• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Ecstasy flashbacks

poak

Bluelighter
Hey, I haven't done E for about 6 months now and I only rolled two times in the past. I sometimes have short moments when I feel very weird and I find that the feeling is comparable to the effects of ecstasy.

I also get this feeling sometimes when I'm falling asleep and it once hapenned two nights in a row while feeling asleep. Are these feelings I get while falling asleep ecstasy flashbacks? I sometimes get similar feelings while awake but they seem to be more intense while I'm falling asleep.

hmm usually i get those mini rolls when i hear a song i enjoy while rolling. you could just be releasing seretonin which is what happens on E. usually your body lets out seretonin when you do something healthy. like exercise or what not.

I can make myself feel like I'm on drugs if I'm experiencing a natural high like a good show. Just goes to show you that drugs aren't necessary to enjoy the music and have a good time. I haven't rolled at a show in 6 months :)

I have similar experiences sometimes, especially if I've rolled recently or will be rolling soon (soon enough to set a date). It's usually music that sets it off, I have a little mini roll if I put on any kind of EDM while I'm falling asleep. Laying on my back seems to work best.

I started to roll when I was in the sauna for WAY TOO LONG....it was an MDMA flash back...it SUCKED because of the sauna and i was overheated...MDMA gets lodged and stored in fat cells and can be released from the fat tissues later to create a "flashback"...actually most drugs can get built up in the body's tissues (mostly fat tissues)

You got a source that backs that story? I never heard of MDMA being stored in fat cells.

Id also really like to see a legitimate source for that. Youre thinking about THC too much. MDMA is not stored in your fat cells, because if it did then its detection period in urinalysis/blood tests would be greater than a few days. It doesnt drain or get stored in your spine either. Utter bullshit. Most drugs do not get stored in your body for more than a few days. THC is the one that is most common to remain in your body for an extended period of time. All other drugs are out of your body within a week, maybe a few days more with heavy use.

Back to the original question, when you go to sleep serotonin is converted into melatonin. My theory is that during that process there may be some excess serotonin that wasnt converted so your brain just released it. Since you are familiar with the feeling of serotonin being released through your MDMA use, you were able to compare it to that.

Im on a pretty good afterglow from a roll last night and every now and then Ill get that same feeling but I just know its because of unmetabolized MDMA that I still have in me.

Last edited:
Tweakyb definitely put it best. I've never read anywhere that MDMA is stored in the body, but serotonin is a natural thing, so you might just be more aware of your brain releasing it because of your past experiences with MDMA. If you really enjoy sleeping, or your bed is particularly comfortable and happy place for you (I know I love pillows and soft things, so I love my bed!) then your brain may be releasing serotonin - and possibly some dopamine because of the reward cycle bit - whenever you crawl into bed at night. MDMA also influences these so it could just be that the results are similar...

your bed is particularly comfortable and happy place for you (I know I love pillows and soft things, so I love my bed!)

This basically happened to me when I was rolling last night. Before I got home it was already at the tail end but once I laid down and turned music on, it shot right back up for another hour.

Poak - yes, this makes sense.
I have had an evolution of symptoms over the course of 7 months since my last dose. MANY of them closely resemble some of the subjective effects of MDMA.

It sounds like your case is relatively minor, but I had dizziness/spatial distortions for weeks after use. I have also had sensations, sometimes subtle, on the nerves of my face and scalp.

Head-pressure can sometimes feel like rolling, when it isn't painful or bothersome.
This still happens, after 7 months.
However, none of these symptoms are associated with euphoria.
At best, they could be described as mildly pleasant - on rare occasions.

I have seen many anecdotal reports from other users saying similar things.
Some even have mild visual hallucinations along with their dizziness.
In medical case-reports, severe visual hallucinations have been documented, along with other symptoms, like jaw clenching and bruxism (teeth grinding). Keep in mind some of the ex-users had been abstinent for years.

MDMA 're-wires' the brain. This is considered a proven fact by most scientists.
Decreases of regional blood flow in the brain are common following use.
Increases sometimes follow, but this is less common. It is considered a marker of 're-wiring' and is often seen to last for months.
It is the consequences of this 're-wiring' that remain a mystery.

What you describe is entirely plausible.
Consider it a sign that at least one region of brain tissue is being 're-wired'.
The 5-HT system has been shown to recover over a very long, protracted period of time. You should give yourself a lot more time before rolling again. 1 year minimum, in my opinion.
The only way to speed it up is exercise.

Poak - yes, this makes sense.
I have had an evolution of symptoms over the course of 7 months since my last dose. MANY of them closely resemble some of the subjective effects of MDMA.

It sounds like your case is relatively minor, but I had dizziness/spatial distortions for weeks after use. I have also had sensations, sometimes subtle, on the nerves of my face and scalp.

Head-pressure can sometimes feel like rolling, when it isn't painful or bothersome.
This still happens, after 7 months.
However, none of these symptoms are associated with euphoria.
At best, they could be described as mildly pleasant - on rare occasions.

I think OP is referring to ecstasy flashbacks not long lasting subjective symptoms of mdma use.

Splinter's Thoughts (With MasterSplinter)

MDMA 're-wires' the brain. This is considered a proven fact[Citation Needed] by most scientists.[Citation Needed]
Decreases of regional blood flow in the brain are common following use.
Increases sometimes follow, but this is less common. It is considered a marker of 're-wiring' and is often seen to last for months.
It is the consequences[Citation Needed] of this 're-wiring' that remain a mystery[Citation Needed].

What you describe is entirely plausible.
Consider it a sign that at least one region of brain tissue is being 're-wired'[Citation Needed].
The 5-HT system has been shown to recover over a very long, protracted period of time. You should give yourself a lot more time before rolling again. 1 year minimum, in my opinion[Citation Needed].
The only way to speed it up is exercise.

^^^^^ 8)

OP You will be fine. Ive seen these types of all sorts of places. The brain re-wires itself all the time due to its high plasticity and adaptable format. Unless you have some sort of brain scarring or physical damage, your brain will always find a work around to take care of any changes.

But fer sher maybe take a month or two off. Rollin that often can only cause more than whats already what even heavy users like FirstBadComedown might consider damage.

Fact of the matter is that rollin on some tough beans day in day out programs in like a good movie or video game....it just keeps playin over and over less you stop thinkin about it and break the cycle.

So no need to worry, this happens all the time to people, but dis is the point where u gots 2 be smart and take a little break for now. It will be worth it for next time you roll.

Good beans

hmm usually i get those mini rolls when i hear a song i enjoy while rolling...

THIS is what keeps me rolling. It's so awesome when you play a song from that night weeks later, gets cold chills run through your entire body, then you feel like you're lightly rolling again for 4 hours.

Sorry, offtopic, I know...Just had to internet-high-five Socal.

Socal -
Both the OP and myself were comparing it to the subjective effects.
Speaking of subjective, the term 'flashbacks' is commonly used to refer to an event that mimics the subjective effects of the drug long after its use.

There is no consensus on why this phenomena occurs.
Predisposition to mental illness may be implicated, but two large scale studies of LSD users in the 70s suggest that flashbacks occur in 20-28% of users without mental illness:

"Several studies have tried to determine how likely a user of LSD, not suffering from known psychiatric conditions, is to experience flashbacks. The larger studies include Blumenfeld's in 1971[51] and Naditch and Fenwick's in 1977,[52] which arrived at figures of 20% and 28%, respectively." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysergic_acid_diethylamide

LSD is believed by many to 're-wire' the brain, as well. Many users will attest to this.
MDMA is recognized by science to fit the definition of a 'neurotoxin', whereas LSD is not.
This means it will easily kill neurons 'in vitro', or in the lab.

Unless you are willing to contest this information, you must conclude that MDMA 'flashbacks' are evidence of this 're-wiring' process.

The subjective terminology seen above - 'flashbacks' and 're-wiring' - reflect the incomplete understanding of the brain and the 5-HT network. They do not, however, invalidate the premise.

Yes, the OP is likely experiencing this 're-wiring' phenomena.
If you dislike my use of this term, then call it 'neuro-adaptation'.
But lets not leave it at 'flashback'.

Master Splinter -
The OP will be fine, I agree.
The brain is plastic and resilient, over time.
However, the OP is looking for a real answer about what they are experiencing.
The rest of your post is ridiculous.

The OP needs to take more than a 'month or two' off.
They used for 6 months and are now complaining of 'flashbacks'.
Suggesting a mere 'month or two' for recovery is absurd, as is your assertion that 'this happens all the time to people'.

Pointing out that this is common does not make it 'nothing to worry about'.
When an OP posts something like this, it is a warning to other users about what can happen. It is also clear anecdotal evidence that 're-wiring' DOES happen. Dismissing the significance of this, for your own convenience, is
immature. It is also a trait of addictive behavior.

The brain's plasticity is NOT an argument against me, either.
There is a whole list of other injuries your brain can sustain and still 'adapt' to.
Which ones are 'nothing to worry about' like MDMA??

I am not a heavy user, and you know it.
Perhaps that is why I am capable of writing in English, and you, sir, are nearly illegible.

What will you do when all my 'citations' show up?
8o

E Flashbacks - freeeeeee rollsssssssss. Sometimes when I'm clubbing and get worked up when I'm dancing I get em too. Embrace it man, the euphoric mini rush is amazing

Socal -
Both the OP and myself were comparing it to the subjective effects.
Speaking of subjective, the term 'flashbacks' is commonly used to refer to an event that mimics the subjective effects of the drug long after its use.

There is no consensus on why this phenomena occurs.
Predisposition to mental illness may be implicated, but two large scale studies of LSD users in the 70s suggest that flashbacks occur in 20-28% of users without mental illness:

"Several studies have tried to determine how likely a user of LSD, not suffering from known psychiatric conditions, is to experience flashbacks. The larger studies include Blumenfeld's in 1971[51] and Naditch and Fenwick's in 1977,[52] which arrived at figures of 20% and 28%, respectively." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysergic_acid_diethylamide

LSD is believed by many to 're-wire' the brain, as well. Many users will attest to this.
MDMA is recognized by science to fit the definition of a 'neurotoxin', whereas LSD is not.
This means it will easily kill neurons 'in vitro', or in the lab.

Unless you are willing to contest this information, you must conclude that MDMA 'flashbacks' are evidence of this 're-wiring' process.

The subjective terminology seen above - 'flashbacks' and 're-wiring' - reflect the incomplete understanding of the brain and the 5-HT network. They do not, however, invalidate the premise.

Yes, the OP is likely experiencing this 're-wiring' phenomena.
If you dislike my use of this term, then call it 'neuro-adaptation'.
But lets not leave it at 'flashback'.

Master Splinter -
The OP will be fine, I agree.
The brain is plastic and resilient, over time.
However, the OP is looking for a real answer about what they are experiencing.
The rest of your post is ridiculous.

Suggesting a mere 'month or two' for recovery is absurd, as is your assertion that 'this happens all the time to people'.

Pointing out that this is common does not make it 'nothing to worry about'.
When an OP posts something like this, it is a warning to other users about what can happen. It is also clear anecdotal evidence that 're-wiring' DOES happen. Dismissing the significance of this, for your own convenience, is
immature. It is also a trait of addictive behavior.

The brain's plasticity is NOT an argument against me, either.
There is a whole list of other injuries your brain can sustain and still 'adapt' to.
Which ones are 'nothing to worry about' like MDMA??

I am not a heavy user, and you know it.
Perhaps that is why I am capable of writing in English, and you, sir, are nearly illegible.

What will you do when all my 'citations' show up?
8o

*sigh* What does LSD have to do with anything?

EDIT: No one MUST conclude anything about MDMA based on LSD. They are different chemicals and their mechanisms of operation are not the same, otherwise they would result in the same experience.

EDIT again:
. He said he HAS NOT used ecstasy in 6 months and only used TWICE EVER. FFS.

Last edited:
You should give yourself a lot more time before rolling again. 1 year minimum said:

IDIOT! The OP said they have only rolled twice in their life! and Not for the last 6 months! Where do you come up with this shit!?

And ummm... The only citations I see are you quoting Wikipedia! Does it take that long to write down citations? What is wrong with you? Suuuuch a nice day when you didn't post yesterday. Go to a doctor and have them check your head along with the enema you stuck in your ass. Weirdo.