• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants clonidine or propranolol for stimulant anxiety and comedowns

I would try the propranolol. Just because I know a few musicians who have had alot of success with it diminishing their stage fright/anxiety. Also, I was prescribed clonidine for opiate withdrawal at one point, and it did next to nothing for me as far as calming me down. Everyone is different though, and you may react more positively to clonodine. Really, one of the best people to give you advice would be a doctor. I understand the embarrasment of telling a doctor you're on speed, so maybe just ask a pharmacist instead, or just tell the doctor you're having bad anxiety. That is if you're not legally prescribed a drug like adderall, which would be no problem in telling the truth.

the reason i asked is because a beta blocker like propanolol i thought i read can be dangerous when takin with stimulants?

I would try the propranolol. Just because I know a few musicians who have had alot of success with it diminishing their stage fright/anxiety. Also, I was prescribed clonidine for opiate withdrawal at one point, and it did next to nothing for me as far as calming me down. Everyone is different though, and you may react more positively to clonodine. Really, one of the best people to give you advice would be a doctor. I understand the embarrasment of telling a doctor you're on speed, so maybe just ask a pharmacist instead, or just tell the doctor you're having bad anxiety. That is if you're not legally prescribed a drug like adderall, which would be no problem in telling the truth.

so betablockers are okay to be ran with stimulants?

It's dangerous to take either with stimulants, but beta blockers are better for "perhipheral" side effects like jitters and alpha blockers (clonidine etc) are more for counteracting high blood pressure and stimulation.

Blocking those receptors can lead to your body throwing you into hyper or hypotension if you don't know what you're doing. I would ask a doctor for more information.

I've always thought that beta blockers were great for stimulant related anxiety and just generalized anxiety.

which is better/safer for a comedown on the sides that come with it like anxiety

i would go with clonidine, i am scripted it in combo with hydroxyzine for anxiety and it works just as good as a benzo.. Zyprexa for my bipolar helps also but, n e wayz..

on a side note: they prescribe clonidine to kids on adhd meds for when it is time for them to eat, chill, and go to sleep. (i know people personally who are scripted it for that exact reason, one person being my half brother)

EDIT: i also thought that beta blockers were a no-no while taking stims.

Propanolol its dangerous for stimulant side effects due it can cause paradoxical high preasure

Propanolol its dangerous for stimulant side effects due it can cause paradoxical high preasure

actually the danger is hypotensive shock... being that the beta blocker blockers the beta receptor, which is vasopressive, leaving epinephrine only to bind to the alpha site [which is where clonidine binds to as an agonist and is antitensive] that could result in a massive drop in blood pressure.

hence clonidine is a much safer choice.

That is dangerous advice mr tambourine man!

It has already been stated why it is dangerous.

Clonidine is not an alphablocker, there are two types of alpha receptor, alpha1 and alpha2. Alpha1 controls vasoconstriction/vasodilation, an alphablocker is a hypotensive drug. Clonidine is an alpha2 adrenoreceptor agonist. The alpha2 receptor (which has subtypes, alpha2a, alpha2b, alpha2c and possibly, can't remember for sure, but I think there might be an alpha2d...POSSIBLY...I may well be mistaken there, its been a while since I read up on alpha2 receptor subtypes and I am very tired, 20 hour days will do that to you)

Alpha2 is what is called an autoreceptor, autoreceptors essentially act as a feedback mechanism, reducing neurotransmitter release when stimulated, an alpha2 antagonist (yohimbine being a prominent example) blocks alpha2 receptors, resulting in the brain getting the message 'noradrenaline release needs to occur, less stimulation of alpha2 means less noradrenaline is present, need more', clonidine, tizanidine, guanfacine (a subtype selective alpha2 agonist, used as a nootropic, to aid concentration and memory...I wish it was used here in the UK, or I would have had my tizanidine script changed ages ago) and the three I really want to try sometime, romifidine and xylazine, and dexmedetomidine do the opposite, in effect, turning down the gain control, as the brain is getting the signal that there is too much noradrenergic activity and to lessen release of NA.

This is the safer option here, beta blockers are dangerous with stimulants, you are unlikely ever to see clinical use of a beta blocker, for instance, for treating the hypertension associated with cocaine overdose, the adrenergic/noradrenergic activity, being unable to stimulate beta adrenoreceptors as normally happens without the beta blocker, well, the neurotransmitter has to go somewhere, aside from being broken down by monoamine oxidase, can't bind to beta receptors, so it has only alpha adrenoreceptors to bind.

The result is paradoxical from what one could expect from a hypotensive drug, with alpha1 mediated vasoconstriction occuring, and trouble following.

I've been on both, beta blockers and alpha2 agonists. I'm autie, and both have been tried for overstimulation and sensory overload. Fucking hated propranolol, it was active only on peripheral symptoms such as rapid heart rate if I got overloaded, piloerection, etc. Think yes, the opposite, WITHOUT amphetamine being present in the users system, only a betablocker, of the peripheral effects of ephedrine, subjectively that is. Lowered heart rate, lowered BP, less tendency for sweating of palms if it is scripted to an anxious patient. Will steady shaking of hands/fingers or voice also, but thats more or less what you get.

I have taken it when anxious, and thats all it did. No use for the psychological/central bits of an anxiety response. I'm not an anxious person myself, not without a reason at least, but the only thing it made me feel was shitty.

I used to have a clonidine rx, now its tizanidine, although I preferred clonidine really, tizanidine is way too short acting for my liking although its really useful to me. They ARE effective in cases of stimulant comedowns, I wouldn't want anything to do with stimulants without one or the other drug. They are strong hypotensive agents, clonidine being much much more powerful in dropping BP, lower heart rate, good for anxiety, although a side effect is fatigue, which on a large dose can be extreme, and make it too much to carry on a task. Depends on the route of administration also. Good for stopping the hyperstimulation, restless legs (and the rest of one's body) that is caused by opioid withdrawal also. Orally is less likely to make one too tired. At least in the case of tizanidine.

Plugged in solution or insufflated in a low dose can dramatically increase the sedation and nodding on an opioid, and its one of the very few things, short of the times I have had medical procedures, like knee surgery and a general anaesthetic combination has been used that will knock me out cold or sedate me in a manner that actually makes me sleep. I have had trouble gettin GABAergics to work effectively as a sleep aid. Without a tolerance to them, monstrous doses of nitrazepam have effectively just made me feel better about not being able to sleep, I've had to be switched from that to a non-benzo, that acts more like a barbiturate to have something for that purpose that actually works. Tizanidine though, plugged, will literally knock me out until it wears off in perhaps 10-15 minutes at most.

So, much better, safer choice for stimulant related use. Alpha2 adrenoreceptor agonists are also strong myorelaxants.

so Tizanidine or Clonidine is best for comedowns? i can get clonidine cheaper...what are the benefits of Tizanidine

Last edited:
This is the safer option here, beta blockers are dangerous with stimulants, you are unlikely ever to see clinical use of a beta blocker, for instance, for treating the hypertension associated with cocaine overdose, the adrenergic/noradrenergic activity, being unable to stimulate beta adrenoreceptors as normally happens without the beta blocker, well, the neurotransmitter has to go somewhere, aside from being broken down by monoamine oxidase, can't bind to beta receptors, so it has only alpha adrenoreceptors to bind.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I should point out that a physician gave me 40mg propranolol about six hours following bad palpitations after using methcathinone to excess.

I guess he deduced that I was not still that high on the drug and that my symptoms were more residual stimulation than direct effects.

Beta-blockers are contraindicated in stimulant overdoses, as unopposed alpha-adrenergic stimulation can precipitate a hypertensive crisis (alpha and beta adrenergic receptors are largely antagonistic in their cardiovascular effects: beta stimulation induces vasodilation while alpha stimulation induces vasoconstriction, for example). When dealing with therapeutic stimulant doses, however, beta-blockers are generally safe and are often coadministered with Adderall, Dexedrine and Ritalin to alleviate the annoying somatic symptoms associated with sympathomimetic use.

That being said, alpha-adrenergic agonists (clonidine, lofexidine, guanfacine etc) are safer and more effective for concomitant use with psychostimulants. They do not carry the same risk of hypertensive crisis as the beta-blockers, and typically associated with greater 'central' sedation/sympatholytic activity...aka more useful for combating the 'crash' or general lousy feeling of being tweaked out.

Conclusion: alpha-agonists are your best bet in terms of safety and efficacy. As long as you are not using excessive stimulant doses, however, beta-blockers are not as dangerous as typically thought. In cases of sympathomimetic overdose, however, beta-blockers are most definitely contraindicated!

i've heard that clonidine and RX Stims (adderall, dexedrine, ritalin, etc.) are usually prescribed together, for the exact reason as you are intending to do. if you are already prescribed the stims that you are using, i suggest ask your doc for some clonidine to go with it, just tell him that your starting to get anxiety from it. if not, tell him you have ADD, and try to get on that so you can get the clonidine.

and to answer your question, i believe that clonidine would be better of the two.

or actually it doesn't matter cause this thread is old and the OP isn't even a member anymore. Why was this thread ressurected?

If it's cocaine then do not use beta blockers as landing gear. If you do too much you have a much larger chance of a fatal accident with cocaine and beta-blockers.

actually the danger is hypotensive shock... being that the beta blocker blockers the beta receptor, which is vasopressive, leaving epinephrine only to bind to the alpha site [which is where clonidine binds to as an agonist and is antitensive] that could result in a massive drop in blood pressure.

hence clonidine is a much safer choice.

++1

i can't speak for the other drug, but clonidine does have some value for comedowns/ It is nothing like a benzo.. but if you have no tolerance to clonidine, it can def help big time. With no tolerance 0.2mg will knock you out.

Sorry to bring this from the depths but I was doing some looking around to see if my rx clonidine was ok on to take on stims for a while. One day I was overstimulated and my benzo tolerance is so high nothing would help. .1 clonidine and 2mg clonazolam under the thoung then swalled as a slush(gross I know) blood pressure dropped perfect. Not too low where I'm dizzy, the clonidine felt like it just slowed down my noradrenaline. It's an amazing drugs for emergencies. And take 3 .1 on a comedown , sleeping so ez. Esp after a few cannibus BHO concentrate dabs. Good to go. So there's my input on this subject as I think it's important subject. I've never even used a beta blocker and stim so I have no I put on that.

Cheers

Rhino236