Votes: 1 1.3%
  • The Shining

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Full Metal Jacket

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Eyes Wide Shut

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
I watched Lolita with my girlfriend right after I warmed up her bottle.

Bad jokes aside, Eyes Wide Shut, the late great Pollack, in particular, is the winner for me.

Watched Barry Lyndon for the first time about a week ago. Fucking great - the way it was shot it simply will not be dated for picture quality. Pretty sure Kubrick used all natural light to film it, which was amazing and produced some amazing indoor scenes. Excellent acting, excellent direction - I like the story a lot, and may have to put this as number 2 or number 1.5 next to Eyes Wide Shut.

i can't wait to see a blu-ray version of barry.

You'll be blown away man. I watched an mpeg 4 version and it still looked fantastic. In wikipedia they go into depth about the way it was shot, what camera was used, etc. Some of the scenes look outrageously like old works of art thanks to the candle lighting used in some scenes. Very impressive film, Blu Ray will make it incredible.

yeah i know. i've seen this living painting a few times on dvd. love it.

i love the language as much as the pictures. i wish we still spoke like that. when i watch it i feel like a barbaric imbecile.

i saw this quote by dicaprio "I don’t even define 2001 as a film; it’s more of a religious experience." and that's kind of how i feel about the shining...except last time i watched it it wasn't so much a religious experience as it was a schizophrenic breakdown.

it was so unrelentingly overwhelming. i look back and equate it to how i imagine i would feel after sticking my finger in an electric socket.

plus the movie is gorgeous on blu ray.

This was a very hard decision for me but i went with A Clockwork Orange, but i haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut or 2001 a space odyssey. i really like Lolita, too. the shining comes in my third place.

I know I will probably be spat on, but . . .

worse

APTHROW.jpg

^lol. hnif, dif'rent strokes for dif'rent pokes.

there's another kubrick poll btw. check out the index.

FMJ ftw. I truely love his work but this one was the one that spoke to me the most when I was growing up.

Acclaimed filmmaker Stanley Kubrick was responsible for three shorts and thirteen features throughout his lifetime.

Of those thirteen features, five have emerged as true cornerstones of cinema - "2001," "Dr. Strangelove," "A Clockwork Orange," "Full Metal Jacket" and "The Shining". Another five aren't as unanimously praised but are generally considered classics in their own right - "Barry Lyndon," "Paths of Glory," "Spartacus," "Eyes Wide Shut" and "Lolita".

The remaining three however, his low-budget first three films which were released in the mid-50's, are generally not widely known outside of Kubrick fans and cinemaphile circles. While "The Killing" and "Killer's Kiss" are easy to obtain on Amazon and the like, his first feature-length effort "Fear and Desire" has proven a collector's item which most have only been able to see through dodgy online copies or very low quality VHS copies of copies. Until now that is.

George Eastman House ran a special screening of the film in Los Angeles recently from an original "not necessarily complete" negative. The company inherited a collapsing distributor’s film library recently, including that partial negative which came from a Puerto Rican film lab's storage vault which had been shut down years ago.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the company is now talking about a "major restoration effort" on the film which would see a high-quality DVD release of the title sometime down the road.

It's generally thought that negative is the only official copy in existence. The film itself earned a reputation as being a work Kubrick himself was not a fan of at all, and purportedly tried to remove the film from circulation however he could.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18314/stanley-kubrick-lost-film-finally-found

^ paths of glory is a glorious exposé of military obstinacy. the final outcome seems so frustratingly certain that it makes me uncomfortable from the beginning of the movie to the unsurprising, but no less shocking for it, end.

i would bet that it's in the top 3 'kubrick films people have never seen' which i too bad because it is excellent.

alasdair

I honestly can not decide between dr. strangelove and 2001.

fwiw, I would have loved to see what he would have done with A.I.

It's generally thought that negative is the only official copy in existence. The film itself earned a reputation as being a work Kubrick himself was not a fan of at all, and purportedly tried to remove the film from circulation however he could...
...and we shall respect and honour his wishes by releasing it on DVD now that he's dead.

for every dvd sold, a homeless person will shit on SK's grave.

buy one today :D

I voted The Shining; i love the book over that any day tho. However i have a soft spot for eyes wide shut ever since i watched it while jet lagged & stoned for the first time in months...