• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

career advice!

i completely see where your coming from. but i will say, i honestly had an argument on facebook today with someone who genuinely couldn't see how not allowing people to go to cafes and coffee shops at present is saving lives. they kept coming back to 'but it spreads everywhere so it doesn't matter if you catch it in a coffee shop or a supermarket.' i know i'm a massive intellectual snob and i don't care, but i'd be fucking offended to think someone who'se reasoning capabilities are that poor could have had exactly the same childhood as me and have ended up in the same position as me now. but then they wouldn't have got bullied for being intelligent at primary school, prompting them to have to go to a private school rather than the local comprehensive cos if they went there it would continue, and probably been happier in the long run cos honestly my high school fucked me up big time.

i do agree that in general your passion stems from being good at something (though not sure that's the case for my current attempt to get good at the bass!!). either way, in terms of careers, very few passions are worth pursuing as a career. annoyingly that's why shitloads of shit hot punk bands split up. they get girlfriends and babies and can't hack being permanently broke as fuck and on tour any more.

i actually plan to follow what i still consider to be my 'true passion' (though i haven't touched it in a decade lol) by doing a phd in the metaphysics of quantum mechanics in my retirement if i make it to that age and retirement ever happens for our generation. i always knew i was better at science than philosophy and that really matters when you're choosing a phd subject, which is why i've ended up in science. plus there's better career prospects and its still way cooler than most jobs so shitty boss aside i'm happy enough with my choice and will save the mind bending philosophy of physics for when i'm a lady of leisure.

Oh yeah some people are just downright idiots. I used to work in retail so I know this all too well.

But I do like to think that someone of at least average intelligence can develop a skill in whatever their passion happens to be. Or I just need to think that or I feel like a snob and at the same time lose faith in the human race.

I also have to think if the bar is set so low for intelligence that even I qualify how stupid must everyone else be? 😂

Metaphysics of quantum mechanics, I honestly couldn't even tell you what that entails, but sounds like an interesting thing to be into. Certainly more interesting than how most people only talk about football and reality TV and what celebrity is fucking some other celebrity who is famous despite having no talent whatsoever... yeah come to think of it I understand your view.

I also have to think if the bar is set so low for intelligence that even I qualify how stupid must everyone else be? 😂

this really worries me too!!

and yeah i worked retail from 15 til the end of my undergrad degree. i swear some people i worked with honestly didn't have a single thought from one shift to the next, and some of the customers were worse. really glad i did a shit job for so long though because it really spurred me to work hard in my education, i was desperate not to end up doing something like that forever.

metaphysics of quantum mechanics asks questions like 'what sort of things exist according to quantum physics?'- in philosophy you can generally ask questions about how we can talk about things, how we can know about things, and what things actually are, metaphysics being the latter. so all the really mind bending things about quantum mechanics are as much philosophical questions as they are physical, like trying to explain how things can sort of be in two states at once and what that actually means. it gets really cool when you mix it with theories of space and time, for example there's a thing called the Unruh effect where the actual existence of particles depends on your reference frame. so to you, particles might not exist, but to someone travelling at a different speed they would.

this really worries me too!!

and yeah i worked retail from 15 til the end of my undergrad degree. i swear some people i worked with honestly didn't have a single thought from one shift to the next, and some of the customers were worse. really glad i did a shit job for so long though because it really spurred me to work hard in my education, i was desperate not to end up doing something like that forever.

metaphysics of quantum mechanics asks questions like 'what sort of things exist according to quantum physics?'- in philosophy you can generally ask questions about how we can talk about things, how we can know about things, and what things actually are, metaphysics being the latter. so all the really mind bending things about quantum mechanics are as much philosophical questions as they are physical, like trying to explain how things can sort of be in two states at once and what that actually means. it gets really cool when you mix it with theories of space and time, for example there's a thing called the Unruh effect where the actual existence of particles depends on your reference frame. so to you, particles might not exist, but to someone travelling at a different speed they would.

That is proper interesting. I have read a bit about multiverse theory which I believe is along similar lines, but I can only really understand the very high level explanations. As soon as I try to read a paper about the details it goes over my head.

And yeah it is honestly my opinion that everyone should work in retail for at least a few months. For one thing it makes you respect people more instead of seeing people doing such work as "below" you, a mindset far too many customers have. And for another it is, as you say, great motivation. I felt like having to show up to that job pushed me to get into something better urgently.

I concur. I've had several jobs in retail and the stupidity of the general public never ceased to amaze me.

By that I don't mean lack of academic ability, but a total absence of common sense and decency that made me wonder how they actually managed to fuckin breathe all day long...

I concur. I've had several jobs in retail and the stupidity of the general public never ceased to amaze me.

By that I don't mean lack of academic ability, but a total absence of common sense and decency that made me wonder how they actually managed to fuckin breathe all day long...

I had someone complain to me that she kept losing the lottery because we were rigging it. I laughed then realised she was totally fucking serious.

Did you know the average IQ is decreasing by one point per year? Somehow this fact never surprised me all that much.

I used to work in customer service for a now defunct flat pack kitchen and bedroom supplier. I actually had a customer come to me to complain that his screwdriver didn't fit our screws.

I kid you not...

What you say is true, but this is why I said what I did only in relation to someone's passion. People generally don't develop passions they're not wired to be good at. Someone who is obsessed with computers is probably that way because they understand computers. It's a kind of chicken and egg thing, but I am shit at most maths, so I couldn't possibly be passionate about it. I feel like I understand computers better than people, so I have long been driven to learn as much as I can about them.

Part of this is just how my brain is sure. Autistic people don't have a good time with social interactions and find they relate to their interests a lot more than people. But I was chatting to a guy the other day whose interest was fonts. He can look at any font and tell me exactly what it is, when it was created, what it derived from, and so on... which is impressive, but functionally useless, and it's just plain old memorising rather than a skill as such. Like when I was a kid I could look at the wheels of a car and tell you exactly what model it was. Kinda cool, but utterly useless, and just a good memory not anything more.

I don't like it when people call me intelligent to be honest. Mostly because for one they're making that assumption based on stereotypes (I'm a nerdy type with glasses, must be smart) and for another once people put you in that box they hold you to an unrealistically high standard. Then when you inevitably can't hold yourself up to the standard others have set for you based on their own preconceptions they go "but I thought you were meant to be smart!" I'm just like... the fuck did you get that idea from? I think Nietzsche already put it better than I can: “No one believes in the stupidities of clever people: what a loss of human rights!”

In fact Nietzsche had something to say about the topic of talents too: “Do not talk about giftedness, inborn talents! One can name great men of all kinds who were very little gifted. They acquired greatness, became 'geniuses’.”

I mostly do agree. I think we see adults as the "finished product" of themselves if that makes sense. As in if you took the people you know couldn't do your job, and I'm sure there's many, but in another life that same person were to develop an intense interest in your field from a young age, they'd probably grow up to be talented at it. Intelligence, at least as measured by IQ, is variable and flexible. It changes over time and is highly environmentally influenced.

My IQ is nothing special, I don't see myself as being clever, I just know a lot about a thing I've had an intense interest in all my life. But if I talk to someone about my interests they will almost always comment on how smart I am. Even though most of my interests outside computers have no practical element, I just memorised stuff. Like my drug knowledge. If you put me in a lab I'd have no fucking clue what I'm doing. I can tell you in the abstract that benzodiazepines are GABA agonists and shit like that. But I just memorised that. I'm still not a chemist or pharmacist or doctor.

I've never really bought the view that you're born with some innate IQ. Aspects of intelligence and personality are acquired throughout life, particularly early childhood, in my view anyway

I wasn't diagnosed with Autism/high-functioning autism until my early 20s, although the signs were there since my early teens although nobody back then really had a clue about autism (least of all teachers). Being diagnosed autistic hasn't exactly helped me to get a decent (or any kind) of career or even hold down a proper job (and yes I did the dreaded retail gig for a time). Combined with some physical health problems, I've never really been able to manage my life without help or on my own terms. I don't know what the future holds for me but prefer not to think about it (burying my head in the sand - which I know is not healthy)

I've also been chronically depressed and I can tell you that (for me at least) SSRI meds don't help with that

Last edited:
I've never really bought the view that you're born with some innate IQ. Aspects of intelligence and personality are acquired throughout life, particularly early childhood, in my view anyway

I wasn't diagnosed with Autism/high-functioning autism until my early 20s, although the signs were there since my early teens although nobody back then really had a clue about autism (least of all teachers). Being diagnosed autistic hasn't exactly helped me to get a decent (or any kind) of career or even hold down a proper job (and yes I did the dreaded retail gig for a time). Combined with some physical health problems, I've never really been able to manage my life without help or on my own terms. I don't know what the future holds for me but prefer not to think about it (burying my head in the sand - which I know is not healthy)

I've also been chronically depressed and I can tell you that (for me at least) SSRI meds don't help with that

I think when it comes to nature vs nurture it tends to be a bit of both in my opinion. Studies are quite clear that as far as IQ goes, it is very strongly influenced by environment. However, the way people react to any given environment will always differ and this is the big interesting thing to me.

I will PM you regarding employment and autism, the job market actually favours autistic people in certain industries right now.

SSRIs are a joke, they honestly made me worse and as per the side effects they caused suicidal ideation.

I had someone complain to me that she kept losing the lottery because we were rigging it. I laughed then realised she was totally fucking serious.

Did you know the average IQ is decreasing by one point per year? Somehow this fact never surprised me all that much.

not surprised either, though i do think IQ can be learned by practising those problems. i remember seeing a youtube video of an absolute legend in quantum computing called seth lloyd trouncing someone who sets IQ tests at their own game, and lloyd pointed out that he is required to use those skills for his job.

I have to respectfully disagree with SSRIs being a joke- don't get me wrong i got screwed by seroxat when i was a teenager and could have died, but i'm now on sertraline for PTSD and its enabled me to maintain my recovery from hard drugs.

being diagnosed as autistic hasn't done anything in my career, i didn't even get tested til i was in rehab. but its helped me personally because i don't pressure myself to be normal anymore.

not surprised either, though i do think IQ can be learned by practising those problems. i remember seeing a youtube video of an absolute legend in quantum computing called seth lloyd trouncing someone who sets IQ tests at their own game, and lloyd pointed out that he is required to use those skills for his job.

I have to respectfully disagree with SSRIs being a joke- don't get me wrong i got screwed by seroxat when i was a teenager and could have died, but i'm now on sertraline for PTSD and its enabled me to maintain my recovery from hard drugs.

being diagnosed as autistic hasn't done anything in my career, i didn't even get tested til i was in rehab. but its helped me personally because i don't pressure myself to be normal anymore.

Not surprised that an expert in quantum computing is smarter than someone who sets IQ tests haha. You're right of course tests like that are far from perfect, but they are effectively the closest thing to a measurement of intelligence we have, albeit a flawed one.

SSRIs work for some people of course. And I'm glad they helped you so much. What I really don't like is how docs treat SSRIs like they are the only solution to everything and how they act as if SSRIs are harmless just because you can't get high on them.

I would speculate that being autistic (not necessarily being diagnosed) has helped you in your career simply because it likely drove you to learn a large amount of information about a specific topic. And if you work in a field you have that intense interest in, you will be good at what you do. Dickhead bosses notwithstanding.

On the topic of not pressuring yourself to act normal, this is how I feel during the lockdown funnily enough. I don't need to go out and interact with the normies so I'm just being all weird doing my thing.

Can somebody tell me a way to make $5000 pcm without thieving, whoring, pimping, robbing, working or studying?

That would be fantastic.

I quit the highest paying gig I've had in Asia last December, and have been relying on some small stock and crypto trades since, which is a lot easier if one has a stack of $50/100K as you can then apply correct risk management.

I typically have a stack of $4k and try and double it each month. This is too time intensive and also not great for mental elf

Last edited:
mate i think if it was that easy inflation would be rampant cos we'd all do it.

Easy peasy just need to invent time travel and use it without creating a paradox that ends the universe.

My mate was having me on once when I was proper stoned, trying to convince me that if you win the lottery they have people run tests on you to make sure you're not a time traveller 😂

after seeing it mentioned in the lockdown thread, thought i'd go ahead and make one.

so, i can offer either serious or hopefully humorous advice depending on what i'm feeling at the time. mainly in:

academia
programming
being a crack whore

don't really recommend the last one, or the first.

i can also offer loads of advice about how to get sacked from menial jobs, mostly honesty (admitting to theft) and more honesty (correcting higher ranking employees, when clients are abusing ME because of THEIR mistakes).

i have been involved in the selection process for both academic and industrial jobs and can say not being an idiot and having done even a vague bit of preparation prior to interview is sufficient to get quite a lot of jobs. if you haven't, please don't waste people's time turning up to interview, having to sit there finishing the questions cos its a HR requirement is boring as fuck.

don't follow your passion unless you actually have talent to back it up, or were born into money so don't really need a job.

so, what other advice do people have to offer? or what would they like advice about?
If you wanna be a programmer it sounds like there’s no decision. Go for your dreams and don’t look back anything else is fluffing or shiit

If you wanna be a programmer it sounds like there’s no decision. Go for your dreams and don’t look back anything else is fluffing or shiit

i am a programmer, and have been in some form or another for 10 years, but i wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment!

ha @PtahTek I love the idea of hitting the woods, but realistically I like being in a city too much and my creature comforts. Also I get disheartened every time I try to grow something, my pansies have just been eaten by woodlice, I managed to kill a succulent this year, I couldn't imagine me being able to grow anything to eat!! Honestly I'd advise you to stay the course here until you have some forest survival skills, whilst also trying to learn not to bug the fuck out. And if you can't learn not to bug the fuck out and excel at survivalism you know what to do.