• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does using while tapering ruin the whole taper?

I have to say, after tapering down the suboxone in 8 days and then switching to vitamine c for 7 days, I didn't have withdrawals if I dosed correctly. I used kratom starting with 10-15g per day and quickly reduced it to 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1. But now I do start to feel withdrawals (after not touching sub for 3 weeks and no heroin/oxy for more than 1 month). I wonder if it's the suboxone withdrawals, or just the kratom dependency that took over. It's more like having no energy at all, and if I take 1g of kratom, i'm good for 2 hours. Then I just suffer through the day, take clonidine 0.05mg for a 4-6 hr sleep but wake up after that, groggy but unable to sleep.

The short duration of kratom makes it annoying to "taper". I know it sounds weird, but would 0.5mg suboxone for 2/3 days help to assist with completelly quitting, or just suffer through the days?

I do go for 5k runs on 1.5g kratom, and feel great afterwards for 7 hours, but then my sleep seems even more distorted.

I also have some naltrexone and if I could take that to speed things up in 1 day with bad withdrawals, I would take it, but that's probably not how it works. I'd probably suffer much longer

Anyway, I also have benoz's available. If anybody has any tips how to jump of 1g kratom with at least some energie to work, happy to hear :)
1 g of Kratom is a really small amount. No doubt it gives some energy but is it possible that a ‘normal’ amount of energy for you is much closer to how you feel when you have no Kratom than when you take that 1g.
Another really good way to get that energy level you’re looking for is through diet. Processed foods taste great, but they are difficult to digest and cause lethargy and sleep problems. Adding vitamin C is never a bad choice, but life gets a whole lot better when you put down the Coke and go for an orange. Dairy is hard to break down too. Cheese, mayonnaise, even cream in your coffee can cause these problems you describe. Maybe the solution is to take some of the bad things out of your diet to get that energy back, instead of trying to add more things as a band-aid to fix the holes in your daily consumption habits.

1 g of Kratom is a really small amount. No doubt it gives some energy but is it possible that a ‘normal’ amount of energy for you is much closer to how you feel when you have no Kratom than when you take that 1g.
Another really good way to get that energy level you’re looking for is through diet. Processed foods taste great, but they are difficult to digest and cause lethargy and sleep problems. Adding vitamin C is never a bad choice, but life gets a whole lot better when you put down the Coke and go for an orange. Dairy is hard to break down too. Cheese, mayonnaise, even cream in your coffee can cause these problems you describe. Maybe the solution is to take some of the bad things out of your diet to get that energy back, instead of trying to add more things as a band-aid to fix the holes in your daily consumption habits.
That's indeed a good idea. I do eat both healthy foods (egg, avocado, chicken, beans vegetables etc.) but also really bad food (mountain dew, nutella, cheese, mayo, cookies, chocolate).

I guess food is just another thing to "quit", somehow that's also one of the hardest things to quit, harder than smoking :p

I gave up soda once for about 3 years. It was harder than quitting oxy. Not as physically difficult, but more of a mind-game. And they sell it EVERYWHERE, so it’s a constant battle. In the end I worked it back into my diet like an addict.

Gonna set you back a good ways, if you are thinking about using during the taper the actual end of the taper is gonna be real rough. If its too much just slow the taper and go back up a few mg, dont splurge all at once that fucks you way harder

Man, if you're 3 weeks off suboxone and only using middling bits of kratom, I would bite the bullet and wait it out. You're basically out of the woods. Your story sounds like you had a walk in the park compared to some. Your energy levels will come back slowly but surely. I would under no circumstances start dosing bupe again.

There was a great statement in a Kratom documentary that just came out,
“People think slavery ended in 1865. If you’re on opiates, you’re still a slave.”
Getting away from bupe is the best think you can do.

Kind of embarrassing, but I decided I could do oxy once over the weekend, ended up taking it for 2 and a half days (with a tiny bit of speed as well). Well I can tell you, it surely fucked things up again for a few days :p, feels like a setback of a week. Quite an unforgiving slip.

I only took some clonidine and dxm on the days after. and will took the rest of the week off to indeed "bite the bullet" for a few days.

Have any of you tried tapering with codeine? It can be done over a week, but you wouldn't want to have a monster habit ie over a gram a week. I've managed to do it on a few occasions - about to do it again this weekend.

Have any of you tried tapering with codeine? It can be done over a week, but you wouldn't want to have a monster habit ie over a gram a week. I've managed to do it on a few occasions - about to do it again this weekend.
Never tried it, I tried getting codeine to test it but I couldn't really acquire it. When I was using I did approx 150mg oxy or 200mg brown per day. Not sure codeine would be strong enough for that.

What is your tapering protocol? (your habit dose, doses of codeine, the drop per day, times of taking codeine per day, etc)

How did you feel after that week, as one week seems rather short for allowing your brain to re-adjust?

I have used ‘alternative’ opiates to taper off/away from oxy many times. In my personal experience, they all act on my mind and body in a slightly different way so I first have to make the transition from oxy to whatever the substitute might be.
For me it’s clear that it goes the same every time: it takes about 4-7 days to transition to the new opiate. The fact that I’m not quitting oxy cold turkey is very obvious, but it still sucks a little. Going from lets say Codeine to oxy feels as natural as peanut butter and jelly, but going from oxy to codeine feels more like smearing peanut butter on a dogs nose and watching him lick it off for a week. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to make it suck a little less but in the end, it’s really only time that makes it better.

The BIG bonus is that once the transition is made, the wd’s will be almost nonexistent. And after two weeks I can’t remember why I got hooked on oxy in the first place. Weed edibles help a lot, particularly with sleep, but mainly because time passes unnoticed when I’m stoned. Benzos are a bonus for sleep. Finding something that passed time is really important.

I did a cold turkey off oxy before. It was a solid month before I felt ‘normal’. Transitioning to something less expensive or more readily available (and less pleasurable) has worked well for me in the past. When it’s something I don’t enjoy I’m not likely to cheat/indulge with oxy. I have been right where you are e Angelomorgano. “I have earned this. What’s it going to hurt if I give myself a little break this weekend?” Then once becomes a whole evening, which becomes a whole weekend or a whole week.

I have used ‘alternative’ opiates to taper off/away from oxy many times. In my personal experience, they all act on my mind and body in a slightly different way so I first have to make the transition from oxy to whatever the substitute might be.
For me it’s clear that it goes the same every time: it takes about 4-7 days to transition to the new opiate. The fact that I’m not quitting oxy cold turkey is very obvious, but it still sucks a little. Going from lets say Codeine to oxy feels as natural as peanut butter and jelly, but going from oxy to codeine feels more like smearing peanut butter on a dogs nose and watching him lick it off for a week. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to make it suck a little less but in the end, it’s really only time that makes it better.

The BIG bonus is that once the transition is made, the wd’s will be almost nonexistent. And after two weeks I can’t remember why I got hooked on oxy in the first place. Weed edibles help a lot, particularly with sleep, but mainly because time passes unnoticed when I’m stoned. Benzos are a bonus for sleep. Finding something that passed time is really important.

I did a cold turkey off oxy before. It was a solid month before I felt ‘normal’. Transitioning to something less expensive or more readily available (and less pleasurable) has worked well for me in the past. When it’s something I don’t enjoy I’m not likely to cheat/indulge with oxy. I have been right where you are e Angelomorgano. “I have earned this. What’s it going to hurt if I give myself a little break this weekend?” Then once becomes a whole evening, which becomes a whole weekend or a whole week.
I'll ask around for some codeine (if there will be a next time), but wouldn't you need huge doses of codeine? The migration to the new situation is exactly what I felt from oxy/hero to suboxone as well, not really bad, but a little sucky. I guess the same was true for kratom.

So last week I didn't use anything anymore and worked out on friday, saturday and sunday. The run on sunday went horrible but I told myself exactly what you said. "I can do Oxy once, I deserve a break and a good night sleep". I ended up doing oxy in a timespan of 4 hours (50mg total) and went out and played football for 3 hours and put the oxy somewhere I cannot access it again for a few weeks up to a month. I feel I kept the promise to myself and that's how it should stay in the future.

Today I feel great, every fiber in my body hurts from running and playing football in the sun for so long, but I guess that also really needed to get out of this depressing corona time. I feel like a major step closer to normal, but still a bit tired.

I know many people said it's impossible to use once per week or very hard to keep it to twice per month, but I hope to be able to keep it at that. What would be great is something you can take that prevents use for 2 weeks, something that takes "choice" away.

I'll ask around for some codeine (if there will be a next time), but wouldn't you need huge doses of codeine? The migration to the new situation is exactly what I felt from oxy/hero to suboxone as well, not really bad, but a little sucky. I guess the same was true for kratom.

So last week I didn't use anything anymore and worked out on friday, saturday and sunday. The run on sunday went horrible but I told myself exactly what you said. "I can do Oxy once, I deserve a break and a good night sleep". I ended up doing oxy in a timespan of 4 hours (50mg total) and went out and played football for 3 hours and put the oxy somewhere I cannot access it again for a few weeks up to a month. I feel I kept the promise to myself and that's how it should stay in the future.

Today I feel great, every fiber in my body hurts from running and playing football in the sun for so long, but I guess that also really needed to get out of this depressing corona time. I feel like a major step closer to normal, but still a bit tired.

I know many people said it's impossible to use once per week or very hard to keep it to twice per month, but I hope to be able to keep it at that. What would be great is something you can take that prevents use for 2 weeks, something that takes "choice" away.
Genius move. How did you put it “somewhere you cant access it”?. Everywhere I have tried to hide mine has failed, and usually failed very quickly.

I have to say, after tapering down the suboxone in 8 days and then switching to vitamine c for 7 days, I didn't have withdrawals if I dosed correctly. I used kratom starting with 10-15g per day and quickly reduced it to 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1. But now I do start to feel withdrawals (after not touching sub for 3 weeks and no heroin/oxy for more than 1 month). I wonder if it's the suboxone withdrawals, or just the kratom dependency that took over. It's more like having no energy at all, and if I take 1g of kratom, i'm good for 2 hours. Then I just suffer through the day, take clonidine 0.05mg for a 4-6 hr sleep but wake up after that, groggy but unable to sleep.

The short duration of kratom makes it annoying to "taper". I know it sounds weird, but would 0.5mg suboxone for 2/3 days help to assist with completelly quitting, or just suffer through the days?

I do go for 5k runs on 1.5g kratom, and feel great afterwards for 7 hours, but then my sleep seems even more distorted.

I also have some naltrexone and if I could take that to speed things up in 1 day with bad withdrawals, I would take it, but that's probably not how it works. I'd probably suffer much longer

Anyway, I also have benoz's available. If anybody has any tips how to jump of 1g kratom with at least some energie to work, happy to hear :)
It absolutely does ruin the taper, if you’re tapering down, then your body is eliminating receptors, if you use a higher dosage or more than you should/need to, then your body will create more opioid receptors, therefore you will need to use more, ruining any tapering you did. That’s the science behind building tolerance, why you physically need more.

I recently tapered down to less than a bag a day and then slipped up for a day, I got drunk, and did like 6-8 bags, it completely screwed me up, after I had to use at least 5 a day until I managed to taper down to 2-3 before giving up and switching back to suboxone.
I had initially switched to opiates, after deciding to use for fun, to taper off of that and try to stop altogether, cause I’ve been on subs for 2 1/2 years. The process was hell though, I waited 41 hours and still got PWD (precipitated withdrawals). I personally do not like continuing on subs after that, so I used to counteract the PWD. I then got a test kit and called my Dr to let them know what was going on, where I also took a urine, both to test if there was fentanyl in what I was using and sure enough it was fentanyl, which truly makes things FAR worse.
My body had created tons of receptors as a result and I have to take 16+mg of subs now, when, before I decided to use, I had tapered down to 1mg.

I do want to note that for suboxone to properly work, you’d have to take it for at least a 1-2 weeks at a proper dosage for it to really settle in and stabilize you, so if you’re going from oxy/H to subs for a week then kratom, the subs and the kratom only acted as buffers to tide you over, while also not giving the subs a chance to do it’s job, but if it helps you avoid WDs and the kratom helps you taper down as well, then that’s great, but physically the opiates and subs will have left your system and if you were using kratom for weeks, even more than just a week then you’ve passed the time that your body would’ve had WDs from opiates or subs, so that’s all kratom, but your body is also using different substances and is WD from that as a whole, but technically it would be the kratom at this point.

When I switched back this time, I considered finding something that I could use that I was certain did not have fentanyl, because illicit fentanyl can stay in your system for a very long time, it builds up over time and stores in your fat cells, it will then slowly release and fill your receptors, making the WD process take much longer than it normally does, which is why I still had PWD after 41 hours...I also wasn’t having bad WDs at all during that time, I’ve been using for 17 years and I never had such an easy time..I should’ve followed the COWs scoring system for WDs and waited until I really needed to take it...but I thought 41 hrs was more than enough time.
Anyways, I couldn’t find anything, however I spoke to my Dr about how I was going to switch over and what I wanted to do,
My Dr prescribed me 30 Oxycodone (Roxi 10s), which I took for 4 days, meanwhile I microdosed the subs, increasing my dosage everyday.
I also was prescribed a cocktail of Clonidine (helps with hot flashes and more), Gabapentin (helps with anxiety and more), Ondansetron (nausea), Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen (pains), all of which I also took for the first few days to help.
My tolerance was so high that I had to take 9 of the roxi just to feel comfortable, but I still didn’t feel high in the least bit. Afterwards i took 3 at a time 2-3 times throughout the day, the clonodine and gabapentin helped knock me out so I fortunately slept through a lot of it, the roxi def did help though and I’m REALLY glad my Dr did that for me, which apparently they do in Canada and Europe. I did have problems with my pharmacist giving it to me though, I had to explain everything to my pharmacist, while I was having WDs..not fun, it was hard to stay composed, I wanted to flip the fuck out and jump over the counter in my WD rage, haha.
The time didn’t drag on, as it does for most people who are going through WDs, but the roxi caused me to have really intense cravings, which I wasn’t mentally prepared for and nearly relapsed because of it, but I had to remind myself that I’m not doing it to get high and to just push through it. Cravings aren’t usually an issue for me when having WDs, so this was unusual for me. These are things to keep in mind for anyone who may want to go this rou

My plan is to taper off of the suboxone, over the course of the next few months, dropping my dose every 2 weeks, so I can allow my body to stabilize on the lower dose, while it rids itself of extra receptors that aren’t being filled.

Really, I never needed to get on subs in the first place, my old Dr started me on 8mg/day and suggested that I be on it for 8 years, half of the time that I used opiates, which is insane and I do not want to do, 2 1/2 years is way too long for me.
When I started taking subs, I was only using 1-2 bags or a blue 30 or 2, once or twice a week, but like clockwork, I HAD to use, I’d weirdly have light WDs if I skipped a week or tried to. I’d been using like that for about 6 months.
After using for so many years I had managed to be able to do that, but I do know that for a lot of people, it’s extremely difficult to pull that off and I did always feel like I could fall back into a full blown addiction where I’m using on a daily basis. I decided to get on subs because I have a family, things were falling apart and I needed to take care of myself.
The subs did help me though, I just maybe didn’t need to be on such a high dosage, 1mg probably would’ve been fine.
But this is manageable..I will be able to taper back down and eventually off of subs, with minimal WDs, if any at all, it’s worth it if you really want to get clean, stay clean and not stress out about how you’re going to pull it off, looking for all kinds of alternative solutions and what not.
It’s what suboxone is for. I’d suggest microdosing up, so you don’t have to take more than you need to, then staying at a comfortable dose for a couple of weeks then start tapering down, dropping
1-2mg every 2 weeks.

Also, if someone is feeling like shit still while taking subs, then they’re taking too low of a dose. If anyone takes opiates shortly AFTER taking subs, they don’t tend to feel much because subs have stronger binding properties than opioids do, even though subs are a partial agonist (covers like 60-90% of your receptors, depends on dose and how many receptors you have, again that is determined by how much you use/how many receptors your body created to host all those opioids) and opioids are full agonists (covers receptors 100%) they have weaker binding properties, which is why you’ll go into PWD if you take subs after you take opiates, the subs stronger binding rips the opioids out of the receptors and sends your body into a frenzy, complete hell, cause it thinks there’s absolutely no dopamine or opioids flowing through your body.
I microdosed while taking oxycodone to slowly build up the buprenorphine in my receptors, it was such a small amount that it did not cause PWD and I stopped taking the roxis before I got up to 1mg of subs in the day.

I’ve explained all of this because I made stupid decisions. I ruined my tapering and I had tapered down to such a low dose and it’s an example of how out of control and shitty things can get, ESPECIALLY when you’re trying to lower your tolerance or quit. It’s a bad idea.

Last edited: