• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Found a bottle of pentobarbital

Mr. Chicken, he has the sodium salt, up in the OP. Not sure why a calcium or magnesium salt would cause necrosis from alkalinity, since I doubt it would be soluble.

Mr. Taco, there's no H in "stuff". (But two f's for fentanyl?) So no changes made.

Mr. LSD Felinemeister, thanks, and phenobarbital = phenobarbitone, pentobarbital = pentobarbitone, I am my own grandpa.

Would people agree the risk is only about the therapeutic window being just narrow enough to fall out?* Otherwise there's plenty of more potent things available for the youth in Asia and elsewhere.

*I mean besides how it was sitting in a bottle in a strange lab for a decade and might actually be where the labtech kept his meth. That would be unsettling when you are expecting the opposite.

It's a pun Mr. Taco. You never used the word "phenobarbital." Or "pentobarbital". You said, "stuff".

Mr. LSD Felinemeister, thanks, and phenobarbital = phenobarbitone, pentobarbital = pentobarbitone, I am my own grandpa.

I was rather blatantly suggesting you should all adopt the Commonwealth naming from now on. Make it so!

Even Trump hasn't scared the commonwealth from thinking about an official Brexit.

FWIW, I never had a problem with a few extra U's. I also double-checked the structures trying to find the aldehyde. Found a few ketones though.

The -al vs -one spelling in the naming of barbiturates is country variation. UK and US spelling differences IIRC although I always forget which is which, I think its -barbitone in the UK, officially speaking if one is being anal about it.

Regarding magnesium etc. salts..I was merely speculating that an alkaline earth metal salt might be possible to have a soluble barbituric acid derivative salt form, not that it would be additionally prone to causing tissue necrosis. The sodium salts will do so and are known for it. 'barb burns' is a term used to describe it. A miss is not something you want to happen with barbs because of this.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/30/8d/b0/308db0fdb211792ad9b20394799a9003.jpg

And they can cause worse than that too, with frank tissue necrosis not just blistering. But fucking hell if the first thing I thought when I saw that image was 'bloody christ that looks like a mustard gas or lewisite burn'

So I'm going to block quote Wikipedia cause I can't paraphrase this. But the bottom line is it's the German's fault. Hard to fault -one when there's three ketones.

he most likely story is that Baeyer and his colleagues went to celebrate their discovery in a tavern where the town's artillery garrison were also celebrating the feast of Saint Barbara – the patron saint of artillerymen. An artillery officer is said to have christened the new substance by amalgamating Barbara with urea.[22] Another story holds that Baeyer synthesized the substance from the collected urine of a Munich waitress named Barbara.[23] No substance of medical value was discovered, however, until 1903 when two German scientists working at Bayer, Emil Fischer and Joseph von Mering, discovered that barbital was very effective in putting dogs to sleep. Barbital was then marketed by Bayer under the trade name Veronal. It is said that Mering proposed this name because the most peaceful place he knew was the Italian city of Verona

Heh, veronal was my first barb. Quite enjoyable too, especially considering its being so long acting, the longer acting barbs are often said to be crap. But phenobarb doesn't even compare to veronal. Scored about 30g of lab grade veronal, used as a PH buffer from a bio lab some years back (as the free acid) and it was wonderfully recreational stuff. Lasted AGES though for a dose. Definitely different from other downers, a LOT more punch than any pissy benzo, Z-drug etc. and different from the other barbiturate-like option still around (I take this as a seizure med), chlormethiazole, a barbiturate binding site agonist at GABAa receptors, although unlike the barbs it doesn't have the AMPA receptor antagonistic antiglutamatergic properties, and is a lot cleaner-headed and less 'messy' and sloppy when you get fucked up on it; although clormethiazole is still more than capable of getting a person pretty fucked up=D)

I took it in rehab just a few years ago. Not sure the dose but it was three times a day. It kept me zombified. Which could have been fun if I didn't have to stay awake the full day, do activities, and talk about my feelings. It was such a heavy dug they had to monitor our vitals. When I told my family what I was on and they did the research I was horrified and I ended up getting the psych to take me off it early.

It's already been made clear but i'll go ahead and say that I live with a vet tech and was just listening to her talk about this distinction a few days ago. They use PENTObarbital for euthanasia, and PHENObarbital for epilespy/whatever (she said '-barbital,' not '-barbitone', for what it's worth).

Also I, too, once found a bottle of 'sodium barbital' once and gave it a go. I read somewhere that a fatal dose was about 9.8 grams so I eyeballed about 40% of that. It was one of my stupider moments, perhaps the stupidest. I was already drunk and on valium and wanted to avoid a comedown off of coke. i slept soundly for about 36 hours.

Yes, that's usually the case. But that doesn't mean either can't be used for euthanasia. PHENObarbit/one/al is what the Nazis rather notoriously used in their child euthanasia programme.

As for -one suffix, you'll generally not hear that unless you're British/Commonwealth. The only point in raising it is that this isn't just a US website, and drugs are sometimes named differently in different territories.

Also I, too, once found a bottle of 'sodium barbital' once and gave it a go. I read somewhere that a fatal dose was about 9.8 grams so I eyeballed about 40% of that. It was one of my stupider moments, perhaps the stupidest. I was already drunk and on valium and wanted to avoid a comedown off of coke. i slept soundly for about 36 hours.

I agree with you! 8o Glad you survived! :)

If it was barbital (as in veronal, 5,5-diethylbarbituric acid/its Na salt) then you got off lucky. VERY lucky to have survived that if you were on other depressants. I'm surprised you ever woke up. Fuck me. Thats a fairly high dose of barbital..a bit under 5g? jesus. I'd not have taken that much as a single dose without any tolerance to the drug, (less, in my case since it was the free acid I had and thus the atomic weight of the sodium cation wouldn't count to lessen the quantity of the drug itself). (although tolerance in the case of barbs refers only to needing to take a larger dose to obtain the desired effect, since whilst tolerance to the desirable effects occurs with barbs, there is, unlike with most drugs, no corresponding rise in the lethal dosage, meaning that tolerance can rise to the point that in order to either stay stable if addicted physically, or using regularly enough to build up some tolerance slowly, that by the time one could need enough to serve the intended purpose, the quantity needed would prove fatal)

Also in the case of the ultra-long-acting barbs, like phenobarb and barbital, the half-life is so prolonged that it builds up higher and higher plasma levels and eventually a small dose can prove enough to tip one over the edge into an overdose with a quantity that if it had been taken by a first time user would have had only moderate effects)

Although generally speaking, the ultra-long acting barbs are considered fairly crappy recreationals, and pheno really isn't, barbital
seems quite different in that respect, and is a pretty good recreational drug with the caveat that it has to be used really carefully.
In fact as far as GABAergics go, I'd rate it as in my top two, along with chlormethiazole, another barbiturate/picrotoxin site agonist, although which unlike the barbs, has no effects on AMPA type glutamate receptors (barbiturates aren't just GABAa allosteric modulators, but they also act as negative allosteric modulators of the AMPA receptors)

interesting. if i hadn't realized my fuckup and subsequent tossing of remaining barbital afterwards I probably would have pursued further research into it, but this was many years ago and long before i ever invested in a scale - hence I don't actually know how much I ingested, but i'm confident it was no less than 3.5 grams - I tried to picture an eight ball of blow and then some. I also wasn't much of a druggy then; it was before I even joined this site. it was a rather alarming realization that i was fucking with stuff that could kill me and i decided to leave that stuff alone for as long as i could. nowadays that's a different story. i'd love to try chlormethiazole one day, or seconal, but whatever; i feel pretty good after going to the gym then slamming five beers followed by a hamburger, so what's the point...

also i had in mind how old the stuff was when i did it. the bottle it came in was straight out of our grandparents' age - large, amber glass with some basic label that simply read 'SODIUM BARBITAL', probably with a net weight on there as well. it must have been at least a pint size bottle if not bigger, probably 20 oz, and there was probably like three ounces or more of the material left in it (I swiped like two tablespoon or so worth, or what looked to be what a half oz of blow would look like).

also yeah i used to work at an animal shelter and i could've sworn that there (this was like 17 years ago) they used PHENOLbarbital to euthanize the animals there (although I remember it as PHENYLbarbital, but this was all verbal so obviously my bad).

I have experience with Pentobarbital (Nembutal) and Secobarbital (Seconal) both. For that matter, I've used a fair amount of Phenobarbital as well. I was getting it from a veterinary pharmacy when I was in Laos and as far as I can tell, it was legitimate stuff. The Seconal was a one-time deal, which isn't important.

Basically, 100mg is a standard dosing unit and probably how you want to start out. They work pretty rapidly, so 45 minutes in on an empty stomach, you will be feeling it. There's no reason to inject this stuff, but I'm a bit of a freak. My best explanation is a light combination of both Alcohol and Benzodiazepines. Don't use this with any other CNS depressants. They're wicked dangerous, as we all know.

I've tried phenobarb, amobarb and pentobarb, and the potency is in that order ranging from moderate to super-strong. Phenobarb was moderately strong, and slightly euphoric. Pentobarb was more euphoric, but amobarb was the most pleasant, even though it wasn't that much stronger than phenobarb. Pento made me a bit sloppy whereas amobarb was like phenobarb just with more euphoria.

None of them were as euphoric as phenibut or baclofen and certainly no where near as euphoric as pregabalin (Lyrica). If you're after something more euphoric than Lyrica you'd be venturing into opiate territory...seriously, Lyrica will really get you smashed and high. I can't believe it's not in a more restricted schedule in Australia...although that might happen if enough reports hit the TGA...as they did with Phenibut, which they banned outright.

15mg had no effect.

80 mg followed by a 55mg supplement provided a nice light "drunk".

Seems the sweet spot for this one would be going right for a 150mg dose next time.

How dangerous is pentobarbital to drink a few beers on? I know downers + downers = trouble but i was wondering the extent of damage 2 tecates could cause while under the barb influence.

I'm an old dope fiend, and remember well Seconal, Tuinal, and Nembutal--pentobarbital. Unfortunately, I no longer remember the dosage in mg, just in number of pills. (I think they all were the same strength--we called them Yellows, as the capsules were yellow.) It seemed like about 4 caps were a pretty hefty dose. If you are careful, you can probably take the dose you're proposing and drink a couple of beers. As someone else has already said, be very careful that you don't forget what you have taken and accidentally take more. This is a drug used for euthanasia--I believe it's the first one of the three-drug combo that most states use for execution. Be careful and stay safe.

llamer, I DEFINITELY heartily recommend chlormethiazole any time you might get the chance. Be damn careful with it, and ANY alcohol is even more contraindicated than it is barbiturates. Stuff has a potent motherfucker of a kick to it, its short-intermediate acting, (completely unsuitable btw for injection, I haven't but don't even try, shit, it even melts plastic and I shudder to think what it might do to vasculature, lungs etc), acts extremely quickly by mouth or up the arse anyway, and its euphoric as hell. One of my absolute favourite non-barbiturate downers. Its actually an allosteric positive modulator for the same binding site on GABAa receptors as the barbs are, the picrotoxin/barbiturate recognition site. Stuff has a wicked kick to it.

I'm on it now actually (I take it to prevent and to treat seizures), and along with the fact my pain meds have been increased temporarily because I've hurt my foot, badly enough I can't walk or stand, its giving me a real nice buzz.