• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does opioid tolerance ever truly diminish entirely?

kurups

Bluelighter
I truly feel like it stays with you forever to some extent. I also am curious about tales ive heard about DXM slowing the tolerance build process and have even heard that it can REVERSE it? Is this true and does anyone know how that happens if so?

The human body is remarkably good at repairing itself, I'd imagine with enough time that yes, any level of tolerance can be brought back down to baseline. With some significantly high levels of tolerance I'd bet that "enough time" could be decades though.

I personally don't know anything about DXM reversing tolerance, but it has the ring of something too good to be true.

bioplasticity is documented, but psychologically you never quite seem to recover.

I dont think so at all. After not taking any opiates for a year an a half i decided to take 50 mg of hydro 5/325, thinking it would be a good buzz. Well i later found out they were 10/325 and i was just fine.... felt like i expected the 5omg dose to feel.

No in my experience the tolerance doesn't completely diminish but the longest Ive been clean from all opioids after I got physically addicted was 2 months.

It does drastically drop though, but it also drastically increases with repeated use after a relapse. A one bag shot of dope after I was clean for 2 months got me nodding hard but I was back to doing 7-10 bags shots in a week. Also before I did the dope I shot up 2mg of subutex & I barely felt anything. Newcomers to opioids get fucked up from subutex/suboxone.

With repeated use tolerance rapidly builds to where it was at its peak in about a week. This phenomenon has been well documented from doctors who treat patients for pain who've been on analgesics before.

Nope I managed to feel the initial legendary "first ultimate high" from opiates 3 times and never again. In the very early days when I started using I would feel that ultimate high, use for a couple months and then stop for 1 or 2 years have it again the first time I used again and repeat until I got into heavy duty opiate use daily for years. Now it's not the same I quit for 2 years straight and the first time using again after all that time was "meh"

I feel like this is a really subjective issue. Different people seem to have very different opinions on this. In my experience, I can say that your tolerance does shrink back down with abstinence, but taking your tolerance to certain extremes is almost like stretching out a t-shirt. You can stretch it out to a certain extent, throw it in the wash and have it back to essentially the same size, but, there is a point of no return. Say, being dependent on 150mgs of Methadone for a few years. I'm not sure if you can ever get back to baseline after something like that.

I also think that there is a difference in tolerance in terms of psychological vs. physiological effects. For instance, I think that the risk of OD'ing after a period of abstinence is always going to be a there, but the high or euphoria that one once got from Opioids can be lost. Just my opinion.

IME yes you can bring your tolerance down...to an extent. Like say, take a break from doing anything for a while. In the past year the shortest break I've done is about 6 or 7 days. Longest break being exactly 30 days. When I used again after each break my tolerance was definitely down. Especially after the 30 days, BUT...once you take your max dose it's like your body remembers it and says "oh yea, this is how much we need now."

My tolerance was almost nothing after being off heavy meds for years...for a year being off of them... Post op meds were weaker and I felt them immediately.

Nice. Whether the break was intentional or not it's great that you could feel the post-op meds. I had surgery a couple weeks ago and it kind of sucked...kind of.

It was intentional... I was having serious breathing issues and was sick of chasing meds. Sorry your post op kind of sucked though :(

IME yes you can bring your tolerance down...to an extent. Like say, take a break from doing anything for a while. In the past year the shortest break I've done is about 6 or 7 days. Longest break being exactly 30 days. When I used again after each break my tolerance was definitely down. Especially after the 30 days, BUT...once you take your max dose it's like your body remembers it and says "oh yea, this is how much we need now."

How does this mean that you can only bring tolerance down to an extent? This means you can only bring tolerance down to an extent in thirty days. Thirty days is nothing, what if someone were to quit for 15 years?

For me, highs are mentally ingrained in my CNS. My physical tolerance absolutely drops but I still remember the high! Kinda similar respects to how a lifter is capable of benching 185 lbs, then unfortunately goes catabolic(losing muscle) but shortly there after is still able to put the 185 lbs. It's because the brain remembers the weight. The brain remembers the drugs!! My two cents..

Be well, be safe.

How does this mean that you can only bring tolerance down to an extent? This means you can only bring tolerance down to an extent in thirty days. Thirty days is nothing, what if someone were to quit for 15 years?

I didn't mean that at the end of 30 days that's what tolerance you'd be stuck with. Or any length of time longer than 30 days. I was explaining my personal experience with lowering tolerance. The fact being that I had only had a 30 day break and that had brought my tolerance down considerably. Of course as long as I parsed everything out and never went back up to my previous max dosage. For me it seems like if I take longer breaks I am less likely to get tripped up by the max dosage thing, at least not as quickly as times past. No science here just how it makes me feel. Although I do believe that eventually something in you just clicks and your body remembers. Kind of like when I get something my stomach gets all gurgly and I get butterflies, even if it's been a super long time in between. I would say with a 15 year break you'd be starting at square one ;)

For me, highs are mentally ingrained in my CNS. My physical tolerance absolutely drops but I still remember the high! Kinda similar respects to how a lifter is capable of benching 185 lbs, then unfortunately goes catabolic(losing muscle) but shortly there after is still able to put the 185 lbs. It's because the brain remembers the weight. The brain remembers the drugs!! My two cents..

Be well, be safe.

Agree with you there. Pretty much how I feel but always seem to have a hard time explaining.

The only time I got completely clean my tolerance dropped like 75 percent in 40 days. But it rose back up real quick like.

I don't think it ever goes back to stasis, no. Whether the phenomenon is physical, psychological, or both, I don't know. But even of your tolerance physically drops back to a static level, you have addictive patterns and expectations ingrained in your mind. That will change how a substance works if nothing else.

I don't think it ever goes back to stasis, no. Whether the phenomenon is physical, psychological, or both, I don't know. But even of your tolerance physically drops back to a static level, you have addictive patterns and expectations ingrained in your mind. That will change how a substance works if nothing else.

Well said.