Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives Dissociative-induced Tinnitus

Chris Timothy

Bluelighter
Hi guys,

I haven't been keeping up with the bluelight lately. Contracting substance-induced tinnitus really sucks, and makes you wanna keep some distance from drug positivity for once. It's not severe tinnitus, but imagine that whenever room ambiance gets quiet enough, like when visiting the throne, you experience the equivalent of having a voice whisper in your ear: "this time you fucked up real bad, dude". Imagine how troublesome meditation gets when it amounts to growing such voice. But today I woke up first noticing the symptom was notably less, so let me report on what's happened, and what I've been gathering from the literature so far. Note that I have used google scholar, I haven't searched bluelight for anecdotal leads yet.

Ironically enough, I had supposedly the next best thing since sliced bread (read: since MXE) arrive in the mailbox at the same time I noticed the come-up ringing-in-the-ears was persisting. But the noise has been more awful than dissociatives can be awesome, so I've had no problem keeping the drawer shut, which might come as a surprise to anyone who might have subtly given me crap about my management skills, you know who you are.

It turns out there are some known substances which can cause this phenomenon, even aspirin (mad doses, but still). I didn't encounter any cases of dissociative-induced tinnitus. On the contrary, ketamine has been mentioned as a possible fix for it. The fact there's a least one dissociative capable of causing it though (3-HO-PCP), gives some credence that antagonizing the NMDAR-complex is at least fiddling with some relevant bits, even though it can clearly backfire. Of course I wasn't compelled to risk putting more oil on the fire. There are some avenues for other brave experiments though, as there are plenty of anti-epileptic substances, and tinnitus is perhaps some sort of auditory epilepsy. It's an idea, the side-effects often seem awful.

What bothered me enormously though was that weed seems to make things worse! And thing is, from the neurological model it really shouldn't.. yet in practice the tone intensifies, and even other tones get added, bloody hell! Those were always gone the next day, but it's still very disturbing to feel as if you're bludgeoning the brainium with simple innocent herbium. It crossed my mind that perhaps it's because 3-HO-PCP allowed me to combine with cannabis in the evening that the damage could've been caused through interaction, as the downer side prevented those blatant rocket fuel interactions you get with toking up on other dissociatives. This would make cannabis complicit. But I haven't been able to quit it entirely, and my hearing still seems to be getting better, so I'm inclined to discredit that theory.

Because I suppose binging 3-HO-PCP should be enough to explain everything. I had the doubts because I reckon I've consumed more MXE than 3-HO-PCP in my life, so why can't I recall any MXE-induced tinnitus? Well, I didn't get into these fugue-ish states with MXE where memory completely stops functioning. You'd be off either in blissful mania, borderline psychosis, or off into hyperspace. Take the upper aspect away from those and you get a situation in which you can seek up some deeper limits. I've reported on the messes I made on 3-HO-PCP, but in the end I found a stable dosing strategy. This allowed me to keep using daily, and becoming a victim of success so to speak.

The literature did discern between THC and CBD. The latter usually is the harmless one. But even CBD felt like a mixed bag: first feeling relief from care dropping away, then getting disturbed later on in so far as it gets in the way of keeping yourself distracted. Getting more into your own head means sitting with closer proximity to the out-of-hand circuitry and its audible presence in consciousness. That said, CBD could still be used to keep THC in check, to get the minimum dose in for closing off the day.

It's interesting to note the psychological component to tinnitus. Just like with anxiety attacks, negative emotional states can apparently start feeding back into the symptoms. One has to wonder whether this explains why weed messes things up, despite looking harmless and even beneficial from the neurological POV. But so that's the advice you get online, try not to worry about it. Problematic advice of course, but it did steer me in the direction of alcohol.

There's old literature with a preachy tone claiming one should start abstaining from booze, as well as caffeine and even salt! Neither of those latter two had any effect as far as I could notice.. I suppose without coffee some people get too drowsy to notice their head's messed up? Newer literature agrees that quitting caffeine could easily make things worse. About alcohol it had more interesting things to say. In one of the bigger surveys, about 2/3 of tinnitus sufferers reported alcohol to have no effect on it, with the other 1/3 divided in positive and negative. I myself get the impression that it helps, maybe because I'm a heavy drinker and the first drink doesn't get me in my head anymore. It crossed my mind that those two camps could be looking at two sides of the hooch cycle: you don't notice it while pissed, and you notice it extra while hungover and in pain. My poor, overly trained liver saves me from hangovers nowadays, so that could make sense. Though in my opinion it's different than with say CBD where the (short) relief is from seizing to care. A nice bender more of less hits the sweet spot of actually somewhat dampening the sound.. though the question should be raised whether drawing such distinction even makes sense, like, is it even objectively there if you're subjectively not experiencing it.

So with any of these common substances the picture is complex, with factors from neurology and multiple levels of psychology interplaying, and it stays up for discussion whether any of 'em really help or harm or not. Since a fair share of tinnitus sees spontaneous improvement, I'm inclined to think the effects are probably irrelevant. Whatever makes the ride smooth I guess.. so yeah, cheers to that. :)

One little side-note about how both tripping and physical hearing damage could end up with the same symptoms. With regular tinnitus the tone can, upon neurological inspection, be seen to correspond to the tones that have been disconnected from the regular auditory pathways. It's not the peep tones overshadowing input from outside, the frequency lanes themselves have been split off and become its own little loop in the mind. It gets described in surprising detail in the literature, surely many leads to be gathered from taking the full dive into the neurological realm. With dissociatives, and especially dissociatives capable of hitting deep over a long time, some parallel can be seen. In both cases there's a forceful hit followed by a disconnection of some sort. That's the idea I got by skimming it. Maybe it's hand-waving.

But so at the moment I'm confident I'll recover from this eventually. I still feel screwed over as I really really dig quietude, I daydream of sabotaging the noisy construction vehicles around me, and I've built an extra quiet PC (while perma-shitfaced, still proud I got something working in the end!), just to end up getting the noise pollution stuck in me own noggin'. One warning for anyone on the frontline pushing the dissociative limit: you don't really pay attention to the come-up tinnitus as you're too busy feeling awesome, obviously. But at some point you start noticing it getting stronger on the comedown, or appearing earlier in the comedown. I didn't think much of it, just thought of it as a couple hours to pay for what preceded. But in retrospect that was the big red flag, and before I knew it the noise was permanent. Any noticeable increase in auditory filth is therefore to be taken seriously.

Hope this helps others with reducing harm.

I have a friend who had one, and only one, dissociative experience: MXE at ~30mg. This triggered horrible tinnitus that made him absolutely miserable. He saw therapists, followed advice (some of it mentioned above), but if it helped, it was subtle.

That was about 5 years ago. Things have improved in that time, but he still has somewhat bad lingering tinnitus.

Some people are clearly more prone than others....

Scary how these anesthetics seem to pick on certain individuals, as is the case with the renal system.

Whelp, hope the bladder of steel is somehow predictive of auditory brainstem of steel..

I experienced this with high doses (750+mg) of DXM, but not any other dissociative. It was only with high doses and abated along the same timeline as the drug left my system. It never lasted more than about 72 hours after the initial effects of a dose, was never anything more than annoying, and always cleared up. I'm glad I'm not one of the people sensitive to this problem...

I have had regular non drug induced tinnitus since I was a kid...and I can actual basically turn it off or turn its volume down to wear I cant hear or be bothered by it through intense focus and concentration on "willing it" to go away.
It takes considerable effort and I can tell its working my my tinnitus going quiet momentarily while I'm focusing on it diminishing then it cranks right back to normal volume....I repeat this until its gone...when you are able to reach the point where you can make do down in volume even just momentarily thsts the sign that you've weakened its grasp on you and if I can get to that point then I know I can kill it temporarily but repeating the process.
This works for me but it took many years of practice to make it happen reliably.
Oddly, disso's have never induced tinnitus in me ....yet.

K holes bring out my tinnitus. As does high doses of dxm. I haven’t experimented with any of dissos. But for me it’s never lasted longer than a day post dose, and is usually only during the major effects, subsiding once I’m down.

Huh.

I thought NMDA antagonists (dissociatives) were supposed to help tinnitus and that NMDA agonists (say, l-theanine) were supposed to make it worse.

I have mild tinnitus from sound-induced damage but it certainly got much better during my recent 3-year ketamine run, though I'd also been chomping low doses of mushrooms and LSD several times a week throughout that time-period. I'm in a ketamine recovery phase (month two disso free) and have been throwing back various ndma agonists as part of my various recovery stacks, the tinnitus has definitely been creeping back.

Ketamine and dissociatives do come with very strong aural hallucinations, sometimes tinnitus-esque, so I wonder if instead of technically being tinnitus it's a more a weird manifestation of a type of dissociative-induced HPPD?

I had thought some experimental work was being done of novel, dissociative-adjacent compounds specifically to modulate tinnitus and aural processing w/o recreational effects.
If you read through most of threads on dissociatives a lot of people are reporting that arylcycholhexelamines are producing tinnitus like effects .
Though I've never experienced any from disso's....it may be a side effect of redosing or taking them several days in a row?
I only do them a few times a year...perhaps this is why I've not had disso-tinnitus . Who knows...

I have had tinnitus for 22 years.....because of too many loud concerts

MXE never effected it......but 3-meo-pcp it got incredibly bad....like gave me a headache bad (never happened before or after)

Scared me off dissos....but o-pce I didn't notice a problem

I would love to try a bunch of these newer ones for sure.....

Ketamine and dissociatives do come with very strong aural hallucinations, sometimes tinnitus-esque, so I wonder if instead of technically being tinnitus it's a more a weird manifestation of a type of dissociative-induced HPPD?

I had thought some experimental work was being done of novel, dissociative-adjacent compounds specifically to modulate tinnitus and aural processing w/o recreational effects.

Can you specify? Modulating tinnitus is exactly what I'm after, of course..

But yeah I would say it's definitely the dissociative, auditory equivalent of HPPD because the white noise sounds exactly the same as the come-up, just like how psychedelic perception disorder is like tripping itself. And since opposite methods seem to work for different people it might be especially important to keep it distinguished from normal tinnitus. Maybe.

Anyway, writing out the OP made me realize I really should just quit the weed, which I've done since. Halving the caffeine intake is also probably a good idea. The first cup still doesn't do anything, but I've just had the second cup and yeah, I think that's when the stimulation starts feeding the symptoms, at least at this point of what hopefully is the process of recovery.

Even though LSD too has apparently caused tinnitus before, acid microdoses do seem fine. It helps with keeping distracted. The mental rest I'm missing out on I now have to find in flow states. So there is an angle for trying to get something positive out of this situation nevertheless. Rolling with the punches, instead of resenting the violence.

Amanita Muscaria seems to help as well, probably in so far as muscimol works as nature's benzo. That is, if the dose is high enough at least, a threshold dose heightens inner head awareness, not unlike CBD. A nice dose is comparable to alcohol, though the edge is still off the day after, which isn't always the case with booze. I still haven't perfected the method of preparation, lots of the data got recorded while dissociated and sometimes I couldn't even read the notes.. which didn't pair well with Teeter's infectious enthusiasm applied to current events.. just made the whole ordeal feel messy and awkward, and I lost focus. Being accused of joining the horde of virus quacks, screw that. But all that becomes insignificant if it actually helps with repairing some damage. We'll see.

I have had tinnitus for 22 years.....because of too many loud concerts

MXE never effected it......but 3-meo-pcp it got incredibly bad....like gave me a headache bad (never happened before or after)

Scared me off dissos....but o-pce I didn't notice a problem

I would love to try a bunch of these newer ones for sure.....

I never experienced tinnitus from 3-meo-pcp, but I used it rarely (500mg over almost 5 years) and always kept my doses on the low side (<=18mg as an insufflated dose). If anything, 3-meo-pcp sharpened my hearing...

I've started looking at the info available in other threads. I hadn't considered the opioid angle of 3-HO-PCP, but apparently hearing damage is a thing with heroin and consorts too. This would be another explanation for getting away with almost three figure gram of MXE, yet getting debilitated by little over ten grams of 3-HO-PCP. If true, this could open up avenues for trying out a dissociative remedy nevertheless. Though weak kidneys might leave the blood dirtier than it could be, which apparently can show up in the hearing apparatus first, considering its sensitivity. Even if not, I really don't want to hear more sound of dissociative come-up any time soon, to use an understatement..

Just keeping blood flow high through exercise seems appealing. Maybe that's where the complaints with caffeine partially come from, it tightens the blood vessels. Yesterday's coffee even gave me slight earache, so this could indicate malfunction of the middle ear itself. Which has indeed various opioid receptors.

So I suppose I'll do the absolutely disgusting thing of diving into depressed 'n utter lethargy, and quit caffeine entirely. If the earache persists I'll have to go rule out inner ear infection as well. I vaguely remember a bug crawling in my ear.. vaguely cuz you know, memory while spacing isn't great.. but if something's in there rotting then that would be compounding things. Ever since I'm having that thought, the symptoms have started getting somewhat unilateral, the ringing seems stronger at the bug side. I can't rule out power of suggestion, but if there's a time to have the ear canal cleaned out, then it's now I guess.

People seem to get used to light tinnitus within a year or two. Even if silence never comes back, at least quality of life should. So at least there's that.

Today is microdose day, but I'm horrified to have to conclude that the interaction between having had a couple of drinks yesterday (a bender to normal standards, but you know, to me a couple of drink (though I'm aiming just for getting the noise down nowadays instead of hammering existence away, which is a big change already)) and acid today is generating tones from the white noise.. predominantly at the non-bug side, reminding me that whatever has crawled into my ear canal and died has ultimately little significance to what's going on.

Of course LSD does some vasoconstriction, and has stimulation even at today's subtle 20µg level. Kinda obvious that therefore any kind of psychedelic wouldn't help my symptoms.. but it highlights that the hooch cycle isn't purely psychological. It's as if ethanal, that lovely breakdown product of ethanol, is of itself a shitty, indirect stimulant. Or, you know, whatever else is responsible for the blood-pressure-shenanigans-and-general-stress component of imbibing fermented sugar.

I mean, this merely called for having another couple of drinks now to balance out the ethanal/ethanol ratio, so to speak. But I've prepared a dose of mycelial Amanita.. yeah I know, another reference to the guide I didn't write.. but it's basically blue magic liquid soaked in citric acid previously planned to be consumed tonight as a soft-drink-on-ice. But even trace amounts of ibotenic acid need be kept far away from alcohol, so I suppose this is gonna turn into an experiment to what degree a lemon amount of citric acid functions as a preservative for a teacup of liquid. Can't wait to get food poisoning in this vulnerable state.. /s

I just hate the thought of having to get hooked on benzos to sort this stuff out. But I have to be realistic that without any intervention whatsoever, I'll just end up losing a lot of sleep, which will feed back into the symptoms and just make things worse.

It's kinda extra painful since getting involved with some other online communities which have arisen since covid have reminded me of how capable I am of blowing people's minds just by disclosing what a person ends up having absorbed after more than a decade and a half of self-imposed social distancing before it was a thing. It happened here at bluelight too, and I'm forever grateful for that. But I almost forgot about it with what I can't but double down on calling rather unsophisticated, blatantly uncultured reaction to dark art. (And DMs received painting me as a greedy addict for openly wondering how to make shoestring Amanita research work aren't the words of any friend anyone needs.. and if you need to continue to publicly slander me for that go ahead.) But getting myself into the state of mind for writing a work of philosophy capable of advancing human thought and preparing us for the challenges ahead, has been leading to aggravation of this tinnitus, which is an extremely draining series of events to experience, feeling like fucking up quality of life up even more after having fucked up quality of life to this extent already. I need to just be patient at this stage I suppose, and not get tantalized.

And no, it's not pretentious if it's honest.

I can add my own experience with tinnitus, or at least a short period I worried about it. And maybe since I don't use dissociatives it is not relevant to what they can actually do but I do have my own experience. So you can tell me to gas up and get lost.if it is not relevant.

It was at time when I realized using aspirin caused a ringing in the ear louder than the normal ringing. Now I say normal ringing because I have come to the conclusion that as long as you have a body with an eardrum you will always have hissing, gurgling, ringing and other sounds just above that luxurious silence that exists behind it. (you will understand that :))

I had about 8 months some years back where this absolutely drove me nuts. I felt I could not get away from the ringing and needed that luxurious silence that I am now not sure I ever experienced. Actually I have had a few DMT trips where just past that carrier wave is total silence. But only then have I felt that I experienced it.

So I go through 8 months of never really getting that total silence, realizing I never really did. And as long as I paid attention to the ringing it brought me misery. So the philosophy that got me passed that was the open buffet analogy. If I go to a buffet and pay attention to all the foods I don't, like bring and them back to my table and complain then I am aware of the bad foods. Where as I can go and get the good food and pay attention that and never focus on the bad food. SImilar to the white noise philosophy, where people have another noise to pay attention to so it drowns out the normal ringing. Another noise to pay attention to to get the mind off the ringing. So part of the solution is what we pay attention to or that white noise idea would never have come about.

Well I could be not really understanding as I am not sure what a dissociative can do to make tinnitus more noticeable or even louder. But it is a common problem that I think we all have, and most don't pay attention too. All I know is I went through 8 months of misery looking for luxurious silence and there is always a ringing there. So it took 8 months to stop thinking about that and focus on other things.

You have a seductive point, JackARoe. Though neurologically tinnitus is well described, and it's a hard observation that there are lost neurons communicating with eachother and bringing noise into consciousness, an arrangement that previously just wasn't there. I'll doublecheck at some point, looking at the literature gets me down, not gonna lie.. Though indeed almost everything's relative, and we just forget our previous reference points. Who knows what amount of rogue connections were there before, unnoticed by consciousness and neurology alike.

It's kinda like trepanation. It's hard from an outside perspective to conclude people who bash open their skull for spiritual release aren't just having a Stockholm Syndrome relation with mutilation. Though you know, why indeed not go with it? This sound I'm hearing constantly is so similar to the sound of dissociative lift-off. It's connected to something I loved. It's the unwanted child of my relation with this entity. Though how can you not love the child if it reminds you of the other parent, whom you once loved.

I'm sure such train of thought comes across as sickening. But like you're saying, what to do with ever-present torture.

In a way I'm just glad I can finally publicly give something a name.

This sound I'm hearing constantly is so similar to the sound of dissociative lift-off. It's connected to something I loved. It's the unwanted child of my relation with this entity. Though how can you not love the child if it reminds you of the other parent, whom you once loved.Though how can you not love the child if it reminds you of the other parent, whom you once loved.

That is such a heavy thought I have to think about that. Like there is a miliion things going on there. Makes tinnitus seem irrelevant. I kind of knew a simple ringing or siren in the ears has deeper connotations. Bioth situations are situations to grow and get past I would imagine if the analogy stands.

Last edited:
Another update. The phonecall with the GP wasn't very helpful. I've walked into his practice while wasted once in the past, so now I have the status of human garbage, what can you do. I'm referred to the hospital, which is perhaps not the best place to go during pandemic times to waste money to confirm what I already know, to get corticosteroids which might be coming too late anyway.

Though it's pretty clear they should help. 3-HO-PCP has the strongest affinity with the µ-opioid receptor, which has the clearest presence on the cochlea. The delta and kappa ones, which 3-HO-PCP covers as well, are found in the hair cells themselves, among other places. So cochlear inflammation makes total sense. Which is the third explanation why caffeine backfires to hard. And also suggests alcohol isn't actually helping either, as it's an inflamer as well. And I've been getting earache hangovers from it, point in case. (But also tickling at both sides, indicating the bug is imaginary, and just like with the MXE bladder issues it's having a healing response.)

Classical tinnitus also comes with inflammation, but on top of oxidative stress, which I suppose links to the mechanical aspect? Sometimes tinnitus is part of labyrinthitis, which has just the inflammation component. Here recovery happens in two to three weeks, with residual symptoms for only a couple of months. Though that would be comparing viral infections with six months of opioid shenanigans.

Both a positive attitude as well as corticosteroids should help. But dealing with the medical system isn't exactly helping the positive attitude.

What an absolute shit call to make.

And I might not even get chemical help if chemical tinnitus can indeed be discerned from noise tinnitus..

I'd call Mr. GP up again to present the case with the strength it deserves. But the only mental illness I admit to is phone phobia. It reliably brings out a speech disorder, nothing I can do about it, especially not sober. I just cannot do the presidential persuasive speech thing via phone laying out clearly how he's complicit in robbing me from my quality of life unless he bypasses protocol and its unnecessary risk.

I just need the corticosteroids, damnit. I don't need a slow trip to a covid container..

Edit: I suppose I have to ignore the covid aspect. I'm wary of iatrogenic damage, received enough of that in my lifetime. But I should trust the docs to keep their own workplace safe enough.

Bit the bullet and made an appointment at the hospital, but it's of course slow as fuck. Sucks ginormous donkey balls if you've just read about how the ossification stage of tinnitus slowly closes the door for effective treatment..

Last edited:
I'd call Mr. GP up again to present the case with the strength it deserves. But the only mental illness I admit to is phone phobia. It reliably brings out a speech disorder, nothing I can do about it, especially not sober. I just cannot do the presidential persuasive speech thing via phone laying out clearly how he's complicit in robbing me from my quality of life unless he bypasses protocol and its unnecessary risk.

I just need the corticosteroids, damnit. I don't need a slow trip to a covid container..

Edit: I suppose I have to ignore the covid aspect. I'm wary of iatrogenic damage, received enough of that in my lifetime. But I should trust the docs to keep their own workplace safe enough.

Bit the bullet and made an appointment at the hospital, but it's of course slow as fuck. Sucks ginormous donkey balls if you've just read about how the ossification stage of tinnitus slowly closes the door for effective treatment..
Jesus Christ!!!
I've had what I would describe as tinnitus that comes on suddenly roughly less than once a month for my entire adult life but I never even tried to have it treated...I honestly CAN turn mine off through extreme mental focus and it stays gone for several weeks so I figured that works for me so ..... but I never ever even thought to look up what causes it and if it could be bad to have it happen repeatedly throughout your life.
I also have an inflammation disorder - Eosinophilic Fasciitis...now I have no idea if the two are related at all but it never occurred to me that tinnitus was related to inflammation whatsoever.

I read your technique above, but whenever my attention latches onto it it just intensifies. Maybe I'm a newbie. For now I'm left with exercise and masking as effective, accessible treatments.

But yeah if yours comes and goes, and you have an inflammation disorder of blood vessels and nerves, then those must be connected. Do you have stress triggers for it? Chronic stress worsens inflammation for everyone, but if you have an especially tight connection between stress and inflammation, and your hearing picks up on this, then it makes sense you in particular can tune it out through calm, sustained attention, as if it were some sort of internal biofeedback mechanism.

Edit: And yep, cutting out sugar and processed foods in general takes the noise down another level, from peeping down to softer hissing.

At this rate that study that nagged on about salt might prove to be right as well, heh. Kinda interesting to have this incrementally sensitive extra sense.

Last edited:
I'm awaking today feeling the symptoms are down to acceptable levels. Got morning meditation in without distress, and that's huge. I'll still visit the hospital, I've read that over here they do give IV anti-inflammatory drugs. Because yes, since tinnitus is the symptom rather than the disorder it's a highly complex phenomenon, and this is reflected in local differences of treatment procedures. I suppose you could tell by how much I changed my mind over the course of this thread. Even diabetes tinnitus is a thing. And well, I've indeed been in a close relationship with the brewery despite having diabetic genes in the family.

The picture could possibly complexify even more. I've gotten ticks this summer, and Lyme's disease doesn't always show on the skin. And even the rona could have something to do with it, in young people apparently it can show up in the brain first, either directly or as a side-effect of a general immune response. Chances are at least one thing in the list of possibilities must be causing the noise through inner ear infection, in which case it's called secondary tinnitus, and that's indeed the treatable kind with better prognosis.

In case of primary tinnitus you can always start slamming procaine by the way, fun fact. Cocaine backfires, but its vasodilator nephew hits the sweet spot for temporary relief, apparently. It would be the general current treatment for the heavier cases if it didn't have the "Trainspotting" vibe to it. Moral of the story: always check online resources for sleazeball avenues the square docs aren't willing to take responsibility for, ha!