View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Combo Subthread] Psychedelics & Benzo's

Cru54d3r

Bluelighter
So are there such things as "trip killers" .. having been through a few threads i am non the wiser now .. even perhaps confused as to myths and actual effects of say xanax or valium ..

As far as i know and have read (please correct me if u know otherwise):

Orange Juice - myth / doesnt work
B12 / Niacin - nothing proven to say it does work
Valium / Xanax - here is where im confused .. some say it will just provide a calming effect .. others say it takes the edge off .. others say it will knock you out in sufficient dosage .. others have said it had no effect (think that was on AMT?) ..

So what im looking for really is if people can come forward and say what they know about using certain benzos in regards to helping out a bad trip that has already begun .. as i like the idea of having a safety plug should i choose to pull it .. also i gather some people might be pro-riding it out if the trip doesnt flow nicely .. but having it by you doesnt mean you have to take it does it? :)

thanks ..

Trazodone, at 150mg, will kill any tryptamine trip in less than 20 minutes after ingestion for me. With phenethylamines, there are still lingering effects an hour after taking the trazodone. It also seems to stop DXM trips, as well.

I am actually on klonopin (clonazepam, related to xanax, valium, librium, etc.) at 2mg a day and when I take it while I'm tripping, it in no way kills the trip. I just notice the anti-anxiety effect which helps me deal with strong trips more easily.

In terms of helping a trip gone bad, I think benzodiazepines have a chance of helping, but it's only due to the calming effect you mention. If you take more than 3mg of xanax or klonopin, you'll most likely eventually pass out. I think the working dose, in my opinion, is from .5mg to 2mg depending on the stress/fear/etc. at the time of taking the pill. Peace.

Can any1 else verify that trazodone works? Not saying i dont trust you but if otherwise uneducated someone might believe orange juice works if it helped their trip as they assumed it to help when it fact it was just a placebo ..

When you say it will kill a tryptamine trip in 20mins .. hows that? a return to near bassline status without falling asleep or passing out? It's just most of these benzos seem to be anti depressant or anti anxiety and cause some level of drowsiness .. im failing to see the link to how they'd kill a psychedelic trip .. ..

i have taken 3 mgs of xanax during a very intense trip(after the peak) and it subsided the anxiety and the fear that the trip was producing. But i did end up falling asleep after about an hour of extreme relaxation. During that hour the visuals and mental aspects of the trip subsided some, but overall were still there. this was a phenethylamine if it matters. "trip killer" isn't really how i would see it, "sleep aid" is more like it. I wouldn't rely on them either. If your worried about having a bad trip, then wait till you are in good spirits and around comforting loving close friend/friends. I would say now that i am pro riding it out as some of my more difficult trips have produced the most insight.

Trazodone knocks me out cold, but doesn't abort the trip for me. In fact, on the few times I've used this to try to sleep on comedowns (mdma, LSD) it has added a strange sparkly element to my vision.

I have also used Valium to sleep after LSD and LSD + MDMA. I wouldn't say it kills the trip either, but it lets you ignore the lingering psychedelic effects and fall asleep. At least for me.

see this is what bugs me .. 1 person says it knocks them out another says it killed the trip for them .. surely such differences shouldnt exist from person to person? so whats going on? placebo effects from thinking the drug counteracts the psych ?

bluedolphin .. i take it you havent tried valium during the trip then?

It doesn't surprise me at all that people respond differently to benzos on psychedelics. For one, people respond differently to psychedelics to begin with. "Bad trips" themselves are largely a result of the set and the setting, not just the psychedelic. Benzos don't seem to overpower psychedelics but if benzos alter the "set", i.e. calm you down a bit or make you sleepy, that might be enough to help some and not others. And as it is people respond differently to benzos somewhat as well.

So there's really no guarantee that benzos will work for you as a safety net for a "bad trip". It certainly won't hurt to have them around. But I will say for most people a "bad trip" can be prevented via the choices made in regards to dosage, set and setting.

gloggawogga said:
So there's really no guarantee that benzos will work for you as a safety net for a "bad trip". It certainly won't hurt to have them around.
So is it your opinion then that there are no such "safety nets" when it comes to using psychedelics? The best you can hope for from benzos is either a calming effect or be knocked out assuming they had some effect?

Cru54d3r said:
So is it your opinion then that there are no such "safety nets" when it comes to using psychedelics? The best you can hope for from benzos is either a calming effect or be knocked out assuming they had some effect?

Everything we experience in life, as individuals, is subjective. Events that makes one individual sad, makes another individual happy, a book that I like, You might hate etc. This is due to differences in our individual selves, and no reaction is more right or true then the other. This goes for Psychoactives as well.

Maybe you should try, say, a benzodiazepine outside of tripping and first see how it affects you there?

And I don't think one should abort bad trips by the way, one should see them as opportunities for learning, but that is only my highly personal and subjective opinion;)

Cru54d3r said:
bluedolphin .. i take it you havent tried valium during the trip then?

I haven't taken valium during the *peak* of a trip, but I was most certainly still tripping (visuals, body fry, etc) on at least two occasions I've taken valium to sleep on the comedown.

Like gloggawogga said, everyone reacts differently.

I have taken benzos during the peak of a trip, and they definitely took the intensity down a couple notches, and calmed me down as well.

If you're freaking out from a trip, but not so bad that you're becoming violent, and you get taken to a hospital, the more enlightened places will give you benzos instead of thorazine or haldol, because benzos calm you down/knock you out, but they aren't as fast acting as the other two drugs.

So is it your opinion then that there are no such "safety nets" when it comes to using psychedelics?

No. I'm just I'm not sure there's any guarantee benzos will work. There are definetly stronger drugs that can end a trip (major tranquilizers, antipsychotics, etc.) but they have their risks, including possible drug interactions, so if you don't know what you are doing it could be even more dangerous.

The best you can hope for from benzos is either a calming effect or be knocked out assuming they had some effect?

Well, a placebo can end a bad trip, and yet leave you still tripping. The one time I had intense anxiety on LSD and took some valium it thouroughly calmed me down but left me bored and dissapointed that the trip was over. It was kinda like I went from one undesirable experience to another. Probably all I needed was a good placebo :\

Probably all I needed was a good placebo

I always feel slightly guilty when i have to tell people that the orange juice thing is a myth for that very reason.

Well last night I took 2 decent blotters, probably about 150ug total.

About 3 hours afterwards I was getting a little anxious, and surrounded by a lot of people, so I took 5mg of valium. I knew this wouldn't do much but the placebo might help.

I didn't reduce my trip at all, although I was able to chill out and reduced my anxiety, yet in fact I continued tripping harder for several more hours.

Later on, like 8 hours after taking LSD, we started smoking lots of opium. This also didn't reduce the intensity of the trip, but it mellowed me out and made everything halarious.

Then about an hour after that I took 20mg valium... about an hour after that I was still "tripping" but far too zonked out to pay any attention to the psychedelia going on around me. A small bowl of opium on top of that allowed me to get a couple hours of shut-eye.

ummmmm...
vitamin B12 is cyanocobalamin...

forms of vitamin B3 include:
niacin (nicotinic acid)
niacinamide (nicotinamide; nicotinc acid amide)
inostiol hexanicotinate
& there may be a couple other forms out there these days, i dunno...

ya gotta admit it's (niacinamide) cheaper & easier to get than 'scrips...
& it's prolly less addictive thatn valium & other benzos...
& certainly prolly safer than "major tranks" (antipsychotics, like thorazine & haldol)...

I forgot to mention that trazodone doesn't make me sleepy at any dose (up to 300mg), but makes me extremely hungry. Maybe trazodone effects me differently than most people. All I know is that if I'm having an incredibly bad trip or I accidentally got some powder into my system and I need to go to work or something, I take three 50mg trazodone and I can rest assured that the trip will be gone in an hour at most. Peace.

I take .5 xanax whenever I dose LSD. I usually take it on the comeup, or some times I'll redose during other times of the trip. It really helps with strong acid trips. Also helps with lots of other pyschedelics. It in no way kills a trip.

sk8punk151 said:
I take .5 xanax whenever I dose LSD. I usually take it on the comeup, or some times I'll redose during other times of the trip. It really helps with strong acid trips. Also helps with lots of other pyschedelics. It in no way kills a trip.
Shouldn't you just not take as much LSD instead? I honestly don't care either way, but it just seems unnecessary to dose Xanax with LSD every time just to "help with strong acid trips." Maybe I just read it wrong...

^^
Anxiety can lead to uncomfortable physical symptoms like a high heart rate, tremors, sweats, etc.

A small dose of benzos taken mid-trip can alleviate this and allow you to experience the psychedelia without these distracting symptoms.

Something else to bear in mind... it takes a little while for benzo's to absorb and take effect. 30 min isn't really that long to wait in teh grand scheme of things. But if you are depending on it to help you deal with a bad trip, 30 min may be an enternity.... and waiting around for that relief could make you more anxious than you were to begin with (it does me sometimes).