• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

God is Love, seems to be setting a low bar for Love. Right?

Gnostic Bishop

Bluelighter

Should, Yahweh is Love, be read as, Yahweh is Hate?

God is as dualistic as the universe is.

Yin and Yang compliment each other but one side is perceived as dominant in our subjective views.

Most Christians think Yahweh to be good, but many in both the believer and non-believer camps disagree.

Reality also disagrees.

I see more hate in Yahweh than love.

Do you?

Regards
DL

I enjoy looking at the world through many lenses. Never thought about how **in my LIMITED understanding of Judaism.**They would not even say the name aloud, out of “respect”, if “respect” is replaced with “fear”of a hateful entity, ( which reverence typically is also fear * in translation*) that changes how people should approach certain texts. This also changes why some religions would not say the name Yahweh, if it was something to fear ( like saying bloody marry in front of a mirror to many times). Definitely something to add to the viewing angle. In the Christian Bible the Old Testament is full of crazy wrath of god, and the crazy wrath of humans.
Ha, to some, a sign of love is giving the last of your bag to someone who is dope sick. While that same sign or action of love would not be “accepted” by others ( my grandmother for example.. if she was still breathing ) I figure ( for me) Love love love, is not just how you measure it; but how you show show show it. Thanks for the food for thought, Have a kick ass week!!

Love can always cross the boundaries of confinement.. the things that we must do..

Our degrees and depths of extension as selves trying to express ourselves as degrees of freedom..

Optimal choice is a true catch at love.. but the next one can always be greater!

It depends on your definition of God which is a notoriously badly defined concept in general leading to all sorts of misunderstandings and arguments that could be avoided easily if people would just take the time to clarify exactly what they mean by "God" beforehand.

I know that you know this and as such your thread title is pretty disingenuous, almost deliberately phrased to catalyse this kind of misunderstand and pointless argument that will no doubt degenerate into semantics.

Most people do not share your idea of "God" as a word for "the Old Testament Judeochristian conceptualisation of the omnipotent entity Yahweh" and as such the answers you get in this thread are not going to be answers to the question you are actually asking - which is "Can the Old Testament Judeochristian conceptualisation of the omnipotent entity Yahweh really be considered to be a loving being?" - the answer of course is so obvious that it really doesn't need to be asked - no, of course not.

I predict many answers not actually answering the question you are asking - but the broader and far more interesting question about whether a loving omnipotent being would create this reality. I won't answer that directly myself though because I suspect this kind of discussion will be stifled by the absurd way you've constructed this topic.

I agree with @Vastness. I don't understand Yahweh's hatred here either. Isn't this being supposedly an incarnation of God? Maybe you wonder why God hates you yet created you. I can't answer that either since I don't think an omniscient or non-human created me, even if they created the ground I walk on

cosmic love is ruthless and will teach you harsh lessons to grow. The source is love creation is made to experience suffering so that love means something.

The creator did not know love is likely true.

One cannot love by ones self. It take 2.

Regards
DL

It depends on your definition of God which is a notoriously badly defined concept in general leading to all sorts of misunderstandings and arguments that could be avoided easily if people would just take the time to clarify exactly what they mean by "God" beforehand.

I know that you know this and as such your thread title is pretty disingenuous, almost deliberately phrased to catalyse this kind of misunderstand and pointless argument that will no doubt degenerate into semantics.

Most people do not share your idea of "God" as a word for "the Old Testament Judeochristian conceptualisation of the omnipotent entity Yahweh" and as such the answers you get in this thread are not going to be answers to the question you are actually asking - which is "Can the Old Testament Judeochristian conceptualisation of the omnipotent entity Yahweh really be considered to be a loving being?" - the answer of course is so obvious that it really doesn't need to be asked - no, of course not.

I predict many answers not actually answering the question you are asking - but the broader and far more interesting question about whether a loving omnipotent being would create this reality. I won't answer that directly myself though because I suspect this kind of discussion will be stifled by the absurd way you've constructed this topic.

Ignoring your psychobabble on the question, those who do not needlessly complicate their thinking just might reply in an honest and forthright way.

As to those who cannot share my view that a genocidal Yahweh is an evil construct, they are obviously immoral fascist dick wads.

Regards
DL

I agree with @Vastness. I don't understand Yahweh's hatred here either. Isn't this being supposedly an incarnation of God? Maybe you wonder why God hates you yet created you. I can't answer that either since I don't think an omniscient or non-human created me, even if they created the ground I walk on

Would a god like homophobes?

Would a god like misogynous people?

Would a god who can cure use genocide?

Compare what you put to what Yahweh's vile sheeple would say.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
The gods I'm aware of don't interact with humans, at least not personally. If your god isn't personable I don't know how to make a comparison chart

The gods I'm aware of don't interact with humans, at least not personally. If your god isn't personable I don't know how to make a comparison chart

Do you mean personable or personal?

My god is definitely personal and quite personable.

He does not pull his mental moral punches though.

As to your last. I doubt that.

Regards
DL

I don't have anything to add. I don't understand gods who have interpersonal relationships with people, or rather I don't know who they are nor believe they exist

Love and shit... sorry. Definitions and fruit(s).
God is what we wish, imo.
I wanna know more about the grey exceptions, GB.
What do we do?

Ignoring your psychobabble on the question, those who do not needlessly complicate their thinking just might reply in an honest and forthright way.

As to those who cannot share my view that a genocidal Yahweh is an evil construct, they are obviously immoral fascist dick wads.

Regards
DL
"Psychobabble", heh, I don't know how I can make myself any clearer.

Why do you insist on using the terms "God" and "Yahweh" interchangeably? They are not the same. "God" is a fairly general term referring to some kind of supernatural being. Yahweh is just one quite specific conception of an omnipotent god from a specific branch of ancient religious mythology.

As far as I can tell, the majority of users of this forum are not traditional Christians of the kind from the era when Yahweh was anything more than a fairly specific conception from one of many of the aforementioned religious mythologies. I don't understand your insistence on keeping up a one-sided argument in which no-one is really disagreeing with you. You are preaching to the choir - or rather, ranting to the choir - but the choir, in this case, is not even having the same discussion, like in so many of your threads.

I'm trying to elucidate my perception of the situation as clearly as possible. I am speaking English, and leaving as little room for misinterpretation as I am capable of. I know you have said before that English is not your first language, IIRC, perhaps if I could speak French I could communicate better, but somehow I doubt it.

No one is disagreeing with you! Who do you think you're arguing with?

Impossible to truly say on absolutely all points because we cannot possibly understand the mind of a superintelligent being but I'll humour you and bring the discussion down to your level and assume that implicit in these questions is that "god" would or should be a compassionate and loving one - in this case, no, of course not, by definition, why are you even asking these questions, Christ, this is going to give me a brain haemorrhage.

Well, yeah, when Yahweh was actually a relevant entity in human culture rather than a relatively forgotten relic, they might say that homosexuality was wrong, treating women kindly was laughable, and genocide is a valid option when waging religious warfare. Nowadays except in certain Islamic theocracies and piss poor third world shitholes where people still believe that if your crop fails maybe it's because your neighbour put a curse on you, these ideas are kind of in the minority, and most people would agree they are wrong. And yes, they are wrong. Has anyone here tried to argue any different? Again, who is it that you think you're arguing with? Is there a subculture of ultra Traditional Yahweh devotees I've somehow missed that you're trying to put to rights?

Isn't there a dedicated forum for discussion of ancient Abrahamic religions somewhere where you could converse with people who actually do believe in the ideas you constantly rage against, rather than here, where almost no-one does?

I just thought of this..:
Do you need an "aim" to love?

Like.. "I have love for whom and whom" or "I love this and that".. "I have unconditional love TOWARDS such and such a thing"

I have a feeling that God is caught up in this mess as badly as we are..

And yes we can learn from God.. just Like he/she can learn from us!

I just thought of this..:
Do you need an "aim" to love?

Like.. "I have love for whom and whom" or "I love this and that".. "I have unconditional love TOWARDS such and such a thing"
A highly personal thing of course, but I see love as being tied to respect. If one has respect for somebody then that's love, but love on its own would just be a supernatural or spiritual matter for me. I doubt that helps you though, hehe

Edit: I don't think that love is an inborn trait like instinct. It's not acquired but can be. That's why I say it's a personal matter. I don't subscribe to spirituality in the form familiar in writing. More like spiritual pragmatism. I think it's tied in with instinct but the individual has their own instinctual inclinations, obviously so the outcome will vary

Again, this is my opinion and experience. Nothing more or less

Last edited:
Can we tie doing what we want or reacting to(using instincts) to having an aim?

And then therefore loving those choices that we make?

Or could we call the most optimal choice we make the most amount of loving energy through that directive?

Should, Yahweh is Love, be read as, Yahweh is Hate?

God is as dualistic as the universe is.

Yin and Yang compliment each other but one side is perceived as dominant in our subjective views.

Most Christians think Yahweh to be good, but many in both the believer and non-believer camps disagree.

Reality also disagrees.

I see more hate in Yahweh than love.

Do you?

Regards
DL
I think religious gods are the ones that are the opposite of love and only seek to dominate and control the species that happens to fall victim to its tactics.

And its exactly these kinds of dilemmas that are anticipated by those gods and the powers that be. They want you to question your faith and question your beliefs in a negative way so that you lose faith in yourself and humanity as a whole. Its good to question things but not if that means doubting yourself and the fate of humanity.

You are confused because you see god and love as two separate things and that one has power over the other but they are conjoined so that it can create this massive game to test our strengths and to know our weaknesses and to learn lessons of pain and separation and heartbreak and torment and addiction because it molds us into something stronger than we once were. Love is the energetic force that makes that process happen and always strives towards evolution and growth and also compassion and kindness. Its free will and openness.

Its hard to live by your truth because there are so many concepts and ideas that are out there that can harm you or make you seem disingenuous or hold you back from doing the things you want to do or hold you back from finding peace or resolution or closure.

But its because of that that you have to remember that you are your own person with your own thoughts and feelings and you can shape your own beliefs about the universe and life and reality and love that make a lot more sense to you and might actually be more accurate in an objective sense as well more so than what these religions or organizations have tried to propegate for the past thousands of years. Even if people just see you as crazy or ignorant as a result of it because youre not conforming with mainstream ideas.

God is love to me means something along the lines of 'love is the essence of the universe' I dont know whether thats true or not but I don't think that sets a low bar for love, I think it raises it up to be the most important thing