Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Feminism!

Rated E said:
IT's TROO! ;)

All kidding aside, my point was, though, that there are many more options for women than there are men. Maybe guys could look at this as a good thing, not a "IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM!" kind of thing. :)

eras3r said:
All kidding aside, my point was, though, that there are many more options for women than there are men. Maybe guys could look at this as a good thing, not a "IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM!" kind of thing. :)

As long as it is acknowledged as an option, yes.

Though just as women have the right to decide, so do men. So if they do not feel right about the particular method of contraception then they have the right to decide on using something else, or using nothing at all (if it's in consensus with their partner).

But yes, perhaps MazDan could have been a bit more diplomatic about stating his preference. :)

eras3r said:
Have you seen the possible side effects that can happen to women who take hormonal birth control?

Just sayin'. :)

And the function of women is to produce eggs that your sperm can fertilize.

Vasectomies don't mess up a lot of other areas needed for male hormones, if that's what you're getting at as far as the risk of taking a hormonal injection to reduce sperm count.

I wouldn't consider that true at all. Consider this. A woman creates an egg, usually, once a month. One single solitary egg.

Men produce a garbajillion sperm in each ejaculation. It's easier to pin point one thing than it is to figure out how to stop millions. Ya know?

I agree with you that studies should be carried out longer. However, I do hope that more men are interested in assisting in a trial.

As far as the side effects, meh. I've been on HBC since I was 15 (I'll be 27 soon). I'm really not worried about the side effects, as many other medications I've been on have much horrid possible side effects. The key word is possible.

Just remember, at least the male hormone shot won't trick your body into thinking it's pregnant, like women's hormonal birth control does. ;)

I have a background in human physiology and medical genetics. Vasectomies are a fine option for birth control, as are condoms. I'm not saying the guy shouldn't be responsible about his sperm (if there were a 100% side effect free male oral contraceptive I'd take it in a second). The negative feedback loops that govern egg versus sperm production are very different. It's much easier to short circuit a woman's ovulation/implantation than it is to stop sperm production. The details are pretty complex so I'm not going to fo into it, but if you're interested any undergraduate physiology text should explain it.

The number of sperm versus the number of eggs have nothing to do with ease of blockage. It's the complexity of the chemical signalling systems involved. Women have a natural signal to trigger and prevent ovulation, they switch it on and switch it off, there's a built in mechanism to tap into with women. Men's sperm production does not have an off switch, it's always on, that's what makes it difficult to control since there's no natural off switch to mimic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the side effects for the male shot are similar to anabolic steroid use. There are other options besides hormonal birth control for men and women if either sex doesn't want the side effects.

wizekrak said:
I have a background in human physiology and medical genetics. Vasectomies are a fine option for birth control, as are condoms. I'm not saying the guy shouldn't be responsible about his sperm (if there were a 100% side effect free male oral contraceptive I'd take it in a second). The negative feedback loops that govern egg versus sperm production are very different. It's much easier to short circuit a woman's ovulation/implantation than it is to stop sperm production. The details are pretty complex so I'm not going to fo into it, but if you're interested any undergraduate physiology text should explain it.

The number of sperm versus the number of eggs have nothing to do with ease of blockage. It's the complexity of the chemical signalling systems involved. Women have a natural signal to trigger and prevent ovulation, they switch it on and switch it off, there's a built in mechanism to tap into with women. Men's sperm production does not have an off switch, it's always on, that's what makes it difficult to control since there's no natural off switch to mimic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the side effects for the male shot are similar to anabolic steroid use. There are other options besides hormonal birth control for men and women if either sex doesn't want the side effects.

I totally agree with you, and I see your point on how it could garner having side affects similar to using steroids.

Very good point.

eras3r said:
I totally agree with you, and I see your point on how it could garner having side affects similar to using steroids.

Very good point.

yeah the idea of a male contraceptive is nothing new, they've been kicking the idea around for ages and if it were safe and effective we would have seen it by now, which is why I'm so concerned about the safety of the new shot. They've known the physiology for a long time, as far as I know there haven't been any new breakthroughs in chemical messengers or hormone discovery in the reproductive system in a long time. It'll be interesting to see the studies once they're out.

vanth said:
Well when a condom is used, the female is using it too you know.

I didn't say they weren't.

What I said was in response to what eraser said. But thanks for taking it out of context.

wizekrak said:
yeah the idea of a male contraceptive is nothing new, they've been kicking the idea around for ages and if it were safe and effective we would have seen it by now, which is why I'm so concerned about the safety of the new shot. They've known the physiology for a long time, as far as I know there haven't been any new breakthroughs in chemical messengers or hormone discovery in the reproductive system in a long time. It'll be interesting to see the studies once they're out.

Agreed. I do know that a few years ago when the shot was becoming more globally known that they were testing it on low income males in India to prevent further pregnancies. I hadn't really heard anything since. It's almost like it died off and suddenly resurfaced again in the past couple of months.

Sociologically speaking, I wish many men didn't have the attitude of it being the woman's problem to provide contraception, shot of condoms. Even then, I know that I've been expected in the past to have to provide that. :|

eras3r said:
Agreed. I do know that a few years ago when the shot was becoming more globally known that they were testing it on low income males in India to prevent further pregnancies. I hadn't really heard anything since. It's almost like it died off and suddenly resurfaced again in the past couple of months.

Sociologically speaking, I wish many men didn't have the attitude of it being the woman's problem to provide contraception, shot of condoms. Even then, I know that I've been expected in the past to have to provide that. :|

If nothing else they should be splitting the cost

Rated E said:
I didn't say they weren't.

What I said was in response to what eraser said. But thanks for taking it out of context.

I was just saying that condoms weren't solely a male option. No need to be so snarky. Also it was a one sentence post, kind of hard to take it out of context.

vanth said:
I was just saying that condoms weren't solely a male option.

By that reasoning, is any contraceptive device solely the option of one person?

What I said is true. It is the male that "wears" the condom. But then the female "wears" the male... so they both wear the condom...

Confused? I am. ;)

vanth said:
No need to be so snarky. Also it was a one sentence post, kind of hard to take it out of context.

If it was taken out of context, the length would not change that fact. But never mind. :)

I know a few men who would jump at the chance to be in control of contraception if it one day became readily available.

With male AND female contraception, it lessens the odds of pregnancy significantly. Being that one of the main reasons condoms are used during sex is to avoid unplanned pregnancy, i would be worried that it has the potential to increase the risk of stds.

There was a thread in slr a while ago about splitting the costs of contraception which was interesting..

Edit - Link: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=333399&highlight=contraception

Last edited:
I mean that the condom affects both the male and the female in terms of sensation, and can be carried by either.

In regard to taking your post out of context, I meant that your post was one sentence and I quoted the entire thing.

vanth said:
I mean that the condom affects both the male and the female in terms of sensation, and can be carried by either.

For sure.

vanth said:
In regard to taking your post out of context, I meant that your post was one sentence and I quoted the entire thing.

Yes but your response was seemingly not in relation to what I had responded to. ie. erasers post, which I was responding to, was not included in your quote.

It doesn't matter. But it is possible to take something out of context even if you quote the whole thing. Just as it's possible to keep something in context while only quoting part of it.

eras3r said:
I wouldn't consider that true at all. Consider this. A woman creates an egg, usually, once a month. One single solitary egg.

Men produce a garbajillion sperm in each ejaculation. It's easier to pin point one thing than it is to figure out how to stop millions. Ya know?

I think thats exactly what he was saying so how can it not be true?

eras3r said:
Lots of contraception is 95% or greater, with perfect use. Your typical user of the patch, pill, what have you, generally lessens the effectiveness due to lack of consistency.

Why are you against men using birth control, Dan? I'd like to hear an honest answer, not a "NOT A FAT CHANCE IN HELL!!@#!!ELEVENTY!"

Why should it be the woman's responsibility to use contraception when it obviously takes two to procreate. :)

I would hope that lots of contraception is 95% or higher with perfect use...........no point in using it if its not one hell of a lot higher.

Please show me where I said that I was against men using birth control?

Regards your last statement...................... In actual fact it should be more of the mans responsibility to ensure she is using it. Its the only chance the man has of getting any say in the matter so he better do it right while he can.

Once the deed is done the women get all the fucking rights and the men get nothing.............being totally at the mercy of the woman so damn straight the dude had better take all the responsibility for ensuring the woman is indeed using a 100% or as close as possible to it, means of contraception. Personally I would also still use a condom irrelevant of the womans moaning and carrying on.

Woman cannot be trusted in this area of life.

Dan, this is the statement I was referring to that you said. Maybe I missed something or read way too much into it.

MazDan said:
Not a snowflakes chance in hell would I be using it.............so you better be on the pill biatch.

Whats the point when its only a 95% effective.

The problem I foresee with the male shot is that maybe men cannot be trusted in that arena, as well. Both men and women can be highly irresponsible with the use of contraception, women say they're on the pill, men say they'll pull out (which is the lamest thing ever). And like trancegirlie mentioned, I too foresee less use of condoms which puts people in non-monogamous relationships at higher risk of STIs.

I don't agree that women have the total right on the decision of having a child. This has always been an issue where I sit on the fence with, personally.

Love To Be In Control Of My Own... As I'm Sure MANY Guys On BL/TheWorld Would......

trancegirle said:
I know
a
few
men
who would jump at the chance
to be in control of contraception
if
it
one day
became readily available.

I know many of these men.
Many have had children.
Some not by way of choice.
It frustrates
many
a
man
when they go to a clinic,
an',
after already havin' a child
(or two~~~~),
dealin' with Doctors that won't
perform a vasectomy...
...as you may want another chil' later.

Cool Idea.

Not Upto Dr. Nick.

This Is Not Rare.

PEACE
UnS
:\ :)

doofqueen said:
I really appreciate your mind and what you have to stay on this place and mostly agree with you. I agree that we will never be the same nor should be strive to be. I don't agree with your last statement though. These "values" (if you're talking about old fashioned gender roles within society etc) do they include mens rights to beat their wives cos they own them? Obviously not and i don't see you agreeing but my point is that not everything that was seen as a value "back then" are still going to be valid now. Don't you think it's good to move on and evolve and share the load?

domestic violence is still an issue/problem in todays society. i dont understand what you are getting at.

...kytnism...:|