• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health "Brain Zaps" and Benzodiazepines

ad lib

Ex-Bluelighter
So I've started a taper from my Xanax, and I just got my first "brain zap". It made me REALLY scared.

Has this happened to other people?

I'm nervous because when I was in total Xanax withdrawal before I had seizures, so I don't know if I'm about time have another one...

yes.. it get better quick (sorta).. not just saying that,, four five months.. how long have you been daily on the benzz ?<3<3<3

yes.. it get better quick (sorta).. not just saying that,, four five months.. how long have you been daily on the benzz ?<3<3<3

I hope so :(

Was it maybe an instance of derealization?

I think that it may have been that... It was just such a strange feeling that I've never had before... it literally felt like my brain got that wave of panic that I usually feel in my chest/stomach...

What is wrong with me?

I have so much experience with this it actually makes me depressed to think about, lol.

Here is what I can offer you:

You and I have spoken about BZD withdrawal in the past, and I have told you the consequences (some more dire than others) that I've experienced from it. These 'brain zaps' (best way to describe them) have been consistent symptoms in the past of BZD withdrawal.

They are also symptomatic of SSRI withdrawal. They are also symptomatic of treatment with Buspar (an anti-anxiety medication that is an antagonist of a specific subset of serotonin receptors in the brain).

Are you on any serotonergic medications at the moment? I vividly recall the ugly brain zaps I would get every time I stood up or attempted to move during withdrawal from Effexor, and I have a bottle of Buspar in my house that I'd hoped against all hope would help me taper off of benzodiazepines by cutting my anxiety. Instead, it did nothing psychiatrically except reliably precipitate - you guessed it - terrifying brain zaps. I actually used etizolam to stop the brain zaps I got from Buspar. Ah! The irony.

Regardless of that, I would not worry as much about the brain zaps precipitating a seizure. IME, they are more symptomatic of the serotonergic system being deprived of its normal release-and-absorb activity in the neuronal synapse. What I am more concerned about, after reading your post, is that you say you are on a "Xanax taper." Is this taper under the supervision of a doctor? If so, why are you using such a short-acting benzo?

According to my experience, the experience of others, and the Ashton Manual, you reaaaalllllyy ought to be tapering using a BZD with a superior half-life. Next to something like triazolam, alprazolam is like the crack of benzos. A quick spike in your system, followed by rapid pharmacokinetic metabolism and excretion from the body.

Ideal examples would be Valium (diazepam) or Librium (chlordiazepoxide), although I do not recommend the latter. It is the prototypical benzodiazepine with ugly effects.

Please keep us updated on your condition...
<3

Thanks so much Vaya!

I am not taking any serotogenic drugs- Xanax is the only thing I'm taking and I stopped the etizolam because it gave me major rebound anxiety.

I am not under the supervision of a doctor for the taper... I'm afraid it I go to her for it and ask to taper I'll be labeled and cut off forever from meds that help me. However, I DID make an appointment with a psychiatrist who can better help and control my meds. I love my pcp, but I don't think she's the best for my psychiatric care.

I guess since my recent seizure episode I just have a huge fear of seizures now...

The problem with Xanax, for a taper, can be elucidated from the following quotation:

The binding of benzodiazepines to the GABA receptors is most intense in the cerebral cortex. Some benzodiazepines, such as Xanax and Halcion, bind especially tightly, increasing their tendency to produce more intense sedation and hypnosis, and also more severe cognitive deficits, behavioral abnormalities, rebound, and withdrawal.

So I just wanted to throw that out there, for your benefit.
Halcion's the biggest pain in the ass, however at least it's half-life is a mere 2 hours!
BEST OF LUCK!!

Edit: as I, myself, read through this article, I'm finding more and more about Xanax that I think pertains to your situation. Here's another quotation, take it for what it's worth!

Mania, a psychosis, is a special danger in regard to Xanax. The Drug Facts and Comparisons (p. 1440) makes a specific reference to Xanax in this regard, stating that Anger, hostility and episodes of mania and hypomania have been noted with alprazolam.

The fact that mania is a particular risk with Xanax is generally recognized. As another example, Maxmen and Ward's Psychotropic Drug Fast Facts (1995, p. 287) states that manic reactions are Most often reported with alprazolam.

It also states that rage reactions and violent episodes have especially been observed with Xanax and Valium. Yet another example is The Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy (Third edition, 1995, p. 177) by Hyman, Arana, and Rosenbaum.

It singles out Xanax to observe Increased impulsiveness, euphoria, and frank mania have been reported with alprazolam.

Props to neversickanymore for posting a link to this article somewhere in a thread far, far away... I've found myself referencing it a lot!

Last edited:
when you say brain zaps do you mean like your arm or leg or body just kinda jump for a split second uncontrolably? ive been getting that after my xanax ran out early. as much as id like to not get this next refil, i know i will because im getting strange pains that only first started after stopping benzos. did a mini taper so i wasnt too bad off.

The problem with Xanax, for a taper, can be elucidated from the following quotation:

So I just wanted to throw that out there, for your benefit.
Halcion's the biggest pain in the ass, however at least it's half-life is a mere 2 hours!
BEST OF LUCK!!

Edit: as I, myself, read through this article, I'm finding more and more about Xanax that I think pertains to your situation. Here's another quotation, take it for what it's worth!

Props to neversickanymore for posting a link to this article somewhere in a thread far, far away... I've found myself referencing it a lot!

Wow thanks so much!!!

That defines what I'm experiencing to a T...

when you say brain zaps do you mean like your arm or leg or body just kinda jump for a split second uncontrolably? ive been getting that after my xanax ran out early. as much as id like to not get this next refil, i know i will because im getting strange pains that only first started after stopping benzos. did a mini taper so i wasnt too bad off.

My actual head. Like it feels like my brain gets butterflies in it...strange..I know

Here is some more info on benzo withdrawal.. I belive allot of what is contained in here may put your mind at rest <3<3 your all good, please switch to a long acting and taper down until you are sick of that and have some time to make the jump off. You will need to see a doctor if and when you reach this point to get a drug like librium to prevent any life threatening consequences. Lov ya AD<3

Benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome

Whenever I try to describe 'brain zaps' to people (and see if you agree), I tell them that even though I would be standing still, it would feel as though my actual head lurched forward at high velocity for a split second accompanied by a half-sensation of receiving a minor shock. But all in the head. Just walking LURCH-ZAP "Wait, wha-" LURCH-ZAP. it's just so... weirdly unpleasant and disconcerting!

Very cool! I had always wondered if anyone had shared my subjective experience