• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Gaming Final Fantasy 7 Remake, April 10th, Baby!

The end fight in 8 was absurd if you weren't prepared in just the right way.
I wasn't prepared my first play through, and I didn't fully understand the scaling of the game back then.
If you think you are gonna try and level up to godmode in VIII you really have to do it like how @December Flower says.
You basically stay as low as a level as possible until you get all or at least most of the GFs, level them until you get their
Bonus skills (they give you higher stat boosts when you level) and learn to junction like a boss.
That damn witch summons lion gods and throws planets at you........

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I personally think it will make the games more accessible for more people. I've found that more people like action rpgs than traditional turn based. But I could see why that might turn away some old school fans.

I've played since I was a kid, personally I've enjoyed how the games have progressed.
There seems to be a trick to gaining more playerbase to an RPG series. That old turn based style was a sort of rift.
Gamers either loved or hated it. I feel like the action RPG mechanics worked many players, but there was no way it wasn't going to drive away a certain amount of the old players. For instance I simply could not get into FFXIII at all, and because of that I haven't picked up any of the new games since then. I also feel like too many games started putting in those action sequences that would play out and you would need to simply press a button at the right time. I guess you do need good timing/reaction but I find it to be a soulless game mechanic.

Did anyone play Grandia II.
I really liked their version of turn based battles. Speed was what made you godmode, similar to the mechanics of FFX. The battle system made it pretty addictive for me.
Another old RPG with a unique battle system was Legend of Legaiea. It was turn based but your attacks were all able to be chained and comboed together, and by the end up the game you be able to hit them with 5 or 6 stacked combo attacks. They both kept true to their turn based origins while adding something new.

There seems to be a trick to gaining more playerbase to an RPG series. That old turn based style was a sort of rift.
Gamers either loved or hated it. I feel like the action RPG mechanics worked many players, but there was no way it wasn't going to drive away a certain amount of the old players. For instance I simply could not get into FFXIII at all, and because of that I haven't picked up any of the new games since then. I also feel like too many games started putting in those action sequences that would play out and you would need to simply press a button at the right time. I guess you do need good timing/reaction but I find it to be a soulless game mechanic.

Did anyone play Grandia II.
I really liked their version of turn based battles. Speed was what made you godmode, similar to the mechanics of FFX. The battle system made it pretty addictive for me.
Another old RPG with a unique battle system was Legend of Legaiea. It was turn based but your attacks were all able to be chained and comboed together, and by the end up the game you be able to hit them with 5 or 6 stacked combo attacks. They both kept true to their turn based origins while adding something new.
Never tried Grandia 2. I sort of felt the same way about XIII and never finished it. The combat system wasn't even really like an action rpg, it was like a turn based style that didn't let you make the decisions. It was so streamlined and linear, that I could understand why someone would cast off the series at that point.

But I'll say, XV and VII remake are both worth checking out. Not like XIII at all. Well VII remake is, in the sense that it's fairly linear. But the combat makes it fun.

Yeah, I bought the FFVII remake, just haven't let myself lay into it yet.
I played the origina FF Tactics through (again) on my phone last year, and I have to say I love that game even on mobile.
It was one of the few games from the time that made me feel a real emotional connection to the characters.

The end fight in 8 was absurd if you weren't prepared in just the right way.
I wasn't prepared my first play through, and I didn't fully understand the scaling of the game back then.
If you think you are gonna try and level up to godmode in VIII you really have to do it like how @December Flower says.
You basically stay as low as a level as possible until you get all or at least most of the GFs, level them until you get their
Bonus skills (they give you higher stat boosts when you level) and learn to junction like a boss.
That damn witch summons lion gods and throws planets at you........
Next time I want to start at CD2 to level, and never get lionheart(esp not on CD1). It's just too strong.
But I guess then I'd just triple ultima with a caster xD

I think knowing too much about the mechanics just makes the game a little too easy.
You have to do little challenges. A long time ago, bout 10 years or so, I did a No-Junction playthrough. Fuck that is fucking hard. If you don't use Quistis you're just doomed :D Took me forever to finish, especially CD2 was so goddamn hard

I never played through doing any challenges like that. I do tend to put crazy hours in grinding and trying to be completionist when I play RPGs.
My first playthrough on FFVIII I definitely would have liked to know more than I did, which was limited to "the enemies level up with you".
But you know what I miss? That addictive card game you could play in that game and the similar one they had in FFIX

I also get addicted to the mechanics of leveling in RPGs. FFVIIs materia system. FFVIIIs junction system. Build trees. The gambit thing in FFXII was interesting.
I enjoyed the process of making my character godly in those types of games, even if by the end things were a little too easy because of it.

I never played through doing any challenges like that. I do tend to put crazy hours in grinding and trying to be completionist when I play RPGs.
My first playthrough on FFVIII I definitely would have liked to know more than I did, which was limited to "the enemies level up with you".
But you know what I miss? That addictive card game you could play in that game and the similar one they had in FFIX
Triple Triad. I can hear the music in my head as I write this.
I put so much time into this game :D

On my first playthrough (I was, wow, 8 years old) I made the lucky (but very random) choice to learn Mod abilities(esp. Card Mod), which is huge, as you prolly know. So I was kinda strong on my first playthrough too, because I always had the greatest magic (cuz I was nerding the card game xD)

X is good for sure. The story, music, combat, X kind of has it all, there's nothing I don't like about it. It's well-rounded, and the Esper fighting is kind of fun(although absolutely OP to be able to catch strong attacks with your Esper xD)
There's nothing I totally love about it either though, especially because finishing the game makes you too overpowered -_-
That acquiring the God Weapons, playing the extra dungeons and stuff just makes you so OP that you almost oneshot Sin is just sad.

VIII is totally worth to play through if you don't yet know the ending. It's so confusing, and there's millions of theories about what it means, or what the entire game represents. VIII only has shit graphics, that's always been the one bad point about 8.
Totally agree about FFX. Nice game, really easy though when all is said and done. The only moments of challenge I had in that game was the learning curve for blitzball and fighting all the Aeons at the end thanks to my having maximum powered them all.

Totally agree about FFX. Nice game, really easy though when all is said and done. The only moments of challenge I had in that game was the learning curve for blitzball and fighting all the Aeons at the end thanks to my having maximum powered them all.
O you understand Blitzball?
I still have no idea. Only played FFX twice though

That's cool, I didn't know that they grow stronger if your own are stronger, but kinda makes sense ofc. I just oneshot them all because I neglected my pokemon. I only caught them all, I never trained them all.

Blitzball was prohibitively stupid until you had players that were good.
Like... trying to literally learn a sport by playing against professional athletes. You just got murdered.
But yeah, I did eventually get a good team together. You have to find one or two of the players at large in the world that were already pretty damn good.
Then you could start getting your other players better. It was fun after you passed all those hurdles. 3D Hockey Ball

Anyone know this song? It's sort of as if Sphongle did a track for Final Fantasy Xs psychedelic players.....
Supersillyus is cool

Last edited:
X is good for sure. The story, music, combat, X kind of has it all, there's nothing I don't like about it. It's well-rounded, and the Esper fighting is kind of fun(although absolutely OP to be able to catch strong attacks with your Esper xD)
There's nothing I totally love about it either though, especially because finishing the game makes you too overpowered -_-
That acquiring the God Weapons, playing the extra dungeons and stuff just makes you so OP that you almost oneshot Sin is just sad.

VIII is totally worth to play through if you don't yet know the ending. It's so confusing, and there's millions of theories about what it means, or what the entire game represents. VIII only has shit graphics, that's always been the one bad point about 8.
I loved blitzball myself.. always enjoyed final fantasy mini games

Triple Triad. I can hear the music in my head as I write this.
I put so much time into this game :D

On my first playthrough (I was, wow, 8 years old) I made the lucky (but very random) choice to learn Mod abilities(esp. Card Mod), which is huge, as you prolly know. So I was kinda strong on my first playthrough too, because I always had the greatest magic (cuz I was nerding the card game xD)
One of my favorite mini games too! could really get screwed with the random rule, so i only kept high end cards lol

One of my favorite mini games too! could really get screwed with the random rule, so i only kept high end cards lol
Yeah you could just make all your bad cards into magic & items, and then more magic, then "random" wasnt as bad a rule