Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Full Metal Jacket

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Eyes Wide Shut

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
the former.

here, utfse is a commandment.

Yeah... but any mod with a shred of empathy & humanity will just quietly merge, rather than throw a hissy fit over something unimportant. :D

(As appeared to happen here)

Edit: Just watched Paths of Glory recently for the first time - outstanding! First World War in the French army, in black & white, didn't sound too great, but it's well worth the effort of the first 10 minutes or so. Brilliant.

I know right?

Eyes wide shut... So much thought put into that it's absurd.

Really every single film is just... So great.

Yes! So much thought and time he spends with each scene to perfection. Dream Story was good, the book it was based on iirc, but the movie so much better. Usually ime the book is better. The book wasn't set in modern times either… and was not in NY

Last edited:
but it's well worth the effort of the first 10 minutes or so. Brilliant.
i think it's one of his best all the way through. but then i think that of almost all of his movies :)

it captures brilliantly the bonkersness of war.

alasdair

^ I just watched Paths of Glory for the first time today too. It didn't feel like a complete story, but it did portray an element of humanity that is so horrible that it is hard to communicate, namely how many of us, without exception to people with high places in society like officers, will cease to look at other people as human when it suits them and when the squeeze gets put on them. In a way, it almost made this a bit palatable. It didn't strike me as a disturbing movie for a film with such a dark focus. I am glad I saw it though because Colonel Dax is such a memorable character. In a way, he seems like a particular view on what it is to be integral and courageous.

My favs were generally the same as lots of others...clock work, shining, and full metal..ive never googled him, so i didnt realize how many films he actually made..gives me a bunch of new movies to watch, as ive enjoyed all the ones ive seen so far.

The Kubrick exhibition in Toronto - some interesting stuff there.

J50a35n.jpg

Have to say 2001 is tops, after that it's probably The Shining, Full Metal Jacket then I can't really rate the rest. They're all so great. The man is a master film maker. Every film he made is perfect. There are no holes in his film making.

Have you seen the first 6 in the list? (I haven't.)

I love how after every time I watch a Kubrick film, I end up reading and researching about it for hours. Personally, I believe that The Shining is the ultimate Kubrick's masterpiece.

The Shining is good but so loosely based off of the novel itself that it is almost an insult to Stephen King whom I believe took it that way. I like A Clockwork Orange.

Clockwork Orange, 2001, The Shining. Eyes Wide Shut… (actually good compared to the book Dream Story).

Absolutely - Hope you enjoy it. It's not set in modern times but worth a read if you've seen Eyes Wide Shut. :)