• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Help cutting almost 2 years of Tramadol addiction

Anything that affects the opioid receptors are habit-forming, and addictive.

Anything that affects the opioid receptors are habit-forming, and addictive.

GAH! I'm not trying to be nit picky, but it is not true that anything that affects the opioid receptors is habit forming. It may be true that all mu-opioid agonists are habit forming, and research suggests that delta-opioid agonists cause psychological dependence, but kappa-opioid agonists are most certainly not habit forming. They actually cause depressive symptoms. These chemicals are purportedly great painkillers, but unfortunately we cannot use them at this time because all of the currently available drugs cross the blood-brain barrier, causing depression. There is research in progress that seeks to find a kappa-opioid agonist that does not cross this barrier, so that it will only bind opioid receptors in the body.

Also, mu- and delta- antagonists bind to the opioid receptors, but they do not cause habituation.

http://www.opioids.com/kappa/depressive.html

Ok, so here is my final Tramadol withdrawal diary:

I was asked to cease Tramadol pain management to reassess pain.

I had been using 300mg SR/day for 3 years. I did not miss a dose.

Here was my doctors instructions to stop using Slow Release Tramadol:

Week 0 150mg SR morning, 150mg SR evening;
Week 1 150mg SR morning, 100mg SR evening;
Week 2 100mg SR morning, 100mg SR evening;
Week 3 100mg SR morning, 50mg SR evening;
Week 4 50mg SR morning, 50mg SR evening;
Week 5 50mg SR morning, 0mg evening;
Week 6 0mg morning, 0mg evening.

Well, I agreed to this schedule and said that I would come back for a review visit every 2 weeks.

After starting my discontinuation schedule this is how it panned out:

Day 0 150mg SR morning, 150mg SR evening;
Day 1 150mg SR morning, 100mg SR evening;
Day 2 100mg SR morning, 100mg SR evening;
Day 3 100mg SR morning, 50mg SR evening;
Day 4 50mg SR morning, 50mg SR evening;
Day 5 50mg SR morning, 0mg evening;
Day 6 0mg morning, 0mg evening.

So, I roughly turned 1 month of pain into 1 week of pain.

And as it turns out, quitting was not that hard.

The worst side effect from Tramadol discontinuation was without doubt the "brain zaps". These continued till day 15. (Approx 2 weeks)

I have not had any problems with depression, but my pain has returned... the reason I started Tramadol in the first place.

The verdict:
For the pain relief provided this drug has very few withdrawal effects.

If you have ever discontinued an SSRI or an SNRI the discontinuation syndrome is almost identical. When you know what it is it does not bother you... well, not me at least.

I was able to go to work as normal, and this surprised me as I am a Project Manager. This indicates to me at least that Tramadol can safely be stopped and dealt with whilst still continuing with every day life.

The drugs that the doctor scripted for discontinuation symptoms were:
Alprazolam 0.5mg
Clonidine 150ug
Paracetamol (APAP) 500mg

If you would like my actual diary of symptoms feel free to PM me and I will email you a copy.

I just hope that this gives others some idea of how easy it is to quit Tramadol if you really want to.

Not every Tramadol withdrawal experience is negative.

Nab

I've dropped 10 10mg vals in a night and been fine and dandy!
that was on k like the third time trying them!

Hi Delphinen
As doctors were soon to discover, this brand new, synthetic opioid - " Tramadol is very safe , not addictive, and has been effective for all types of pain!" BULLSHIT.......soon they had a nightmare on their hands of a global proportion!
I can only empathise with you, I'm on 100mg x4 daily. The regular dose I believe. I am also at the stage where I want to stop - I watched a woman on YouTube on her Day 3 of her going cold turkey, and it frightened me to death. I think the screams of that woman will remain in my head till the day I die. I'm not going down that road, slow and steady for me. You could get your capsules for tomorrow, take half the powder out of one and keep safe. Mix your Tramadol up and you won't even know when you're having the low dose during the day. Give it 10 - 14 days and repeat. I think I'll do the same right now.........have to put up my meds box for during the day. Do your research, take it slowly and keep me informed?:D ps. Please don't go down the self harm road! It will take time but you'll get there.:sus::D Craig