• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Other Any chess players here?

How do you study it? I’ve been stuck at between 800-1000 on the 3 minute one for a while, I’m not seeming to get better
there are many ways to get better at chess...

Study early game, middle game and late game things. Places like chess.com have great resource of learning stuff but you may need to subscribe.

Watch videos, learn openings, buy books, play higher rated people, play tactical puzzles, play endgame puzzles, learn learn learn. There are many ways to learn chess.

Me personally I loved buying books about openings, my favorite part of the game to study.

There is some amazing video content around that wasn't available when I was a kid.

If you can learn a basic opening repertoire and get decent with basic tactic these 2 skills can easily take you to 1500+ rating.

I'm a club player, around 2000 ELO in Lichess!

Have been studying with a coach and doing daily tactics, which helps a lot!!
Lichess blitz?
I think my blitz elo has been stuck around 1990 for a year now, too afraid to touch it! Massively out of form, kinda lost the love for playing.
I'm down to get rekt (blitz only) if you want to one of these days

Wow I didn't realize there was a chess scene on Bluelight! I'm so excited to make this discovery! My name is Trey and I am currently living at a little beach town on the East Coast of North Carolina. I was in the mountains in Asheville, North Carolina, but I recently had to move back home where I'm about to get a hip surgery.

I'm not that great but I regularly watch chess and follow chess tournaments. I really enjoy playing and want to get better. Current chess.com rating is 1200. I'm pretty decent at tactics and theory but suck at openings. No discipline. 😭

💜

Last edited:
I'm not that great but I regularly watch chess and follow chess tournaments. I really enjoy playing and want to get better. Current chess.com rating is 1200. I'm pretty decent at tactics and theory but suck at openings. No discipline. 😭

💜
I identify with this!
Last year I watched a lot of chess, these Grand Chess Tours with an epic Carlsen - Nakamura rivalry were very fun. I did get a little burnt out with it. Looking forward to the world championship match though :)

Yeah same! I did wanna actually learn openings, though. I've been having a lot of success with the Vienna system.

Always down to play a few matches if anyone wants!

💜

i can teach you some good openings right now if you want, I have a lot of them memorized through repetition

I'm a club player, around 2000 ELO in Lichess!

Have been studying with a coach and doing daily tactics, which helps a lot!!
Love LiChess best example of opensource done right I've ever seen. So many features, but I LOVE WATCHING THE HIGHEST RATINGS DUKE IT OUT, literally like a 24/7 live professional chess matches stream going on lmfao. So many features too, it really IMO is very comparable to Chess.com they just have quite a few more training puzzles, videos. Analysis that CHess.com uses to compare to Lichess'es gotta be premium as well. Chess.com is amazing for free play, but @Snafu of the Forest if you don't use lichess check it out. https://lichess.org/ just not 1 advertisement, and features always being added, anyone can help develop the website. I will check out the chess blue-light group.

Been on TrippSit most days last couple months. Ive been helping be one of the live chat harm reduction guy, It's easier for me with my disorganized communication style since I am a numbers science guy. Trying to become a Mod*** there as they upgrade the entire website. Friend's been very sick too so chess sometime soon wouldn't hurt, you can kick my ass but hey that's okay Ill join the group now!

if anyone wants to play a few blitz games today hit me up
Id like to point out my terrible grammar is from the fact that I wasn't even supposed to post that.... was falling asleep trying to stay online fighting my barely conscious coherent state.
Been pretty clean last the last month minus my never ending dependency to mirtazapine .

Christ im deleting that I can't believe I posted that. But lichess is amazing.

Last edited:
I was somewhat of a prodigy chess player when I was young. Got 2nd place at the big US national scholastic chess championship back in the day with my team. Was personally ranked 48th in the nation. I guess I was decent.

Just curious if anyone else here plays or played chess in the past.

Trying to get back into it, but it's hard to find the time to play as seriously as I did back then.

Recent study came out which stated that professional chess players can burn up to 6000 calories per day playing professional chess... and you're just sitting there using your brain... it's definitely a sport!

Great game... in fact I'd say it's more than just a game... it's two people sitting down trying to crush the ego of eachother without moving or speaking... it's art... it's sport...

I may be the only serious chess player in history who left a tournament half way through, forfeiting, to go get high on heroin...

Funny where life takes you.
48th in the nation! That is very impressive. On chess.com I'm a solid 1500 player. Taken 2 years to come up from the 1200s which I was stuck at for a long time.

Chess seems to come natural to some. I'm probably half as good as you are or were and that's better than most.