• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Gothics, Emos and other subcultures: A Discussion

My area is plauged by emo kids who seem to cling to some idea of individuality. So my band, The Suitable Few, wrote a song in 'tribute' to them. It will be on our forthcoming album april/may 06

The Fringe of Society

The Fringe Of Society.

welcome to a day in the poor life of me
i don't belong, i'm on the fringe of society
i get up, it's a nice day but it's raining in my heart
the tears are running down my face why did today have to start?
a question mark on my life - why am i here?
when is this emotional cloud going to clear?

i hear a knock at the door - must be mum
but she just can't imagine why i feel so glum.
no one can, no one will - no one could ever understand
except for 'the used' - cause they're my favourite band.
everyday of my life runs rife with strife and emotional issues
oh quick it's happening again - get me my tissues.

I WANNA CRY!!! (repeat til verse)

its just a fad, being drab, down dreary and blue
we've all got problems the world doesnt just revolve around you
so caught up in your own emotions that it's hard to realise
that theres more to life than the fringe hanging in front of your eyes

so step back from your self involved fantasy of depression
dashboard confessional albums go on for hrs and hrs
stop hanging out at the towers and always looking so sour
cos it's a beautiful day,

my shoes and shirt and pants are black and so is my hair
I fell in love with a girl at school today but she doesn't care
everyday of my life runs rife with strife and emotional issues
ohh quick it's happening again... get me my tissues!

I WANNA CRY!!!

(the following is a breakdown emo-section - think a wonderful pisstake of the simple plan/the used or countless other songs in those genres)

I'm sorry, mum and dad,
sorry I couldn't make you glad

Sorry mum and dad for everything i've done wrong
Sorry mum and dad I couldn't write a better song
Sorry that I ever stole money from your purse
Sorry I walked in when you were dressed as a nurse

And so forth. Obviously it has much more effect in the song.

But emokids are funny. Just laugh :)

Adikkal

I'm still finding it hard to fathom why people hate emo and Goths. I would never dream of dressing up as emo and Goth, but that's because simply, I don't like their music (although I like metal, and some hardcore punk bands) and I don't find it very appealing the way they dress.

But, I also think there are more than one type of Goth, and more than one type of emo.
I have seen goths that dress up and carry on for the whole "shock value" of it, in my opinion, these really are the people that are crying out for attention... and damn well get it alot of the time... much like the goth in the above picture a few posts up. I like to call this "Ugly-I wanna scare you goth" and alot of the time, they do a pretty good job at scaring the shit out of me. lol.
But, whatever rocks their boats, I say god on em. (even though I reckon it looks shitty)

Then of course you have the more, usually matured goth, that just go about their daily business without even thinking that they are a part of a subculture. They usually like metal, black metal, death metal, NIN, or some of that new romance stuff... or whatever and really hate crap like Marilyn Manson (because of the whole shock value such bands go for, to them it's a sellout), they're not like the other goths that feel and think they are opressed by other people every second of the day. They're pretty much just like an average person that just so happens to appreciate metal, black metal, etc... and what the whole scene stands for and they also like black, leather stuff and straight long black hair. I have seen some amazingly beautifully sexy people from this side of the goth scene. I swear, some of the women really know how to look exotic and dress up. and I doubt these are the kind of people who are so foolish enough into performing rituals or casting sells on their enemies.

Emo people. Well, I dunno. I haven't really come into contact with many of them. But, they appear to be all for that long fringe in their eyes look... which imo looks realy god on some people... while others, heh. No, it doesn't.
They also seem to have an appreciation for those bands that have a whiney voice throughout their songs and then all of a sudden break out into screams or whatever. But, again... meh! whatever floats their boat.
In my opinion, they are probably less harmful than "mainstreamers" as these people usually stick to themselves and have a tendency not to want to attract too much attention.

Without such subcultures, I reckon the world would be a very boring place. In my opinion, ravers can be way over the top alot of times too. I mean... what the fuck is it with wearing god damn candy on yur wrists? and for crying out loud, those phatpants look absolutely ridiculous and hideous. But, again... seems to float their boat and I have to admit there are some pretty damn hot looking girls that know how to make the whole candykid scene look not so bad.

I was funnily enough looking at some pics the other night and OH MY GOD I was a goth...well I looked a bit like one...dyed black hair, black clothes...maybe listening to the Cure and Sisters of Mercy should have given it away a bit more to me!!
8)
and my music taste now is well different though I still love those particular bands....
:\

Like all trends people will climb aboard to fit with their friends. Everything comes and goes, only a few will stay true to any cause.
At the moment Goth is just the new Black.

*Heads off to preen his dreads, skin a fatty and strum along to Peter Tosh*
Lively up yourself everyone!

i see some goth girls around... and i think to myself, i believe they got up one morning, realised that they had been beaten with the ugly stick, so thought "fuck it, if i'm this hideous, i may as well go all out.."

and as for emo kids... i know.. no-one understands you... except for every other fucker just like you. you like having a tear near your eye? don't draw one on.. come closer, i'll give you a real one....

wow.. i'm an angry man tonite...

<3

muzby said:
...you like having a tear near your eye? don't draw one on.. come closer, i'll give you a real one....
^I think you'll find having a tear on one's cheek or below ones eye generally indicates a life they've taken, muzby.
Not really all that emo', really. A way to keep score is more how I would see it. :|.

^really? one of the guys from good charlotte regularly wears the tear thing... i can't imagine one of them being a killer.

though now i think of it i'd guess emo kids would crawl into a ball and cry rather than kill someone :p

CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT said:
^I think you'll find having a tear on one's cheek or below ones eye generally indicates a life they've taken, muzby.

in a gang, yes.

for a 17 year old kid, with his pants so low that his underpants seem twice as long, i highly doubt it.

unless, of course, he is counting the fact that because he can't get a girl, every time he masterbates, he is taking a life....

<3

^I've honestly never seen teeny-goths with a tear? Maybe I'm behind in the times. :|.
All I know is the original meaning behind it was a murder... freaking try-hards. :p.

yeah, until they kill someone, i will never think of them as real...

muzby said:
i see some goth girls around... and i think to myself, i believe they got up one morning, realised that they had been beaten with the ugly stick, so thought "fuck it, if i'm this hideous, i may as well go all out.."

and as for emo kids... i know.. no-one understands you... except for every other fucker just like you. you like having a tear near your eye? don't draw one on.. come closer, i'll give you a real one....

wow.. i'm an angry man tonite...

And thats exactly the reaction they want, They like to know they piss people off. ;)

Otherwise they couldnt rebel

goths liking to piss people off?? yes.. but they don't piss me off...

emo kids liking to piss people off?? no.. they just want to belong...

On the tear tattoo topic: I was under the understanding [at least in this day and age] that a tear symbolized 'dog'. It's a fairly traditional process in Australian prisons, against inmates who have 'lagged' in another person for a crime.

Tear = sook/ pansy.

At times in the past, I have been way too emo.
I had a xanga whilst my last girlfriend broke up with me. In hindsight, this was a recipe for distaster.

i wentot the melbourne greenday concert on saturday night.
I had to send a message to my best friend saying "if i get trampled by 50 000 emo kids, can you be sure to mention the obscene amount of hair product in my eulogy".

I have nothing against them, i think that if it's the way they want to go about things then fine. JUst don't give me dirtly looks when i got to a concert, because i'm a) not wearing black.or b) not wearing horizontal black and white stripes.

Emo (music)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Emo is a subgenre of hardcore punk music. Use of the term (and which musicians should be so classified) has been the subject of much debate.

In its original incarnation, the term "emo" was used to describe the music of the mid-1980s DC scene and its associated bands. In later years, the term "emocore", short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the DC scene and some of the regional scenes that spawned from it. The term "emo" was derived from the fact that, on occasion, members of a band would become spontaneously and literally emotional during performances. The most recognizable names of the period included Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Grey Matter, Fire Party and slightly later, Moss Icon. The first wave of emo began to fade after the breakups of most of the involved bands in the early 1990s.

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term "emo" began to reflect the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason put forth a more indie rock brand of emo, which was more melodic and less chaotic in nature than its predecessor. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the end of the 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted their style to the mainstream.

As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the more mainstream style, creating a style of music that has now earned the moniker "emo" within popular culture. Whereas, even in the past, the term "emo" was used to identify a wide variety of bands, the breadth of bands listed under today's emo is even more vast, leaving the term "emo" as more of a loose identifier than as a specific genre of music.

I actually quite like a lot of emo music.
But only good emo music.
Simple plan, good charlotte and all those psuedo punk try hard dickheads can burn for all i care.

I do think however, that it's great that it can appeal to such a vast audience which stretches beyond simply the "emo" culture of emo fringes, and black skinny leg jeans. i have both an emo fringe, and skinny leg jeans, but i'm not emo. I think that tagging anyone emo because they wear chuck taylors, and let their hair grow and poke them in the eye is insulting. It's insulting to a whole massive genre of music.*

I think that calling someone "emo" has sadly, jumped significantly away from the influence of the music. And is definitley becoming far more about how the person dresses and combs their hair. But then again, in the world we live in, what isn't?

*i also think that giving beands like simple plan, and good charlotte record contracts is insulting to all the actual good music which is around.

Goth certainly has had good staying power - it seems to endlessly reinvent itself and absorb new music/technology. Don't goths love the internet!! When I lived in Lismore, it was fun guessing how long it would take the new goths (coming up from cooler climes to go to Southern Cross Uni) to downshift to black singlets - on a hot enough day, those velvet cloaks can kill ya! A friend of mine once got kicked out of a gothic club for wearing a hawaiian shirt (at least - that's his excuse; I bet he was bliiiiiind). I got friendly with a women one night at a naked cocktail party - she told me later that this may not have happened if she had seen me with clothes on (ie - I was not a goth like her...)

I never even new what emo was until a couple of years ago - it is a sucky word but I can't comment on it's members.

As an old punk I always get a good chuckle out of the amount of Dead Kennedys T-shirts/emblems I keep seeing on teenagers. Sure - they were a fucking good band, but surely punk has produced something of equivalent value in the last 20 years? Or maybe not?

kryalkastleE said:
in my personal experience i have always found goths to be some of the nicest people around. a girl at my high school was condemed for being a goth and everyone was scared she was going to bring a gun to school and shoot everybody, just ebcause she wore black and loved marilyn manson. but thats just who she was and once you got to know her she was one of the most sweetest down to earth genrous people i have ever met.
and she wasnt afraid to be herself. i admire people that arent afraid to show who they are on teh outside even if it means society is going to laugh in their face.
i think ravers look pretty stupid sometimes too, but thats just who they are.
Awesome post, kryal! :D

Man, it sure is interesting to see everyone getting on their high horse and putting the goth kids down because goth kids get on their high horse and put other people down... 8(

The goth subculture is absolutely no different to any other subculture. You have your full immersion peeps who live and breathe goth...you got your tourists who like getting dressed up and into it every now and then but it doesn't define them...you got your peeps who like the music and the general gist of it but still pretty much pass for any other member of society...and you've got the wankers who play up the whole goth thing to the hilt because they're wankers but don't really get the ideas behind it. Not to mention about a million other types of goth in between; gosh, just like human beings really! ;):p

Honestly, you could apply exactly that same paragraph to any other subculture in the world. You've got cool well adjusted punks, ravers, geeks, jocks, whatever, and just as many who are lame.

How is being caked in foundation and wearing fishnet really any different to a yuppie chick being caked in makeup and wearing high heels to work every day?

It just comes down to the way you perceive yourself and how you feel comfortable projecting yourself to the world...saying that goths are all depressed and cynical is just like saying ravers are all constantly happy and full of beans because they wear glowy stars and kandy and bright clothing...