• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Opioids For those who have cold turkey off 100+ mg of methadone, how bad was it really?

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
I’m curious to hear personal accounts of cold turkey off of methadone. How long did the withdrawals really last? We’re you forced? (Jail) ?

Soso78

Bluelighter
I reduced from around 80 down to 10 over weeks then quit. I was fucked for about 3 weeks.
U gotta jump from 100?

negrogesic

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
I got hit with narcan while on 380mg of methadone (i was on a bunch of phenobarbital and a paramedic hit me with narcan despite me being wide awake and pleading to not do it). Felt like i was thrown into a freezing fast moving river. Never been so cold in my life; yet simultaneously my skin was on fire. Within minutes I started shitting myself uncontrollably. They released me after a few hours. Had to walk the 3 miles home and then took nearly a gram of methadone. Whats interesting is that it wasn't nearly as psychotic as cold turkey IV heroin withdrawal, but im sure it would have progressed to delrium eventually. Yet, narcan only kicks out methadone temporarily due to half-life differences. That said it was horrible and incredibly painful, the fastest I've ever gone from fine to awful. It was like being in a car accident.

If i ever came across that guy I'd cut his thumbs off. Fortunately I don't remember his name or face. I can still remember the weird, cold taste in my mouth.

Also, when I moved to australia for a while i was forced to drop from 340mg to 180mg (the most they'd give me). That drop was quite unpleasant.

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
I reduced from around 80 down to 10 over weeks then quit. I was fucked for about 3 weeks.
U gotta jump from 100?

No I don’t have to, I’m on 120 mg I’m probably gonna do a 10 mg drop a week till I hit 20 or 30 then just quit. Hopefully starting soon I get a few weeks / months off of work so I can focus on getting off of opiates. As much as I enjoy methadone I need my real sex life baxk

CoveBoy

Greenlighter
I wasn’t on 100mg, just 60. First week was bad, and then things got really bad after that first week. I was in a detox and then I threatened to kill myself if they wouldn’t let me leave. From detox I went to a crisis stabilization unit where they weren’t so friendly. Finally got out after 3 days there and finished detoxing at my moms house. It took me about a month to get back to full speed. Best of luck if you’re gonna try!

TheInvisibleStoner

Bluelighter
I kicked off 65mg 2 months ago. It was pretty brutal man. Still sick of course. I came off 3mg once and this was 20x harder. Would not recommend it. Also kicked off 45mg when I was your age and while it sucked, I recovered very fast. But there were no benzos or alcohol involved on that one.

Don't forget you are drinking too. Your brain its getting more methadone and more liquor than you think. Once you drop the methadone your GABA will tank, and you will need 3x the drinking to stay out of withdrawal (also methadone hides alcohol withdrawal so if you don't get withdrawals from alcohol now, its because you pretty much cannot while drinking that much methadone.

At 65mg I was drinking 12+ beers a day. Didn't think for a second I had any alcohol issues. Until the methadone was removed...alcohol withdrawal came full force on top of the methadone withdrawal.

Unless you want to experience the hellish shit ever. Get off the liquor 100% and taper down the methadone to something reasonable before jumping (sub 30mg).

I knew a guy that kicked off 120mg cold. He went nuts from it.

Methadone acute withdrawal from any dose is 45-60 days. Followed by 3-4 months of PAWS. Around 6 months you are 90% However compounding it with benzos and / or alcohol its longer.

Last edited:

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
I kicked off 65mg 2 months ago. It was pretty brutal man. Still sick of course. I came off 3mg once and this was 20x harder. Would not recommend it. Also kicked off 45mg when I was your age and while it sucked, I recovered very fast. But there were no benzos or alcohol involved on that one.

Don't forget you are drinking too. Your brain its getting more methadone and more liquor than you think. Once you drop the methadone your GABA will tank, and you will need 3x the drinking to stay out of withdrawal (also methadone hides alcohol withdrawal so if you don't get withdrawals from alcohol now, its because you pretty much cannot while drinking that much methadone.

At 65mg I was drinking 12+ beers a day. Didn't think for a second I had any alcohol issues. Until the methadone was removed...alcohol withdrawal came full force on top of the methadone withdrawal.

Unless you want to experience the hellish shit ever. Get off the liquor 100% and taper down the methadone to something reasonable before jumping (sub 30mg).

I knew a guy that kicked off 120mg cold. He went nuts from it.

Methadone acute withdrawal from any dose is 45-60 days. Followed by 3-4 months of PAWS. Around 6 months you are 90% However compounding it with benzos and / or alcohol its longer.

Thank you for the input. Yeah I don’t think I’ll just jump anytime soon definitely at least going to taper the best I can. Alcohol needs to go away too, which I have been cutting back which is good.

I was in jail with a guy coming off of 180 mg. I saw him for something like 17 days until I was moved units. I think he had eaten a handful of food trays in that entire period. He was suffering badly. Looked bloody awful and would hear him dry heaving often. Don’t think he died though would have seen it on the news or heard about it. Still, God bless that guy. Awful.

Papaverium

Bluelighter
Fighting opioid addiction in Vancouver BC
Yeah even just the withdrawals from 40mgs is brutal. I couldn't imagine how jumping from 100 would be. but i guess the shorter time youre on it, the easier it would be to kick once you taper down. Ive been on methadone for 4 years come march and I was once at 120mgs, im finally down to 40, but the wds are starting to get bad, especially when I wake up. been going down by 5mgs a month.

thelung

Bluelighter
I went to a clinic that was run by the county public health department. Then I landed in jail. This clinic for some reason did not have a relationship with the county jail, so I was kicking 100mg cold turkey. It was my first time on methadone, thus it was my first time experiencing the withdrawal symptoms.

Funny thing, the same RN's who dosed people at the methadone clinic also worked at the county jail I was in. I remember when I started to go into a strange clonus thing; I couldn't hold myself still, and luckily the jail RN on duty remembered me from the clinic, and took pity on my ass. She phoned the medical provider on call and I was given Lorazepam 2mg PO q4-6hrs.

Going off methadone cold turkey is a mind fuck, it's physically hellish, and it's something I would recommend avoiding if at all possible