• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Discussion: The Death Penalty & Capital Punishment

what would you do if i shot each and every one of you bluelighters with a fully automatic machine gun and said "fuck em, they're just pill popping low life scum without any reason to live other than dirtying up our streets and bush with piles of used syringes." would you give me the death sentance or go "oh no, he doesnt really mean it, he's only mis-informed, lets give him a hotel room where he can plug drugs up his cakehole everyday for 20 years etc.."

If your proven guilty beyond a doubt then you deserve...no,you must face the punishment DEATH.An eye for an eye,if you take a life you should lose your life its that simple.But remember were talking about first degree murder,pre meditated murder.But this is where it starts to get tricky cause theres a fine line between different crimes,sometimes things arent as black and white as you might think.Well thats my opinion...at the moment anyway you may agree you may disagree but thats how i feel.

Capital punishment

No, this has nothing to do with that terrible frenzal rhomb song, it's about state sponsored execution.
I know it's a bit of a macabre topic, but I thought Oz social could do with something a little more serious than the usual threads about the colour of your belly button lint or the name of your pet rock.

Recently I saw the results of a poll in the age on the subject of capital punishment.. This poll suggested that ~50% of Australians support the idea of having capital punishment,
~35% Were opposed to it
~15% were not sure

I don't usually take polls very seriously, but even if we give them a %20 margin of error, it could still be 30%, and it's likely that it's higher.

This alarms me.
I am completely opposed to the death penalty, mainly because I see it as nothing more than state sanctioned murder, and I am against murder.
There are many other damn good reasons I oppose capital punishment, I'll list a few, based on the use of the death penalty in the US.

a) Time and time again, studies conclusively show it does not act as a deterrent, at least no more than life imprisonment does. Just look at the crime rate in the US, that's not hard to see.

b) Contrary to popular opinion, it actually costs less to imprison someone for life (in the US anyway). The lengthy appeals process given to those on death row costs a hell of alot of money, and they usually sit in prison for years before they are executed anyway. This takes away the validity of the "why should we pay for psychos to live" argument. (If anyone wants a reference for this, I'll dig it up for them)

c) Perhaps the most compelling reason, the death penalty is irreversible. Many people have been found innocent and saved before they were killed. It is impossible to have a perfect legal system, and therefore innocent people will always slip through the cracks. Here is a list of 23 innocent people who weren't lucky enough to be saved from their fate at the hands of the state. This is no different that shooting someone in the street as far as I'm concerned, they were murdered for nothing. The only difference is that the state was the murderer, and from the victims point of view, it doesn't mean shit.
Chances are they are not the only ones either. They are just the ones the ACLU knows about.

d) Although not exactly a direct reason, another reason to oppose it is the inherent hypocrisy of a system that gives the state the authority over your life and death, and yet you don't have the same authority over your own life. Suicide is illegal. Assisting a suicide is illegal. It is a disturbing system that grants sovereignty over your body to the state, yet not yourself. If suicide and euthanasia were legalised, then this argument is moot, but this is the situation that exists in the US.

So there are a few of my reasons, what do you think about it?
Would you support the use of the death penalty in Australia? What are your reasons for feeling this way?

Last edited:
I could write a pretty big reply to this, but you've already pretty much covered everything I'd say. Totally agree - especially about point C.

This is a complex issue no matter what side you take, I don't think there is any clear cut answer - there will be if's and but's no matter what argument you put forth.

Personally I've never really put much thought into this issue and luckily I've never been in a situation where such thoughts would arise. I'm a great believer of people should be accountable for their actions, but to what extent and by who is the great debate.

SteveElektro, you make a very valid point in regard to people being executed and then later found innocent. Unfortunately our legal system, in some cases, cannot guarantee the correct verdict has been handed down, and its these cases that a death sentence would be an issue. Death is absolute, there is no turning back and atoning for an inccorect decision. Do we then hold the State on charges of murder?

In the end, we can argue, what gives anyone the right to take anothers life? But we cannot take a simplistic approach - there are too many variables that need to be taken into consideration.

As for the death sentence being a deterant - I disagree. Having worked for many years with young offenders as a youth worker, I can honestly say that consequence never enters the mind - no matter what that consequence may be.

The death penalty can only act as a vehicle for justice for the victoms, and having never been in such a situation I cannot comment on its effectiveness.

Interersting topic, look forward to more replies...

Firstly, my belly button lint is black and grey. My pet rock's name is Thomas.

The need to see people punished for their wrongdoings is one of the deepest and most primal human responses; revenge. It is an emotional response and appeals to simplistic people with little capacity for rational or logical thought.

The right to give and take life belongs to a higher power than any state, nation or institution. It is the most fundamental and basic human right and needs to be recognised as such by all governments.

Capital punishment is cruel, inhuman and barbaric. It has no place in any civilized society.

No, I have never had someone close to me raped or murdered, but if I did, I would hope to prove that I'm a better person than the perpertrator by not thinking that their murder would achieve anything.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
- Gandhi

The first post lists all the usual reasons, and the reasons which amnesty international and others list, but one thing I would like to point out, is the recidivism rate for murder is incredibily low (around 1 %).

I feel this is quite an important point when sentencing those who are supposedly such a risk to society, as most won't reoffend.

Once the trapdoor opens, there's no going back.

Just ask Ronald Ryan (last man hung in Melbourne, you do the history and see if he was guilty ;) )

Last edited:
Good thread and lot's of good points made. I guess I really don't have anything else to add to what's been said other than what my personal opinion on capital punishment is.

To me the system seems to say "We give up. As a society we couldn't think of any other way, so this is what we have to do.." and that's just wrong. We are meant to be moving forward and it's a huge step backwards IMO. It's savage, and primative... like Texas. (haha well kind of). Life improsonment isn't enough either though, and I think it's really a waste. Put these people to work for doing something for good.. I don't know what exactly but I think it's an option that needs to be explored. We have so many prisoners all around the world serving life-sentences or on death-row and while some of them strive to be better people, or have a change of faith, or try to continue thier education, I would say a large number of them do nothing more than sit in thier cells hating the world, and not doing anything at all.

I fail to see how taking someones life should/would ease the pain that the victims are feeling. I like what hoptis said, "The need to see people punished for their wrongdoings is one of the deepest and most primal human responses; revenge. It is an emotional response and appeals to simplistic people with little capacity for rational or logical thought." It's not going to bring back loved ones, or erase what happened from thier minds.. They are going to keep remembering every time they visit the grave or when the anniversary of the death comes up or a birthday. Having experienced something similar in my own family I can safely say this is true.. for me anyway. You don't erase one terrible thing by commiting another one. Life is not something the government or anyone else has any right to take from someone else. Punishment yes, murder no.

And its so hypocritcal of countries like my own, the United States, who have this system in place to go around accusing other countries like China of being inhumane. What a world we live in.

Deathrow Inmates - PenPal.

This topic has been an intense area of Interest for me.

This is an extremely interesting read. I am also opposed to the Death Penalty for much the same reasons, however I don't believe that any human should be treated inhumane, no matter what the crime. Humans are not animals.

To find out more about the Death Penalty, life on the row and the American legal system, I took the time to write to a deathrow inmate a few months ago.

I currently have a Prison PenPal by the name of Jermaine Foster who is on Deathrow in Raiford, Florida. I've been writing to Jermaine for about 3 months in total now and in those 3 months have recieved 2 letters. For obvious reasons, letters take time to arrive and return back to me.

Jermaine admits his wrong doing, and has so in his letters to me. However, He has also described the hard life that he has endured on the row for the last 12 Years. What an interesting story! ... It's very hard for me to look at this two sided, as one side of me thinks "This man killed innocent people" and the other side of me thinks "Everyone makes mistakes, an eye for an eye solves nothing".

You can view Jermaine Fosters Inmate Information, Including photos by visiting this URL http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=912634459

If anyone is interested, they can take the time to read Jermaines story that I believe may have been a court report issued to the court as an overview.

Jermaine Foster - Florida Deathrow http://www.oranous.com/florida/JermaineFoster/Jermaine Foster.htm

You can find Prison Penpals online to write. Run a search on Prison Pen Pals on Yahoo.com - Ofcourse, Take care and be extremely descreet. Using a fake name and a PO Box address would be advisable.

I would not support the Death Penalty in Australia. Australian is not America, lets not forget that! "Don't Mess with Texas"..

Cheers,

Shal!

=D

Last edited:
wow Shal! Can I ask what made you decide to have prison pen pal?

Hiya Haste!

When I was about 13 Years old, I remember sitting and watching a video with my parents. I have no idea what video it was, but I clearly remember watching a person be executed by Lethal injection. At that age I wasn't completely aware of what was happening. The next day I was driving with my dad in the car and I asked him about the video, and what had happened. Thats when I learnt about the Death Penalty. Ever since I had been curious of this evil, inhumane practice.

The thing that made my mind wonder the most was not so much what was happening, but the psychology behind it. The fact that a human is sitting inside a cell, alone, waiting to be killed. How doe's one comprehend that? How does one mentally prepare himself for what is to happen.

I've done endless hours of research on the Internet, I've read books, looked at statistics, read procedures and documents to try and learn as much as I possible could. I came to the end of the road where nothing was new...... so my only chance to learn more, to understand the true facts, was to write and read from the inside of someone who lives the life everyday.

I pondered on it for awhile, a little scared of the consequences of my actions, and then oneday decided to do it.... It's not really that scary provided you do it safely.

Since writing briefly to Jermaine I have learned heaps. Jermaine has sent me the "deathrow canteen menu" of which he can buy from and explained the real life on the row.

I asked Jermaine in my letter how he deals with knowing what is to come. He said that he couldent really answer that question but was sorry for what he had done, and has made peace with god.

I guess it's just a learning experience, something new, and something uncommon. Jermaine has already shared a lot with me and been fairly honest about what he has said.

I think that what we often forget is... These people are humans, they've done wrong, and there being punished. For that justice is served, however, they are still humans, they do still live and exist, eat and breath. Once we forget these inmates are human, we begin to loose our humanity...

They are bad people, that I don't deny. BUT... they are alive. Most are guilty, maybe some are innocent, but they have little chance, no satisfaction, and many have no one at all. left for dead. Tiktok Tiktok...

What is 30 minutes of my time writing a letter, to someone who has no contact with the outside world, someone whos only future is death.. If I can bring that person a little something while they are living, they maybe dying wont be so bad. I'd hate to sit in a cell 24/7 and have nothing. no one.

I don't agree with what they have done. IT'S WRONG!... But I'm not loosing my humanity because of it.

:)

Shal..

Last edited:
Wow shal, that's quite amazing, I may look into this myself.

Also, if anyone who is reading this is in favour of it, please reply as I would like to hear your P.O.V.

Horrible fact #1 Alabama still employs the electric chair as the sole method of execution in the state. The electric chair does not kill instantly, and has been known to botch executions completely sometimes, setting the victim on fire, yet not killing him.
Have you seen the green mile? Well this can happen, regardless of whether or not the victim is prepared properly.

originally posted by Haste
As for the death sentence being a deterant - I disagree. Having worked for many years with young offenders as a youth worker, I can honestly say that consequence never enters the mind - no matter what that consequence may be.

This is so true. Im sure we can all empathise with this point. Not only with crimes, but if you situation compells you to do something, or you have an addiction, that takes precedence over anything. Its a matter of immediate priorities.

Hoptis, i checked my belly button. I have a piece of food in it, and I love your pet rock's name

However - I also agree i dont want the death penalty in Australia. My reason is simple. I dont want to live in a country that has a need for a death penalty. I would rather the governments and the appropiate institutes develope schemes and idea that work on the issues - rather than imposing that big black cloud. I sincerly hope that as a nation we are smart enough to do this.

Not just with crimes (although criminatly encompases the whole topic here) - but with everything. from drugs, to social issues, to health issues, public transport issues and everything in between.

I've just read Foxi's post, and you have said what i think. Shal ..thats great.

I think you'll also find the majority of people on death row are poor.

I think that says a lot about justice IMHO.

fry OJ fry

Poorly expressed, but your right. I think that poverty is a key factor as to the reason that many of the crimes are committed. as haste mentioned earlier - its complicated issue and definately not confined to the fact of crime = punishment. Solutions are always better than reactions. Although capital punishment is a solution isnt it......

This whole topic makes me so fucking sick I can't comment rationally on it...

Steve Elektro - The actual count on that list should be 24. Benny Demps is missing. Not only do innocent people die, but here's a nice look at botched executions.

16. April 23, 1992. Texas. Billy Wayne White. It took 47 minutes for
authorities to find a suitable vein, and White eventually had to help them.

2. Sept. 2, 1983. Mississippi. Jimmy Lee Gray. Officials had to clear the
room eight minutes after the gas was released when Gray's desperate gasps
for air repulsed witnesses. His attorney, Dennis Balske of Montgomery,
Alabama, criticized state officials for clearing the room when the inmate
was still alive. Says David Bruck, "Jimmy Lee Gray died banging his head
against a steel pole in the gas chamber while reporters counted his moans
(eleven, according to the Associated Press)" (Bruck, New Republic, Dec.
12, 1983 at 24-25).

3. December 12, 1984. Georgia. Alpha Otis Stephens. After the first jolt
of electricity failed to kill him , Stephens struggled for eight minutes
before a second charge finished the job. The first jolt took two minutes,
and there was a six minute pause so his body could cool before physicians
could examine him (and declare that another jolt was needed.) During that
six-minute interval, Stephens took 23 breaths.

9. May 24, 1989. Texas. Stephen McCoy. Had such a violent physical
reaction to the drugs (heaving chest, gasping, choking, etc.) that one of
the witnesses (male) fainted, crashing into and knocking over another
witness. Houston attorney Karen Zellars, who represented McCoy and
witnessed the execution, thought that the fainting would catalyze a chain
reaction. The Texas Attorney General admitted the inmate "seemed to have
a somewhat stronger reaction," adding "The drugs might have been
administered in a heavier dose or more rapidly."

10. July 14, 1989. Alabama. Horace F. Dunkins. It took two jolts (nine
minutes apart) to kill this mentally retarded inmate. The foul-up was
caused by "human error:" faulty cable hookups. As a result, there was not
enough current to cause death. His attorney was Steve Ellis of
Philadelphia. Death was pronounced 19 minutes after the first jolt.

21. March 25, 1997. Florida. Pedro Medina. With the first jolt of
electricity, blue and orange flames sparked from the mask covering
Medina's face. Flames up to a foot long shot out from the right side of
Medina's head for 6 - 10 seconds. The execution chamber clouded with
smoke, and the smell of burnt flesh filled the witness room.

From http://ccadp.org/botchedx.htm WARNING - contains pictures of Tiny Davis (after his execution).

:(

Last edited:
Capital Punishment Essay

“The state government should think seriously about re-introducing the death penalty”

America has the death penalty, Japan has the death penalty, many more countries have the death penalty, why cant Australia. Is it really that inhumane to kill a person who has done a horrendous thing to society. A person who will not see the light of day again anyway. A criminal behind bars for the rest of his or her life. That could be from 20-50 years maybe even more. Imagine fifty years of tax payers money spent on a thing less than scum. People would be afraid to commit crimes, they wouldn’t want to be poisoned, gassed, electrocuted or hanged. It costs a whole lot less as well.
Do you really think people like paying for child molesters and rapists to have a big, juicy steak for dinner, watch television, and go to their own private gym. No, I didn’t think so. I mean sure there is no price for the human life but as quoted in an essay written by Barbara Jackson “ when we allow wilful murderers to live, what price then have we put on the innocent lives so brutally ended?” what were the murderers thinking about when they were killing someone, when they were taking a life, that wasn’t their’s to take in the first place.
Do you really think 24 years is enough for someone who has raped a child, a child who’s life is now over before it even began. This person is punished for twenty-four years. The victim is punished for the rest of his or her life, for just being there. The criminal is let out after twenty years, because they have been good in prison. But then three days later someone is murdered and raped by the same man, let out. that’s not justice, twenty odd years is not justice, they should be banned from life, not for life.

On the other hand, do two wrongs make a right? Is murdering a murderer really a good way of dealing with society’s problems. Doesn’t it just show that if its out of the best interests of the community its ok to take a life innocent or not. Speaking of the innocent, what about those wrongfully accused who are either on death row now in the U.S.A or have been executed. Over 12 people last year were pardoned in Texas alone, because of new D.N.A testing. Think about those who died in the chamber, knowing they didn’t do it, but also knowing that no-one else believes them. They are the victims. I know not every criminal on death row is innocent, but quite a few are. When that innocent life is taken away, and new evidence comes in and finds that the person executed is innocent, all the government says is “oops, my mistake, sorry” and gives some money to the person’s family for compensation. The life taken away is priceless, saying sorry, and giving money away will not bring them back. The government is loaded, what’s a few $30,000’s for compensation, its just like a citizen losing a $20 note. At least if the prisoner was in jail and later found innocent, they could be let out to live a life they had once lived before. The feeling of anguish the people on death row must feel. Knowing that on a set date they would say their goodbyes and leave the world. That is psychological punishment, that could be the rehabilitation. The torture they are put through in prison, that is physical punishment and emotional punishment. I mean sure they get three meals a day but that does not count for the abuse endured behind those walls.
Lets face it the death penalty cannot be reversed, its inhumane and should be stopped in America as well. Australia is doing better than it did when the death penalty was here. There are homicides and such but that’s what happens everywhere. People are killers and the executioner is no better.
They kill a life around once a month and get paid for it. They are virtually hit-men, hired by government.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ that was an essay i wrote in year 10, i have to give both points of view towards the death penalty re-introduced in Australia.
BTW - i dont believe in the Death penalty, but rapists and pedophiles etc should be castrurated.