• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Been using too much dex, now it won't work, will it work again?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
So, I'm prescribed 20mg instant release dexadrine twice daily, though my doses have usually been 17.5, and honestly, I know I need to stop using it almost completely because of certain side effects and will in a month when I have summer break from my job, but I know that right now I am certainly psychologically dependent and probably have some physical dependency, though most sites say that physical WD symptoms disapear within 5 days --2 weeks so that shouldn't be bad.

Anyways, I have been taking it daily and also drinking too much, and I got drunk wednesday night, then had to get up early for work on Thursday on only 3 hours of sleep and took a lot of dex thursday (I think the first dose was 22.5 and then 2--25mg doses) then was stupid and got drunk again and was on the dex late that night so my sleep was RAPED for days.

Yesterday I SHOULD have taken a day off (today as well), but i didn't, and when I took my first dose yesterday it made me feel HORRIBLE. I stupidly took a 2nd dose, and while it did not make me feel bad, for the first 2 of the 4 hours it lasts for me I FELT ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...not bad, not good, just as if I hadn't taken it......the last 2 hours I felt some nervous stimulation and that was it and then felt VERY awake when it wore off.

Once again today I should NOT have taken it, but woke up feeling like shit (cause obviously my sleep was effected by the dex) so took it, and now I don't feel too great, not as bad as the first time I took it yesterday, but NOT as if I had taken it.....kind of tired, but mostly emotional and sort of upset.

I know these are side effects and I'm not taking anymore today after this wears off or tomorrow, but I have work Monday, and I have never worked this particular job without being on Dexadrine and because I think I am somewhat physically dependent I will probably feel bad if I DON'T take it, but I MIGHT feel bad if I do.

Why is this happening, and do you think it's possible if I take tomorrow off that a night of sleep that is unaffected by the Dex might allow it to work for me when I need it again on Monday??

Do you think this is a case of me just having too much sleep debt and need for quality sleep and so the Dexadrine will not work for some reason but will work again once I am properly rested?

Why else would it just STOP working?

Cause what happened to me yesterday (and to some extent today) has NEVER happened before, where I'd take it and feel either really bad the whole time, or NOT AT ALL the next dose.

Thanks

Does anyone have an explanation for why yesterday and today Dex didn't work for me and made me feel either bad or not much of anything when it's never happened before?

I remember hearing one poster once say that sometimes if you are REALLY tired amphetamines won't work for you for some reason, like maybe your body just knows it needs sleep and something happens with dopamine or whatever and your body refuses to except any substitute.

I'm just hoping that if now I get some better quality sleep it starts responding for me again.

If the drug feels like it's no longer having an effect, it's because you raised your tolerance to the drug. It's as simple as that. For amphetamines in particular this is true, as they tend to jack up tolerance relatively quickly.

Take a break, then use the drug again and see how it treats ya

If the drug feels like it's no longer having an effect, it's because you raised your tolerance to the drug. It's as simple as that. For amphetamines in particular this is true, as they tend to jack up tolerance relatively quickly.

Take a break, then use the drug again and see how it treats ya

Yeah, I mean I know I raised my tolerance, but having it work literally 24 hours earlier, and then the following day the first dose making me feel REALLY bad and the second not working?

Then again today not working?

I think it could perhaps be more biochemical than ONLY high tolerance and related to the fact that my body does just need a break and more quality sleep, so I'm not gonna use it tomorrow, but the day after that I have work and I think if I DON'T take it while working I might feel bad because I do have a mild dependency, but if I do and it doesn't agree with me I could feel bad so I don't know what to do but I'm guessing I'll take it anyway.

I mean, I'd rather not, but I haven't worked this job so far while not being on it and I wonder if I'll really be able to on monday if I don't take it.

There was a poster, I think it's that mod Speed--something or other, who once said something like "amphetamines work best when your body is in harmony and you are sleeping well and eating well etc." and I remember him or another poster saying that sometimes if you aren't sleeping well enough your body will temporarily not respond well to amphetamines and that it might have to do something with dopamine or whatever.

I think that they MIGHT be correct and that maybe if I just sleep better tonight and tomorrow night HOPEFULLY it will work again.

I mean really, could it ONLY be tolerance?

If that was the case why would it have made me feel so bad when I took it yesterday?

And wouldn't I then just be able to take more and feel it?

Also, yesterday when I took it wasn't just like it didn't work at all, what happened was is I took it in the morning and I could feel it kicking in and the whole typical "come up" which is always a good feeling and you can feel yourself speeding up and starting to get euphoric and everything just like I always do from around the point of about 30 mins after I took it to about the one hour and 15 minute mark (it typically takes 45 to fully kick in and about 1 hour and 15 to peak) but then once it got to that peaking point, suddenly the euphoric come up feeling went away and I felt HORRIBLE.

My body was clearly feeling the drug starting to gradually take effect, but once it reached peak plasma levels suddenly I felt like shit.

So is that tolerance?

I mean, what's that about?

I think that you're overthinking it. Your body seems to be telling you to take it less, or else why would we even be talking about it right now? So ease up on it

Last edited:
I think that you're overthinking it. Your body seems to be telling you to take it less, or else why would we even be talking about it right now? So ease up on it

Yeah, I mean that's my plan and I don't want to be taking it at all and was planning on stopping in a month when my work ends for the summer, but what I'm concerned about is what if when I have to work on Monday and Wednesday if I feel worse NOT taking it than when I DO take it?

I think I am physically dependent and I feel bad when I don't take it, but sometimes also when I do, so I don't know whether or not I'll be able to skip it Monday and do my job effectively.

Will I be able to recover from how bad I feel from using it right now after taking less for a while?

And while I can skip it tomorrow, what about when I have to work on Monday?

Could my body adjust if I don't take it tomorrow so that I respond to it better by Monday?

Should I just try to not take it at all even if I feel bad and like I need it to do my job effectively?

The only way to get the effects to return is to take a lengthy break. Catch up on your sleep, start eating healthier, etc. The effects will return but not without patience.

Well, I took today off, but sometimes when I don't take it I feel some kind of withdrawal sort of, though it might not be classic WD, but i have to work tomorrow, so it's a question of risking feeling bad from skipping a dose, or feeling bad from taking it if it doesn't agree with me.

I will probably just take it before work and if it feels bad then work through it and let it wear not take it again.

Dexadrine in general is very finicky for me in that sometimes when I take it it feels good and sometimes it feels bad, sometimes both within the same 4 hours, but the last 2 days are the only days I barely felt any good effects, only bad ones, and one time didn't feel much of anything good or back.

A tolerance break is a good idea, but I still have to work, and the question is whether I'll get work done better with it or without it.

I guess I have no choice but to either not take it a risk not working as well cause I'm not on it, or take it and see what happens.

Either way, I guess I'll be alright.

Your best option is to take a long break, you've hit a wall. If you keep taking amp you are going to keep pushing your mind and body, you will get worse, not better.

They prescribe amphetamine for daily use but in my (non medical professional/experience based) opinion it should not be taken daily long term. Believe me, you will feel fatigued for at least the first week or two but the payoff is that you get to actually feel good without amphetamine. The bad feelings get more frequent the more often you use.

I know it's easy to give in to the mentality of taking more to feel alright instead of riding out the withdrawals. Please for the sake of your mental and physical health, take a tolerance break.

take a break NOW. ive been in your position and kept on going and now it is impossible for me to get any euphoria from it at any dose. I kept going as the side effects kept creeping up outweighing the positive effects. even after a 3 year break it just does not come back. I really regret not taking a break as it ruined it for me.