lot of pain, but the opiates increased my nerve issues in upper spine big time!

Last edited:
Ok so you are taking 40 mg 3x per day I'm assuming, as you said you take 120/ day

So tomorrow, take 35 mg 3x per day. Do this for 7 days. (4000-[105*7])= 3265 mg left

The 8th day lower to 30 mg 3 x per day. Do this for 7 days. (3265-[90*7])= 2635. Mg left

The 15 th day lower to 25 mg 3 x per day. Do this for 7 days. ( 2635-[75*7])= 2110 mg left

The 22nd day lower to 1 60 mg OxyNeo in the am. (30 mg of that is instant release; 30 will release over the next 12 hours. If needed, take a 10-20 mg dose of IR this week at night. But completely eliminate your mid-day dose. This will be harder mentally, as you are used to 3x per day dosing. (53 OxyNeo pills left at end of week.

The following week try to just take the one OxyNeo in the morning; if you must dose at night, only 1 10 mg pill.

The week after that take 3/4 of an OxyNeo one time per day in am

The week after that take 1/2 of an OxyNeo

The week after that take 1/4 of an OxyNeo (at this point you are taking about 7.5 mg instant release and 7.5 spread over next 12 hours )

The following week take one 10 mg IR in morning.

The following week take 7.5 mg IR

The following week take 5 mg IR

The following week take 2.5 mg IR

Jump off....

That schedule will still leave you extra. That's in case you need to extend any of the weeks. This should be a pretty painless taper...

Thank you very much CD for yout time and effort to write me such a detailed suggestions. I printed your post off. However, how do I get oxyneo broken? They are too solid. I will search internet again but do you know how to cut it precisely?

I live in the US where we have the OP version that are not crushable but are able to cut into pieces... I guess if you can't do that you can substitute 2x a day dosing with the IR... Can you split them even in half?

If not i can revise that to use those up earlier then switch to the IR. figured it would be easier this way because you are used to the 3x per day regimen...

If you have sharp scissors, Neo are no problem to cut into halves (and quarters).

Not sure if a pill cutter would work for those but could be bought (cheaply), at any pharmacy.