• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Gaming Final Fantasy 7 Remake, April 10th, Baby!

Gloomp

Bluelighter
I'm gonna nut in the opening credit titles. Who else played the original or gonna get the remake?

8132Q%2B5f3qS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have many nostalgic memories of the original. Loved it.

Not enough to buy a PS4 for it though...unfortunately...

I just started playing this. Have logged like 10 hours so far. It's good!

After reading a little more about it, I'm disappointed that it's only the first part of the game, but apparently they are making a Part 2.

Anyone else played it so far?

I have yet to play the remake.
However I played the original and absolutely loved it. I was a fiend for FF and RPGs in general in the late 90s and early 00s.
I actually remember I was playing FF8 as the year 2000 arrived. Everyone was worrying about Y2K but I was busy being utterly consumed.

I just started playing this. Have logged like 10 hours so far. It's good!

After reading a little more about it, I'm disappointed that it's only the first part of the game, but apparently they are making a Part 2.

Anyone else played it so far?

no but I did buy the original and have it ready to go on my switch. havent really started yet but I'm looking forward to it.

what's the remake like?

no but I did buy the original and have it ready to go on my switch. havent really started yet but I'm looking forward to it.

what's the remake like?
It's pretty good. Much more of a hack and slash, as it removes the turn based combat and random encounters. It's fairly linear, but the story and the combat definitely keep you engaged.

I really prefer the original. Im just not into the action rpg genre very much. Kind of miss that late 90s early 2000s boom with turn based rpgs. Theres some great 8 and 16 bit era rpgs as well. Post 2005 or so the whole genre just took a nosedive for me.

I really prefer the original. Im just not into the action rpg genre very much. Kind of miss that late 90s early 2000s boom with turn based rpgs. Theres some great 8 and 16 bit era rpgs as well. Post 2005 or so the whole genre just took a nosedive for me.
Yeah, FF12 isn't too bad, that was 2006. It's kind of a mix between action rpg and turn based combat, but playing the game you can tell the franchise is beginning to transition toward action rpg.

It's pretty good. Much more of a hack and slash, as it removes the turn based combat and random encounters. It's fairly linear, but the story and the combat definitely keep you engaged.
O wow that sucks. I liked the turn-based.
I actually think going more and more towards hack&slay is a pretty bad move by the company. They might lose fans who started FF early(my first FF was IV, the real IV not the murican IV which is VI(?)) and love that old-school turn based combat. I thought remakes are for the fans..
Now I'm not looking forward for the FF8 remake anymore :/

O wow that sucks. I liked the turn-based.
I actually think going more and more towards hack&slay is a pretty bad move by the company. They might lose fans who started FF early(my first FF was IV, the real IV not the murican IV which is VI(?)) and love that old-school turn based combat. I thought remakes are for the fans..
Now I'm not looking forward for the FF8 remake anymore :/
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I personally think it will make the games more accessible for more people. I've found that more people like action rpgs than traditional turn based. But I could see why that might turn away some old school fans.

I've played since I was a kid, personally I've enjoyed how the games have progressed.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I personally think it will make the games more accessible for more people. I've found that more people like action rpgs than traditional turn based. But I could see why that might turn away some old school fans.

I've played since I was a kid, personally I've enjoyed how the games have progressed.
Yeah, it certainly attracts more people. This is what Blizzard did with WoW - make it more accessible to new players, but take a giant shit on the people who have played the game since the start. I'm not saying this is necessarily what Square is doing, but they are losing their principles more or less. Take XIII for example, it's so damned short, it's ridiculous. I thought "fuck 50GB, this is gonna be a long game", yeaaah if it wasnt for 40GB of video-material.

If I compare that to 7 or 8, god these games feel like they're going on forever. And that was one of their principles. Now it's flashy GF/Esper/w/e and motorcycles(?) 15 hours gameplay

Japan America
FF1 FF1
FF2
FF3
FF4 FF2
FF5
FF6 FF3
FF7 FF7

Doesn't make a ton of sense but they realigned starting with FF7

I definitely prefer the oldschool JRPG style vs the new action RPG mechanics

Japan America
FF1 FF1
FF2
FF3
FF4 FF2
FF5
FF6 FF3
FF7 FF7

Doesn't make a ton of sense but they realigned starting with FF7

I definitely prefer the oldschool JRPG style vs the new action RPG mechanics
wait so you guys don't have FF6 available at all? :/
It's the best one :O

Yeah, it certainly attracts more people. This is what Blizzard did with WoW - make it more accessible to new players, but take a giant shit on the people who have played the game since the start. I'm not saying this is necessarily what Square is doing, but they are losing their principles more or less. Take XIII for example, it's so damned short, it's ridiculous. I thought "fuck 50GB, this is gonna be a long game", yeaaah if it wasnt for 40GB of video-material.

If I compare that to 7 or 8, god these games feel like they're going on forever. And that was one of their principles. Now it's flashy GF/Esper/w/e and motorcycles(?) 15 hours gameplay
Yeah I thought XIII had a really watered down combat system and linear gameplay. But I am a fan of XII and XV, as well as the VII remake. I think they are doing it right imo.

Yeah I thought XIII had a really watered down combat system and linear gameplay. But I am a fan of XII and XV, as well as the VII remake. I think they are doing it right imo.
XII was great. I liked that i could play it either way, the gambit-y auto-combat, or a bit more tactical "turn-based"
Also the story is sweet and Ivalice is my favourite FF world, cuz I nerded FFTA like a maniac as a kid. Still one of my favourites.
I haven't played XV so far

XIII had sweet art, and some great characters. I loved the dude with the chicken in his afro :D
But the combat was so sterile and GFs/Esper SUCKED, why the fuck do ancient god-like beings turn into motorcycles?!
srsly. Again. Motorcycles.

IX & VIII are the ones I play the most often, I think. They're both kind of undervalued, but grrreat games.
Esp IX is so oldschool, with the retro black & white mage looks etc, I love it.
I still think 6 is objectively the best one, but 9 & 8 are definitely my personal favourites.

XII was great. I liked that i could play it either way, the gambit-y auto-combat, or a bit more tactical "turn-based"
Also the story is sweet and Ivalice is my favourite FF world, cuz I nerded FFTA like a maniac as a kid. Still one of my favourites.
I haven't played XV so far

XIII had sweet art, and some great characters. I loved the dude with the chicken in his afro :D
But the combat was so sterile and GFs/Esper SUCKED, why the fuck do ancient god-like beings turn into motorcycles?!
srsly. Again. Motorcycles.

IX & VIII are the ones I play the most often, I think. They're both kind of undervalued, but grrreat games.
Esp IX is so oldschool, with the retro black & white mage looks etc, I love it.
I still think 6 is objectively the best one, but 9 & 8 are definitely my personal favourites.
You really can't go wrong with any of 6-9, I think that's where the series peaked for sure. I liked X as well. I have played through all of those, but have only beaten VII, IX, and X. Have yet to beat the final boss in XIII it's soo difficult.

You really can't go wrong with any of 6-9, I think that's where the series peaked for sure. I liked X as well. I have played through all of those, but have only beaten VII, IX, and X. Have yet to beat the final boss in XIII it's soo difficult.
X is good for sure. The story, music, combat, X kind of has it all, there's nothing I don't like about it. It's well-rounded, and the Esper fighting is kind of fun(although absolutely OP to be able to catch strong attacks with your Esper xD)
There's nothing I totally love about it either though, especially because finishing the game makes you too overpowered -_-
That acquiring the God Weapons, playing the extra dungeons and stuff just makes you so OP that you almost oneshot Sin is just sad.

VIII is totally worth to play through if you don't yet know the ending. It's so confusing, and there's millions of theories about what it means, or what the entire game represents. VIII only has shit graphics, that's always been the one bad point about 8.

X is good for sure. The story, music, combat, X kind of has it all, there's nothing I don't like about it. It's well-rounded, and the Esper fighting is kind of fun(although absolutely OP to be able to catch strong attacks with your Esper xD)
There's nothing I totally love about it either though, especially because finishing the game makes you too overpowered -_-
That acquiring the God Weapons, playing the extra dungeons and stuff just makes you so OP that you almost oneshot Sin is just sad.

VIII is totally worth to play through if you don't yet know the ending. It's so confusing, and there's millions of theories about what it means, or what the entire game represents. VIII only has shit graphics, that's always been the one bad point about 8.
I've played through 8 a lot, that end battle just kills me. Next time I attempt it, I will need to crush some mobs and lvl up first. 8 storyline is imo one of the best, if not THE best of all of them. I feel like it's the only one that tackles the subject of love with great accuracy.

I've played through 8 a lot, that end battle just kills me. Next time I attempt it, I will need to crush some mobs and lvl up first. 8 storyline is imo one of the best, if not THE best of all of them. I feel like it's the only one that tackles the subject of love with great accuracy.
the thing about 8 is that you can't level up until later in the game xD
You first need the lvl boni from the GF. It's kind of screwed up.

But be careful not to get too overpowered, because you can get ridiculously overpowered fast.
My last playthrough I twoshot the last boss, was very disappointing :/

You also gotta know about Heaven & Hell. They're two islands on opposite sides of the map (east and west),
which have drawpoints of ultima, triple, aura, regen, etc. pp - the best spells in the game.
You can completely farm those and use them for junction, and you're pretty much good to go
I think you don't need much more than those, because essentially you just have to max Str on Squall, give him Aura and cut that witch into a million pieces.

edit: the 2 islands are also the best place to level up. very good xp

Last edited: