Cigarettes...

1st of all congrats to Hydra and all others who are now Non Smokers
I gave up smoking cigarettes two years ago this new years and by far consider it the best decision of my life.
When I quit smoking it felt like my head opened up and I started using all of my brain. I dont know how to describe it but it feels great. I used to think that pot was making me stupid and slow, but then I quit cigarettes and realized it was them!
The $5 every other day I save is also great... it sucks being broke and trying to scrape together enough for a pack of smokes when you coulda spent that money on some food. How many times have you been to the liquor store paying with pennies and dimes?
Here are some recommendations:
Have it in your head that smoking is nasty and disgusting. It helps you not want one. That taste is horrible and the feeling in your lungs is just nasty
For those who get tense just thinking about quitting, try this: Keep a pack with you while you are quitting. I know it sounds odd but its what I did. Whenever i felt like smoking i told myself i could have a smoke, just have it "later". Then later say whats 15 minutes more? Eventually its time to go to sleep :) I did this, but after day three i tossed out the pack cause i didnt care any more.
I do smoke pot and I definitely smoked more when i quit cigs. One thing that helped was I'd smoke a blunt sometimes when i wanted a cig; I thought of it as a stoner's patch or gum :) I did this for like a month, and it helped calm the cravings sometimes.
I still want to smoke occasionally but know that if I ever do i'll most likely start smoking again so i don't. Even blunts are gross to me now.
Anyways keep it up all you non smokers. Never give in!
[ 11 November 2002: Message edited by: frizzantik ]

Today makes one month tobacco free!
My birthday was Saturday, this was my present to myself.
Everyday I can feel my lung capacity increasing, I can breathe deeper. I have saved $120.
Whenever I want one, which is coming up less and less, I just let it pass. I know in 5 minutes I won't want it anymore so if I busy myself with something I forget about it.

Congrats to those who have made a choice to quit smoking!!
I wish you the best of luck. Personally never been a smoker. But have known people who have spent ages trying to quit.

Three days, 7 hours, 22 minutes and 13 seconds. 66 cigarettes not smoked, saving $15.18. Life saved: 5 hours, 30 minutes. (Gotta love the SilkQuit easy paste hotkey)
One thing I noticed helps when you're trying to quit: if the thought of smoking comes into your mind, just KILL IT as quickly as you can. If you linger on the thoughts of smoking you'll crave it even more. And like Hydra said, don't take another puff! If you do it'll be all over.

ive been smoking on weekends now, i need to quit that. in one way im glad i havent started fully, but its going to spill out through the week, and ill be a full time smoker again.
i think its because im with people who are smoking weed, and i cant smoke it. so im trying to fill it with something else. next weekend i wont be, so i should be good then :) *must be strong*

JF: i hear you on that, my roomate and most of my friends are heavy pot smokers
what i do is just hang with them and get a free contact high (not from surrounding smoke, but they get high, act high, and it rubs off on me), but my system is still clean :)
try it, it might work!
~hydra

It's been precisely one week today since I smoked my last :) Still going strong, though I am having intense vivid dreams lately and I am smkoing in half of them.

Sorry peeps. I got's to close this now. Start a new thread to pick up the conversation.